Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

ENHANCED Record Flagging Feature > not currently a feature, promise!

sweetL 3:06 PM - 24 January, 2007
Ok then.

We have the coloured dots, thats cool.

I want more! I didnt even realise the dots were there to be honest, and tho i can colour them, its just not obvious enough.

I want to be able to colour the entire row of a song (horizontally) so the background of that table row appears to be the colour i choose.

I know this causes problems for text colors... hope we can find a way that would look ok and still be readable, because the dot just isnt enough for me, im afraid.

Thanks to nik39 for helping out... making sure i explain myself properly!
nik39 8:31 PM - 24 January, 2007
You could also post a picture to nail it down ;)
DJ GI-NYC 10:46 PM - 24 January, 2007
Agreed "SweetL" I too asked for a Flagging Feature, because i as a dj move fast and i need to flag my records before ebery gig! I cant just look at a list and decide...and the Prepare button does NOT help one but! I have 15 crates and i use at least 9 of em per gig so i need a prepare section or Flagging for each crate i choose just like if i was playing out of real crates.

This is a HUGE request! I hear there are now "Sub Crates" in the New Version but that along with the FULL BAR COLOR HIGHLIGHT FEATURE WILL HELP 1000000%!
Konix 11:02 PM - 24 January, 2007
Is this what you guys are talking about...

i48.photobucket.com
AKIEM 2:09 AM - 25 January, 2007
Quote:

i48.photobucket.com

tight
society 4:01 AM - 25 January, 2007
Is it me, or does this seem like a very easy request to implement? Maybe in the next update??? :) Not to sound demanding or anything...

It would help SO MUCH! It's like the equivalent of pulling up 12s and sitting them sideways in the crate in preparation for playing.
Konix 4:14 AM - 25 January, 2007
Quote:
Is it me, or does this seem like a very easy request to implement?

Everyone always says it's easy to implement. Trust me, it's usually not, no matter how easy it "seems."

But how would you want this to work? In my picture for example, would you want the tracks to stay that color permanently, or would you want them to go back to "black" after they are played? Obviously if this is supposed to be analogous to flagging records and lifting them up sideways, then you usually flip them back down after playing. If you wanted them to turn back to black after playing, I'm sure that would be even harder to code.

So discuss. Stay that color, or back to black?
nik39 4:23 AM - 25 January, 2007
We need a flag feature and a permant color feature.
society 4:32 AM - 25 January, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Is it me, or does this seem like a very easy request to implement?

Everyone always says it's easy to implement. Trust me, it's usually not, no matter how easy it "seems."

But how would you want this to work? In my picture for example, would you want the tracks to stay that color permanently, or would you want them to go back to "black" after they are played? Obviously if this is supposed to be analogous to flagging records and lifting them up sideways, then you usually flip them back down after playing. If you wanted them to turn back to black after playing, I'm sure that would be even harder to code.

I think they should add a really slim column on the left side of the track listing window. If you click on it, it highlights the whole row. If you click it again, the highlight disappears. If you want the highlight to disappear after playing the track, make that an option in the setup screen.

AND if we had right-click options, you could right-click in the column and choose from a bunch of different colours for those super-organized types.
sweetL 11:36 AM - 25 January, 2007
Quote:

i48.photobucket.com

THAT is what id like.

thatd be sick.

with vinyl, i organise my bag in blocks, and even sticky label some to remind me to play them.... 'high priority'

and with my cd organisers, i marked them with a color label.

what youv done there is exactly what id like.
sweetL 11:38 AM - 25 January, 2007
Quote:
Obviously if this is supposed to be analogous to flagging records and lifting them up sideways, then you usually flip them back down after playing. If you wanted them to turn back to black after playing, I'm sure that would be even harder to code.

stay that colour...

id be prepping my set beforehand, and id be using it to flag tracks. once flagged, id only remove them as i saw the need - for example, if i played it out, and then i thought 'had enough of that song' id remove the flag right then and there.
sweetL 12:15 AM - 27 January, 2007
bump!
DJ GI-NYC 11:19 PM - 27 January, 2007
YES KONIX THAT IS EXACT TO WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!!!!

Ans society and others we all agree that would help a great deal! I think what society suggested is perfect...to have the option to keep it colored after play or not...Or maybe after play the colored bar will shade down with the highlight still there just in a lower shade.

The point is to make those records u select stand out from the rest of the songs and make it easier and faster for u to choose your records at a gig..i would not suggest back to black at all.

I say just add another feature to the drop list within the crates on the far right corner of the screen (You know where you can choose what colums u want to see like bpm,comment,artist etc) add the worg "FLAG" to that, when you add that column u can move it over to the far left end or it will appear there anyway...and when u go down ya list u can click the box on the same grid as the song and that will highlight the grid in whatever color the circle is next to it.

after u play it it will still have color but just a shade lower from its original. in addition add 2 small buttons above all of that that say RESET or RE-FLAG. Reset will refresh the list removing all of the color flags and RE-FLAG will re-highlight all of the records you flagged in that particular crate again.

PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE add this to version 1.8!
Konix 11:29 PM - 27 January, 2007
I like this idea also, but it probably will be difficult to implement to make the entire row colored, for a variety of reasons. What if only the one column was colored, not just the dot... something like this maybe... i48.photobucket.com

That would probably be more easier to do.
Konix 11:31 PM - 27 January, 2007
And I just forgot that the first column is used for track icon status, so just imagine the colored box in the dot rows. What do you think of that?
DJ GI-NYC 11:44 PM - 27 January, 2007
Nope no good!
That doesnt stand out enough....Factor this in...A Hot club,Ram packed, Time is a factor and your intoxicated.

That Full line is Key, i can't do a damn thing with a colored square...no way...im gonna start a petition in a minute!

What Do We Want!
Full Bar Colored FLagging!

