Off-topic Discussion

That which does not fit elsewhere. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

macbook pro question

[a.g.] 8:51 PM - 24 August, 2010
Anybody use a 13" mbp? How does ssl look? I know its a smaller screen. Im shopping around for a new laptop. Any opinions? Thanks
BriChi 11:17 PM - 24 August, 2010
I use the 13 one, works great for me, I only look at the screen to search and load tracks so it's fine, I even bump the font up a little so the writing in ssl is a little bigger
djbanno 11:27 PM - 24 August, 2010
Quote:
I use the 13 one, works great for me, I only look at the screen to search and load tracks so it's fine, I even bump the font up a little so the writing in ssl is a little bigger

+1
I did the same thing with the font.
[a.g.] 12:22 AM - 25 August, 2010
Quote:

wat r its specs?
djbeats 1:07 AM - 25 August, 2010
same here 13" mbp....

'
BriChi 2:30 AM - 25 August, 2010
It's the aluminium macbook before they named it a pro. I believe its a 2.0 core2duo and it has 4gb RAM and a 500 gb drive.
djbanno 3:25 AM - 25 August, 2010
^^^ Mines the same Macbook (pre pro) with Intel 2.4 core2duo, 4gb RAM and 320gb drive.
[a.g.] 4:01 AM - 25 August, 2010
Quote:
^^^ Mines the same Macbook (pre pro) with Intel 2.4 core2duo, 4gb RAM and 320gb drive.

How well does it run? Im thinking about getting the 2.4ghz core 2 duo, 4gb RAM mbp
djbanno 4:25 AM - 25 August, 2010
Runs extreemly well, never had a crash or dropout yet.
Even with 2.1.
I use it solely as a dj/music computer, but have loaded it up multi tasking (wireless internet running + Audacity) in background whilst spinning 3 decks in Serato to try to find it's limit and it still chugs along with no probs.
I am very happy with it.
Note: I don't spin video or use Ableton (Bridge) so might pay to do some more research if thats the direction you wanna go.
[a.g.] 4:56 AM - 25 August, 2010
Yea i will be using it just for djing not necessarily running multiple apps just ssl n internet for music. Thanks for the input.
[a.g.] 4:57 AM - 25 August, 2010
how about the screen size. does it become straining after using it for a long time?w
djbanno 6:01 AM - 25 August, 2010
Not really, although i do sometimes catch myself moving in for a closer look to catch some of the finer details of the plug ins (FX, sampler).
It was really a decision about value for money for me; I had a strict budget and could either buy a PC with more screen real estate and all the hoo haa that goes along with PC or buy a Mac with a smaller screen and all the specs needed for trouble free SSL for the same price.
I chose the 13'' Mac and am glad i did.

I guess if screen size is an issue you could always get a second (larger) monitor, they are getting cheaper all the time.
I've seen it quite a few times on the setup thread.

By the way, i moved from a 15" PC to this Mac.
[a.g.] 6:03 PM - 25 August, 2010
Im actually on a 17" pc tryna go to a 13" mac. But ssl isnt terrible on 13" screens right? I understand all the small things like fx n sampler might be alot smaller but once i set it up i wouldnt need to look at the screen for it unless i gotta adjust something.
djbanno 10:32 PM - 25 August, 2010
Na mate, it's faaaar from terrible. SSL looks great on the 13" Macs, just a little smaller (obviously). It's not like you will come home from gigs with eye strain headaches or anything like that because of it. I mainly get that from the "eye candy" on the dance floor...lol
I guess coming from 17" to 13" will be "noticeable" but i would'nt sweat it.
Go and check one out at your nearest Mac store.
I think the latest 13" MBP has even higher res again than mine.
[a.g.] 10:43 PM - 25 August, 2010
yea ive actually been peepin the 13" macs for a couple weeks now and i like the size of the actual laptop. just wish i was able to see and/or try ssl on it to know how it is.
djbanno 10:57 PM - 25 August, 2010
Maybe take a screenshot of SSL (jpeg?) on USB to the Mac store and see if they will let you try it on a 13" for size? (sorry if thats a stupid suggestion).
I dunno what else you can do unless you know someone with one.
[a.g.] 12:10 AM - 26 August, 2010
Thanks for the input. I guess ill find out wen i buy it
djbeats 1:17 AM - 26 August, 2010
i use a mbp 2.26 for everything... has a 500gb hd. im running on 2gb of ram. need to upgrade that tho..
djbanno 2:12 AM - 26 August, 2010
Quote:
Thanks for the input. I guess ill find out wen i buy it

Glad to help :)
[a.g.] 3:56 AM - 26 August, 2010
Quote:
i use a mbp 2.26 for everything... has a 500gb hd. im running on 2gb of ram. need to upgrade that tho..

how well does it run? wats your opinion about the screen size?
Sticky K 10:31 AM - 26 August, 2010
anyone using a 13" with VSL?
djbeats 7:00 AM - 28 August, 2010
its cool i have not had any problems at all. i would prefer to have the 15" just for the size of the screen but the size of the 13" is dope.....