DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Am I moving too slow?

DJ Lewshis 8:32 AM - 4 July, 2010
I have been DJing with equipment for about 2 months and I'm not sure if I am learning everything fast enough.
Right now, I've got neck pain from DJing so much. lol. :)

This is what I've learned:
-The Baby, Forward & Backward, Tear, Scribble, Chirp, Transformer (It's not perfect, but it works in some songs), and Flare (It's not perfect either, but it too works in some songs) scratches.
-Beat Juggles are probably my best feature
-I've made a few mash-ups. I edit tiny things in them every day.
-Beat-matching. I'm really good at beat-matching as long as I have the BPM of the song written somewhere :)

Things I'm not too good at:
-Transitions because when I try things off the fly, my transitions are horrible. But when I have it planned, they are almost perfect.
- The Crab and Twiddle Scratch. I've made my fingers bleed from practicing these 2, but I just can't get the right sound.

Also, I'm not sure if I should put ankle weights on my wrists to help me move faster. What do you think?
The Return of Dj Sparky 8:47 AM - 4 July, 2010
ha ha 2 months, things take time to perfect,
you need to relax and just go with the flow and everything will fall into place
djchope 8:55 AM - 4 July, 2010
seems like your exaggerating a little, just have fun with it.
ninos 9:25 AM - 4 July, 2010
yup no doubt. just keep playing and playing. everything will fall into place.
philldafunk 10:18 AM - 4 July, 2010
As far as finger strength goes, try out one of those guitar grip strengtheners, also while you're still fresh try working on your ambidextrousness (one HUGE thing I regret not doing).

Sounds like you're having fun mastering your craft! Another bit of advice I have is that if it gets to a point where it's no longer fun for you, take a step back and prioritize.....

peace
jhgjhjhg 10:35 AM - 4 July, 2010
2 months?, seriously? Get the fuck outa here with that, I spent 6 months jus learning how to mix, that was 13 years ago, forget about the technical scratchs. stick with and get the basics right 1st, u have to crawl before you can walk.
djchope 10:37 AM - 4 July, 2010
Quote:
2 months?, seriously? Get the fuck outa here with that, I spent 6 months jus learning how to mix, that was 13 years ago, forget about the technical scratchs. stick with and get the basics right 1st, u have to crawl before you can walk.

+1
i demand for DJ Lewshis to post a video haha
this kid is going to be damn good!
Maskrider 10:40 AM - 4 July, 2010
Lol..........What a cry baby..........There is no guarantee on everything you do have fun and if you think your tired of it quit.
DJ Bill Blast 1:31 PM - 4 July, 2010
You gotta crawl before you can walk homie.

Keep doing your thing, just dont rush or it will sound that way.
T-SWIFT 3:21 PM - 4 July, 2010
I 2nd that on the video! 2 months and you're that far?! Either you're lying or you're taking this toooo seriously... OR... You're going to be the best DJ the world has ever seen!!!!!!!

But for real though, keep practicing but give it a rest when neccessary. You'll find you will learn a lot of things by accident. Sometimes mistakes sound reeeeealy good. And I find that after a brief rest (of a week or more) I start off sloppy the first day or so. But then I'm better than ever.
DJ DennisJ 6:19 PM - 4 July, 2010
At two months you should be concentrating on two things only:

1) Beat-matching (and not just 'if you know the bpm'). Cover you monitor, pick two songs that are somewhat close, and mix them blindly and perfectly.

2) Transitions. If this is your weak spot, this is what you should be spending all your time.

And another item you didn't even mention: Song knowledge and selection. You can be a dope DJ but if you don't know your music, it doesn't really matter. Take some time to study the eras, 80s electro/new wave/rock, 70s disco/funk, 90s hip-hop/R&B. One of the thing that makes a good DJ into a great DJ is knowledge of music.

Scratching and all that other fun stuff is cool, but if you can't do 1 and 2, you're going to be that DJ in the club who scratches in every song and hopes the crowd thinks he's cool.
DJ Lewshis 6:34 PM - 4 July, 2010
I'll post a video asap. I'm just waiting for my new needles and slipmats.

I have 2 babies in my house and they always bother me, so I'll wait until they are out of the house to record it. My sound system is crap and has little bass just so everyone knows.

Quote:
And another item you didn't even mention: Song knowledge and selection. You can be a dope DJ but if you don't know your music, it doesn't really matter. Take some time to study the eras, 80s electro/new wave/rock, 70s disco/funk, 90s hip-hop/R&B. One of the thing that makes a good DJ into a great DJ is knowledge of music.

I have a lot of that, but I always want more. And I have a lot of techno remixes of pop/R&B/hiphop songs.

Quote:
1) Beat-matching (and not just 'if you know the bpm'). Cover you monitor, pick two songs that are somewhat close, and mix them blindly and perfectly.

I have been touching on that when I work with my vinyl.

Also, are Wonderwall mixes played out? Cause I am working on a Wonderwall mix.
ninos 6:40 PM - 4 July, 2010
Quote:
I'll post a video asap. I'm just waiting for my new needles and slipmats.

I have 2 babies in my house and they always bother me, so I'll wait until they are out of the house to record it. My sound system is crap and has little bass just so everyone knows.

Quote:

I have a lot of that, but I always want more. And I have a lot of techno remixes of pop/R&B/hiphop songs.

Quote:

I have been touching on that when I work with my vinyl.

Also, are Wonderwall mixes played out? Cause I am working on a Wonderwall mix.

when you mean "techno" remixes of hiphop songs, are you referring to like uptempo remixes of current top40 songs? because if you are thats not "techno". that is top40 garbage.
DJ Lewshis 6:44 PM - 4 July, 2010
Quote:
when you mean "techno" remixes of hiphop songs, are you referring to like uptempo remixes of current top40 songs? because if you are thats not "techno". that is top40 garbage.

Like from people who actually remix with a techno beat. The ones I saw from looking quick are Laidback Luke, SoulWax, and Afrojack
sacrilicious 7:07 PM - 4 July, 2010
Those guys all do pretty good "techno remixes" of pop songs but you'll get a lot better mixing the originals.
jhgjhjhg 7:13 PM - 4 July, 2010
in regards to practising, music is something you have to feel, only engage in it when ur feeling it, when ur not leave it alone or else u kill it.
beatdown 10:28 PM - 4 July, 2010
What do you want to do with DJing? Have you ever DJed a party or event? Battled someone? Sounds like your music taste is EDM, but youre practicing turntablism and making mainstream mash-ups. Probably feel lost because you don't know where you want to get to with this all. Playing out will help you to answer these questions.
DJ DennisJ 11:35 PM - 4 July, 2010
I was thinking the same thing. :)

To elaborate on it though-- Do you want to stick to EDM? Clubs? Or do you want to do house parties, corporate gigs, birthdays, weddings, etc?

If you have any desire to do the latter, and you drop an uptempo remix (I call them electro remixes), you'll most likely fail. People at those types of events want to hear originals, or stuff that sounds close to the original. If someone at a wedding/corporate party comes up to you and asks for 'twist and shout' and you put on an electro remix of it...
DJ Lewshis 11:51 PM - 4 July, 2010
I want to be THE club DJ. The one who is fully booked all the time. But I don't want to be Tiesto. I want to be able to mix Rock, EDM, HipHop, and R&B together for my sets and just make the club bounce.
But I also want to be able to battle other DJs and tear it up.

