Off-topic Discussion

That which does not fit elsewhere. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Connecting an Android phone to a Mac

Kenny Q 10:10 PM - 1 August, 2010
Please help,
How are you able to download stuff from the Mac into the Android phone?

When I connect my Droid X to the Mac, I get a window that says "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer".

Thanks
skinnyguy 11:31 AM - 2 August, 2010
why not try transferring via bluetooth?
BriChi 12:06 PM - 2 August, 2010
that's weird Kenny, I connect mine to the mac with no issue, latest Mac build 10.6.4 I believe, When I connect, just choose "disc drive" as connection type, then the 2 drives, internal and external should show up (external being the included 2gb flash drive). you can then just drag any files, movies music or photos to the drives, when you disconnect, the files will then show up on the phone. i created folders on each drive to keep it organized like MUSIC, MOVIES, etc....
DJ'Que 4:15 PM - 2 August, 2010
Do it give you the option to select charge, open drive, sync, that's what I get on my evo so I select drive and bam my mac reads it.but the bluetooth file transfer its dope also I'm on froyo 2.2 now is blazing fast.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:24 PM - 3 August, 2010
Maybe it is reading the (unformated) SD card in the phone?

iPhone FTW!
BriChi 6:58 PM - 3 August, 2010
how is the iphone as far as being able to use it as an external HD like we can do? oh thats right, you cant unless you jailbreak it, lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:59 PM - 3 August, 2010
Quote:
how is the iphone as far as being able to use it as an external HD like we can do? oh thats right, you cant unless you jailbreak it, lol

hows the android at sinking to an itunes playlist for wasy organisation and syncing...oh ya you cant PERIOD
BriChi 9:04 PM - 3 August, 2010
nor do I want to, I dont use iTunes cause it sucks ass. Just drag and drop and songs I want right into a folder on the droid and its all organized for me
BriChi 9:06 PM - 3 August, 2010
other then facetime, which I would never use, The iPhone does nothing the droid cant plus like I have mentioned on many threads before, I can now actually drive from home to work without dropping a call, ITS AMAZING WHAT A REAL NETWORK SHOULD BE LIKE. ATT can suck my balls
BriChi 9:08 PM - 3 August, 2010
oh, and by the way Bez, even though I dont use itunes I looked it up anyway and YES, you can sync droid with itunes via "dbl twist" and other free apps in case your interested. :)
skinnyguy 9:09 PM - 3 August, 2010
Quote:
nor do I want to, I dont use iTunes cause it sucks ass. Just drag and drop and songs I want right into a folder on the droid and its all organized for me

+1

but then again, i don't put music on my phone. nor do i have an ipod...
BriChi 9:12 PM - 3 August, 2010
plus if you really wanted to use your itunes library on the droid you simply open itunes, highlight all the songs I want on the phone, and drag them to a folder on my droid, that easy. No need to deal with syncing and organizing itunes to sync with my phone, I select the song i want and drag it, simple
BriChi 9:27 PM - 3 August, 2010
now back to the original topic:

Kenny, try these suggestions out on this page: www.droidforums.net like turn on usb debugging in settings>applications>development, pull down notification bar, hit usb option and select usb storage.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:38 PM - 3 August, 2010
Quote:
plus if you really wanted to use your itunes library on the droid you simply open itunes, highlight all the songs I want on the phone, and drag them to a folder on my droid, that easy. No need to deal with syncing and organizing itunes to sync with my phone, I select the song i want and drag it, simple

ya that dioes sound easy

to bad that wont work without

Quote:
now back to the original topic:

Kenny, try these suggestions out on this page: www.droidforums.net like turn on usb debugging in settings>applications>development, pull down notification bar, hit usb option and select usb storage.

if that even works LOL

Have fun trying to figure out how to connect to your mac ;)
BriChi 10:08 PM - 3 August, 2010
obviously something is up with just his phone, mine connects with no issues at all. You iPhone fanboys are so funny, a while ago you had a leg to stand on but these days the iphone is nothing special compared to what is out there now, take the blinders off. I had the iphone since version 1, day 1 of release, then the 3g and then 3gs, Loved them all but att sucked, now that i dumped it for the incredible, it blows the iphone away in A LOT of ways WITHOUT having to jailbreak it

and yes, it is easy unlike tunes where i have to select and deslect 100 options based on what i want to sync and not sync each time i sync the phone and again, I dont use itunes because it sucks so its kinda irrelevant if its easy for the iphone or not, eather way i wouldnt use it. i could post for ya too bez the amount of people who have issues getting the iphone to work right with itunes too, its either crashing, the backup freezes, files fail, theres plenty of em, and lets not start on the failure that is the iPhone 4 where they now have to give people free cases just so you can make a phone call.