When Do we Want it?
NOW!

sweetL 2:39 PM - 28 January, 2007
Quote:
I like this idea also, but it probably will be difficult to implement to make the entire row colored, for a variety of reasons. What if only the one column was colored, not just the dot... something like this maybe... i48.photobucket.com

That would probably be more easier to do.

i think it would work as a single box... but it wouldnt be anywhere near as effective as the whole row being coloured...
society 5:50 PM - 28 January, 2007
Yeah, I'm gonna have to go for the whole line too.

Why would it be hard to implement? The whole row already lights up when you scroll through it.
djkevinz 7:49 PM - 28 January, 2007
So we are talking about 'flagging' with multiple colors but it sounds like all you really need is an on/off (record up/down).

How about just a narrow column with a little icon of a flag (kind of like outlook) that when clicked would highlight the row in gray or something. Do you need to 'flag' in multiple colors? This would be far easier to implement. Or since you can't edit the status field, just turn that into the button.

I use the color dots to differentiate genres within crates, but having a simple on/off flag would be just fine. You should have the option to be able to link the 'off' to when Serato thinks you have played the track (hopefully after some period of time, or when the other deck was loaded while playing, as discussed here scratchlive.net.)
DJ GI-NYC 7:56 PM - 28 January, 2007
This right here is perfect i48.photobucket.com
this is exact to what all the dj's are asking for.
society 3:48 AM - 29 January, 2007
Quote:
This right here is perfect i48.photobucket.com
this is exact to what all the dj's are asking for.

Yeah, I'm into that. I don't see why multiple colours would be way harder to implement than one colour. I mean, ok, I'm not a programmer, but if you can code one colour, why not 4 or 5?

For me personally, I'd like a few colours so I can prioritize--I used to love flipping up vinyl in the crate but there were always some tracks that I came across that were more "must play" than others. I think it'd be good, for example, to make all the "must plays" red, and other tracks another colour like blue or something.
sweetL 8:13 AM - 29 January, 2007
Quote:
Yeah, I'm into that. I don't see why multiple colours would be way harder to implement than one colour. I mean, ok, I'm not a programmer, but if you can code one colour, why not 4 or 5?

For me personally, I'd like a few colours so I can prioritize--I used to love flipping up vinyl in the crate but there were always some tracks that I came across that were more "must play" than others. I think it'd be good, for example, to make all the "must plays" red, and other tracks another colour like blue or something.

you have it in a nutshell. the dot is a great idea - we just need it to be more obvious.

id like to hear from a serato mod about how difficult this might be to implement...
DJ GI-NYC 9:33 AM - 29 January, 2007
that dot is so small and un-noticeable that when im at a party thats the last thing i see. Its damn near pointless and i wish i could move it and use that .00001 of an cm of space. We all agree Konix version is the Best example of what we need...Flagging your records is an essential party of dj'ing, and that is the only real problem im facing in my attempt to get used to SSL.

serious SSL guys even if you guys can make this option downloadable to work with 1.7 that would be beyond great! but it must look like this i48.photobucket.com

and just like society said..at least 3-5 colors...because the colors will indicate the importance.
mrBallistic 5:27 PM - 4 February, 2007
i agree as well. in a nightclub setting, it would be nice if i could quickly scan and see something flagged 'red' for hot shit and the such. right now i make a custom crate of bangers that i rotate in and out of, but it would be nice if those tracks were also called out in my genre crates, where i spend most of my time.
sweetL 9:48 PM - 7 February, 2007
bumpy bumpy
AFR33K1000 11:12 PM - 12 February, 2007
Quote:
I think they should add a really slim column on the left side of the track listing window. If you click on it, it highlights the whole row. If you click it again, the highlight disappears. If you want the highlight to disappear after playing the track, make that an option in the setup screen.

AND if we had right-click options, you could right-click in the column and choose from a bunch of different colours for those super-organized types.

I'll give the ol' +1 on this

Quote:
Nope no good!
That doesnt stand out enough....Factor this in...A Hot club,Ram packed, Time is a factor and your intoxicated.

That Full line is Key, i can't do a damn thing with a colored square

On point right there......

Quote:
What Do We Want!

FULL BAR COLOR FLAGGING!!!!!!

Quote:
When Do we Want it?

Micky fickin' NOW!!!!!..............Ahhhhhh RIOT!!!!!!!!!!!
sweetL 2:18 AM - 13 February, 2007
yeah please...
AFR33K1000 2:26 AM - 13 February, 2007
Oh yeah, Paris said that's hot! and she wants it too, RIGHT NOW!
DJ Michael Basic 8:08 PM - 14 February, 2007
Yea...this would be dope...I can only imagine what my crates would look like, considering I color tag every single song in my club sets.

+1
AFR33K1000 8:48 PM - 14 February, 2007
Rainbow baby! *said with a lisp* ......Keep your pride up girl.

www.overtherainbowshop.com
sweetL 5:10 PM - 17 February, 2007
boing
sweetL 9:43 PM - 25 February, 2007
boing!
geeunot 5:21 PM - 27 February, 2007
+1
sweetL 10:54 PM - 28 February, 2007
sorry did someone say, er.. oh yeah. bump
dj dawn 5:23 PM - 2 March, 2007
make this happen Serato!!!
DJ GI-NYC 6:09 AM - 12 March, 2007
IM STILL WAITING FOR THIS FEATURE!

i48.photobucket.com

Sometimes i look at the exaple above Konix made and just dream about it!
SERATO!!!! PLEASE ADD THIS FEATURE PLEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAASSSSEEEEEEEE!!
dj dawn 7:42 AM - 12 March, 2007
Quote:
IM STILL WAITING FOR THIS FEATURE!

i48.photobucket.com

Sometimes i look at the exaple above Konix made and just dream about it!
SERATO!!!! PLEASE ADD THIS FEATURE PLEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAASSSSEEEEEEEE!!
Mez 8:12 PM - 12 March, 2007
This would help a ton... that dot is next to useless...
DJ GI-NYC 8:22 PM - 12 March, 2007
Right Mez!
sweetL 8:54 AM - 15 March, 2007
yeah we want this one
k-sharp 9:51 AM - 15 March, 2007
id like to see this managed with the "grouping" tag, that way you could keep the flags from computer to computer, if you update your version, if you delete and re add asong to the library and most most important --- so you could manage with itunes or tag and rename --- this way you could flag with a third party tag manager with out the scratch amp connected... this would satisfy my want for a preview audio out in serato....
sweetL 2:35 PM - 21 March, 2007
bing
sweetL 3:15 PM - 2 April, 2007
boing
AFR33K1000 3:32 PM - 2 April, 2007
*bling*
DJ GI-NYC 4:37 PM - 2 April, 2007
Bllllaaaaccckkkooooww!
Yeah we are gonna keep this topic at the top of the list SERATO team!
We need this feature added to the next version whenever that is!
dj dawn 6:52 PM - 2 April, 2007
Quote:
Bllllaaaaccckkkooooww!
Yeah we are gonna keep this topic at the top of the list SERATO team!
We need this feature added to the next version whenever that is!