I want to stay away from weddings, birthdays, and house parties because I don't want to get sucked into that DJ world. I will do parties for close friends, family, and of course celebrities :) though.
I want to see people bounce to what I do and make people wonder how I come up with my ideas.

Also, I have a drummer who asked me to jam with them.

My dad has connections with Jet and LAX nightclub, so I could do a set in there by the end of the year if I can get everything to get in place.
DJ Lewshis 12:00 AM - 5 July, 2010
O and with those connections. My dad won't let me play until my skillz are great, so it's not like I can get anything
ninos 12:33 AM - 5 July, 2010
Quote:
I want to be THE club DJ. The one who is fully booked all the time. But I don't want to be Tiesto. I want to be able to mix Rock, EDM, HipHop, and R&B together for my sets and just make the club bounce.
But I also want to be able to battle other DJs and tear it up.

I want to stay away from weddings, birthdays, and house parties because I don't want to get sucked into that DJ world. I will do parties for close friends, family, and of course celebrities :) though.
I want to see people bounce to what I do and make people wonder how I come up with my ideas.

Also, I have a drummer who asked me to jam with them.

My dad has connections with Jet and LAX nightclub, so I could do a set in there by the end of the year if I can get everything to get in place.

lucky.. man. post a mix... of a vid. kmon
djchope 1:35 AM - 5 July, 2010
Quote:

DUDE thats the funnest part of DJ'ing crawling yourself up to the top.
Its all about progression. your missing out.
Right now worry about getting small party gigs (thats if you can) not JET and LAX nightclub gigs
DJ DennisJ 1:47 AM - 5 July, 2010
Not to mention that 'that DJ world' pays a lot of money and can help pay the bills. But it does take some effort to learn more music than mashups and electro remix.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:36 AM - 5 July, 2010
Quote:
But I also want to be able to battle other DJs and tear it up..

I can already feel the disappointment your going to experience when you play for your 1st real live crowd and you begin to grasp the difference between the fantasy pf djing thats in your head and the reality of working in a club
DJ Lewshis 10:35 AM - 5 July, 2010
Quote:
Not to mention that 'that DJ world' pays a lot of money and can help pay the bills. But it does take some effort to learn more music than mashups and electro remix.

I'm not in it for the pay. I'm in it because I love DJing.

I show no disrespect to anyone who does weddings, house parties, and birthdays. It's just not for me though.

Quote:
Quote:

I can already feel the disappointment your going to experience when you play for your 1st real live crowd and you begin to grasp the difference between the fantasy pf djing thats in your head and the reality of working in a club

How will I be disappointed? It's my first club gig bro. I know I've got a lot to learn after just 1 gig and I'll be excited that I've completed my first gig after the night, no matter what.
Technically I have played for a live crowd in my school.... just not a club crowd.
Mighty Maxx 1:53 PM - 5 July, 2010
i will add my two cents here:

i am not a fan of corporate events or weddings and such, but they are great places to learn how to move a crowd, and ultimately, that is what being a DJ is all about, crowd control. For me musical knowledge and knowing how to "read" the crowd are the most important aspects of being a GREAT dj. Weddings and such help with that, because you will have everyone from a 2 year old banging a spoon on the table to some 100 year old woman requesting Frank Sinatra in the middle of a hip-hop set.

When people leave your event, club, wedding, etc; and they had a good time, then you did your job! Scratching will come with time, for right now work on blending/transitioning and TAKE EVERY GIG YOU CAN! That is where you will cut your teeth, on live gigs, not the bedroom. My first couple of years DJ'ing, I did tons of free gigs, just to get the practice of rocking a live crowd.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:43 PM - 5 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

I show no disrespect to anyone who does weddings, house parties, and birthdays. It's just not for me though.

Quote:
Quote:

How will I be disappointed? It's my first club gig bro. I know I've got a lot to learn after just 1 gig and I'll be excited that I've completed my first gig after the night, no matter what.
Technically I have played for a live crowd in my school.... just not a club crowd.

youll see what im talking about when you get there, when you start throwin down a rockin set thats technically sound from a dj standpoint, when your crossing genres like crazy showing your musical knowledge and performing awsome technical routines and you look up expecting the crowd to be eating out of the palm of your hand but instead their looking at you with the stink face and forming a line to request you play "something they know" and the newest hot garbage radio lil wayne gucci bullshit madness on repeat
DJ Lewshis 8:59 PM - 5 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

youll see what im talking about when you get there, when you start throwin down a rockin set thats technically sound from a dj standpoint, when your crossing genres like crazy showing your musical knowledge and performing awsome technical routines and you look up expecting the crowd to be eating out of the palm of your hand but instead their looking at you with the stink face and forming a line to request you play "something they know" and the newest hot garbage radio lil wayne gucci bullshit madness on repeat

I've already expected that because those songs are top 50 for a reason, so I've already got a plan for that. Not trying to sound like a know it all, but my plan is to look at the crowd and figure out what they like.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:21 PM - 5 July, 2010
Quote:

but my plan is to look at the crowd and figure out what they like.

what a novel idea, very inovative
djbanno 10:46 PM - 5 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

but my plan is to look at the crowd and figure out what they like.

what a novel idea, very inovative

lol!
djchope 11:12 PM - 5 July, 2010
(waiting for video or audio)
@DJ Lewshis
i really wana see your skills, for two months you have done a lot for yourself
i love the weights in the hands ideas, that actually might work hahah
Dj Shamann 11:26 PM - 5 July, 2010
Too slow? Jesus man, you're moving too fast! You don't know how to transistion yet but you're leaqrning to crab-orbit-flare-twiddle scratch? WTF?

Slow down man, slow down.

Deep breaths.
DJ DennisJ 11:51 PM - 5 July, 2010
wouldn't that be a crab-flare-twiddle-orbit? I think you'd have to have some tricky timing maneuvers to make that sound good!
DJ DennisJ 11:54 PM - 5 July, 2010
I don't think weights will do anything for dexterity, just strength. Just because your finger/wrist has to push harder to do something doesn't mean it can do it faster when the weight is removed. For dexterity, the only thing I can think of is to practice with faster instrumentals, or play some games on the Wii. But not that stupid WeWok bull#$%^.
DJ Lewshis 12:13 AM - 6 July, 2010
Quote:
(waiting for video or audio)
@DJ Lewshis
i really wana see your skills, for two months you have done a lot for yourself
i love the weights in the hands ideas, that actually might work hahah

Right now, the only audio tracks I have out is one I made last July/August on a video editing software (Final Cut Pro). It's not even close to my best though. www.myspace.com is where it's at.

Tomorrow night I'll hopefully have my new slipmats and needles, then I'll try to get either a video or at least audio up.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:18 AM - 6 July, 2010
Yo, I remember you. You posted this same type of scenario sometime before. I remember you saying you had "Connects" with JET or LAX via your father...

Where's your original post?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:22 AM - 6 July, 2010
Here it is.

www.scratchlive.net

This is the kid who's dad bought him a ton of equipment....

I remember posting in that thread....
DJ Lewshis 1:38 AM - 6 July, 2010
Quote:
Yo, I remember you. You posted this same type of scenario sometime before. I remember you saying you had "Connects" with JET or LAX via your father...

Where's your original post?

Yea haha
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:41 AM - 6 July, 2010
Ok, so you've been DJ'ing for 2 months, getting ready for LAX and JET.

