DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Mackie d2 mixer

dj skraps 5:38 PM - 13 February, 2007
just wondering if anyone out there owns this mackie mixer (mackie d2)...right now i have the vestax 07...thinking about getting this mackie....anyone got opinions or comments on this mixer?...this vestax is the only mixer i've owned and i really like it how do the 2 compare in your opinion?
KingDecipha 5:47 PM - 13 February, 2007
I had an older Vestax but current bought the d2 mixer. Personally I really like it. Peeps on here said that I was gonna have problems with the cross fade eventually sticking and I would have to lube it up, but its been working just fine! It looks sick and works perfectly. Plus the spring loaded transformer switches are off the hook... 2 thumbs up.
Crown 5:49 PM - 13 February, 2007
I wish i had an extra pair of hands...

...so i could give that mixer 4 thumbs down!

I dj every saturday @ a club that has this installed. My thoughts:

- not diggin' the crossfader. the club has already returned 1 of the d2s b/c the crossfader wouldn't mute the left turntable when the fader was all the way to the right. This happened after about 1 month's worth of use.
- it's impossible to set a smooth volume curve on the upfaders, even thought they each have curve control. There will always be a massive jump in volume with top 25% of the fader.
- have been experiencing a lot of bleed from the headphone fader.

I will say that the sound is pretty good, though.

I don't have much experience w/ the vestax07 (used to have a 06 a few years back). My opinion? Save up a few more bucks an get a rane 56. Those things are indestructible.
BriChi 6:00 PM - 13 February, 2007
I give the Mackie 4 thumbs down also. The sound quality is good but my channel 1 and 2 sliders are already messed up. If i have them at let's say volume 8 and I quick dropped them down to 0, I hear a loud quickly popping sound as if it's shooting the volume all the way to 10 before 0. I only use this in my office to play around with so for me it's not a big deal, I deal with it. oh yeha, and some of the led's on the right side are blown out already
KingDecipha 6:09 PM - 13 February, 2007
Well alright...
Dj Ace 1200 6:14 PM - 13 February, 2007
Just get yourself a TTM-56. Hold on to that 07, as a backup mixer.
Dj Maxim S 6:36 PM - 13 February, 2007
yes yes yes memememememme! its awsome...but if ur gettin it get it with the usb card and stuff mixer as it is suck...if u completely reduce all the volumes u cant hear a thing thts how gud it is...i wud say head on head wid ranes...
Dj Maxim S 6:37 PM - 13 February, 2007
4 the price there is nutin compared to mackie d2s and its designed very well..even tht 600 pounds allen n heath wont do wat d2 does..
DJ GaFFle 7:13 PM - 13 February, 2007
Quote:
I wish i had an extra pair of hands...

...so i could give that mixer 4 thumbs down!

Lol!

It's a good lOOking mixer though. I like the lights. That's the only downside the the Rane TTM series mixers. The buttons and faceplate is dark. You gotta really know your mixer or you're in trouble in a dark DJ booth.
Crown 7:33 PM - 13 February, 2007
Quote:

That's the only downside the the Rane TTM series mixers. The buttons and faceplate is dark. You gotta really know your mixer or you're in trouble in a dark DJ booth.

I suppose that and the inevitable breaking of the clip on the phone-jack power adapter.

other than that, the 56 is close to perfect.
MusicMeister 3:24 AM - 14 February, 2007
The d.2 is FAR too limiting...

The new d.2 Pro and d.4 should be out in the near future. They greatly incrase the number of send/returns over firewire and they now offer pre-fader sends instead of just post fader and main outs.

The curve and feel of the crossfader is adjustable on all of the d series. The fader is fairly popular having just been picked up by Mackie and Rodec for their mixers.

I'm waiting for the d.4 to be released - but the 'pro pack' will come with the firewire card preinstalled, vinyl control w/ mix vibes and traktion. Should be a nice package out of the box for a 4 channel DJ mixer...
DJ GaFFle 3:45 PM - 14 February, 2007
A pro model already??? Damn, they play'd the folks who saved hard earned loot to buy the much hype'd "d2" only to learn a few months later a "pro" series is out.

