DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Smallest Ride To Fit Your Gear Into?

twinsouls 3:57 AM - 31 January, 2007
Im in the market for a new ride.Ive been wanting to get a Nissan Maxima but I have a problem.I need to be able to move my gear around.My Gear fits good in my boys Ford Explorer so I was thinking about getting one of those.Im lost on what I should do because I aint 100% on the Explorer.Anyone else have an Explorer?

First off I dont like trucks for some reason so thats out.2nd,I would get a bigger SUV (Expediton,Tahoe,Yukon,Etc.)but thats out do to the buget.I really am a car person but I want to know If anyone else takes there gear around in a car and how does it fit.I was thinking Big Trunk and Back Seat.

Everything fits in my hatchback civic
i18.photobucket.com
i18.photobucket.com
but Im getting rid of that so any opinions on what I should do?
MusicMeister 4:11 AM - 31 January, 2007
Get the car you're happy with and snag a small trailer.

I'm planning on doing this myself shortly and as long as the trailer is fairly small then you shouldn't have any problems.

If I can pull a trailer behind a MIATA for more than 5000 miles in 5 days then pulling it behind a Maxima shouldn't be a problem at all.
twinsouls 12:06 AM - 1 February, 2007
Oh Ya??
joerockets 12:47 AM - 1 February, 2007
get a prius if u can find one used for cheap (good luck). Seriously, LOTS of room, seats fold down. The best thing though is driving in the carpool lane solo ($8 one time fee to the city) and free metered parking in the city of Los Angeles until Dec 31, 2007.

U can also get a civic hybrid but i don't know if the sedan's rear seats fold down.

The Civic Hybrid also qualifies for the carpool and metered parking benefits
joerockets 12:50 AM - 1 February, 2007
i forgot to mention that both cars are insane in fuel economy. 9 gallons (approximately $22 @ 87 octane) will get you around 400 miles.
TheMightyThor 1:16 AM - 1 February, 2007
i got an 06 accord LX. lots of room in the backseat and the trunk, i can fit everything i need in there no problem.
QB 1:22 AM - 1 February, 2007
scion xb i got one i fit all my gear with room to spare i fit 2 jbl tr-125 series 15" cabinets technics 1200 in cases and i put all my wireds and plugs in a crate with my mixer on top and head pnones on the side of the mixer. i also fit my light stand and 4 lights and i manage to get 30mpg with some room to spare the price is around 14,000 for a new one my payments are 255.00 a month but well worth it. and its a toyota so its gonna last. im sure u can get like an 04 or something for high 9 or low 10,000. i love that car plus its great for avertising its like a driving bill board i have magnets on the doors and a big sticker on the back window
twinsouls 3:00 AM - 1 February, 2007
What you think about these?The whole trunk lifts up like my hatchback which can be useful to fit stuff in.Anyone have one?Ive seen these around and look tight and not to expensive.
www.scion.com
DJ Autograph 3:42 AM - 1 February, 2007
I fit all my ish in a Scion XB....
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 4:21 AM - 1 February, 2007
yo twin, me got a lil civic hatchback 98.. i fit everything (sound & lights)...however, the passenger seat is occupied as well, and i can't see behind me as well.... no biggie
ernie 4:33 AM - 1 February, 2007
me too im thinking of buying powered speaker and i own a car.. what powered speaker u think will fit. my honda civic cuope.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 5:04 AM - 1 February, 2007
me =

a pair of powered mackie 350's (10" tops) on stands
a pair of 10" powered KRK subs
4 amdj ledpar64's
a pair of amdj accuspot 250's
a pair of 1210's
a tiny denon x100 mixer
lappy, two ext. hds
and ssl
ernie 2:22 PM - 1 February, 2007
DJ mike are you pinoy?
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 4:03 PM - 1 February, 2007
Visayan yo, island of Bohol, town of Antequera!

