DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

MP3 Ripping

DJ-A 2:50 AM - 12 February, 2007
Looking for a way (if possible) to Rip a MP3 from a music CD and get better than 192 quality
Konix 3:32 AM - 12 February, 2007
Playdope 6:26 AM - 12 February, 2007
I do all my ripping with Itunes. All done a 320 Stereo...never had a problem. All my files sound great in the club.
DJ-A 2:59 PM - 12 February, 2007
Quote:
I do all my ripping with Itunes. All done a 320 Stereo...never had a problem. All my files sound great in the club.

thats interesting.. i use itunes on my PC and the higest bit rate is 192. Do you use a Mac?
Konix 3:03 PM - 12 February, 2007
You have to go into iTunes preferences and change the encoding settings. Ripping with iTunes guide... ssl-wiki.help.bootlegs.de
DJ-A 3:35 PM - 12 February, 2007
i did.. but the highest was 192...
Konix 3:40 PM - 12 February, 2007
Humm, starange. What version of iTunes do you have? I did that guide on the PC version of iTunes so 320 should be there.

Or you can try Exact Audio Copy like I mentioned, which is better than iTunes anyway.
felixfuchs 4:16 PM - 12 February, 2007
guys, dont use itunes to rip. the mp3 encoder apple uses is shyte. its not the lame-encoder!
for mac get MAX. it takes a little longer to encode, but uses the lame.enocder. files are better quality and smaller size, for pc cdex or whatever.
DJ-A 4:28 PM - 12 February, 2007
i think i'll try that exact copy. i have the latest itunes
Crown 10:00 PM - 13 February, 2007
Quote:
guys, dont use itunes to rip. the mp3 encoder apple uses is shyte. its not the lame-encoder!
for mac get MAX. it takes a little longer to encode, but uses the lame.enocder. files are better quality and smaller size, for pc cdex or whatever.

Do you know where you get MAX?

link?
dj_soo 11:37 PM - 13 February, 2007
did you choose the "custom" option? Opens a seperate menu and you can select 320.

But that being said, go LAME much better than iTune's codec.
Playdope 3:16 PM - 1 March, 2007
Does anyone have a link for LAME ?? I would like to try it
Konix 3:21 PM - 1 March, 2007
Quote:

For Mac or PC?
DJ-A 5:36 PM - 1 March, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

For Mac or PC?

both
Playdope 5:46 PM - 1 March, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

thats interesting.. i use itunes on my PC and the higest bit rate is 192. Do you use a Mac?

I use a PC for all my ripping and I use a macbook when I play.
Playdope 6:03 PM - 1 March, 2007
Quote:

OK hear is what I did (for a PC)

I'll try to give you insructions step by step, Hope this helps.

1. Open Itunes

2. In the top left corner of your screen, Click on Edit

3. Once you open the edit menu you will see the word Preferences at the bottom of the tab, Click on it

4. Now hit the Advanced tab (Think it's the sixth tab from the left)

5. Now you will see three more tabs, click on Importing

6. In the importing section click on the "Setting" scroll down menu.

7. Click on custom, at the bottom of this menu

8. Now you are in the "MP3 Encoder" section. Here is where you can make any changes you want to when ripping CD's to MP3.
DJ-A 7:42 PM - 1 March, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

OK hear is what I did (for a PC)

I'll try to give you insructions step by step, Hope this helps.

1. Open Itunes

2. In the top left corner of your screen, Click on Edit

3. Once you open the edit menu you will see the word Preferences at the bottom of the tab, Click on it

4. Now hit the Advanced tab (Think it's the sixth tab from the left)

5. Now you will see three more tabs, click on Importing

6. In the importing section click on the "Setting" scroll down menu.

7. Click on custom, at the bottom of this menu

8. Now you are in the "MP3 Encoder" section. Here is where you can make any changes you want to when ripping CD's to MP3.

thats exactly what i did, and the highest was 192... on my mac i think 320 for the highest
Playdope 2:26 AM - 2 March, 2007
yeah ?? what version of Itunes you rockin?
Dj SPADEZ 6:50 PM - 24 April, 2007
Yea im a pc user to i did the same thing playdope instructed and it works you must click on CUSTOM OPTION and then it opens another screen hope this works...question the other options given in this window did u use other setting to improve quality what are they if u did????

THANKS
kickin 10:23 PM - 24 April, 2007
DJ-A, if you never got the problem solved try this... O your PC go into windows media player, click the tab under RIP(which will give you options) and switch your bitrate to whatever you want. It worked for me.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 1:18 AM - 8 July, 2007
**Moved to General Discussion