Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Mpeg Streamclip tutorial: How to convert visual clips for use in VSL!

DJ Tecniq 9:45 PM - 1 September, 2010
Okay this is just a helpful tip for those that could not get ambient, shadow dancer, visual clips to convert for use in VSL. I have finally figured it out. Using handbrake WILL not work! All you need is Mpeg Streamclip.

Here's the steps.

1. 1st you need mpeg streamclip,

2. 2nd the quicktime mpeg2 plugin.

3. Open Mpeg streamclip go to your dvd/vob files drag it into mpeg streamclip. Make sure you highlight all vob files and drag them into mpeg streamclip it will read it as a dvd and pick which chapter u want to convert. Whether it's ambient, shadow dancer or a visual.

4. In mpeg streamclip click file then export to mpeg-4. Done! It will convert your ambient, shadow dancer, visual clip. You may want to mess with mpeg streamclips settings to get the best results. There's a thread somewhere on the forum for mpeg streamclip best settings when converting video files.

Note for shadow dancer clips: If you want to delete the audio track here's how to do it. When you click "export to mpeg-4" a tab will pop up with settings, In the "sound" section up top click the down arrow and click "no sound". This way when you play a song file and attach the shadow dancer clip to that song it will not have shadow dancers audio, DONE!

if you follow these steps it'll work. I have done it and already have assigned a few ambient & shadow dancer clips. Mpeg Streamclip will not fail you. Your welcome : )
DJ Tecniq 9:49 PM - 1 September, 2010
If this has been talked about already sorry I'm just trying to give back to the forum. This is for everyone who could not convert their ambient, shadow dancer or visual clip to use in VSL. If you have probs or these steps fail you plz send me a message i'd be happy to help.
DJ Tecniq 9:57 PM - 1 September, 2010
Special thanx to Carter!
Mpeg Streamclip settings for converting MP4:

Drag and drop to vob, mpeg, or other video file to MPEG Streamclip window
File->Export to other format
Once the window is open:
Format: Mpeg4 then click options. File Format: MP4 (not ISMA), video format: h264, data rate and image size will be done on the main screen, frame rate: current, key frame every 20 frames. Video Options: Main, Single Pass (Faster Encode) click ok. Audio tab: AAC-LC (music), 224kbps, stereo, 48k, better. Click ok.
Back to the main screen click "Limit Data Rate." You can choose your own data rate. I use 3000 and adjust according to the file size I want. Frame size: Again personal choice. A lot of people choose the unscaled selection, which for PO would be 720x480. I use other and scale to 640x360 and then crop letterboxes. Leave frame rate blank (you've already selected current under options. I leave Interlaced scaling and reinterlace chroma unchecked and then check deinterlace ONLY after previewing and seeing if it actually needs deinterlacing. However with PO they pretty much all need to be deinteralced. Field dominance: Upper. Rotation: No. Zoom: 100%. If you use unscaled leave cropping unchecked. If you are wanting to get rid of the black bars select cropping. You will need to preview a few times to get the cropping exactly right. For the older PO videos you won't need to crop, but it WILL stretch the videos to fit if you don't. 60 off of the top and 60 off of the bottom will give you a perfect fit on those videos. The same can be done for the other videos as well, but you will still have some letterbox at the top of those. Also with PO you'll need to take about 8 off of each side too. No idea why they're there on some videos. After you've previewed and have everything set, I use Adjustments and check Automatic Volume Control.
I have mine saved as a preset that I labelled SSL. So anytime I load up MPEG I can go right to that preset and I only have to adjust cropping.
If you want to do a whole bunch of files at once, go back to the main screen of MPEG (where the main video window is). Click List and then Batch List. Now there are two ways to do this. 1. You can do it individually by going through the steps above and at the end of that sequence you will have a button that says "To Batch" instead of "Ok."
OR 2. you can click "Add Files" in the Batch window. It will then ask you what files. You can click on a whole folder or select individual files out of a folder. Once you have your files it will ask you to choose a task. Export to other formats and leave all of the others unchecked. It will then ask you where to export those files to. Once you've chosen that you are back at the settings window. Once you have the settings you want click "To Batch" and then in the batch window click "Go." There is also a space in the batch window to do simultaneous tasks. If you have a dual core or quad core you can do 2. I wouldn't go any higher than that. It's really taxing on your system.
moneybee 6:54 AM - 27 July, 2011
do you know why so vob give me Error: Can't set data for the new movie?
Dj Ace 4:56 AM - 11 December, 2011
Where can I buy some shadow dancer visuals already ripped for use in VSL
DJ Tecniq 2:52 AM - 12 December, 2011
Quote:
do you know why so vob give me Error: Can't set data for the new movie?
Some vob's tend to give errors. Maybe the vob's are locked somehow.
DJ Tecniq 2:53 AM - 12 December, 2011
Quote:
Where can I buy some shadow dancer visuals already ripped for use in VSL
Not really sure since they are originally vob format.
Dj Ace 4:15 AM - 12 December, 2011
thanks for responding.... I found some at: www.vjworld.com