... only know tha bad words and foods, like Guinamoose (lovely smelling shrimp paste) and Dugoo Dugoo (chocolate meat with special chocolate sauce)
ronchee 3:46 PM - 5 February, 2007
go to a honda dealer and check out the fit. lotsa room in that small car
djaction 5:11 PM - 5 February, 2007
noncents 12:32 AM - 6 February, 2007
i got all this:

-3 road ready cases (2 techs, 1 mixer case)
-amp in rack case (4 space)
-2 12" yamaha speakers
-foldable dolly
-speaker stands/light stand
-two double derby lights
-1 odessey case for 70 vinyls
-backpack filled with patch cables & efx500
-large duffel filled with extention and adapter cables

and it all fit into my scion tC. AND i can have someone else sit up front with me.
DJ Michael Basic 1:03 AM - 6 February, 2007
I got a mazda3 hatchback and I love it...Fits all my gear comfortably and it has a good sized engine and a really comfy featurefull interior.
Osiris 1:41 AM - 6 February, 2007
Quote:
I got a mazda3 hatchback and I love it...Fits all my gear comfortably and it has a good sized engine and a really comfy featurefull interior.

That's what I plan on getting very soon... I've owned 3 Mazda's and all of them have been great cars with a good amount of space.
jayfunk 1:43 AM - 6 February, 2007
ima add in here:

cars that i have fit LOTS of DJ equipment into and recommend -

Scion xb
Scion TC
Civic Hatchbacks (88-99)
CRX's - (88-91)
and beleive it or not my old bmw m3 (95-99)

These cars have LOTS of room and if your broke or need a kinda dual purpose car, these are the ones to check out, JAYFUNK APPROVED =)
DJ_X_Trodinaire 4:07 AM - 6 February, 2007
man too many scions!

i got one too Scion xB

www.dje2.com

But i also have a Nissan Quest

www.dje2.com
www.dje2.com
ejayian 4:45 AM - 6 February, 2007
What movie were the gangsters looking in the trunk of a car noticing how many bodies could fit into it?

As a mobile DJ the smallest I could do is a Honda Odyssey.
Dj KaGeN 10:52 PM - 6 February, 2007
Stop messing around with cars... Get a truck with a good sized bed and haul all the big boy toys (mad speakers, coffin, lighting w/ truss) and still fit 4 peeps with you!!!

I suggest a Toyota Tacoma.
twinsouls 5:47 AM - 7 February, 2007
Quote:
Stop messing around with cars... Get a truck with a good sized bed and haul all the big boy toys (mad speakers, coffin, lighting w/ truss) and still fit 4 peeps with you!!!

I suggest a Toyota Tacoma.

What do you think about the Nissan Titan?Im just affraid if it starts to rain that my equipment will get wet in the back of the truck.
Dj KaGeN 11:42 AM - 7 February, 2007
it never rains in California..... ok and if it does, drive faster! and have a tarp handy. I have been drizzled on once.

Titan, they're 8 cylinders and big, I got nuthin bad top say about them.
Julls 11:46 AM - 7 February, 2007
Quote:
Stop messing around with cars... Get a truck with a good sized bed and haul all the big boy toys

Amen!
gzentertainment 12:56 PM - 7 February, 2007
Nissan Versa
eder 1:26 PM - 7 February, 2007
Quote:
What movie were the gangsters looking in the trunk of a car noticing how many bodies could fit into it?

8 heads in a duffel bag?

but anyways- my car...
2 yamaha sv115s
1 full-sized 4space amp case
2 techs in odyssey cases
1 road ready case with a ttm56, ssl, and shure pgx wireless mic
2 AMDJ UV Cannons
2 AMDJ Vertigos
1 Lighting T-Bar and 2 Speaker stands
1 efx-1000 in a pelican case
and room for a hottie riding shotgun.

if needed, 2 design spot 250s and a nsi lighting board instead of the 2 UV Cannons and Vertigos
...but then there's no hottie riding shotgun.

all of this in my civic LX 4-door. if i need the dual sub, i'm borrowing my buddy's land cruiser (soon to be mine hopefully haha)
djlayz 3:58 PM - 7 February, 2007
Best compact - Pontiac Vibe all seats fold down flat, even passenger if you need the room for speaker stands.
DJ-A 4:21 PM - 7 February, 2007
With a truck with an open bed, i found the faster you drive the less rain gets on the equpt. just dont stop...
i've thought getting a Tacoma with the crew cab, but that gives you the shorter bed... anyone have experiance with that?
Dj KaGeN 5:23 PM - 7 February, 2007
get the access cab - you still get a good bed and room for peeps, granted they're not living comfy - but, that keeps them awake on the ride home. I hate sleepers while I'm tired.
DJ CISCO 8:26 PM - 7 February, 2007
hey twinsouls what year is hatchback!.. man i used to pack my 99 hatch with mad gear.. 2 EV251's tripods 2 crown amps CVega 12in monitor, 2 DJ's 1 pio mixer, and laptop. Dam fools stole the hatch a few weeks ago.. It was a good car. Just get another hatch!
twinsouls 8:20 PM - 8 February, 2007
Quote:
hey twinsouls what year is hatchback!.. man i used to pack my 99 hatch with mad gear.. 2 EV251's tripods 2 crown amps CVega 12in monitor, 2 DJ's 1 pio mixer, and laptop. Dam fools stole the hatch a few weeks ago.. It was a good car. Just get another hatch!

