Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Xone DX arrives tomorrow, so a few questions

Product
ITCH
Version
-
Hardware
Allen & Heath Xone:DX +
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Ian Williams 2:17 PM - 25 August, 2010
Product: itch
Hardware: allen-heath-xonedx||no-fx-controller
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.6.4
---

Hi there

I'm currently running a VCI 300 with Itch 1.5 for gigs & test Itch 1.7 beta at home. I'm really happy with this rig, but because i'd like 4 decks, more headphone volume & a better quality soundcard, i've just brought a Xone DX off ebay.

The new toy arrives tomorrow, but I'd like to hit the ground running when it gets here. ....so I have a few questions;

1. What version of Itch should I be running on the DX? I'm presuming I need 1.6, but if somebody could confirm, that would be great.

2. I know the mic input goes in to the software & comes up on channel 4. Can somebody confirm how I should be using the gain & EQ? It looks like I have a hardware volume control & two band EQ on the front of the DX, but this is then duplicated in software. ....should I leave the "hardware" EQ flat, & EQ in software, or the other way round?.

3. Anything else I should be doing before the new toy arrives?

Cheers

IAN
luckee_d 7:41 PM - 25 August, 2010
1st download RC2, I would not recommend using 1.6 at all (very unstable)
2nd update your dx firmware from A&H website
3rd update your drivers for your PC/Mac from A&H website. Serato want to explain the rest???

Should be good to go!

Hope this helps...

:)
cnewton 11:41 PM - 25 August, 2010
you can update the dx firmware from the betas. the firmware on the a&h site wont have the updates for 1.7

agree 1.6 is rubbish, stay away!

i dont think you will need driver updates as ur running mac.( not sure tho)

oh and dont believe the dx manual too much, half is wrong, and the rest has been changed in 1.7. lol so the manual is a good starting point, but experimenting is the best way to catch all the sneaky features!
luckee_d 2:42 AM - 26 August, 2010
Yeah you have to dig thru all the beta updates to see all the changes, I hope Serato will publish an updated manual with the final release. As far as drivers, I do not know about Mac, I am on PC. Let me know how it goes, I know with RC2 there have been some issues on Macs but hopefully you are a lucky Mac user, hehehe:)
Ian Williams 9:03 AM - 26 August, 2010
So avoid 1.6 & go straight to 1.7 RC2.

I know it's still technically in Beta, but is 1.7 stable enough for gigging? (just concerned about the "issues" mentioned by luckee_d) ....I can always use Traktor for a few weeks! ;-)

Anybody got any thoughts about my mic channel questions? I do a fair bit of up-market corporate work, & if i'm confident about the stability of this system I intend using the xone as my main mixer for the mic as well (rather than feeding the output in to a second mixer, just to add the mic in to the mix).
cnewton 1:35 PM - 26 August, 2010
1.7 rc3 is very stable. think there will be a final release soon anyway.

as far as the mic goes, if you have the usb buffer set to the lowest then the mic can be usable, but this is definitly one of the biggest downfalls of the dx, as the mic channel runs through the software so if you have a buffer of about 10 or more then you get that across the mic, which is quite distracting.
just julius17 4:28 PM - 26 August, 2010
hi there!
i am receiving my DX tomorrow as well. This might sound ignorant, what is a 'RC2'?
your help is appreciated... thanks..
cnewton 5:43 PM - 26 August, 2010
itch 1.7 is currently in beta testing which means it hasnt officially been released but anyone that wants to help test it is welcomed to.

once the betas have got to the stage where the final release can be made, they go into a stage called "Release Candidate"

so far there have been 3, the third was released today which is why previous posts have mentioned RC2 as in release candidate 2.. we are now on RC3

the area can be found here www.serato.com
just julius17 6:33 PM - 26 August, 2010
thanks for the info and i look forward to the controller!!!
freelancer77 6:57 PM - 26 August, 2010
just went into the forum as 17024 crashed ...

dropped playing on three decks, clicking on crate and itch crahsed....
hard choice ....