Word!
sweetL 3:12 PM - 13 April, 2007
yahuh... we doo
AFR33K1000 4:32 PM - 13 April, 2007
.....do......DooDoo
deepdjdanny 8:17 PM - 15 April, 2007
bumpity
Basster 8:12 AM - 16 April, 2007
Bump!
dj dawn 6:23 PM - 16 April, 2007
bump!!!
DJ GI-NYC 6:17 AM - 17 April, 2007
Its beyond obvious SERATO/RANE folks that a great deal of dj's wanna see this happen...can someone from Serato holla back? How we looin on this fellas? hell charge 99. cents per upgrade download if you have too! id pay it and im sure many others would too
k-sharp 5:10 PM - 19 April, 2007
vote for this version
i48.photobucket.com
k-sharp 5:10 PM - 19 April, 2007
i meant an "i" before that post
AFR33K1000 5:26 PM - 19 April, 2007
^^^Good, 'cause I was gonna say that version sucks ass....

But if it's only you voting, then it probably won't get implemented like that. So then they'll do it the proper way which is across the whole row.
DJ GI-NYC 8:05 PM - 19 April, 2007
This right here is the BEST possible version
i48.photobucket.com

as AFR33K100 and many others put it...the entire row in color codes, full bar...it's the only way
AFR33K1000 8:16 PM - 19 April, 2007
Ahhh just lovely.....stop teasing me with those untouchables.

To be honest, I don't even mind how it looks when you have already played a track and it turns green.

I just wish there was a way to keep desirable tracks green indefinatly.........and if we could add other colors? that would be a bonus.

Bottom line, make your hot tracks stand out so they're easy to find within a certain crate.
DJ GI-NYC 9:08 PM - 19 April, 2007
"Bottom line, make your hot tracks stand out so they're easy to find within a certain crate."

just like "flagging" your records (lifting them up) when you play outta crates. Thats the idea.
AFR33K1000 9:15 PM - 19 April, 2007
Same.
asapflowSSL 12:21 PM - 23 April, 2007
im wit it FULL BAR LINE COLOR FLAGG'IN word up!!! i go wit DJ GI-NYC...crazii night and high'lee intoxicated i cant see no lil box [Tryue Story] and did i mention high'lee intoxicated...i might need some help getting close to 3am so highlighting priority tracks could do wonders...you never know!!!
DJKasper_YNY 10:59 PM - 30 April, 2007
definately like this feature...
and after you play the track, still have the text turn green until you press clear at the next gig?

(obviously just dont allow us to change background color to white or green, or other colors that will cause text viewable problems...)

if anything, just give us 2 or 3 colors to choose from... (so not to clash with text color) or at minimum just give us at least red! LOL
AFR33K1000 11:02 PM - 30 April, 2007
^^Yes,yes, & yes.....I like......So what you think Serato? maybe in 1.7.3?
DJ GI-NYC 3:59 AM - 1 May, 2007
This feature is a demand and a no brainer!
any real good dj can adjust without yes...but this feature will help a great deal serato!

I use SSL 4-5 times LIVE a week and i still wish this feature!
DJUltimate 5:38 PM - 1 May, 2007
I totally need this feature in order to keep on living!!

Seriously though, it would make life alot easier. Hook it up Serato!!!
sweetL 11:13 PM - 3 May, 2007
So, what is it then, what does this feature do, can someone explain why it would be so great?

(im trying to start a conversation on this post so it stays up, and ends up with loads of posts, and just cant be ignored... i hope!)
dj dawn 10:07 PM - 4 May, 2007
Yeah! What dooes this feature do? What is everybody talking about? ;-)
dj dawn 10:08 PM - 4 May, 2007
does*
DJ GI-NYC 2:28 PM - 22 May, 2007
Quote:

i48.photobucket.com

Basically(sweetL)&(dj dawn)....
The feature will work the same as if you are at a club playing with crates and viynls...before your party almost all dj's would do what i call "Flag"(I made that up man! lol) there viynls...Meaning Lift em up and tilt em out so there seperated from the rest of ya crate...most of the time its the records you know you would play in ya set so you wont forget em and there easier to find.

With SSL for a gang of dj's including myself the transition from going from playing out of crates to SSL on a laptop is tough. Your looking at a screen with a long ass list of songs which are un-recognizable from each other. For some dj's Grouping all the records by artist doesnt work etc... so being able to place a colored bar within the list that would make a song stick out from the group is pretty much like the same concept of "Flagging" ya records in a full dj crate.

Understand???

It would just make it easier to find the records you want.

Oh yeah SSL i also suggest if this feature is put in effect that you implement a feature that will allow you to save the current "Flagged Records" before a shutdown, that way when its turned back on at the next gig this can save time and the "Flagged records" last saved can be used for the next gig without going threw ya 4,5,6,7,8,9+ crates and doing it all over again!