Mines Old school,its a '91 but it has gotten me to where I needed to go and my equipment.But its time to move on.Plus Im sick of Manual.Its time to get Automatic.Im always on the go and grub a lot while driving,add to that talking on the phone (Ive gotta get a bluetooth ear piece already) and it makes things complicated driving stick.It was cool when I had my raced out CRX that my bro helped me fix up (he was in a car club).Guess I dont have the need for speed like I use to.
QB 7:35 PM - 10 February, 2007
FRIENDS DONT LET FRIENDS DRIVE FORDS......................................... haha
dj excel954 10:57 PM - 10 February, 2007
what ever car you use make sure its your own or else you will be completely unreliable, i lost my licence for a year and it was the worst year ever i had to rely on friends but before i lost my licence i had a 98 dodge ram 1500 which had more than enough power and room to haul anything, BUY A TRUCK OR SUV its the only way to go
Julls 11:00 PM - 10 February, 2007
Quote:
BUY A TRUCK OR SUV its the only way to go

Or a mini van. I own both a truck and a mini van, but I can haul a lot of gear in my vin with all the seats folded down into the floor.
Deejay Z 11:22 PM - 10 February, 2007
I just picked up a Scion xb....a bit of an upgrade from a 95 neon.....love it hella cheap for what you get and i can fit everything in it:

2 CDJ800mk2s in Road Ready Cases
1 DJM600 in in road ready case
2 15" JBL Eon G2s
Speaker Stands
Cables
2 Raptor Martin Lights
Serato DJ Bag
Odyssey Stand
Lighting Tree
Mirror ball and Lights..... I Think thats it??? a

all that and have room for someone to sit in the front seat....its the huge headroom that enables all of this of course....happy shopping
djskeetz 11:28 PM - 10 February, 2007
in terms of smallest ride, i just got the twin turbo BMW coupe, and i can fit 2 TTX's, a mackie srm450, a Targus backpack that has the following: Laptop cooler, Mac book Pro, SSL BOX, SSL Vinyl, Mac Book Pro Poweradapter, camera,, plus a suitcase for my rane 56, poweradapter, headphones, and all the cords needed to make everything work.
twinsouls 6:35 AM - 12 February, 2007
Just got me an 07 Scion TC and I love it......
DJThrill 7:37 AM - 12 February, 2007
In my GTI:

Coffin
2 Yorkville 15's
Stands
4 Lights
Light stand
Table
Cables
Laptop
Other Misc. things
Plus my buddy who DJ's with me...It sucks for him.
DJ Nevoc 5:02 PM - 12 February, 2007
For all the Euro Folksyou know this is your ride!

static.flickr.com
Osiris 2:16 AM - 13 February, 2007
Quote:
For all the Euro Folksyou know this is your ride!

static.flickr.com

LOL... DAYYYYAM!!! Actual lifesize people fit into those things??? :D
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 8:21 AM - 10 October, 2008
MusicMeister 3:33 PM - 10 October, 2008
Just a quick note here...

I've been gigging out of a MIATA (Eunos Roadster or MX-5 for the non-US people).

I bring 2 Bose L1 w/ Dual B1 setups, a rack of gear, basic lighting, and a lot more.

