DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Club DJ's

DJ-A 3:34 PM - 12 February, 2007
I have been a DJ for 15 years now... And want to try something new. I have done clubs a few times, but have mainly done weddings, company events, schools...
My questions is how to break in and start doing Clubs. There are some people around who really arent that good but for some reason they are the ones who get the club gigs...

Any advice?
DJ Prinvale` 3:38 PM - 12 February, 2007
networking, it's mainly who you know
dja_one 3:45 PM - 12 February, 2007
The thing that has worked for me every I have lived...Get intouch(literally call up to the station) with a radio mixshow juck and tell him you are new to the area and you trying to get out there and if he cool...he will take you around with him to his gigs. In a matter of a few months (and feeling lke you being pimped ...ala, I need to see if you can work a party while I give you a small piece for your hard work :-\). It's bullshit but it is a monopoly and you gotta start at the bottom until the promoters and club managers notice YOU or need a DJ because the jock they hired is double booked and they need you.
Dj Ryme 5:01 PM - 12 February, 2007
Agreed, club shit is not the easiest shit to get into until you start meeting people who can help you out. Its a GRIND. You cant just wake up one morning and say "gee, I think I want to be a club DJ now". Just doesnt happen. If your serious about it and have the drive and hustle you will get in there. There are some WACK dj's at alot of clubs ive been to, that will tell you its not all about skill to get in but what I have realized is if you DO have skill you will eventually outshine these weak dj's and ultimatly get more gigs and get paid more. Again its just a matter of your hustle.
DJ Autograph 5:05 PM - 12 February, 2007
Agreed.

Did the whole carrying crates things for radio jocks and it definately works. It's sometimes frustrating but keep at it and you will eventually get there.
Monk-A 5:10 PM - 12 February, 2007
put your own club night on... basically find a venue thats cool, check out how much to take over for a night, start small... once a month or every other month...and just build up a small loayl following.

That way when you go to bigger clubs you can show them you already have a core group of fans/friends who you can garuntee you will birng to the venue with you... that means regular income for the venues and that means regular gigs for you and the chance to build more of a fan base.