THIS IS THE NUMBER 1 REQUEST for SSL Ver 1.8! PLEAAASE SSL!
allstarchris 3:09 AM - 23 May, 2007
I want this tooooo....
kooldjdielekt 2:35 PM - 23 May, 2007
This would totally help me out.. so i want it too!

dielekt:.

myspace.com/djdielekt
shmok1 9:22 PM - 23 May, 2007
hook it up already =)
DJUltimate 10:05 PM - 23 May, 2007
I like it
sweetL 11:42 PM - 23 May, 2007
Pleeeeeeease
Padu! 6:04 AM - 26 May, 2007
PLEASE!!!! SUGAR ON TOP!!!
(maybe, if doing as the picture is to hard, at least you (serato) could make all the text on the desired color)
niquid 10:03 AM - 29 May, 2007
this would rock my world!
please make it happen.
Nicky Blunt 2:07 PM - 29 May, 2007
this would be dope!

I need this to keep my lungs functioning!

Please hook this up!
DJ GI-NYC 2:22 AM - 30 May, 2007
This topic will stay on top until i see it in 1.8!
Voted #1 request amongst REAL DJ's!
sweetL 2:01 PM - 31 May, 2007
please, please, please.... if you dont do this, my pet cat will die!
DJKasper_YNY 6:16 AM - 1 June, 2007
damn... mine just died! hurry serato, we can still save SweetL's!
sweetL 12:24 AM - 3 June, 2007
my cat died. my perfectly eloquent parrot went berserk at it, tlking about a lack of full bar colour highlighting, and pecked away at the cat. of course normally, the cat would fight off the easily defeated parrot, but on this occasion, the cat agreed. it felt remorse at the lack of feature, had fallen into depression and a lull of self-worth leading to his not actually defending himself in the (now known to be fatal) attack on his person, by the aforementioned parrot.

suffice to say, im a little concerned for my other pets welfare, especially my favourite pet bob, the full-bar-colour-flagging-loving lemming, who incidentally, has gone on holiday, sightseeing the worlds greatest and most dangerous cliff-faces.
DJJorel 4:45 AM - 5 June, 2007
Where you at Rane! The masses have spoken!

The only problem I see with full bar color highlighting is that it may be hard to see which track is highlighted when loading tracks onto decks.

The quick solution, don't make red (or any colors that are close) an available color when adding color to each track.

As for played tracks, italicize them so they don't get lost if the track is highlighted green.
Deejay Z 9:03 PM - 6 June, 2007
Hey this happend today???? Only happend on this track.....

i13.photobucket.com

What do u think??
sweetL 11:29 AM - 8 June, 2007
Like jorel said, just make certain colours unavailable.
sweetL 11:35 AM - 8 June, 2007
by the way, whe i got home last night, my parrot had hung itself. it left a suicide note which read

"im sorry about the cat. i hit a wall of blind rage and could not contain myself. i only hope that full-bar-color-highlting arrives soon, it is my dying wish"
cappinkirk 7:44 PM - 8 June, 2007
hahahahahahaha lol!
cappinkirk 7:44 PM - 8 June, 2007
exact same thing happened to me it might be a new phenomenon
Deejay Z 8:42 PM - 8 June, 2007
Weirrrd
DJ GI-NYC 5:15 AM - 9 June, 2007
Yeah that is weird but it aint what we want either!

FULL BAR color with Lock on it until the tracks played and a "Last Flagged" button would be hot too!

The "LF" button will re-highlight the last known tracks...And if SSL can add a 3 slot memory pre-set that will be EXXXTRA HOT!

example:
You can have 3 memory banks of highlighted flagged records.

So say you list em
LF BUTTON 1: My Hip Hop Club Set
LF BUTTON 2: My Top 40 Club Set
LF BUTTON 3: Radio Cleans Set

So for my LF button 1 every track i Flagged no matter what crates it will highlight those every time i open up my SSL program...that way i can go to a club knowing which records are my hot ones and i can hit one button and there pre set to what i want already.

Get it??

SLL Yall need to call me! i got mad ideas!
Deejay Z 5:17 AM - 9 June, 2007
ya that be dope
sweetL 4:54 PM - 9 June, 2007
my lemming returned from holiday.

turns out he met a nice ladyfriend, and lemmings being lemmings, yknow - hes come back with 3 babies.

however, thats great and all, but im afraid one of the first things bob did was to get on the scratchlive site to see if there was any response, at least a glimmer of hope for what he wants.

now, i was too busy looking after his baby lemmings to notice that bob decided it was all too much, so stuck his paws into a live socket, and killed himself.

so now, we have his lemming-widow and his three now orphaned baby-lemmings sat here.

how long will this willful continuance of death go on?

(no, im not blazed, im just THAT weird)
nik39 4:59 PM - 9 June, 2007
Quote:
no, im not blazed

Are you reallllly sure? ;)

What the heck are you talking about...
sweetL 10:22 AM - 11 June, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
no, im not blazed

Are you reallllly sure? ;)

What the heck are you talking about...

well, yknow... sometimes, the er, creative juices flow?
Nicky Blunt 10:28 AM - 11 June, 2007
Ahh lemmings bringing back memories of my Atari ST (skool day memories)
sweetL 6:36 PM - 11 June, 2007
how cool was that game?

ever seen this?

www.elizium.nu
nik39 7:40 PM - 11 June, 2007
Lemmings was one of the best games EVER. We shouldn't forget Tetris! :)
Nicky Blunt 9:53 PM - 11 June, 2007
oh no you didnt!
Thats my social life gone for the evening!

Top score screenshots anyone?
DJUltimate 12:03 AM - 12 June, 2007
wow this is addicting
nik39 9:55 AM - 12 June, 2007
Nicky, lets start a top score thread in general section, for lemmings and for tetris :D No one can beat me on tetris for gameboy. ;)
Nicky Blunt 10:02 AM - 12 June, 2007
sounds good!

I just got an arcade pack for my xboy so im rocking APB, Space invaders 720 and all those old skool games that stopped me doing my homework back in tha day on my x-box now!

Phat!!!!!
Nicky Blunt 10:02 AM - 12 June, 2007
Also Nik I forgot to mention,

In the words of sixxx without pictures it never happened!
Screenshots for proof!
nik39 11:57 AM - 12 June, 2007
Of course screenshots!!