I should figure out what i should not to do...
just julius17 2:39 AM - 27 August, 2010
wow?! I've been reading a lot since last October. This sounds like a new issue?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 12:02 AM - 30 August, 2010
Hi Ian,

Quote:
1. What version of Itch should I be running on the DX? I'm presuming I need 1.6, but if somebody could confirm, that would be great.

1.6 is the version that ships with the Xone:DX, however 1.7 contains a lot of bug fixes and feature improvements. As with all beta versions, we recommend that you don't use them when gigging. However the final release of 1.7 should not be too far away! ;)

Quote:
2. I know the mic input goes in to the software & comes up on channel 4. Can somebody confirm how I should be using the gain & EQ? It looks like I have a hardware volume control & two band EQ on the front of the DX, but this is then duplicated in software. ....should I leave the "hardware" EQ flat, & EQ in software, or the other way round?.

There is no Mic EQ in the ITCH software for the Xone:DX, so you make all adjusments on the hardware :)
DJ Kacze 11:57 AM - 3 September, 2010
Hello everybody,
I try it now views with a translation program here since there is no german forum, too bad ;-)

So I use now six weeks since the DX and am of course very enthusiastic, although I initially had problems with our friends but we itch to us.

Now I have the 1.7 version has been completely run through four days and I find it very stable. My PC requirements are not the most optimal, but it runs and runs.

Now hold on tight, my laptop, an MSI VR 603, intel celeron with 3GB of RAM and 160Gb hard drive ... ok I use it only for music and have everything else off.
You can not grad large jumps do with it but it works.

With the satisfaction is immense and I am DX with the 1.7 version, it only shows his true size.

So it was now my first debut in the community.

Greeting
DJ Kacze
just julius17 3:04 AM - 4 September, 2010
I have and issue now that has my beat grid defaulting to 120 BPM? Occasionally, the tracks will start 'a head' of the cue point that was set?

Please advise????

Julius
luckee_d 3:10 AM - 4 September, 2010
Same here this is definitely a bug with the final release...
just julius17 3:16 AM - 4 September, 2010
Granted, I haven't the most responsible for the resources my system. However, I just performed some system 'cleanup maneuvers that will help with the overall performance.

Round 2, then I'll report... Wish me luck....
Coneman Sid 1:57 PM - 4 September, 2010
Does anyone fancy starting a Tips n' Tricks section, sharing our combined effects that we try out, i only just found out that the low + high pass filters work alot better with x knob at zero and u can get Abletons Fade to Grey effect with the high pass filter and delay combined, i think the forum needs to liven up a bit and let the people who love ITCH talk about how good it really is ! !
luckee_d 6:05 PM - 4 September, 2010
Quote:
Does anyone fancy starting a Tips n' Tricks section, sharing our combined effects that we try out, i only just found out that the low + high pass filters work alot better with x knob at zero and u can get Abletons Fade to Grey effect with the high pass filter and delay combined, i think the forum needs to liven up a bit and let the people who love ITCH talk about how good it really is ! !

Lead the way and they shALL FOLLOW :)
Zuck 5:16 PM - 5 September, 2010
Hey Ian. I have a VCI-300 and the DX (got it in March) and one major thing I'd do is rename your 1.5 before loading 1.7 so 1.7 doesn't override your 1.5. Some people with Macs are having dropout issues still so you'll want to keep your 1.5 to run with your VCI incase these issues effect you. I do agree with all above that 1.6 is pointless.

Also, if you were having problems with your mic being delayed or echoing on your VCI know that you'll have the same problems with the DX since the mic still runs through the program and is therefore effected buy your latency settings. When running 4 decks there is more CPU usage so many DX owners are running 2, 5, 10 ms to cut down on CPU usage but that will cause even more mic delays, FYI.
seratosnatch 8:27 PM - 5 September, 2010
just name them like: 1.5 ITCH.. 1.7 XONE..