Does it come with lube for the inevitable crossfader freeze?
MusicMeister 4:09 PM - 14 February, 2007
The 'pro' model is actually hitting the market almost 2 years AFTER the initial release of the d.2.

The change is in the firewire card. The current setup is pretty limited but the new firewire card for both the d.2 pro and d.4 is the same and supports 14x8 IO.

I've heard rumors that current owners will be able to upgrade to the new mixer for a nominal cost. Basically what I've heard is that you'd send in your mixer and they'd upgrade it to support the new firewire card and features. I can't confirm that, but it's what I've read thus far.

Most of the people using the d.2 seem pretty happy with it. To be honest, the complaints here are some of the first I've seen. I've been waiting on the d.4 model since it was annouced nearly 8 months ago. I'm needing a GOOD 4 channel DJ mixer that supports USB or firewire IO PRE-FADER. The Mackie d.4 is the first I've see that will do this at a cost under $1500.

Yes, the Xone:3d will do it, but it's also $2500. Their new Xone:2d looks impressive but it would be an 'add-on' to any mixer I picked.
DJPremium 4:25 PM - 14 February, 2007
I like the D2. It was some getting used to the crossfader. It was so loose it wouldn't stay at either of the sides so it seemed it was bleeding.. but you can set how smooth they slide so after tightening em up a bit this problem is completely gone.
Sound is good, build quality too. And a great price.
dj shadow from detroit 11:48 PM - 14 February, 2007
good mixer but there costumer service suck's!
i had bad luck so far with the d2 (this is my 3 one)
first one had a short in the cue volume. the second had a fader problem and this third one which is about a year and a half old has bleeding in the up and down faders!
i tryed contacting them and no luck.......
i like the mixer alot but way to many problems for $500.00
djheadhoncho 12:55 AM - 15 February, 2007
I had it & had a couple of problems ......

ist one i bought the head phone volume was broken (out the box) .... you couldnt cue anything !

2nd one (rplacement) had blown led lights .... (no biggie so i didnt return it again) .... but after about 3-5 months of heavy use the fader started getting hard 2 move & needed to be lubed ..... it was fine after that !

though i must say i bought it cause i was told it would work with serato .... as ya'll know ..... no it does not !!!!

if you throw the firwire card in all u can use with it is them other plastic boxed computer crashers !!!

i sold my d.2 for $350 & found a used ttm-56 for $400 on craigslist !!! yes $400 for a ttm-56 .... i was a lil skeptic .... but when i got to dudes house it was like brand new in the box .... no scratches no nothing !!! he looked like a crack head .... so he must have needed some rock !!! his loss my gain !!!!

all & all ....... get a ttm-56 ...... its the best mixer out (in my opinion) !!!

also the mackie is like 1 inch taller than your turntables & impossable to find a flight case that will fit it correctly !!!

vestax are just over rated !!!!
djskeetz 2:17 AM - 15 February, 2007
dude, i use this piece of shit every friday, and it sucks. get a 56. the ONLY thing i like about the d2 is it has the EQ knobs and all the other knobs lit up, so its easier to see what the fuck im doing.
MusicMeister 3:53 AM - 15 February, 2007
Actually, even with the firewire card the current d.2 won't work with most other TCV solutions. The outputs are post fader and for most TCV solutions to work properly with the firewire it would need to be pre-fader.
KingDecipha 12:49 AM - 21 February, 2008
Eating my words....

Quote:
I had an older Vestax but current bought the d2 mixer. Personally I really like it. Peeps on here said that I was gonna have problems with the cross fade eventually sticking and I would have to lube it up, but its been working just fine! It looks sick and works perfectly. Plus the spring loaded transformer switches are off the hook... 2 thumbs up.

After using the d2 for a year... i've come to the conclusion that its a peice of s*** and I am getting myself the 56! No it didnt break on me and it has every possible output I could want in a mixer, the knobs light up ..ect. But ive been spoiled at the Radio station I mix at. Over there, we have a 57 and that x-fader is off the hook... the grass is infact greener on the other side.
amada32 4:42 PM - 21 February, 2008
I got a used Mackie D.2 (NO FIREWIRE CARD) for almost nothing (an extra $50) as part of a purchase a few weeks ago. I didn't want or need it, but the price was too good to pass up. I haven't took it to a gig, but I have practiced with it a few times and it's ok. It's good for a backup, but I would not make it my main mixer, which is an Empath.

