Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

MACBOOK PRO - how can i make it faster ie Loading Time and Opening Crates

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL1
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
DJ CUTLOOSE 11:07 PM - 8 July, 2010
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.0
Hardware: scratchlive-sl1
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.6.0
---

Hi guys just got going on my Macbook Pro, 1st time Ive ever touched one and I am very Impressed !!

Its good to be on a mac finally after 5 years on SSL

Here's the specs

Macbook Pro
Processor - 2.16 Ghz Intel Core Duo
Memory - 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Operating System Snow Leopard 10.6.0
500 GB internal HD

350 GB of files on internal HD

Theres only one main thing I want to speed up . That is the speed SSL opens crates, I have some pretty large crates and subcrates and the visuals freeze(not sound so its cool), the spinning ball appears for a few seconds on big crates.

I'm thinking it may be more ram needed, but Im sure you experienced mac users will tell me :-)

Also it takes 7 minutes for SSL to fully open and load crates, is this a ram issue as well ?

I have disabled dashboard and I only use the mac for SSL, so is it a good idea to delete everything else off as I dont need it ?

Any tweaks you know of would be cool !

Many thanx

DJ Cutloose
55david 11:10 PM - 8 July, 2010
upgrade to 4gb of ram
55david 11:11 PM - 8 July, 2010
also turn off airport and bluetooth
DJ CUTLOOSE 11:21 PM - 8 July, 2010
thanx David,what the most amount of ram I can put in
55david 11:36 PM - 8 July, 2010
i have 4 in my new one and very fast
DJ CUTLOOSE 11:39 PM - 8 July, 2010
Thats what Im going to order tomorrow , looks like its not to bad to do yourself as well.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 12:45 AM - 9 July, 2010
Hey DJ CUTLOOSE,

Increasing your computer's memory won't necessarily increase the speed Scratch Live loads your music and crates. This is because Scratch Live will already be accessing the maximum amount of RAM it can, the rest falls on CPU.

When you have 350GB of music with a large amount of crates it's normal for it to take a while to load. :)
DJ CUTLOOSE 7:27 AM - 9 July, 2010
Thanx Logan, will it help increase the speed I can open and close crates once it has loaded up
victor_M 11:41 AM - 9 July, 2010
one thing you can do to speed up the load times is expand all your crates....I have a crap load of crates and when I expanded all of them it loads 50% faster.
DJ CUTLOOSE 4:58 PM - 9 July, 2010
@ victor that sounds good, how do you expand your crates
DJ CUTLOOSE 5:01 PM - 9 July, 2010
I see what ur saying Victor :-) , just been a long day lol

How can i make my crates expand faster once im in ssl , maybe my crates have to many subfolders and files
victor_M 11:49 AM - 11 July, 2010
Quote:
I see what ur saying Victor :-) , just been a long day lol

How can i make my crates expand faster once im in ssl , maybe my crates have to many subfolders and files

don't know the answer to that one. I usually leave the one's I use a lot expanded.
JonLangford 4:15 PM - 11 July, 2010
i too have about the same amount of data (in size terms) although i use wav files so there may be a difference in quantity...

i'd recommend getting an internal 7200rpm disc - Seagate do a 500GB one... they are just about to release a 750gb one (my next purchase!)

that will speed up the OS load time and crate searching