droid beats you guys on many levels

VERIZON - number 1 reason
customization
HTC sense is sick
widgets for bookmarks, calendars, email, youtube, favorites for phone calls and many more
8mp camera
free tethering with a free app, again without have to jailbreak my phone
navigation BLOWS THE IPHONES AWAY by far, and I owned the iphones so I can compare from personal use
voice to text works great, especially when needing to to text while driving. No extra app needed, built right into the phones keyboard out of the box
oh and did I mention that verizon blows att out of the water. Has the droid INC since release date a couple of months ago, use my phone A LOT for phone calls when driving and never have i lost a call yet, except for my wifes call because she was driving with her iphone and dropped the call :)

what does the iphone have over the droid that I know of:
Apps - (yes you have a lot more apps but any of the usual popular apps most people want like myself, are out on the droid market)

facetime - novelty that will wear off IMO, yes its cool that it does it but again, most people will use and be like OH THIS IS SO COOL, show off to their friends and such and then never use it again. I have 3 friends of mine that use th iphone 4 and thats exactly what they did, havent touched it since

nicer looking phone, I will give it to apple that as usual they came out with a great looking phone, now if only you can use it perfectly as a phone without losing signal
Kenny Q 11:41 PM - 3 August, 2010
Quote:

Brian,
Thank you very very much for the link. I got it working now.
BriChi 11:44 PM - 3 August, 2010
no problem man,
heidiwoods 8:27 AM - 19 October, 2015
If you want to transfer music from Mac to an Android phone, I suggest you to try TunesGo. To move photos, videos, messages etc. from Mac to Android, maybe you can try Phone Transfer.
www.recovery-android.com
Alice Clinton 9:59 AM - 9 November, 2015
well, here are many reasons that your devices can not be indentified, likeca hardware problem with your phone, your Mac, or your cable or phone set wrong, you can refer to

How to Connect Android to PC/Mac for Recovering Lost Files
www.androidrecoveryformac.com
serenaliar 8:02 AM - 7 December, 2015
Recommend you to use free software Android File Transfer. Download and install the software on your Mac. When it's done, connect your Android to Mac. A window will pop up showing you all data stored in Android phone in folders.
Here is a detail guide:www.recovery-android.com
The Return of Dj Sparky 2:47 AM - 8 December, 2015
looks like we got a few androids in here
DJ Remix Detroit 12:05 PM - 10 December, 2015
Quote:

Yup... Just dropped my iPhone and went to a galaxy note 4
DJ Remix Detroit 12:06 PM - 10 December, 2015
Apple is really dropping the ball. The shit they have been coming out with recently has been utterly ridiculous.
RogerRabbit 5:54 PM - 10 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Lol - I think he was talking about the [3] advertisement posts above his...

But as far as the phone wars - use whatever company that works for you.
DJ Remix Detroit 12:21 AM - 11 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Lol - I think he was talking about the [3] advertisement posts above his...

But as far as the phone wars - use whatever company that works for you.

Oh damn. Lol
Scully DJ Services 5:02 AM - 14 December, 2015
Quote:
Apple is really dropping the ball. The shit they have been coming out with recently has been utterly ridiculous.

Can you give examples and reasoning?
DJ Remix Detroit 5:08 AM - 14 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Can you give examples and reasoning?

here's one: Design before function: Apple Magic Mouse 2 can’t be used while charging

a mouse that has to be charged from the bottom.
DJ Remix Detroit 5:09 AM - 14 December, 2015
DJ Remix Detroit 5:15 AM - 14 December, 2015
a one port macbook: www.wired.com

1 port on a computer? where they do dat at? lol
Scully DJ Services 5:21 AM - 14 December, 2015
Fair enough. I would agree to a point that accessories like the mouse, 6s battery case, and iPad Pro are hot garbage. On the other hand, they have been incredibly innovative and successful with the 6S as well as the trashcan Mac Pro.