I have to see a vid.
DJ Lewshis 2:59 AM - 6 July, 2010
Quote:

I have to see a vid.

I have already agreed to showing a vid asap. I'm waiting for my slipmats and needles.

I'm down a needle atm and I got slipmats that are dead. I'm probably going to samash or guitar center tomorrow to see if I can get it.
ninos 5:54 AM - 6 July, 2010
Quote:

I have to see a vid.

+1
DJ_Phenom 6:51 AM - 6 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

I have to see a vid.

I have already agreed to showing a vid asap. I'm waiting for my slipmats and needles.

I'm down a needle atm and I got slipmats that are dead. I'm probably going to samash or guitar center tomorrow to see if I can get it.

Slipmats that are severely hampering your performance??? I think thats the first time ive ever heard that...
djSMIRK 6:59 AM - 6 July, 2010
i smell troll

or

pauly d.
DJ Lewshis 7:26 AM - 6 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have to see a vid.

Slipmats that are severely hampering your performance??? I think thats the first time ive ever heard that...

I never said they were hampering me, did I? I don't wanna mess up the motor on my technics by moving the platter back while it's going.

Quote:
i smell troll

or

pauly d.

I love it when people doubt me. It motivates me to do better.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:06 PM - 6 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

I have to see a vid.

wait...so youve learned all the above with no slipmats in 2 months and youve already broke a needle along with it...hmmmmm.....tracking...this thread has potential to reach epic status
DJ_Phenom 6:00 PM - 6 July, 2010
Quote:
I never said they were hampering me, did I? I don't wanna mess up the motor on my technics by moving the platter back while it's going.

I know good DJs who have had the same slipmats for years.... If you've been DJing for 2-3 months and you are having slipmat issues then something isn't right. Like bezzle mentioned, what were you using when you learned all those scratches?
DJ Lewshis 7:33 PM - 6 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have to see a vid.

wait...so youve learned all the above with no slipmats in 2 months and youve already broke a needle along with it...hmmmmm.....tracking...this thread has potential to reach epic status

I have slipmats. they just have lost that umph and take the platter backwards with them. Maybe DJs like it that way, but I do not.
And in another post a few weeks ago I explained now my needle broke. I haven't had the money for new needles, but finally I've saved up enough for a new needle. My dad is helping me buy some $10 slipmats to hold me over until I get money for the good slipmats.

so yes.... I have been using 1 deck to learn how to scratch. I put the other deck into internal when I beatmatch or try to transition. And I use the other deck without putting a needle on it to get down scratching motions.... I'm still not very good working the crossfader with my left and scratching with my right hand though.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:35 PM - 6 July, 2010
He sounds convincing....lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:36 PM - 6 July, 2010
make your own slipmats to hold you over.....take a record sleeve, put your record over it, draw a circle around the edge, then cut off the excess to form a circle and you have a great slipmat that will hold you over until you get you magic baller performance slipmats
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:37 PM - 6 July, 2010
Quote:

.... I'm still not very good working the crossfader with my left and scratching with my right hand though.

.....then use the left deck to scratch on..
DJ Lewshis 7:38 PM - 6 July, 2010
Quote:
make your own slipmats to hold you over.....take a record sleeve, put your record over it, draw a circle around the edge, then cut off the excess to form a circle and you have a great slipmat that will hold you over until you get you magic baller performance slipmats

I'll try that right now
DJ Lewshis 7:39 PM - 6 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

.... I'm still not very good working the crossfader with my left and scratching with my right hand though.

.....then use the left deck to scratch on..

I'm trying to become ambedexterous or however you spell it.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:40 PM - 6 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

I'll try that right now

make sure you use the plastic part of the sleeve
sacrilicious 7:51 PM - 6 July, 2010
I had to mix half of a set with one deck and no slip mat a few weeks back--it went surprisingly well.
CMOS 8:12 PM - 6 July, 2010
I still wanna know how slipmats lose their oomph. And how much do the oomph saving mats cost?
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:15 PM - 6 July, 2010
Quote:
I still wanna know how slipmats lose their oomph. And how much do the oomph saving mats cost?

+1

question: You said your going to get a $10 slipmat to cover you until you get "good" slipmats...you do realise for $10 more you can just GET good slipmats....your kinda wasting some money there champ
DJ_Phenom 8:18 PM - 6 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

+1

question: You said your going to get a $10 slipmat to cover you until you get "good" slipmats...you do realise for $10 more you can just GET good slipmats....your kinda wasting some money there champ

With a starter set-up like he's got, being frugal is probably not his main concern... but it makes you ask how you can get a $2000 set up without the extra $150-$200 for needles and slipmats? Just sayin...
CMOS 8:20 PM - 6 July, 2010
Quote:
[-Beat Juggles are probably my best feature

After 2 months your jugglin? i gotta see this vid.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:22 PM - 6 July, 2010
Quote:

With a starter set-up like he's got, being frugal is probably not his main concern......

you would think that but when i read this

Quote:

My dad is helping me buy some $10 slipmats to hold me over until I get money for the good slipmats

it makes me wonder
DJ_Phenom 8:23 PM - 6 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Slow down, the kid broke a needle and juggled his slipmats into dust. He clearly has other things on his mind...
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:24 PM - 6 July, 2010
crack??
CMOS 8:25 PM - 6 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Slow down, the kid broke a needle and juggled his slipmats into dust. He clearly has other things on his mind...

Yo i just had everyone in my office look over to my door, this shit made me spit gatorade all over my desk.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:34 PM - 6 July, 2010
ok did some digging and found his needle story......curiouser and cursier

Quote:

I did my first performance not too long ago. It was a quick 5 minute mix at my school. I had it going perfectly. Everyone loved it. Then close to the end I was going to scratch and I hit my tonearm which bent my needle and scratched my vinyl. I scratched on the other deck as I faded it over (the transition was my worst ever, but I really had no choice) and finished it out.
haha there were no fights or shotgun blasts or people slipping me money.
DJ_Phenom 8:37 PM - 6 July, 2010
Quote:

Quote:

I did my first performance not too long ago. It was a quick 5 minute mix at my school. I had it going perfectly. Everyone loved it. Then close to the end I was going to scratch and I hit my tonearm which bent my needle and scratched my vinyl. I scratched on the other deck as I faded it over (the transition was my worst ever, but I really had no choice) and finished it out.

DJ M.Bezzle Serato forum star by day, Private Dick by night. lol.
DJ Lewshis 8:42 PM - 6 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+1

With a starter set-up like he's got, being frugal is probably not his main concern... but it makes you ask how you can get a $2000 set up without the extra $150-$200 for needles and slipmats? Just sayin...

It's eazy. We ain't no rich family. Just get a credit card..... And then don't pay it back.

Now I gotta pay 90% of the expenses that come along with DJing. I'm only 14 so it's not like I can get a job. I get $10 per week as an allowance.
When I play in clubs like LAX and Jet, It'll be for free! And it will only be in the beginning before all the people are there. Then after like an hour or 2 I gotta get out.

In a few hours when I get my needle, I'll post my juggle. No video cause I got babies who will make too much noise, so I'll be recorded through serato.

Now with these scratches, do you want me to record each individual one and post it as separate tracks or what.......

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not understanding what you're implying by posting this.
CMOS 8:44 PM - 6 July, 2010
Just make a 10-15 min vid and post it, do everything you have been practicing. Dont do individual scratches, just rock out and mix n scratch n juggle.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:46 PM - 6 July, 2010
Quote:

I'm only 14 so it's not like I can get a job.

