Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

"Error: failed to connect audio" on connect

Product
ITCH
Version
-
Hardware
Vestax VCI-300 +
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
ohsynap 4:58 AM - 4 September, 2010
Product: itch
Hardware: vestax-vci-300||no-fx-controller
Computer: pc
OS Version: win764
---

I have been using a Vestax VCI-300 for last several months very happily with my main laptop. I recently went about a week without using it, and upon booting up ITCH found that I was always getting the "Error: failed to connect audio!!" message and hardware showing as disconnected, even though the controller was clearly on.

I have spent a number of hours combing these forums and support and not found anything that works. Things I have tried include:
-Getting a power adapter rather than using usb power.. failed
-Trying multiple USB ports.. failed
-unplugging all other USB devices.. failed
-Upgrading from ITCH 1.5 to ITCH 1.7.. failed
-Reinstalling ITCH and VCI-300 drivers multiple times.. failed
-Deleting database v2 and rebuilding.. failed
-uninstalling my webcam drivers.. failed

I installed ITCH on a friend's laptop and confirmed that the VCI-300 worked fine, so the issue is not with the hardware or cable.

Thoughts?? This is very frustrating :(
ohsynap 5:06 AM - 4 September, 2010
Btw, when the device is on and connected I see the power light, platters are on and blue, and few buttons are lit up when ITCH is turned on. I can spin the platters and they turn red, then blue when I release. Fiddling with anything has the "Data" light turn on as expected.

Also tried toggling the "THRU" switch with no result.

All device drivers show up in Windows. I can successfully play audio through the VCI-300 from ITCH in offline mode when the device is on and set as default playback device.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 1:31 AM - 6 September, 2010
Hi ohsynap,

Could you please let me know your computer specifications? (processor, RAM, HD, OS)
ohsynap 2:27 AM - 6 September, 2010
It's an ASUS m50sa laptop. 4th RAM, dual core 2.6ghz Intel processor, 2x200gb HDs. Running 64 bit win7. As I said, it worked great on this machine for over a month.
ohsynap 2:28 AM - 6 September, 2010
4GB of RAM*
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 5:05 AM - 6 September, 2010
Are you logged in as an administrator for Windows?
ohsynap 5:20 AM - 6 September, 2010
Yes. I also just tried explicitly running it as an Administrator (right click->Run as Administrator). Same thing.
ohsynap 5:17 AM - 9 September, 2010
Ping - Lack of responses makes me :(
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 5:47 AM - 10 September, 2010
Hey ohsynap,

Sorry for the delayed response. We are a man down here at the moment. I will try and get some more information from the development team to get you up and running as soon as possible. In the meantime could you run the DPC latency checker tool and upload the results to the thread please? There is an article which explains how to do this here:

www.serato.com
6:14 AM, 10 Sep 2010
ohsynap attached a file: computer-dpcisr-report.txt
Download· Permalink
ohsynap 6:38 AM - 10 September, 2010
See attached. Note that track I played (following provided instructions) was just through offline mode on itch, though the sound was going through the controller.

Feature request - I assume somewhere ITCH got a stack trace about why this error is occurring. I understand the bad user experience of showing this on the main UI, but it would be super helpful for debugging if it were being logged somewhere else, and there was some straightforward way for the end user to figure that out and find it.

As an aside, this is probably a known bug but I was looking through the windows event viewer and found many instances of a SideBySide error associated with ITCH and ScratchLIVE. With some experimentation it seems to be happening every time I launch the application. It has been happening since I installed the program (well before this issue), but I cannot confirm whether it has always occurred every time I launched ITCH.

The message is this: "Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Serato\ITCH\Microsoft.VC80.MFC\MFC80U.DLL". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8
b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50608.0"could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis."

I confirmed that Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC folder exists but has the wrong file versions, 8.0.50727.42. Fix seems to be addressed here: www.wilderssecurity.com
ohsynap 3:39 AM - 17 September, 2010
Ended up buying a new computer so that I could use my VCI-300 again. Guessing I will not be able to get it working on my old machine again given that it has been 2 weeks without any useful information from the Serato team. <3
CLeveL 3:17 AM - 12 October, 2010
"Error: failed to connect audio! Same thing is happening to me, went a couple of weeks without using ITCH on my HP, works great with MacBook Pro, still no answers?????????
CLeveL 3:32 AM - 12 October, 2010
NS7, software updated says Hardware Disconnected...... HP G60-247CL, Win Vista, AMD Turion Dual-Core RM-72, 2.10 GHz, RAM 3.0 GB, 32 Bit OS, SvcPack 2, 300GB HD (209 GB free), I only use it for gigs and it has been previously working fine. Used for over a year doing gigs, never had any trouble!!!!