And yes, I pull a small 3 1/2 x 4 foot trailer behind it.... works GREAT. And there's a lot to be said to kicking it on the way to the gig with the top down. ;-)
sopranosupasta 3:44 PM - 10 October, 2008
they few times i do mobile shows, I pack, 2 peavey 15's, an amp in a case, speaker stands, turntables in seperate cases, mixer and some small lights into a VW Golf.
David Househead 4:24 PM - 10 October, 2008
72 Superbeetle
members.shaw.ca

I loaded 2 JBL Eons, a yorkville 720 powered sub, console with 19" mixer & dual CD player, + full light show in it.
Took out the back seat, put stuff in the trunk and had roof racks that I strapped the truss to.
...no room for a passenger tho!
a DJ 4:33 AM - 11 October, 2008
Damn thats sick how do you guys be fittin all that stuff in one car? If you can do that, I should be able to do that in a small SUV with lights speakers and tables. Any tips? How do you stuff it so much?
BIG DJ PHAZE 8:26 AM - 11 October, 2008
I got a Scion XB, I love it! I can even fit a small mobile rig in it (Sub/Powered Full Ranges/TTS/Mixer/Small Light Show). Works fine for most small mobiles, anything bigger I call on Enterprise Rent A Car, or sub out my sound/lighting to another company, but most people settle for a small mobile in my market.
sopranosupasta 2:24 PM - 11 October, 2008
Quote:
Damn thats sick how do you guys be fittin all that stuff in one car? If you can do that, I should be able to do that in a small SUV with lights speakers and tables. Any tips? How do you stuff it so much?

Its like a puzzle man, just gotta take what you have and stack it and switch it around and position it so it all fits.... all of that equipment fits on my car only one way. If I try to put it in any other way it wont fit.
David Househead 5:08 PM - 11 October, 2008
Play a lot of Tetris.
J-Reign 6:01 PM - 11 October, 2008
2004 Scion XB:

Matrix-1000
2 x EV SXA250's
2 X 1200 w/cases and A&H Xone02
Plastic Bin of all cables/mics
AMDJ Mystic and H20
ALL stands(speaker and light)
3'x 2' foldable flatbed cart
1 passenger sitting shotgun.
J-Reign 6:21 PM - 11 October, 2008
I just pray the gig I go to has a proper table. haha.
Shawny D 6:44 PM - 11 October, 2008
I'm rolling in my 2000 Dodge Neon.

Got my coffin with 2 CDJ-800s, SSL, and a Numark DXM-09, along with the associated RCAs and power supplies inside, across the backseat. One Peavey PR(R) 15 sits sideways on top of the coffin and the other PR(R) 15 sits upright in my front passenger seat. Speaker stands and x-stand are layed across the floor between the back of the front seats and the backseat.

I've only used this configuration once and am going to try experimenting to utilize more of my trunk space since I also have a pass-through.

That and I don't like the fact that one of the speakers almost completely obscures my rearward vision and the other is a little too close for comfort in the front passenger seat. (I pray that I don't get t-boned in an auto collision.)

=(
wilkins820 4:26 AM - 12 October, 2008
Quote:
scion xb i got one i fit all my gear with room to spare i fit 2 jbl tr-125 series 15" cabinets technics 1200 in cases and i put all my wireds and plugs in a crate with my mixer on top and head pnones on the side of the mixer. i also fit my light stand and 4 lights and i manage to get 30mpg with some room to spare the price is around 14,000 for a new one my payments are 255.00 a month but well worth it. and its a toyota so its gonna last. im sure u can get like an 04 or something for high 9 or low 10,000. i love that car plus its great for avertising its like a driving bill board i have magnets on the doors and a big sticker on the back window

got the same car. loaded it down w/my tables and mixer in a coffin just by laying the seats down. then trhu the record crates on top.

even more room after i got the laptop and Serato
Maskrider 9:31 AM - 12 October, 2008
This Scion Xb How is it compared to the Honda Element size wise?
Deejay Z 11:28 PM - 14 October, 2008
I think the Element is bigger but, I as well have the xB and the price difference is no comparison...I think the Honda is over 20 and the xB is about 15, although the new ones are a bit more
wilkins820 11:31 PM - 14 October, 2008
well the element is made to be beat up on the inside. it has rubber floors if i remember right.

it seems more sturdy. it kinda comes down to pref. w/them 2.

they're very similar and different at the same time
Shawny D 12:44 AM - 15 October, 2008
I want a Honda Fit, it's all about the Magic Seat!
BIG DJ PHAZE 1:56 AM - 15 October, 2008
I went for the Scion XB for the 35 mpg, the Element uses alot more gas, and I travel alot, so it was a no brainer, but yeah, the Element does have more room.