Quote:

In a few hours when I get my needle, I'll post my juggle. No video cause I got babies who will make too much noise

How do you afford those babys with no job....matter of fact what are you doing with babies at 14!!!
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:48 PM - 6 July, 2010
Quote:

It's eazy. We ain't no rich family. Just get a credit card..... And then don't pay it back.

Now I gotta pay 90% of the expenses that come along with DJing. I'm only 14 so it's not like I can get a job. I get $10 per week as an allowance

If moneys a concern DONT buy cheap ones waiting to get the good ones. Good ones are only $10....dont spend the $10 you have this week, just wait a week and buy normal ones and youll save $10 in the long run.....and at $10 a week how are you affording needles??
CMOS 8:48 PM - 6 July, 2010
He aint say they were his babies, by the sound of disgust when he talks about them im guessin siblings or cousins.
DJ_Phenom 8:56 PM - 6 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

I'm only 14 so it's not like I can get a job.

Quote:

In a few hours when I get my needle, I'll post my juggle. No video cause I got babies who will make too much noise

How do you afford those babys with no job....matter of fact what are you doing with babies at 14!!!

Dammit, I was about to make that joke, lol. Can't sleep on the jokes when bezzles around...
DJ_Phenom 8:57 PM - 6 July, 2010
And he's always around.
Logisticalstyles 8:57 PM - 6 July, 2010
Quote:

I used to do that all the time back in the day. I had some of the dopest 'slipmats' . My Fight The Power ones were my favorite.
DJ Lewshis 9:11 PM - 6 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Now I gotta pay 90% of the expenses that come along with DJing. I'm only 14 so it's not like I can get a job. I get $10 per week as an allowance

If moneys a concern DONT buy cheap ones waiting to get the good ones. Good ones are only $10....dont spend the $10 you have this week, just wait a week and buy normal ones and youll save $10 in the long run.....and at $10 a week how are you affording needles??

I broke them during the end of May....... A replacement stylus costs $29.99 Say about 4 weeks I've gotten money after that..... 4x10=40. I've got $40 to spend. Say about $34 with tax for the needle. that leaves me with $6 to help buy cheap slipmats. But I used your idea for now so I'll save that $6 to buy good ones.

Quote:
He aint say they were his babies, by the sound of disgust when he talks about them im guessin siblings or cousins.

correct. they are my baby brother & sister.
Quote:
Just make a 10-15 min vid and post it, do everything you have been practicing. Dont do individual scratches, just rock out and mix n scratch n juggle.

Alright. Looks like you should hear it by late tonight/tomorrow afternoon.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:16 PM - 6 July, 2010
Quote:
----------------THREAD INTEREST METER----------------
low [----------------|----------------------] high
---------------------------------------------------------------------[
/quote]
Dj Shamann 9:49 PM - 6 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

DJ M.Bezzle Serato forum whore by day, taking Dick by night. lol.
the_black_one 10:12 PM - 6 July, 2010
fudge packer? LOL
ninos 10:28 PM - 6 July, 2010
Quote:
fudge packer? LOL

ahahhahahhaha!!!
O.B.1 11:24 PM - 6 July, 2010
To the OP,
In a year from now you will realize how much you've learned, compared to what you may think you know right now. You'll see how far you've actually come, and how much further you still have to go.

You have the right idea somewhat, but make sure you consider many of the points others have brought up. Most of us on are willing to help (to an extent) but you also have to be willing to help yourself...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:37 PM - 6 July, 2010
This dude sounds convincing. I mean, he multiplied his allowance to show y'all what it means to live on 10 bucks a week...

I cant' wait for the vid....don't just do the audio, leave no room for suspicion.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:38 PM - 6 July, 2010
I'll be mad as hell to find out I got duped by a 14 year old....
O.B.1 11:51 PM - 6 July, 2010
Quote:
I'll be mad as hell to find out I got dumped by a 14 year old....

you set yourself up for that one... :)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:53 PM - 6 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
I'll be mad as hell to find out I got dumped by a 14 year old....

you set yourself up for that one... :)

Yeah, but it was too late to take my "click" back...could have been worse though...lol.
Laz219 12:00 AM - 7 July, 2010
You said earlier you were using FCP to make mixes, so to make a mix video with proper audio just record the file directly from Scratch Live like normal. Record the video and in Final Cut delete the audio track of the video and replace it with the file Scratch Live recorded. Takes a couple of minutes to line up and you've got video with perfect sound.
DJ DennisJ 4:17 AM - 7 July, 2010
Just using the plastic slipmat doesn't work well. I used to use felt/cloth slipmats and then put the plastic slippery piece under it. The problem is that the record won't hold to the mat with just the plastics. The vinyl holds to cloth well, letting your platter spin but your mat and vinyl do not.

Oh and correction-- I used to cut my slippery sheet from wax paper. Worked well but the wax paper dies quickly and wrinkles like crazy.

Wtf needles are you using? I've slammed into my tonearm time and time again and didn't break a needle.
DJ Lewshis 5:47 AM - 7 July, 2010
Quote:
Just using the plastic slipmat doesn't work well. I used to use felt/cloth slipmats and then put the plastic slippery piece under it. The problem is that the record won't hold to the mat with just the plastics. The vinyl holds to cloth well, letting your platter spin but your mat and vinyl do not.

Oh and correction-- I used to cut my slippery sheet from wax paper. Worked well but the wax paper dies quickly and wrinkles like crazy.

Wtf needles are you using? I've slammed into my tonearm time and time again and didn't break a needle.

I noticed that problem. I was using the technics ones that came with the turntable.
They are Shure needles
In detail here's what happened: I hit the tonearm then it bounced, hit the plastic tonearm holder and bounced back, clipped the record, then came to rest on the platter.
Quote:
I'll be mad as hell to find out I got duped by a 14 year old....

Don't worry bro. The 2 things I hate are liars and fake people.
djSMIRK 8:41 AM - 7 July, 2010
4chan anyone?
DJ Lewshis 10:34 AM - 7 July, 2010
It's 3:33 here, so I should be awake by 12-1 Pacific (3-4 Eastern). Don't worry. It'll be up by tomorrow.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:28 AM - 7 July, 2010
Quote:

I've got my money on DJ Lewshis.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:28 AM - 7 July, 2010
Quote:

DJ Lewshis 8:38 PM - 7 July, 2010
My camera died when I was doing it, but I'm posting the juggle to myspace.com/DJLewshis until the camera finishes charging.
Peace.
DJ Lewshis 8:40 PM - 7 July, 2010
I loaded the card to see if it captured it and it got 29 seconds.
If you guys want I could edit it like that and post it for now until my camera finishes charging................... Let me know
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:42 PM - 7 July, 2010
hmmmmmmm
DJ_Phenom 8:44 PM - 7 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Dj-M.Bezzle 8:48 PM - 7 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

........ok only myspace pic is tupac and biggy....17 friends.......1 comment.......myspace created on jan of this year....29 sec vid before cam 'died'.........askin if 29 secs is ok to post