The problem with the crossfader not muting the channels is related to the crossfader lag adjustment. I had the same problem when I got this mixer and I was pissed because I thought the crossfader took a dump. After reading the manual and researching the Infinium fader, I took out the crossfader and turned the lag (not the tension) adjustment screw a few times to get the right cut-in point and eliminate the crossfader not muting the channel issue. On the Infinum fader, the crossfader cut-in point can be "overadjusted" to be so sharp that the crossfader actually does not mute the channels when all the way to the left or right. Adjusting the crossfader cut-in point via the lag screw will fix this issue. This overadjustment issue can probably happen with any lag-adjustable fader, it just seems to happen more with the Infinium fader. I also cleaned and lubricated the crossfader and it's smooth as butter and VERY sharp. Infinium says they can last for years, but it feels a little "cheap" to me. Not substantial like a P&G or a 56/57 fader.

I cleaned the line faders and they seem fine, but I never had any popping issues in the first place. I have seen a youtube video of a guy that had problems with three D.2 mixers that would not mute when the LINE faders were set to zero, which seemed weird. I don't know if it was the mixer, or the guy, but from his video it looked like three mixers had the same issue. No problem with the line faders for me.

The lights on the D.2's knobs and the peak level indicators are bright (which is great in a dark venue), but the peak level indicators are almost all the same color. The only difference is the top LED peak indicator is white. I like the way most other mixers are set up with green/yellow/red peak level indicators.

The headphone cueing on the D.2 kind of sucks. You can either hear channel 1, channel 2 or channel 1 + channel 2 of either the master mix or the cue mix, but not the master and cue at the same time (like with Rane mixers). There's no split cue option either (like with Pioneers).

The only issue I have is a single flickering LED in the middle of the peak level indicator led group. Not a huge issue, but still an issue. I think it's just a cold solder, but I haven't had time to really tear this mixer apart and check it. I have read that the LEDs on the older (non-Pro/Firewire) D.2 mixers can be an issue, but it's not like mine is under warranty, so I'll have to fix (or break it worse) myself.

Sorry to write a mini review, but all in all, using this Mackie confirms my personal belief that Rane makes the best DJ mixers on the market right now. Any Rane mixer will basically set the standard in its class. They have excellent and flexible cue/master monitoring, a strong headphone amp, superb peak/RMS level monitoring, and the best sound I have heard from ANY DJ mixer I have ever owned.

Mackie did ok on this mixer (I'll probably keep this as a backup), and I think the D.2 Pro improved on some issues with the original D.2, but if I were to by a brand new mixer, it would have to be a Rane, for reasons stated above.
KingDecipha 9:15 PM - 21 February, 2008
Quote:
I got a used Mackie D.2 (NO FIREWIRE CARD) for almost nothing (an extra $50) as part of a purchase a few weeks ago. I didn't want or need it, but the price was too good to pass up. I haven't took it to a gig, but I have practiced with it a few times and it's ok. It's good for a backup, but I would not make it my main mixer, which is an Empath.

The problem with the crossfader not muting the channels is related to the crossfader lag adjustment. I had the same problem when I got this mixer and I was pissed because I thought the crossfader took a dump. After reading the manual and researching the Infinium fader, I took out the crossfader and turned the lag (not the tension) adjustment screw a few times to get the right cut-in point and eliminate the crossfader not muting the channel issue. On the Infinum fader, the crossfader cut-in point can be "overadjusted" to be so sharp that the crossfader actually does not mute the channels when all the way to the left or right. Adjusting the crossfader cut-in point via the lag screw will fix this issue. This overadjustment issue can probably happen with any lag-adjustable fader, it just seems to happen more with the Infinium fader. I also cleaned and lubricated the crossfader and it's smooth as butter and VERY sharp. Infinium says they can last for years, but it feels a little "cheap" to me. Not substantial like a P&G or a 56/57 fader.

I cleaned the line faders and they seem fine, but I never had any popping issues in the first place. I have seen a youtube video of a guy that had problems with three D.2 mixers that would not mute when the LINE faders were set to zero, which seemed weird. I don't know if it was the mixer, or the guy, but from his video it looked like three mixers had the same issue. No problem with the line faders for me.