I need to find a cheap gameboy with tetris. How much are they nowadays?
Nicky Blunt 12:17 PM - 12 June, 2007
You can get a second hand one for about a score over here now (£20 for all you non cockeny types ;) )

Also nik I'm just about to PM you holla back I need your assistance please.
sweetL 4:17 PM - 12 June, 2007
oh, by the way... we need full-bar color flagging. thanks.
sweetL 9:53 AM - 15 June, 2007
boing
sweetL 6:00 PM - 18 June, 2007
sorry, but gotta keep bouncing this... in the hope that one day a serato official might comment...
Nicky Blunt 9:13 AM - 19 June, 2007
why don't you pm one of them and ask them to comment on it?
DJ GI-NYC 3:26 PM - 20 June, 2007
I did that and no responce...hopefully that means there too bust working on this request!
Nicky Blunt 3:40 PM - 20 June, 2007
oh well it was worth a go!
msoultan 4:36 AM - 21 June, 2007
in regards to track coloring, let me know what you guys think about this:

scratchlive.net
DJJorel 11:18 PM - 27 June, 2007
Bumpity bump
allstarchris 6:34 PM - 17 August, 2007
*bump*

Has this been implemented yet? Cause I still need this.
deepdjdanny 10:30 AM - 20 August, 2007
yep. boring.
allstarchris 11:19 AM - 20 August, 2007
Quote:
yep. boring.

Are you talking to me? Cause I don't see this feature yet?
AKIEM 7:51 PM - 20 August, 2007
Im going to assume that no one wants the flag to be written to the file, check this: scratchlive.net
sweetL 7:40 PM - 27 September, 2007
Quote:
yep. boring.

not implemented yet..... would like it... following AKIEM's post...
sweetL 7:42 PM - 27 September, 2007
oh, and sam did actually reply, he just said that they were working on the stability of 1.8 and would then work torwards some of the better feature suggestions...
DJ GI-NYC 11:52 PM - 27 September, 2007
Im still waiting on this for real!
sweetL 7:14 PM - 17 October, 2007
hummmm.... bing!
sweetL 12:53 PM - 29 October, 2007
bumped
k-sharp 3:32 AM - 30 October, 2007
still waiting for this or other type interface improvements...youd think there would be parallel update focuses some on tech features some on usability features..

screw video i want to be able to use the features i have...
DJUltimate 4:18 AM - 30 October, 2007
Quote:
bumped

+1
Nicky Blunt 10:03 AM - 30 October, 2007
Quote:
still waiting for this or other type interface improvements...youd think there would be parallel update focuses some on tech features some on usability features..

screw video i want to be able to use the features i have...

+ Infinity!

I dont care at all about video (I know lot's of you do but as many dont)
DJ GI-NYC 8:31 PM - 3 November, 2007
Video? WHAT!

I always thought that was a dumb ass concept!

Any DJ playin Video mixes is most likely a DJ that cant Really DJ so he wants the crowd to watch TV when they come to the club to mask the fact he cant spin!

Mannnnn please!

THIS FLAG FEATURE is NEEDED and WANTED!
SSL...come on...the holiday is here! Just drop the download already!
dj dawn 10:50 AM - 4 November, 2007
I want this feature! Put it in 1.9 at least!
sweetL 11:04 PM - 12 November, 2007
Quote:
Video? WHAT!

Any DJ playin Video mixes is most likely a DJ that cant Really DJ so he wants the crowd to watch TV when they come to the club to mask the fact he cant spin!

ill ignore this, im looking forward to video..

BUT..

this feature will enhance the usability of the application in its current form

which is more important, surely??
DJUltimate 6:37 AM - 13 November, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Video? WHAT!

ill ignore this, im looking forward to video..

BUT..

this feature will enhance the usability of the application in its current form

which is more important, surely??

Yes, it will most definitely enhance the usability...

and don't call me Shirley
sweetL 6:31 PM - 13 November, 2007
Quote:
Yes, it will most definitely enhance the usability...

and please call me Shirley

ok shirley
sweetL 1:31 AM - 16 November, 2007
bounce
dj dawn 10:31 PM - 30 November, 2007
I hope for this in 1.9
sweetL 6:31 PM - 11 December, 2007
bing bong
dj dawn 6:37 PM - 13 December, 2007
I've heard from a reliable source inside of Serato Audio Research that Enhanced Record Flagging will be included in the next major upcoming release of ScratchLIVE called 1.9

;-)
AFR33K1000 6:50 PM - 13 December, 2007
sweetL 12:56 PM - 31 December, 2007
word?

how reliable??? lol
sweetL 12:22 PM - 29 January, 2008
bing bing bong
AFR33K1000 12:34 PM - 29 January, 2008
DJ GI-NYC 5:49 AM - 1 February, 2008
Damn were still fighting for this feature
DJKasper_YNY 12:45 AM - 2 February, 2008
whats up G.I.

yeah i was surprised this feature was still being debated too...
does anyone know if there is a 1.9 beta forum yet? and if so, the top secret link to join? lol.
DJ GI-NYC 3:52 AM - 4 February, 2008
Man they better fix this 1.8 first! Crap keeps having usb drop outs
sweetL 5:49 PM - 6 February, 2008
show me the way to go home.... tired and i want to go to bed.... had an idea about a year ago, and... etc
Nicky Blunt 3:01 PM - 8 February, 2008
Quote:
show me the way to go home.... tired and i want to go to bed.... had an idea about a year ago, and... etc

ha ha ha noice!!!! Thats funny man im literally laughing out loud!

Had a girl taken from a spot i was working once where she was being carried out covered in her own vomit!

So I droppped that and dedicated it to her!

Funny man!
sweetL 4:13 PM - 8 February, 2008
Lol...

I hate seein drunk girls man... 'specially when they just been sick on themselves or somethin
Nicky Blunt 4:35 PM - 8 February, 2008
^^^ you know it!

Once it was funny when i was like 15 but now if i see anyone girl or guy in that situation i just feel sorry for them!

I'm like damn you have no self control & dont care who knows it!