Ill take that bet, money on B.S....table plays
DJ Lewshis 9:25 PM - 7 July, 2010
Congratulations on winning your bet DJ JohnnyM...... M-Bezzle, I'm sorry, but you lost. (:
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:26 PM - 7 July, 2010
is the video up yet??
DJ Lewshis 9:29 PM - 7 July, 2010
Audio is 75%..... I'll do the video when my camera charges :)
DJ Lewshis 9:30 PM - 7 July, 2010
90% uploaded now
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:30 PM - 7 July, 2010
oh ok audio but no video......ya i aint lost yet
the_black_one 9:32 PM - 7 July, 2010
popcorn in the microwave
DJ Lewshis 9:33 PM - 7 July, 2010
here yall go
www.zshare.net
it's too big for myspace
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:33 PM - 7 July, 2010
somethings in the microwave alright...if you can smell what the rock is cookin
the_black_one 9:38 PM - 7 July, 2010
did you say "MYSPACE"
DJ Dac 10:00 PM - 7 July, 2010
youtube? cant download at work
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:13 PM - 7 July, 2010
Quote:

+1...and if theres a video involved make sure to include something that indicates its you in the vid (paper with your name on it or something)
DJ Dac 10:22 PM - 7 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

+1...and if theres a video involved make sure to include something that indicates its you in the vid (paper with your name on it or something)

also hold up todays news paper, then after that i will text you a message that you must show on video... j/k haha
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:23 PM - 7 July, 2010
if you have a birth cirtificate, drivers liscense or permit and a note from your Dr those would all help too
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:23 PM - 7 July, 2010
ill also need you to show in detail at least 2 credit cards...they can be your parents if need be
DJ Dac 10:24 PM - 7 July, 2010
make sure you get both sides of the cc's need that pesky three digit number on the back to verify...
SuckaDJ 10:29 PM - 7 July, 2010
So what's up with Lewshis, fraud?

Bump it or Dump it?

Leanin' towards dumping it lol
DJ Dac 10:34 PM - 7 July, 2010
well since he has to make a new video with the credit cards, i will give him a few more min...
Maskrider 10:43 PM - 7 July, 2010
Is this Pauly D? This thread makes me laugh.
DJ Dac 10:45 PM - 7 July, 2010
finally....
Watchwww.youtube.com
Thundercat 10:51 PM - 7 July, 2010
Quote:
I was using the technics ones that came with the turntable.

So you don't need new slip mats, you just need slip mats. What comes with the 1200 is not a slipmat.

You also need a proper mentor. Somebody help this kid pls...
SuckaDJ 10:52 PM - 7 July, 2010
Haha
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:04 PM - 7 July, 2010
Quote:
Congratulations on winning your bet DJ JohnnyM...... M-Bezzle, I'm sorry, but you lost. (:

Make me proud...Post that vid.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:32 PM - 7 July, 2010
Ok, let's be clear.

You suck, BUT you're about right where you should be skillwise for 2 months. :-)

Keep practicing, and you'll get it.

At least you're not a liar...lol.
Awesome steve 1:01 AM - 8 July, 2010
Lol @ needing new slipmats because rubber ones suck.
Logisticalstyles 1:41 AM - 8 July, 2010
I didn't see the video, I just listened to the audio and I agree with DJJOHNNYM

You suck, BUT you're about right where you should be skillwise for 2 months.

Just don't do any of that shit in the clubs.
DJ_Phenom 1:53 AM - 8 July, 2010
Quote:
Ok, let's be clear.

You suck, BUT you're about right where you should be skillwise for 2 months. :-)

Downloading now, since theres no video, if it sucks I'll be happy. Not because you suck, but because you're being upfront and truthful. That means alot in this business, at least to other DJs lol. Especially as a new guy askin for advice, but like many young new DJs including ones i've tried to help get started you may be getting ahead of yourself inside your own head. (NM)
DJ_Phenom 2:21 AM - 8 July, 2010
I'm gonna hold off til I see the video, but to me those scratches regardless of whether they were good or not good sounded digital to the point of being in internal mode
Laz219 2:25 AM - 8 July, 2010
Download keeps stalling, you should've converted to MP3. 81mb for 29 seconds is a bit much.
DJ DennisJ 2:26 AM - 8 July, 2010
The only scratches I heard were babies
formulated 4:08 AM - 8 July, 2010
30 seconds? it's 4:57.. and not the best example, it's jugggling which is meant to be a performance so lacking video really hurts it.
Laz219 4:11 AM - 8 July, 2010
My mistake, thought it was the same file he'd posted to youtube. I never got the file Zshare keeps freezing mid download.
DJ Lewshis 5:23 AM - 8 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Ok, let's be clear.

Downloading now, since theres no video, if it sucks I'll be happy. Not because you suck, but because you're being upfront and truthful. That means alot in this business, at least to other DJs lol. Especially as a new guy askin for advice, but like many young new DJs including ones i've tried to help get started you may be getting ahead of yourself inside your own head. (NM)

Honesty is hard to find now. Cause over the internet people got balls the size of bowling balls. I was raised to be honest and I'm sticking that way.

I'm gunna shower then record the video, put the sound with it and post it on youtube. Sit tight.

And the reason I'm wondering how to get faster is because I got ideas but I'm already doing something right before the point and I am not fast enough to do both. If that makes any sense. Sorry not the best at explaining.

Quote:
The only scratches I heard were babies

Yes. I screwed up my scribble in the beginning so it too sounded like a baby.
I can do the other scratches on a sample right now, but I haven't figured out how to incorporate them into a song yet.
Also, I'm trying not to watch videos that teach you scratches cause I wanna learn by myself. I just read what you do for it and try to perfect it. The only time I do look at videos is after I'm done learning it just to make sure I've got the sound right.
DJ Lewshis 5:38 AM - 8 July, 2010
Quote:

It has wax paper type thing over the rubber spot.... then a cloth like thing they call a slipmat.

Quote:
I'm gonna hold off til I see the video, but to me those scratches regardless of whether they were good or not good sounded digital to the point of being in internal mode

How do I fix that then? Cause uhhhh I do all the scratching. Right now I practice in REL until I get better. Then I'll move to ABS. I sometimes practice scratching with vinyl too.
DJ_Phenom 5:57 AM - 8 July, 2010
Quote:

How do I fix that then? Cause uhhhh I do all the scratching. Right now I practice in REL until I get better. Then I'll move to ABS. I sometimes practice scratching with vinyl too.

Possibly adjust your USB Buffer in the settings(As far left as your computer can handle is better) and check your signal and calibrate the tracking.
O.B.1 6:04 AM - 8 July, 2010
honestly, it wouldn't hurt you to watch a couple of scratching tutorials first, so you have an idea of how the scratch is supposed to sound along with the beat.

(it's really all about how you execute certain combinations with a rhythmical context, with less focus on the individual scratches themselves, and more focus on how they all fit together over the beat...)

juggles, however you're on your own...
DJ Lewshis 6:18 AM - 8 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Possibly adjust your USB Buffer in the settings(As far left as your computer can handle is better) and check your signal and calibrate the tracking.

That's probably the problem. Mine is all the way to the right cause my computer is a PC and it lags even with it all the way to the right. I'm probably getting a Mac in August for my birthday though.

Quote:
honestly, it wouldn't hurt you to watch a couple of scratching tutorials first, so you have an idea of how the scratch is supposed to sound along with the beat.

(it's really all about how you execute certain combinations with a rhythmical context, with less focus on the individual scratches themselves, and more focus on how they all fit together over the beat...)

juggles, however you're on your own...

I really don't want to for this reason:
In another post I stated I was not going to watch any tutorials. I am a man of my word.
Dj Shamann 6:40 AM - 8 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

It has wax paper type thing over the rubber spot.... then a cloth like thing they call a slipmat.

