DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

los angeles resident djs

allenbina 3:09 AM - 17 February, 2007
Is it worth it? I was having trouble getting steady mobile gigs so a residency was great for the last year, but i miss weekends and getting paid over 500 a night for a few hours of work. What do you think, is it better to be a mobile dj and get paid or do the steady resident gig? im making about 2gs a month working fridays and saturdays, is that good for a spot in la? oh, and they provide all the equipment (doesn't matter, i have my own)
Dj Ryme 3:40 AM - 17 February, 2007
if your in it for the money you shouldnt even be spinnin to begin with. If you do, do it for the love dont do weddings or mobile, they arent as fun and dont have the same energy as a club does. I do clubs and only clubs because that what I love to do, I know it pays shit compared to moible and weddings but I dont care.
Sheeds 3:46 AM - 17 February, 2007
^ Really? I always thought clubs payed more. I'd like to do a club..someday
dj disturbed 3:48 AM - 17 February, 2007
Quote:
^ Really? I always thought clubs payed more. I'd like to do a club..someday

no you get much more as a mobile/wedding dj.. only the big names make the big money from the clubs
allenbina 3:49 AM - 17 February, 2007
i tried to tell my land lord that, but he didnt buy it. nikes arent going to buy themselves and walk to my house. there was only one gig where i got to play what i wanted all night long. i do a job, and i should get paid. considering i live in one of the most lively cities in the country, im surprised that im not getting more mobile gigs. maybe im just out of the loop.
Sheeds 3:50 AM - 17 February, 2007
in that case if they don't even pay shit, i oughta get my ass out there cuz like Ryme said it's all for the love.
DjWoody 3:51 AM - 17 February, 2007
If you're making $2G's a month, shit.... Let me know how you do it! I want in!!! hehehe
allenbina 3:52 AM - 17 February, 2007
ive made anywhere from 400-1000 doing mobile gigs but i was lucky to get one a month. i do more free work for non profit / charity events than i do mobile gigs nowadays. ive heard of people getting over 2000 for large mobile gigs, and I do videos with a projector and 2 flat screens! im lucky if i get 300 on a holiday from the residency. but its so much less stress. i show up, play and leave. no setup, no being extra nice to someone, no sales and no bullshitting people. no packing everything up, moving it into my car, setting up, repacking, reseting, repeat...
allenbina 3:53 AM - 17 February, 2007
working 2 nights a week. no sick days, no excuses. i got one week off in the last year. i miss weekends.
allenbina 3:54 AM - 17 February, 2007
dj woody, dont you have a residency in long beach? hows that working out?
dj disturbed 4:05 AM - 17 February, 2007
i make 2g's+ a month club djing... but i also do it 4-6 days a week
SYK39 10:25 AM - 17 February, 2007
allenbina is so cool.
allenbina 10:56 AM - 17 February, 2007
if im doing the math right, 4-6 days a week comes out to about 50 bucks a night. are you djing all night or is the night split with other djs?
djskeetz 10:59 AM - 17 February, 2007
dont this shit make my niggas wanna jump!
fuck i hate it when i pull my head phones, and the cord rettract, and the tip hits me in the nut sack, god damnit.
That Guy 1 7:29 AM - 18 February, 2007
Quote:
if your in it for the money you shouldnt even be spinnin to begin with.

Oh, stop it.
djivanlopez.com 2:28 PM - 20 February, 2007
I'm a Mobile DJ in L.A.

Wedding and other large scale events (over 125 guests), I charge $1,000 for the first four hours, then $100 for every additional hour. Smaller events, such as house parties or small restaurants, I charge $125 an hour. I tend to do less of the smaller events, but when those come through, they are usually last minute gigs.

Simply put, 3 out of 4 inquiries (emails or calls) are bargain shopping. So, the 1/4 that actually want quality and professional DJ and MC services, I meet in person, which 2/3 sign contracts.

I've noticed that people who end up signing contracts are no longer the same clients, which I had when I started out many years ago. My new clientèle looks more like: college educated, professional (in their line of work), home owner, 25 yr. or older and female.

So... is it worth it?

It all depends on you and the abilities to command your rates, whether it be at a club or mobile event. My advice would be that if you already know the club scene, then "hustle" some more to get more pay. If you switch over to mobile, invest in a good, simple website and be ready to spend a few hundred in advertising via internet or local media.

Taking a quote from your profile, "don't be shy to ask, if you're worth it".
DJ-A 3:55 PM - 20 February, 2007
Quote:
I'm a Mobile DJ in L.A.

Wedding and other large scale events (over 125 guests), I charge $1,000 for the first four hours, then $100 for every additional hour. Smaller events, such as house parties or small restaurants, I charge $125 an hour. I tend to do less of the smaller events, but when those come through, they are usually last minute gigs.

Simply put, 3 out of 4 inquiries (emails or calls) are bargain shopping. So, the 1/4 that actually want quality and professional DJ and MC services, I meet in person, which 2/3 sign contracts.

I've noticed that people who end up signing contracts are no longer the same clients, which I had when I started out many years ago. My new clientèle looks more like: college educated, professional (in their line of work), home owner, 25 yr. or older and female.

So... is it worth it?

It all depends on you and the abilities to command your rates, whether it be at a club or mobile event. My advice would be that if you already know the club scene, then "hustle" some more to get more pay. If you switch over to mobile, invest in a good, simple website and be ready to spend a few hundred in advertising via internet or local media.

Taking a quote from your profile, "don't be shy to ask, if you're worth it".

Where do you get your leads?
djivanlopez.com 12:52 AM - 21 February, 2007
75% come through my site (new clients) using a search engine and myspace send a lot of traffic my way, the rest from previous events where they got one of my cards.
eder 1:25 AM - 1 March, 2007
I've been doing mobile pretty much from day 1. I get all of my leads from cards and word of mouth (just launched my site last December), and I'm having no problem filling @ least one gig a week in the LA area.
eder 1:25 AM - 1 March, 2007
*correction, LA/OC area. damn this no edit feature.
djskeetz 1:37 AM - 1 March, 2007
damn, i only did mobile for 2 years, but now i wont do anything less than 150 dollars an hour, its just not worth my time.