Shame on you!

ha ha ha!!!
sweetL 11:08 PM - 21 February, 2008
13 months... less 3 days.... come oooooown guys
sweetL 6:43 PM - 25 February, 2008
can someone from serato let me know wether im flogging a dead horse please?

iv been upping this for over a year, and its getting tiring... just like to know that im not pointlessly boinging this thread....
Danny_DJ 12:19 AM - 28 February, 2008
i agree that this feature would be nice. serato needs this and the mini artworks in every browser's line and next to the playing decks for even more optical help
DJ GI-NYC 2:46 AM - 28 February, 2008
2 Nights ago i went back to the roots playing in my city, I keep the Serato at home and played with my crates...8 to be exact. Yup i lugged those 40-50lb crates up 2 flights and into a booth, and i wont lie...That was the best set i played in years! Being able too flag my records was the best! and in addition being able to visually see these lp covers or the tags i made on the top corners make for the best playing! i knew records i was gonna play 2-3 times before i got too em!

I wont lie it felt good not looking at a freakin green text list for records, That method really takes away the creativity for me. For real Serato you guys need to add this feature, i dont see what the hold up is
Nicky Blunt 11:06 AM - 28 February, 2008
Quote:
2 Nights ago i went back to the roots playing in my city, I keep the Serato at home and played with my crates...8 to be exact. Yup i lugged those 40-50lb crates up 2 flights and into a booth, and i wont lie...That was the best set i played in years! Being able too flag my records was the best! and in addition being able to visually see these lp covers or the tags i made on the top corners make for the best playing! i knew records i was gonna play 2-3 times before i got too em!

I wont lie it felt good not looking at a freakin green text list for records, That method really takes away the creativity for me. For real Serato you guys need to add this feature, i dont see what the hold up is

with so many people asking for this it would be great to see a response from the mods!
AKIEM 5:38 PM - 28 February, 2008
I wish the mods would respond to more items as well. but I get the feeling that they are a little worried about tipping their hand sometimes.
frustrating
Danny_DJ 1:25 PM - 26 March, 2008
is there anything new from the developers about that thing?
sweetL 4:23 PM - 2 April, 2008
Another bounce.

Its not just me who wants it.
sweetL 6:15 AM - 8 April, 2008
Sonar 2:19 PM - 8 April, 2008
Just to add to everyone else’s posts, I would love to see this feature as well.
Psyko Logical 6:35 PM - 12 April, 2008

Classic. Thats one of my favorite shows.
sweetL 5:29 PM - 29 April, 2008
bumping bumping bumping
sweetL 3:29 PM - 1 May, 2008
bumpered
DJUltimate 11:29 PM - 3 May, 2008
bumpiness
sweetL 8:15 AM - 7 May, 2008
bing bong
dj dawn 10:54 AM - 13 May, 2008
BUMP!
DJ GI-NYC 12:46 AM - 18 May, 2008
Damn whats tha hold up Serato!!!!!!!!!
Everybody asking for this feature!
sweetL 12:26 PM - 27 May, 2008
bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy fun fun fun fun fun!
DJUltimate 5:10 AM - 29 May, 2008
everybody know I got more BOUNCE than an ounce
DeezNotes 12:36 PM - 29 May, 2008
I use the dots A LOT more now than what I did in the beginning. I wouldn't need the whole bar, but it would be nice if they made the dots a little bigger.

After each set, I save my review list as a crate and name the crate to what set it was. Later I'll mark all songs as blue (except the ones I didn't actually play or won't want to play later). I'll mark all the HOT songs in red. Months later, I have a ton of songs in each crate which can turn my set into a no-brainer because I know all the jams I normally play. If I'm in a crate, I can sort by dot colors and play all reds if I want to (like having all those records at the front of my crate).

Plus, how can we have colored bars if we have "enable sub-crate tracks" turned on and the bar is already gray for songs that are in sub-crates? Not disagreeing with the feature, just curious....
sweetL 8:32 PM - 10 June, 2008
bing!
DJ Yaz 1:31 AM - 11 June, 2008
Yeah, more color!
amadora 8:05 PM - 12 June, 2008
+1
DJ Yaz 7:04 AM - 25 June, 2008
more color, me want!
sweetL 8:19 AM - 9 July, 2008
bing bong
sweetL 8:20 AM - 9 July, 2008
related to this, too

www.scratchlive.net
sweetL 8:19 PM - 7 October, 2008
remember meeee, im the ooooone who had your babiiiies, iiiiii....

(have no idea what im on about? see: "blueboy")
WarpNote 7:14 AM - 8 October, 2008
deng deng deng didi deng deng deng, remember meeeeeiiiieeee ;-)
airdrawn 5:55 PM - 30 October, 2008
+11111111111111111111111111111
sweetL 8:33 PM - 1 November, 2008
ohai! not forget i pls thx
djchrischip 3:51 AM - 21 November, 2008
+1 yah def maybe that would be very useful actually. and more colors/ and make them stand out more!!
dj dawn 11:52 AM - 22 November, 2008
+1
sweetL 10:28 AM - 3 December, 2008
still wanting this, anyone else?
sweetL 3:44 PM - 17 December, 2008
PLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
sweetL 4:33 PM - 8 January, 2009
bing bong
sweetL 10:23 AM - 16 January, 2009
bouncey
sweetL 2:24 PM - 22 January, 2009
bing bong
DJ GI-NYC 11:24 PM - 26 January, 2009
i been asking for this feature for like 2yrs now!
sweetL 9:46 AM - 27 January, 2009
yeah well.. maybe it gets added, maybe it doesnt -= but lets not let it get forgotten!!!
DJ GI-NYC 5:22 AM - 31 January, 2009
For reah Serato if this cant be done id appreciate a responce from the RANE team explaining why then we can be done begging for this request!
djchrischip 12:07 PM - 31 January, 2009
u know what i am going to take away my +1 on the coloring entire row feature and actually -1 on it.
DeezNotes 5:00 PM - 31 January, 2009
What exactly are you guys asking for? I'm a little lost at this point.
Drapol1 5:40 PM - 31 January, 2009
+1
sweetL 6:20 PM - 31 January, 2009
This is what we want:

i48.photobucket.com

chrischip, why ya changed ya mind?
DeezNotes 9:34 PM - 31 January, 2009
Quote:
This is what we want:

i48.photobucket.com

chrischip, why ya changed ya mind?

