Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Export of played tracks list

nik39 1:34 PM - 24 July, 2004
Hi,

yesterday I spun with a friend, he is a mac user, I am PC user and I just plugged in my external drive to his mac, however, I wanted to review the tracks we played, and I also want to make a list with all tracks we played. Unfortunately the review list will be cleared after you exit SSL, but I have overcome this be copying all tracks to a separate crate. Now the problem is of course I attache the external drive to my PC and the crate is there but it will only show up tracks which are on my PC and my external drive but not those we played using his tracks on his mac. It would be cool to have the possibilty to export the review list (or any crate, thats even better) to a flat text file or a XML file. What do you think?
Serato, Moderator
AJ 1:12 AM - 25 July, 2004
Sounds like a good idea. It could work by dragging the crate to an OS window, which would create the text file where you dragged to. I would envision that the file would be a tab separated list with each column being a different id3 tag, and saving only the columns that are visible in the song list at the time you export it. Then you could open the file as a spread sheet or an almost any other program.
SpinThis! 7:30 PM - 27 July, 2004
i like it.
nik39 2:19 AM - 28 July, 2004
Another thing which I observed:

Often I prelisten to a track but then, I dont play it, but this song appears in the played tracks list. This can be confusing first and can make the list near to useless if all mapped tracks appear in that list, second.

Remedy: An option, so that tracks which have been played for a certain amount of time are considered being really played (others which are played less than the certain amount of time are considered as used for prelistening), so either the exported played-list or maybe also the review list doesnt take that pre listened track. For example, switch on this option, set it to lets say 45 seconds, now all tracks which are played less than 45 seconds wont show up in the list, they are considered being only pre listened. Makes sense?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 5:06 AM - 28 July, 2004
HI Nik39, both 'export library/crate as text file' and 'only mark song as played after x seconds' are already on the list of things to do.
Detroitbootybass 2:37 PM - 28 July, 2004
Quote:
...both 'export library/crate as text file' and 'only mark song as played after x seconds' are already on the list of things to do.

Sounds great!

:)
nik39 3:49 PM - 28 July, 2004
Sam, thanks for the info :-)
Serato, Moderator
AJ 12:26 AM - 30 July, 2004
Also, if you undo loading a track instead of loading something else over it, the track is removed from the review list. That way, if you get in the habit of pressing undo, if you change your mind, then it doesn't matter how long you leave the track up there it will not be considered played. Also, you can always delete from the review list.
mArtian! 3:20 AM - 18 March, 2005
I very much in favour of a track listing option!!!! Just my 2 cents..:)
Dj KaGeN 8:13 PM - 18 March, 2005
TRACK LISTING EXPORT w/ amount of time track was played:
so the 15 second ones can be easily weeded out and you'll have a true listing. Which might also make it easier to divide tracks up when burning.
RTS 9:58 PM - 22 August, 2005
It would be a nice feature if you could save the tracks in the 'review' box as a .txt file.

This way you can save data from your mixtapes for example, from a live-radio broadcast, or a live performance ....

In addition: Dutch copyright laws are working towards sending in your playlists from live performances (already the case for radio broadcasts) for accurate payment of copyright fees. On larger raves DJ's are also required to send in these lists.

If the .txt file is written in realtime (without a save-as feature) then this could also be continously FTP'ed to your website for realtime playlist processing (like: song history for online radio-stations or 'currently playing') for integration with your website.
dbandit 6:05 PM - 4 October, 2005
Yeah I was just about to put this suggestion up as well. I play on the radio and have to give the log of tunes played every week. Would be very nice to have, with all info as well ie album etc

Thanks
Bandit
Zeal303 8:09 AM - 28 November, 2005
Hi yall!

What I would like, or more so need, would be a timetable at what time the tracks were played at. I mean the history is great, use it every gig (club manager sometimes wants to check the playlist afterwards). but the time of play doesn't show.

Zeal303
DJ 3pm 11:04 PM - 28 November, 2005
Quote:
I would like a timetable at what time the tracks were played at.

this is also important for on-air radio dj's who need to keep a log for ascap/bmi licensing.
c o l l i n s 3 0 3 9:12 AM - 15 May, 2006
what happenened to this feature? am sure it was somewhere in 1.5 beta but not in the final version...?
CanDee 7:49 PM - 6 January, 2007
yeah i need that too.
complete track list including time of the played tracks

so i can finally answer trackrequest (whats the name of the song you played 11:23 pm) LOL

i really do need the export review as txt or whatever feature
djkevinz 8:11 PM - 6 January, 2007
AJ,
what about the 'only turn a track green if the other deck is loaded while playing it' idea? Seems to be (for me) a more reliable way of knowing when the track is played. I'm in the habit of always keeping both decks spinning so sometimes i would have a track up for a few minutes and then maybe change it. Well maybe I answered my question, if the duration was selectable I would have mine set pretty high (12-minute progressive tracks, you know!)