Dude....you're not supposed to have the rubber on there at all.
the_black_one 6:41 AM - 8 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

i always have the rubber on, you have no idea where its been!!!! LOL
DJ Lewshis 6:43 AM - 8 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

O dang.... I guess that's what I get for reading the instruction manual
Dj Shamann 6:44 AM - 8 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

HAHAHAHA true dat.
DJ Lewshis 6:46 AM - 8 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

HAHAHAHA true dat.

+1 hahahah!
beatdown 6:55 AM - 8 July, 2010
Dude you sound like you want to be DJ AM reincarnated tomorrow. Start humble - good beginning by posting for honest feedback here, but don't look down on scratch tutorial videos and gigs that are somewhat less prestigious than major clubs in LA. I mean, sounds like you are having issues setting up your equipment properly and all, and if you are serious about becoming a top DJ you shouldn't waste your own time figuring everything out on your own when good resources exist for accelerating your progression. Keep practicing, recording mixes, taking every paying gig that is offered you, and your ambition should do you well. It's not a sprint; its a marathon.
WarpNote 7:04 AM - 8 July, 2010
Need more popcorn...
the_black_one 7:05 AM - 8 July, 2010
Quote:
Need more rubbers...

fixed
DJ DennisJ 7:11 AM - 8 July, 2010
Seriously, I started in 87, and the lack of video tutorials made learning scratching difficult. Take advantage of the resources you have available, especially if you're determined to have this accelerated success path you've envisioned for yourself.

Also, your timing, quite frankly, sucks. It is one thing to know the basics of scratching and juggling, but timing is HUGE in the DJ world. Think of it like this... with those juggles, you need to keep the 4/4 beat structure. To give you an idea of how bad your timing is, play your juggling routine that you posted, and try to dance to it. Or, have someone that is a really good dancer try to dance to it. When you can juggle and keep a beat going that a dancer won't misstep to, you'll be a real juggler.

But with what I've heard so far, I think you should just concentrate on beat matching and mixing transitions. Learn to walk before you run. You can be a really good DJ and rock a crowd with skilled beatmatching, song selection, and transitions, even if your juggling and scratching sucks. You cannot be a really good DJ and rock a crowd if all you can do is juggle and scratch, but your beat matching and transitions suck.
DJ Lewshis 7:31 AM - 8 July, 2010
Quote:
Dude you sound like you want to be DJ AM reincarnated tomorrow.

Funny thing about that...... I actually talk to DJ AM's sister....... and she said that I sound exactly how AM did when he was starting..........

Quote:
Also, your timing, quite frankly, sucks. It is one thing to know the basics of scratching and juggling, but timing is HUGE in the DJ world. Think of it like this... with those juggles, you need to keep the 4/4 beat structure. To give you an idea of how bad your timing is, play your juggling routine that you posted, and try to dance to it.

I'll use that advice. I knew about timing with transitions, but I totally forgot about it in juggles. I've been learning a little with scratches. I got some ideas to fix it though.
I'll change it up tomorrow and make it more club friendly. The juggle I showed was more for listening than for a club though.

I guess I'll watch that "How To DJ Part 1&2 by Jam Master Jay" DVD that I never opened tomorrow.
DJ DennisJ 7:34 AM - 8 July, 2010
OMG that DVD is horrible! LOL

I rented it from Netflix years ago... if it's the one I watched... it's horrible.
the_black_one 7:35 AM - 8 July, 2010
dude....... just follow the beat in your head any everything you do follows that beat in your head......it's one of those things, You aether have it or you don't
DJ Lewshis 7:39 AM - 8 July, 2010
Quote:
OMG that DVD is horrible! LOL

I rented it from Netflix years ago... if it's the one I watched... it's horrible.

I guess I won't open it then :)

Quote:
dude....... just follow the beat in your head any everything you do follows that beat in your head......it's one of those things, You aether have it or you don't

I do that in other songs..... I just never thought of doing it in a juggle.
djSMIRK 8:56 AM - 8 July, 2010
i love the references to things that do not matter...

"i actually talk to DJ AM's sister..." -> cool story bro

"my dad has connections at JET...." -> thats nice, and?
Bazildon 9:06 AM - 8 July, 2010
Quote:
.....I am a man of my word.

Didn't you say you were 14? Surely your not quite a man yet, even if you've dipped your wick you still aint really a man...male possibly, but not a man.
DJ Lewshis 9:13 AM - 8 July, 2010
Quote:
i love the references to things that do not matter...

"i actually talk to DJ AM's sister..." -> cool story bro

"my dad has connections at JET...." -> thats nice, and?

Ok. Go back and read the one about AM and take out the part about his sister. And it doesn't make sense. So that is why it is in there.

Now if I didn't add the thing about having connections you guys would be::: like what???? Your 14 expecting to play in a nightclub?

Now you see, everything I say has a purpose.
DJ Lewshis 9:21 AM - 8 July, 2010
Watchwww.youtube.com

There's the video. Goodnight.
Bazildon 9:29 AM - 8 July, 2010
Blimey, props for actually doing a video.

For only a couple of months thats pretty good. Although your juggling is truly dreadful, but then so is everyone else's when they start out.

I reckon if you keep at it you might get it...one day. Practice practice and practice...then practice some more.
DJ_SCOOBY 9:38 AM - 8 July, 2010
Lewshis,

In your video your looking at the screen WAY too much. Mark your records using colored stickers. This varies from dj to dj but i mark mine were the control signal starts playing the mp3 at the 00.00 mark. if you mark your records and stop looking at the screen so much you can juggle alot faster and more accurately. If you pay attention to the source(vinyl) instead of the emulated(Scratch Live) you can find your position in the song faster
WarpNote 9:53 AM - 8 July, 2010
Quote:
Lewshis,

In your video your looking at the screen WAY too much. Mark your records using colored stickers. This varies from dj to dj but i mark mine were the control signal starts playing the mp3 at the 00.00 mark. if you mark your records and stop looking at the screen so much you can juggle alot faster and more accurately. If you pay attention to the source(vinyl) instead of the emulated(Scratch Live) you can find your position in the song faster

+1
When staring at the screen you'll be distracted from listening to the mix. Put on stickers on your vinyl, switch to ABS, and put something in front of your screen. Then rehearse. You won't regret it...
cnewton 11:14 AM - 8 July, 2010
loosen those shoulders a bit, bend those knees, and enjoy the music a bit more... ur too stiff, and as this is good because your only practicing... its also good to "feel" the music.

and you do look like your being hypnotized by seratos beautiful GUI so id definitely take the advice about looking at the screen less...

now i dont scratch, juggle, unicycle, chirp, tweet... but i do know what sounds good...and so far you dont.. but ur definitely on ur way to doing Dj AMs sister. so keep practicing but have fun too!
djbanno 11:33 AM - 8 July, 2010
Quote:
now i dont scratch, juggle, unicycle, chirp, tweet... but i do know what sounds good...and so far you dont.. but ur definitely on ur way to doing Dj AMs sister. so keep practicing but have fun too!

HAHAHAHA!!!!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:05 PM - 8 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
.....I am a man of my word.

Didn't you say you were 14? Surely your not quite a man yet, even if you've dipped your wick you still aint really a man...male possibly, but not a man.