Oh hell naw! lol
sweetL 12:32 PM - 2 February, 2009
Why not?
DeezNotes 3:58 PM - 2 February, 2009
Well, I currently use the color dots HEAVILY and they help a lot. If anything, I wouldn't mind if the dots were a little bit bigger which may satisfy some people in this thread. I can easily scan through a huge list of songs and identify the ones that have colors associated with them.

I think that making an entire line a color would most likely clash with the current white/green text and could cause a bit more confusion, hence the reason for the dot.

The way I do it is after every [good] gig, I'll save my review list to a crate then go back and color the songs which don't have a color (but needs one). So any track that needs the color red added to it (because it was hot when I played it) gets that color. When I add tracks to my ilbrary, I'll add a color to them right away. It's been working for me so far. So if anything, a slightly bigger dot would be fine for me, not coloring the entire row.
djchrischip 4:20 PM - 2 February, 2009
the thing that changed my mind is not the feature itself it is the proposed way they are going to impliment it. i am all for maybe a bigger colored dot that is a bit brighter or something but I am certainly against the full line of color if u will llol. def agree with DEEZNotes
DJ GI-NYC 10:20 PM - 2 February, 2009
The "Dots" Do NOTHING for me!
I dont play the same set at every club so i need too flag my records before my sets. Example when i open serato id rather have the option to go threw every crate and flag a line of a song just like the graohic link above
DeezNotes 1:19 AM - 3 February, 2009
Quote:
The "Dots" Do NOTHING for me!
I dont play the same set at every club so i need too flag my records before my sets. Example when i open serato id rather have the option to go threw every crate and flag a line of a song just like the graohic link above

Are you saying the dots do nothing because its not as easy to see as the whole line would? Or are you saying that the process I described above wouldn't work for you?

If it's a process issue, then technically you can color the dots before your set. Or better yet, put those songs in a specific crate if there are certain songs you want to hit during the night (kinda like when we would put the records at the front of the crate).
sweetL 10:07 PM - 9 February, 2009
Well id be happy with the dot being bigger / more obvious. At the moment the colours arent obvious enough from each other to actually be really useful while being so small.

The dots are such a great idea, really what im after is a more obvious implementation.

Ask for a full bar coloured, hoping at the very least you get a square.

Its psychology. Probably.
DeezNotes 2:27 PM - 10 February, 2009
If the full square was colored, they may possibly blend in together or make it more difficult to distinguish between each other when looking at the line in its entirety.

I do agree that the colors are very similar to one another. Plus, the sorting of the colors is something I wonder about a lot. Many people use red as a color for a "hot" song and when sorting by colors, red doesn't show up first (I wish it did). Is there a thread on suggesting the sort order for colors?
Konix 5:54 PM - 16 February, 2010
Well, using 2.0 now, if you don't have any interest in using the new album art features, you can use colors instead for the album artwork. Now you can have a nice big box instead of the tiny dot, with brighter and vibrant colors of any color you want and no Easter pastel colors.

See here for more info... Watchwww.youtube.com
IRONIC 12:22 AM - 3 March, 2010
nice option konix
Konix 5:50 AM - 20 December, 2010
Burp.
Henry GQ 10:02 PM - 20 December, 2010
haha i still like how u can do the colors in ur video but think that the those shoudl be where the dots are they should just make the whole dot the square.... as far as the tracks being the same color im ok with that
BMorgan 10:44 PM - 2 October, 2011
+1 for solid color highlighting
Nicky Blunt 11:59 PM - 2 October, 2011
solid color highlighting would look like a child had made it. not a fan of this idea
sweetL 10:03 AM - 6 October, 2011
Quote:
solid color highlighting would look like a child had made it. not a fan of this idea

Been a while since i originally posted this.

Agree actually, it wouldn't look great.

All i want is for the dot to have more vibrant colour options, and for it to be bigger (therefore easier to spot).
deepdjdanny 3:26 AM - 19 March, 2012
colours within colours
Dj Wunder 2:26 AM - 10 October, 2012
I really need to be able to change track color from the virtual deck. I use color to rate tracks, and I do this while it's playing. But once I drop a track I'm searching for something else, so if I want to lock in my color change I need to search back to the playing song and update the color. Why couldn't I just have a small button beside the virtual deck where I can choose it's color?

Or even more universally-

What if there was a small button near the virtual deck that was user assignable to change any tag property? I would set it to color, you might set it to the "Label" tag so you can input your search codes. Whatever, it works for everybody
WarpNote 5:29 AM - 10 October, 2012
Wunder, thats to cluttery IMO.
I use color codes for all my tracks too. If I wanna change color for the playing track I just hit
[ctrl/cmd] + [L] and BAM!, there´s the track. Sure, if spinning 4 decks, you might have to press it a few times, but still very effective IMO.

If inside another crate, press [ctrl/cmd] + [f], make sure the search field is clear (press backspace/delete to clear), then hit [ctrl/cmd] + [f] ..

This method is quick, and Id rather have the SSL interface as simple as possible.
Dj Wunder 5:58 AM - 10 October, 2012
Quote:
Wunder, thats to cluttery IMO.
I use color codes for all my tracks too. If I wanna change color for the playing track I just hit
[ctrl/cmd] + [L] and BAM!, there´s the track. Sure, if spinning 4 decks, you might have to press it a few times, but still very effective IMO.

If inside another crate, press [ctrl/cmd] + [f], make sure the search field is clear (press backspace/delete to clear), then hit [ctrl/cmd] + [f] ..

This method is quick, and Id rather have the SSL interface as simple as possible.

Oh wow I'd never used that shortcut and forgotten about it! I'm not sure what you meant by:

Quote:
If inside another crate, press [ctrl/cmd] + [f], make sure the search field is clear (press backspace/delete to clear), then hit [ctrl/cmd] + [f]

but [cmd] + [L] works great to get back to the playing song.