And if you pulled the needle off the cue deck, would it still be counting?
Razor 6:06 AM - 6 February, 2007
Aphabetic crates please or at least have an option for it
oxide 2:01 AM - 24 February, 2007
i can't for this option to come around, i to play a radio show and would love to save the 'review' file to a text doc with artist/song info so i can plug it into the web site we use to document that info
but for now i did try the ssl library copier from nik39 and it works but you have to weed through the code and then find your artists
all in due time young jedi's!
nik39 2:23 AM - 24 February, 2007
Code? The library copier has (as I told you before ...) nothing to do with exporting a crate list to a text file ;)

Exporting a crate file to a text file works with drag+drop - no "code" whatsoever.
FRENZY 6:33 AM - 25 February, 2007
Does anybody know if they plan to be able to export the review list for a given session to a .txt file before you close SSL and lose the tally of 200 songs you played during the session? Thanks for any feedback!!!
nik39 2:35 PM - 25 February, 2007
Save all songs in a crate. Close SSL. Then export that crate to a text file.
Trystan 2:54 PM - 27 March, 2007
Quote:
It would be a nice feature if you could save the tracks in the 'review' box as a .txt file.

This way you can save data from your mixtapes for example, from a live-radio broadcast, or a live performance ....

In addition: Dutch copyright laws are working towards sending in your playlists from live performances (already the case for radio broadcasts) for accurate payment of copyright fees. On larger raves DJ's are also required to send in these lists.

If the .txt file is written in realtime (without a save-as feature) then this could also be continously FTP'ed to your website for realtime playlist processing (like: song history for online radio-stations or 'currently playing') for integration with your website.

From one radio dj to another, That my friend would be sick!
elevatorclub 8:57 PM - 4 April, 2007
I'd love to be able to export the review list of the tracks I played in a given set. Right now, that info is lost as soon as I quit Serato.

Being able to save that info & export to a text or XML file would be huge!
Tommy K 11:53 PM - 24 June, 2007
I second this feature, to export either a crate as an xml or txt from scratch live.
Konix 12:18 AM - 25 June, 2007
ScratchTools can do this now... scratchlive.net
bourbonstmc 9:35 PM - 27 October, 2007
Quote:
HI Nik39, both 'export library/crate as text file' and 'only mark song as played after x seconds' are already on the list of things to do.

Any news on the library/crate as text file front in SSL? Is this in the 1.8 beta?
nik39 9:40 PM - 27 October, 2007
Nope. BTW, in case you didnt know.. ScratchTools can do it ;)
supayoot 8:33 PM - 1 April, 2008
Dead thread?

Any news on the export crates as a text file for macs yet?
nik39 8:51 PM - 1 April, 2008
Quote:
Any news on the export crates as a text file for macs yet?

Old news. ScratchTools has been doing this for more than one year ;)
Zeal303 9:14 PM - 1 April, 2008
yeah, but how about Scratchlive doing it??
nik39 9:23 PM - 1 April, 2008
Oh my bad.
Frederic Heim 11:29 AM - 12 October, 2008
4 year to waiting this add and nothing... I'm not interested by scratch tools !
Mike Dobson 9:08 AM - 14 October, 2008
Quote:

I Love it.... Suggest the 'x' value to be adjustable. And would love not only the time when played as well as for how long (even better... for how long I played it... and better yet... from which point to which point for battle mixing logs)
Mike Dobson 9:10 AM - 14 October, 2008
Oh... forgot to say Auto Save on exit to a set crate... I always for get to save before exit
MixMasterMagic 4:46 PM - 15 October, 2008
I have scratch tools and I still dont know HOW to export the playlist or crate to a file...I do Radio and I need to be able to Generate a playlist copyright reasons.. for how do I get this done????
keilamym 3:43 PM - 16 October, 2008
an autosave would be sweet
alec.tron 10:31 AM - 28 November, 2008
Sorry to be new to the forum & serato & to just post negative ones...
But this is getting more ridiculous every time I check the forum for a feature.
I mean I worked in software development for a few years... and seeing that a feature-request that (again) is over 4 years old which get's regular hits & people are still asking for it and it simply is being ignored is just ridiculous...especially as this one here is about writing out a txt file ffs... come on whoever has the strings for developing the software in his or her hand, get your act together!
And don't even get me started on what I was originally looking for... which was exporting all files within a crate to a specified location...
or being able to check or remove dead links without having to test-read the data first... which both seems not possible natively and Serato relies on the community to supply ways to fix shortcomings of the data management side of things...
Right, I try to get my blood pressure down again & start collecting the files by hand....
Yours again dissappointedly,
c.
eclectik 8:30 AM - 10 December, 2008
ditto to what alec.tron says above - really sad that I have been checking back for YEARS about when we can export our setlists (ie crates that we made from our review list) - and still nothing?!?! we really need this as posting setlists is becoming very common and obviously crucial for radio dj's . . . please serato give us something . . .

also on the wishlist: an update that will save our most recent review list to temp folder or something so we can go get it back if we accidentally shut down serato prior to dragging and dropping the review list to a new crate.

please please please for christmas maybe?
alec.tron 10:38 PM - 11 January, 2016
hiya, old thread revive...
Has this been addressed btw ? In SSL & SDJ ? i.e. can you export playlist/crate info (i.e. as something non proprietary - .txt / .csv / .m3u) and as tracks plus playlist (to a user defined destination outside of the library) ?
Cheers.
c.
Spinchip 9:03 AM - 18 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I Love it.... Suggest the 'x' value to be adjustable. And would love not only the time when played as well as for how long (even better... for how long I played it... and better yet... from which point to which point for battle mixing logs)

+1 on the "only mark song as played after x seconds". I'm using the sessions file to export out to twitter as a live feed on my broadcast, but it triggers as soon as I load a track, not when I start to play it! Surely that's an easy one for the SDJ guys to ave a quick look at?

Thanks, Simon