That's kind of low to say to a 14 year old, and I'm kinda suspect of the age, simply because this dude types WAYYYYYYY BETTER than some GROWN azz folk on here who can't distinguish when to use "their, there, or they're"...

If he's truly 14, this kid is a protege just off of his ability to communicate and SELL himself.

You know I'm hard to get props from, and there's something about this guy that is...I can't quite put my finger on it....but it's "different" (NO HOMO/PEDO).
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:06 PM - 8 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I thought about that for a brief moment, and was like "Nah, I KNOW when he said rubber slipmats, he didn't mean the RUBBER MAT".....

That's a clear n00b job right there!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:10 PM - 8 July, 2010
Dude, forget all that ANYbody said here.

Go out, FIND 2 of the same song ON WAX somewhere, put some stickers on them, and go.

Ok, fine, if you can't find 2 songs on WAX, pick a song, like Peter Piper, and just practice ALL your Trick Mixing on that 1 SONG forever.....

However, use OTHER SONGS to learn how to beatmatch....

But get the one routine down, then move to the next.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:11 PM - 8 July, 2010
And don't just "learn" the cuts, you have to MASTER them. So, learn AND MASTER Baby Scratches, then move onto chirps, MASTER that, go back and see if you remember the baby Scratches, then move on to the next....like backspinning, etc..etc..

It's a building process, but you have to MASTER each level before moving onto the next.

You haven't mastered any of those cuts from what I've heard...
DJ Bill Blast 1:09 PM - 8 July, 2010
Quote:
Go out, FIND 2 of the same song ON WAX somewhere, put some stickers on them, and go.

^^No doubt great advice! Mark them up & go nuts!

Looking at the waves on your laptop is not the way to learn juggling.

Credit for posting the video.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:26 PM - 8 July, 2010
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com Watchwww.youtube.com

what video is everyone watching.....the only vid posted in this thread was not posted by him it was posted by DAC...and after that was posted the kid posted this

Quote:

I'm gunna shower then record the video, put the sound with it and post it on youtube. Sit tight.

which means that video WASNT him

Quote:

That's kind of low to say to a 14 year old, and I'm kinda suspect of the age, simply because this dude types WAYYYYYYY BETTER than some GROWN azz folk on here who can't distinguish when to use "their, there, or they're"...

very true, hes well spoken, hes suspect
ral 2:08 PM - 8 July, 2010
practice ... practice ... practice

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Lewshis 7:43 PM - 8 July, 2010
Thank you for the advice everyone! I'm going vinyl shopping this weekend to look for the 2 Peter Piper records like you said. My screen looking is really a bad habit.

Quote:
simply because this dude types WAYYYYYYY BETTER than some GROWN azz folk on here who can't distinguish when to use "their, there, or they're"...

If he's truly 14, this kid is a protege just off of his ability to communicate and SELL himself.

You know I'm hard to get props from, and there's something about this guy that is...I can't quite put my finger on it....but it's "different" (NO HOMO/PEDO).

Thank you, thank you! I really appreciate that.
DJ Lewshis 7:46 PM - 8 July, 2010
Quote:
practice ... practice ... practice

Watchwww.youtube.com

O man..... wow. Jazzy Jeff is the man when dealing with juggles.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:49 PM - 8 July, 2010
soooo he STILL hasnt posted a vid huh...wow that camera takes forever to charge dosent it
DJ DennisJ 7:55 PM - 8 July, 2010
Good luck finding one, let alone two copies of Peter Piper on vinyl! Set your sights a bit lower... two copies of anything will work, preferably hip hop.
DJ Lewshis 8:00 PM - 8 July, 2010
Quote:
Good luck finding one, let alone two copies of Peter Piper on vinyl! Set your sights a bit lower... two copies of anything will work, preferably hip hop.

ok. Are there any songs that are better for juggling than others? Or am I just going to have to find that out by trial and error?
SuckaDJ 8:00 PM - 8 July, 2010
bezzle, he did post one (not sure if you're being sarcastic or not haha)
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:07 PM - 8 July, 2010
Quote:

no he didnt someone else posted one he never posted, and i know it wasnt him because after that vid was posted he made a comment about the camera being almost ready to record
DJ_SCOOBY 8:10 PM - 8 July, 2010
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com

this is the video bezzle, he did post it. the link your talking about is an aiff file he recorded before doing an actual vide
DJ_SCOOBY 8:10 PM - 8 July, 2010
video*
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:13 PM - 8 July, 2010
oh ok i missed that i was talkin bout the other one
DJ Lewshis 8:15 PM - 8 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com

this is the video bezzle, he did post it. the link your talking about is an aiff file he recorded before doing an actual video

correct. Thank you.
O.B.1 9:34 PM - 8 July, 2010
Quote:
Are there any songs that are better for juggling than others? Or am I just going to have to find that out by trial and error?

Any song with a 4/4 time signature would be best. Start with a slower BPM, and gradually increase speed. It helps to remember the clock position of the kick and snare
by marking your records with a little sticker. Trial and error comes when you start experimenting with variations on the beat...
DJ DennisJ 10:03 PM - 8 July, 2010
Yep, 4/4 signature, and probably very little going on beside percussion and lyrics would help.
Wazo 10:52 PM - 8 July, 2010
but to answer your question, yes you are learning too slow. speed up.
Steve Dub. 11:05 PM - 8 July, 2010
Quote:
but to answer your question, yes you are learning too slow. speed up.

lol!!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:26 PM - 8 July, 2010
Quote:

Y'all know this dude was pressed at 45 RPM, but he keeps playin' himself at 33 1/3.

Slowwwwwwwwwww.......
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:27 PM - 8 July, 2010
I told y'all I had my money on dude....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:30 PM - 8 July, 2010
Quote:

Rock and Soul could ship it to him.

www.rockandsoul.com

Hell, I'll go there, pick them up, and ship them to him.

They keep GLOBS of repressess and as a matter of fact, since Serato took center stage, they have recently had an influx of CRATES of Original (and reissues), come in.

That reminds me, I'm gonna have to take a trip back there this weekend...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:40 PM - 8 July, 2010
As a matter of fact, jump on it...

www.rockandsoul.com
DJ DennisJ 12:50 AM - 9 July, 2010
I stand corrected! Thanks for the heads-up!
DJ Lewshis 1:27 AM - 9 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Rock and Soul could ship it to him.

www.rockandsoul.com

Hell, I'll go there, pick them up, and ship them to him.

They keep GLOBS of repressess and as a matter of fact, since Serato took center stage, they have recently had an influx of CRATES of Original (and reissues), come in.

That reminds me, I'm gonna have to take a trip back there this weekend...

Wow. Thank you! I'm going to try to order them ASAP.
Off to go bug my mom :)
DJ Lewshis 1:33 AM - 9 July, 2010
Every month or so can I post a mix for you guys to rate and see how I improve?
Awesome steve 1:46 AM - 9 July, 2010
I'm thinking every week or so.