Honestly I'd much rather the ability to click somewhere on the playing area to pull up a tagging field that I've set up in the options. Perhaps clicking in the Song or Artist field. We can click the tempo and time field to change stuff, what if clicking on the song field brought up a pre-set tagging field (color in my case) and blammo I can set that tag.

Seems easier [cmd]+[L]+click tagging field+click color palette+[cmd]+[F]+whatever I was doing before deciding to change colors, and it doesn't take any more real estate!
WarpNote 7:22 AM - 10 October, 2012
Quote:
Oh wow I'd never used that shortcut and forgotten about it! I'm not sure what you meant by:

Quote:
If inside another crate, press [ctrl/cmd] + [f], make sure the search field is clear (press backspace/delete to clear), then hit [ctrl/cmd] + [f]

By this, I mean: if the playing song is not in your selected crate, you will have to press what I described, in order to locate the track in the list view. Same thing goes if you have a search filter active (ie typed something in search).

First learn the tricks, then find out if you really need this request.
I´m pretty sure you´ll realize that this works pretty damn well...

So honestly, I think they should work on stability and other more important features.
Adding more tagging abilities is nice, but there is other stuff id like to see before they spend time on this.. Thats my take on it, as what I described works so well, I don´t really see the need.

- First of all: cue roll - cues working like loop rool, ie, song continues when you let go of cue button. Same thing as flux mode in the new traktor.

- Second: splice - be able to set a "negative loop", ie playhead will jump past the selected area.
Dj Wunder 8:57 AM - 10 October, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

By this, I mean: if the playing song is not in your selected crate, you will have to press what I described, in order to locate the track in the list view. Same thing goes if you have a search filter active (ie typed something in search).

First learn the tricks, then find out if you really need this request.
I´m pretty sure you´ll realize that this works pretty damn well...

Yeah I have to respectfully disagree. I learned that trick years back, it wasn't useful, promptly forgot it. Tried it again after you reminded me, remembered why it wasn't useful, and quickly shelved it again. It's just a lot of jumping around and a big disruption to the workflow, especially during quick mixes, just to change color. What I'm looking for is to drop a track, get a read on the dancefloor, and color accordingly with two clicks, then move on. I like to spend as little time as possible 'checking my email' as they say.

Quote:
So honestly, I think they should work on stability and other more important features.
Adding more tagging abilities is nice, but there is other stuff id like to see before they spend time on this.. Thats my take on it, as what I described works so well, I don´t really see the need.

- First of all: cue roll - cues working like loop rool, ie, song continues when you let go of cue button. Same thing as flux mode in the new traktor.

- Second: splice - be able to set a "negative loop", ie playhead will jump past the selected area.

Cue roll does not sound like a step toward stability, neither does splice. What's wrong with a good old fashioned DAW? Cue roll would be dope though. I don't think my quicktag idea would hurt stability one bit actually, the code is there, the functions are there, we'd just be accessing them from a new graphical space
WarpNote 5:54 PM - 10 October, 2012
Well, I'll tell you one thing, issues concering tag read/write, databasefiles,
are among the most usual reasons for SSL to crash, at least from my experiences in the past.

Not saying it will crash, but doing color coding while quick mixing is living dangerous...
Even though you can do it, doesn't mean you should LOL.

Quote:
Cue roll does not sound like a step toward stability, neither does splice.

- Cue roll is basically same as cuepoint juggling while roll is enabled. I never EVER had a crash while doing rolls or juggling cues. (I started on version 1.7)
- Splice is basically only moving the playhead. Again, moving the playhead around either using a CDJ in absolute, bumping the tonearme, lifting the needle, or moving the playhead on screen in rel/int, I never EVER had a crash.

Editing tags, and searching for tracks, I've had my fair share of crashes, yes.

So again, lets agree to disagree? Personally, I think those 2 issues are far more worth to SSL users than a tag edit option on the virtual deck. We just disagree, that's all :)

Quote:
What's wrong with a good old fashioned DAW?

I do use Ableton, and do play around with the Bridge, at HOME. Personally I think its to much for regular gigs. The whole point of using splice is to shorten the track, if the floor response isnt what you hoped for.... Sure, I can quick mix out, or mix into the last verse of the same track, but splice will let you make that decision in a split of a second...
Dj Wunder 6:52 PM - 10 October, 2012
Quote:
Well, I'll tell you one thing, issues concering tag read/write, databasefiles,
are among the most usual reasons for SSL to crash, at least from my experiences in the past.

Not saying it will crash, but doing color coding while quick mixing is living dangerous...
Even though you can do it, doesn't mean you should LOL.

Quote:
Cue roll does not sound like a step toward stability, neither does splice.

- Cue roll is basically same as cuepoint juggling while roll is enabled. I never EVER had a crash while doing rolls or juggling cues. (I started on version 1.7)
- Splice is basically only moving the playhead. Again, moving the playhead around either using a CDJ in absolute, bumping the tonearme, lifting the needle, or moving the playhead on screen in rel/int, I never EVER had a crash.

Editing tags, and searching for tracks, I've had my fair share of crashes, yes.

So again, lets agree to disagree? Personally, I think those 2 issues are far more worth to SSL users than a tag edit option on the virtual deck. We just disagree, that's all :)

Quote:
What's wrong with a good old fashioned DAW?

I do use Ableton, and do play around with the Bridge, at HOME. Personally I think its to much for regular gigs. The whole point of using splice is to shorten the track, if the floor response isnt what you hoped for.... Sure, I can quick mix out, or mix into the last verse of the same track, but splice will let you make that decision in a split of a second...

No, we cannot agree to disagree WarpNote, because after the points you just laid out, I totally agree with you :)
WarpNote 7:03 PM - 10 October, 2012
Ok, LOL :D
WarpNote 10:10 PM - 12 November, 2012
So, now as Serato DJ has bigger color boxes, how about implementing it in SSL?