The lights on the D.2's knobs and the peak level indicators are bright (which is great in a dark venue), but the peak level indicators are almost all the same color. The only difference is the top LED peak indicator is white. I like the way most other mixers are set up with green/yellow/red peak level indicators.

The headphone cueing on the D.2 kind of sucks. You can either hear channel 1, channel 2 or channel 1 + channel 2 of either the master mix or the cue mix, but not the master and cue at the same time (like with Rane mixers). There's no split cue option either (like with Pioneers).

The only issue I have is a single flickering LED in the middle of the peak level indicator led group. Not a huge issue, but still an issue. I think it's just a cold solder, but I haven't had time to really tear this mixer apart and check it. I have read that the LEDs on the older (non-Pro/Firewire) D.2 mixers can be an issue, but it's not like mine is under warranty, so I'll have to fix (or break it worse) myself.

Sorry to write a mini review, but all in all, using this Mackie confirms my personal belief that Rane makes the best DJ mixers on the market right now. Any Rane mixer will basically set the standard in its class. They have excellent and flexible cue/master monitoring, a strong headphone amp, superb peak/RMS level monitoring, and the best sound I have heard from ANY DJ mixer I have ever owned.

Mackie did ok on this mixer (I'll probably keep this as a backup), and I think the D.2 Pro improved on some issues with the original D.2, but if I were to by a brand new mixer, it would have to be a Rane, for reasons stated above.

Channel one fader doesnt mute all the way when the volume is down...
xfader does infact have a lag to it...
4 of my LEDs in the middle dont light up...

My only possitive... as compared to Rane... is the fact that it has RCA, 1/4" or XLR outs... The mic in is an XLR/1/4" combo connection... I thinks that is the only part they got right.
DJCheLu 10:26 PM - 21 February, 2008
dam i sold mine months ago, but i was looking to get another d.2 because i loved the mixer when i had it. i didnt have any of the problems you guys had though, but that could be because mine wasnt as old. Now im rethinking getting another one, but i dont want to drop lots of cash on a home mixer when i already have a nice 57......
HateRocski 11:42 PM - 21 February, 2008
It sucks.
gregdaynes 4:51 AM - 22 February, 2008
Mine was / is still great, i still use it too, never had a problem with it.
selectinverse 6:43 PM - 29 October, 2008
though i must say i bought it cause i was told it would work with serato .... as ya'll know ..... no it does not !!!!

I have a MACKIE D2 with 2 1200s and can only get serato sl to work if I exit my box from line, and enter the mixer in the phono jack, but having the button in the back switched to "line". This is contrary to how the manual shows how to set it up, but I didn't realize it at first. This means you can't switch back and forth to playing records, and control records, without re connecting rca's. It has also given me a huge headache, when I thought this was the correct way I needed to set up on club mixers.
Any D2 users have a way around this? I've almost stopped using my real records all together because of it.
MusicMeister 12:17 AM - 30 October, 2008
You have the original D2 or the D2 Pro?
.:DjDECiPHA:. 6:55 AM - 30 October, 2008
on the original d2 for PGM 1, you had a pair of rca inputs. One was dedicated line input labeled CD, and the other was a line/phono input (toggled by the button). So, you could have your LINE connected to your CD input and the THRU connected to the line/phono input (with switch set to phono). Did it a million time when i first got SERATO...
djjumpoff 7:17 AM - 30 October, 2008
Mine works just fine I put it 2 work every weekend never had any issues with it no popping or bleeding the fader is butter smooth the lights make it perfect for a dark club and the best part is I traded for it brand new on craigslist for torq which was the worst purchase I've ever made sucker lmao.
Chopper Dave 1:10 PM - 30 October, 2008
I got my d.2 almost 2 years ago now I have been very impressed thus far. There seems to be a few issues that people have already mentioned but nothing big. Agreed, the up faders curve is not even (it increases faster in the top 25%) and the headphone fader is not gradual like on the 56.

However... I think the overall design is excellent - the lighting on the EQs is useful, its pretty solid (it has fallen off my dj stand!) and the crossfader is the best I have used imo.