Seriously, I'd like to watch as you improve.
the_black_one 1:51 AM - 9 July, 2010
Quote:

imma leave this one alone...... you get the idea!!!!
Awesome steve 2:12 AM - 9 July, 2010
No homo?
the_black_one 2:15 AM - 9 July, 2010
lol
ninos 2:15 AM - 9 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

imma leave this one alone...... you get the idea!!!!

haha
djchope 3:30 AM - 9 July, 2010
is it me or does it feel like everyone is sucking each others d*** in this thread
(no homo)
(clicking stop tracking this discussion)
the_black_one 4:00 AM - 9 July, 2010
<-----only gets dick sucked by woman!
DJ Lewshis 6:18 AM - 9 July, 2010
I got an idea. To practice transitions, should I take 2 of the same instrumentals, match them up at different points, then transition?
DJ Lewshis 6:19 AM - 9 July, 2010
Quote:

ok. The reason I said every month is because it would be more of a dramatic improvement than every week.
WarpNote 6:41 AM - 9 July, 2010
Quote:
I got an idea. To practice transitions, should I take 2 of the same instrumentals, match them up at different points, then transition?

You need to get the feel for tempo and timing when doing transitions.
While using the same track would be fun for a beginner, It would be kind of pointless as they would have the same tempo, and no need to ride the pitch. Riding the pitch is what you need to learn, be able to lock in a beat by ear. (to loose that hypnotized-by-laptop look)

Once you learn to match tempo's, then work on timing, ie: where to do the transistion.
When I was learning beatmatching myself, I would start out using electronic music in the 125-130 bpm area, something with a clear beat. I found it easier to lock a beat like that compared to a slower hip-hop beat. Once you've mastered those move on to the slower stuff..
Laz219 6:56 AM - 9 July, 2010
+1 on using EDM to learn to beatmix with, it's a lot easier to get down on that then move onto the slower RnB/hip hop stuff.
DJ Lewshis 7:32 AM - 9 July, 2010
Quote:
(to loose that hypnotized-by-laptop look)

hehe :)

Quote:
Once you learn to match tempo's, then work on timing, ie: where to do the transistion.
When I was learning beatmatching myself, I would start out using electronic music in the 125-130 bpm area, something with a clear beat. I found it easier to lock a beat like that compared to a slower hip-hop beat. Once you've mastered those move on to the slower stuff..

Thank you. I'll start that.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:25 AM - 9 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

ok. The reason I said every month is because it would be more of a dramatic improvement than every week.

As long as you MASTER each phase of cutting. Don't have me tuning in to watch/hear some ol' BS.
SuckaDJ 5:49 PM - 9 July, 2010
^ haha some bs
DJ Dac 6:08 PM - 12 July, 2010
Lewshis, head over to dj city and grab a few of the 99 cent clearance records, make sure you order two each of a few songs and grab a few songs that are different tempos, you will want to learn like warpnote said, put away the serato for a little bit and just practice with those for a while, you will be glad that you tore up some cheap ass vinyl instead of your CV's. it doesn't matter if you like the song or not, but make sure it has the acappellas, instrumental and the main track. and for marking the records i tend to use a silver sharpie to mark my starting places on the vinyls i don't really care about, stickers for the rest, thats how i learned... as for the instructional videos i still watch them every now and then to see if i could be doing what i do better, never stop learning my friend...
bill-e 7:46 PM - 12 July, 2010
waiting for the epic adolescent battle...ninos vs lucious!
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:47 PM - 12 July, 2010
Quote:

+1
DJ Lewshis 8:55 PM - 12 July, 2010
Quote:
Lewshis, head over to dj city and grab a few of the 99 cent clearance records, make sure you order two each of a few songs and grab a few songs that are different tempos, you will want to learn like warpnote said, put away the serato for a little bit and just practice with those for a while, you will be glad that you tore up some cheap ass vinyl instead of your CV's. it doesn't matter if you like the song or not, but make sure it has the acappellas, instrumental and the main track. and for marking the records i tend to use a silver sharpie to mark my starting places on the vinyls i don't really care about, stickers for the rest, thats how i learned... as for the instructional videos i still watch them every now and then to see if i could be doing what i do better, never stop learning my friend...

I'm gunna do that after I get my $10 this week :)
I hate to say it, but you guys got me to watch some instructional videos... Ellaskins is the only dude I'll watch though. Right now.

Quote:
Quote:

+1

hehe gimme time :)
Wazo 10:32 PM - 12 July, 2010
Quote:
is it me or does it feel like everyone is sucking each others d*** in this thread
(no homo)
(clicking stop tracking this discussion)

whack
DJ DennisJ 11:08 PM - 12 July, 2010
Quote:
I hate to say it, but you guys got me to watch some instructional videos... Ellaskins is the only dude I'll watch though. Right now.

DJ D'Angelo FTW
Laz219 11:20 PM - 12 July, 2010
I don't understand why you are treating instructional videos like a dirty thing, what's the point in ignoring a very useful tool that's available?
ninos 12:23 AM - 13 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

+1

im down for a battle. honestly. ill post a vid and everything..
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:35 AM - 13 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

+1

im down for a battle. honestly. ill post a vid and everything..

money on NINOS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Laz219 12:38 AM - 13 July, 2010
This should be a good way to fill in my days off work.

Taking all bets!
ninos 12:39 AM - 13 July, 2010
lewish you down?
DJ Lewshis 12:44 AM - 13 July, 2010
Quote:
lewish you down?

When I learn transitions I'm in. I'll get raped 2x over right now :)
djchope 12:45 AM - 13 July, 2010
*tracking
ninos 12:46 AM - 13 July, 2010
haha alright. let me know when your done so i can get a quick vid done :)
DJ Lewshis 12:48 AM - 13 July, 2010
Quote:
haha alright. let me know when your done so i can get a quick vid done :)

Alright. No problem :)
DJ_SCOOBY 1:07 AM - 13 July, 2010
Damn wish i could have done it. i just turned 18 tho so i dont count no more hahah
SuckaDJ 1:08 AM - 13 July, 2010
you know both of them are planning a set as we speak... hahaha

Don't lie.

Got money on Lewshis.
ninos 1:14 AM - 13 July, 2010
Quote:
you know both of them are planning a set as we speak... hahaha

Don't lie.

Got money on Lewshis.

ahahah!!
ninos 1:14 AM - 13 July, 2010
not gunna lie i was practicing my beat juggles hahaha
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:43 AM - 13 July, 2010
Aww man, I rolled with ninos on the come up, but Lewshis stood behind his word and put a vid up.

Should be a great match!
ninos 2:29 AM - 13 July, 2010
yep it should!!

hey mods, how about winner gets some white vinyl?
Awesome steve 3:20 AM - 13 July, 2010
^^^ winner should get white vinyl.

What a great way for a dj to get white vinyl... What a great story that would be!
DJ Lewshis 3:34 AM - 13 July, 2010
Quote:
^^^ winner should get white vinyl.

What a great way for a dj to get white vinyl... What a great story that would be!

Dude I'll become a hermit so I could practice non stop for 12-14 hours if that happens :) jk.
bill-e 9:09 AM - 13 July, 2010
*ding ding ding*

shit just got real
djhuffjr 9:52 AM - 13 July, 2010
practice kid thing about Scratching and cutting is u have to come up with ur own style it takes parctice lots of it at 14 if u tricking just baby scratch to the groove sweet
but come up with your own flow
The Return of Dj Sparky 10:40 AM - 13 July, 2010
ha ha all that gear and can't afford vinyl
DJ Lewshis 7:04 AM - 20 July, 2010
I'm starting to get the hang of transitions. I'm starting to feel the songs more and it seems like stuff just jumps out at me.
DJ Lewshis 7:05 AM - 20 July, 2010
I think that I'll have transitions down soon
Manny Rize 9:25 AM - 20 July, 2010
honestly the best way i ever learned(still do)was by listening to other djs mixtapes then listening to the tracks they used.