As for the Macbook, you have to look at the intended audience and use. It isn't meant for productivity, it is meant to be extremely light, compact, and simple. IMO, it achieves those goals pretty well. On a side note, it was definitely a playground for the Apple engineers. By creating it, they came up with batteries that are perfectly shaped to fit in their housings which means more battery in less space as well as using USB Type-C for multiple uses at once (charging, data, external graphics).
DJ Remix Detroit 5:24 AM - 14 December, 2015
Quote:
Fair enough. I would agree to a point that accessories like the mouse, 6s battery case, and iPad Pro are hot garbage. On the other hand, they have been incredibly innovative and successful with the 6S as well as the trashcan Mac Pro.

As for the Macbook, you have to look at the intended audience and use. It isn't meant for productivity, it is meant to be extremely light, compact, and simple. IMO, it achieves those goals pretty well. On a side note, it was definitely a playground for the Apple engineers. By creating it, they came up with batteries that are perfectly shaped to fit in their housings which means more battery in less space as well as using USB Type-C for multiple uses at once (charging, data, external graphics).

i hear ya... at the end of the day, it's all subjective.

in my opinion, i just think that apple has gone downhill. i recently traded in my iphone for a galaxy note 4, because im sick of apple making super thin phones and sacrificing battery life. i love my note 4, i can go a day and a half without charging it and it take way better pictures than my iphone did.
Scully DJ Services 12:40 PM - 14 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

i hear ya... at the end of the day, it's all subjective.

in my opinion, i just think that apple has gone downhill. i recently traded in my iphone for a galaxy note 4, because im sick of apple making super thin phones and sacrificing battery life. i love my note 4, i can go a day and a half without charging it and it take way better pictures than my iphone did.

What iPhone did you have?
DJ Remix Detroit 8:40 AM - 17 December, 2015
5S
d:raf 2:41 AM - 18 December, 2015
I just switched from a Nokia Lumia 1520 (Windows) to the new LG V10 (Android). I wanted the Lumia 950XL, but AT&T is only carrying the 950 and I didn't want to give Microsoft $650 for the XL directly (currently the only way it's sold). The V10 isn't a bad 2nd choice though... I can get used to this 32 bit DAC and native FLAC support :).

Connecting the V10 to my macbook pro is much easier than the windows phone was, but I still have to use an app (Android File Transfer), and it was giving me issues with recognizing the phone until I deleted the Samsung Kies program I was using before with my Galaxy S1 (my last Android phone experience before I defected). Windows used an Itunes-like interface and I'm very glad not to have to deal with any of that "sync" crap anymore... now it's just drag & drop. I still prefer the Windows Phone GUI to Android, but it's come a long way... and I can't deny that it's good to FINALLY have access to all the apps that were promised to Windows forever ("I waited 2 years, n*ggas, where ya'll at?").
DJ Remix Detroit 1:45 PM - 18 December, 2015
Quote:
I still prefer the Windows Phone GUI

I'm not much of a windows fan... but i've gotta give credit where credit is due. The windows platform on cell phones in very efficient and bug free.

my buddy works for verizon and says that the phones with the least amount of problems are the windows phone.

he told me that the nokia phones are running lower end hardware specs compared to apple phones and android phones and the Windows mobile OS runs pretty much flawless.

so if you are looking for ultimate stability and can sacrifice features, then windows is the way to go for mobile.
JpNahle 4:13 PM - 22 December, 2015
[post removed]
grell72 10:46 AM - 29 December, 2016
Android File Transfer works but it is too buggy.
grell72 6:55 AM - 5 January, 2017
Or you can use MobileGo instead. It has a Mac version and works well for data transfer and backup for Android based smartphones. Here is the tutorial: www.androidphonesoft.com
Nallerge 10:55 AM - 2 August, 2017
I also is first encountered this problem , the usual , i transferred messages ,contacts , photos from my Samsung to computer without any abnormal , probably it depends on the tool ,
This is my method and transfer tool that you can understand :
www.android-rescuer.com
Eamery 9:58 AM - 4 November, 2017
A good guide to transfer contacts from Android to computer , i usually follow this tutorial to transfer contacts and messags ,
www.mobiledic.com
printer repair dubai 6:20 AM - 10 November, 2017
Much obliged to you for sharing this information.I congragulate your push to do this.good work,keep it up.
printerrepair.ae