I love how light and smooth it is, no problems with sticking or anything. I'd choose this fader over the 56 one which just doesn't feel as slick to me (though this could have been down to the one I have used).

The layout is spot on - it is a fairly large 2 channel mixer compared to the ttm56 - so you get lots of space. It looks the bomb too with all the blue lights!

I got mine new for about £200 (under half what a ttm56 costs new here in the UK). I think for a premium quality mixer with non contact faders, thats pretty reasonable. However, I have not dealt with their customer service yet and, being in the UK, I am preparing myself for a bit of a trial.

In terms of its replacement, Ill probably save up for a 56 or a 57 (dream on!) just because I dont think the d.2 pro is worth it - id never use the firewire option.

I hope this has been of some use. I would recommend one if you can find an old d.2 for a reasonable amount - they are alot of fun!

CD
Master Delay 10:39 PM - 26 September, 2011
old thread, but I'm looking at my d.2 right now thinking about opening it up and seeing if I can do something about the terrible leak in the cue fader.
I've had this mixer for like 4 years now, after like a week I had a flashing led that died shortly after.
The cue fader was alays crap, like someone already said, only channel 1, 2 or both, no real mixing of volumes occurs. I've had big popping sounds that would happen when cue-crossfading between the 2 channels, that would make me very angry as it hurts the ears and you're on headphones...that started happening on the 1st year. About 6 months ago, now it gives me both channels in either left (ch1) or right (ch2) positions, and ch1 when set to the middle (supposedly both channels). i still use it but it sucks to mix like this.
so basically, I like its features (the backlit knobs, the mic/line output switch) and it sounds good, but it will break on you fast (by now it has been discontinued so a 2nd hand deal should be even more avoidable)... get a decent mixer instead. I wish it would work like it should tho.
DCD 12:59 AM - 27 September, 2011
Mine hasn't had anything big break yet, so I'm happy. Yes, the faders are terrible and only good for scratching, but other than that it's alright. The firewire is kinda cool because I can plug it in and record in SoundBooth or something.

The only issue (asides from the fader) is that I think that its kind of quiet. I'm not 100% sure its the mixer, but it seems to be the case. When I play with regular vinyl, I have to turn the gain knobs really high just to get a decent volume out of it. It's the same with the mic, I have to turn it all the way up just to hear myself talk through the mic input.
Laz219 10:23 AM - 27 September, 2011
I always found my D2 to be super loud compared to most other mixers I've used (except I found the mic control to be really touchy)
I've got a couple of LEDs out (and have sent it away to have them fixed before the current ones went)

Love the faders, but will be getting a Rane when I've got the money.
_Stuart 9:55 PM - 27 September, 2011
mine still works perfectly, no led's out, sweet crossfader goodness, line faders work great.
just watch, now i've jinxed it the fucker will break down now, lol
DJ Eazy B 12:28 AM - 29 September, 2011
I use to own a D2. I stuck a bit of blue-tack on the inside of the crossfader to stop the bleeding.
DCD 4:26 PM - 29 September, 2011
Hmm. What gain settings are you guys normally at? I find mine to be at 3 o'clock just to get the volume up without red-lining (or in this case, white-lining).
_Stuart 6:54 PM - 29 September, 2011
12 ish, like to keep it in the blue
Laz219 3:11 AM - 30 September, 2011
The only time I've ever redlined my D.2 was when I intentionally tried just to see what the white lights looked like.
Beyond that It seems to have tonnes of headroom.
Master Delay 3:25 AM - 24 October, 2011
Yeah, so just to update, couldn't do anything about the cue bleed. cleaned it up really well, and the cue fader is stuck on the board, so doesn't look replaceable. has anyone had any luck trying to fix that?
For now I'm using an old second mixer as my cue mixer, with secondary outputs from the turntables and soundcard. weird setup but it works lol
I find the output gain is like was mentioned, either quiet on line level, or hot when on mic. But it seems to work fine either way you set it up.
probably going to get a djm700 next, time to start messing with 4 channels, fx and midi control. and digital output.
_Stuart 4:46 PM - 24 October, 2011
try a local electronics shop, most line faders are 10Kohm, any good electronics engineer should be able to find a spare and replace it for you

something like this
www.ebay.co.uk