DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

RANE TTM56s - questions

ivan zilch 5:56 PM - 1 July, 2010
hi there guys
i just bought a rane ttm56s today - awesome mixer, awesome faders

theres one thing tho - the mini cue faders
when theres nothing playing on channel 1, and the mini cue fader is in the absolute left position, i can still hear (very very faintly) a little bit of the channel 2
tried the same thing with the opposite channel (turn off channel 2, play something in channel 1, position the cue-fader on the absolute right position) and i can faintly hear channel 1 on the headphones

is this normal??

is this going to progressively increase - as in bleed more - over the years? i thought there are no parts about this mixer that's ever gonna need replacing - if this stays constant than im okay with it - but if it goes worse (as if the volume of the second channel gets bigger and bigger even tho its not cued in) - im worried if its gonna happen

im hoping i could get a straight answer from one of the rane people here?

any input from people who owned the ttm56s for a long time? is this a normal thing?
lumas13 7:52 PM - 1 July, 2010
Had mines about 5 years and no issues, and I use it a lot.
ivan zilch 8:35 PM - 1 July, 2010
so no issues with the mini-fader cue? does it do it too tho? (putting the mini cue fader all the way to the left and being able to hear a little bit of channel two's sound?)
djchase 12:11 AM - 2 July, 2010
hey ivan i heard the same thing on my mixer also im not sure if its a malfunction
JayB1200 12:50 AM - 2 July, 2010
I have the old 56, and its done that since ive had it (3 years) and hasnt gotten any worse.
ivan zilch 5:25 AM - 2 July, 2010
ah i see - so it is a common thing?

as long as it doesnt get any worse (stays like this) and i cant hear on the master output then im pretty okay with it

i guess i was just being too picky

another OCD thing that i picked up is - the EQ OUT switch - when a music is playing and i flick it - i can hear a CLICK over the master output (both channel one and two)
im guessing this one is also normal?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:53 PM - 2 July, 2010
I will check when I get home......
a DJ 7:38 AM - 3 July, 2010
Yeah I get that click too, highly annoying and completely prevents me from using it ever.. And I have that bleed too.
ivan zilch 9:09 AM - 3 July, 2010
so it is normal among all ttm56s?

dammit- if it wasnt for that click that eq switch is highly usable

the bleed : as long as it doesnt bleed into the master out and the amount of bleed doesnt increase im okay with it - wish it didnt have to be like this tho - i emailed rane and they simply said "yes its normal for it to be like that"

ah well
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:28 PM - 3 July, 2010
I'm mad mine has that bleed too.

Now, I didn't notice the EQ click, because I'm really not a "Twister", but I could see how that "click" could be a pain.

One thing I DID notice, was that if you're playing a song, and turn "On" the Flex EFX", the signal will go slightly louder, even though you have nothing in the loop.
Dj Shamann 2:25 AM - 4 July, 2010
I never had either, I'm pretty sure about the EQ too because I sold the mixer to my bro, I was at his house drunk ta couple of dys ago spinning chunes and got about 20 minutes in before I realized the EQ was off. I switched and didn't hear any click.
a DJ 7:25 AM - 4 July, 2010
Yall trippin it's a click. You need to turn it up loud enough to hear it, otherwise you just think it's the knob clicking. But if you got it up loud enough or if you're used to it you hear it.

And yeah the Flex FX does that, thats cool tho
ivan zilch 8:26 AM - 4 July, 2010
yup the click is definitely there - especially if you use the headphones - just flick the eq switch on and off a few times and you'll hear it - very faint but noticable click - imagine in a very large sound system - it would sound like the audio is skipping

definitely stopped people from using the switch as a kill switch - even though its stated in the manual that its supposed to be one

any chance that it could get fixed by rane?
bill-e 8:47 AM - 4 July, 2010
yes on the fader bleedage

dang it on the eq switch
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:41 PM - 4 July, 2010
Quote:

And yeah the Flex FX does that, thats cool tho

That is NOT cool. Why should the signal GET LOUDER, when rerouting it through the loop, and there's NO device attached?
a DJ 4:57 PM - 4 July, 2010
lol well the 56 obviously has a lot of imperfections, i got over them fast. if you had a 57 you would be complaining about random technology problems which probably cause more stress.
lumas13 7:01 PM - 4 July, 2010
Well, the only reason I got it was for the sewing machine/coke test, funny thing I never have coke that close to the mixer and if I rip my clothes, my sister will sew it back if need be.
ivan zilch 8:07 PM - 4 July, 2010
well to be honest - even with all the imperfections, im pretty happy with my rane TTM56s - in the beginning i had a choice of Ecler HAK360 - (really hated their line fader curves thats why i didnt get em) or rane ttm56s - or put a bit (A LOT) of extra money into a DJM909 , or djm700 (shitty fader and no option of innofader yet) , or get astanton m.207 (the thought of buying a stanton scares the shit out of me - so i didnt get it)

previously i used the pioneer 400 set (2xCDJ400 and a djm400) - sold them and bought a pair of cdj900s - i wanted a new mixer to go with my 900s

after a long research and playing around with all those mixers above, i decided on the Rane TTM56s - still not regretting my choice but i just wish someone did an in-depth review (like a skratchworx review - they did one on the 56 but not the 56s) and point these things out (eq click, cue bleed) and maybe, just maybe, i might have decided on something else
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:19 PM - 4 July, 2010
I don't think you would have gotten a better mixer than the 56s for the dollar, even with some of the issues. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that fader bleed is ONLY in the headphones, no? I could see if it carried over to the master.

The EQ and FX issues? Hey, I'm not a knob twister, so it's no biggie for me, and I don't use effects, so... I'm skrait.

I'll tell you ONE thing though. I decided against the 57 because I've heard too many people complain about some "button" issues, and that's just TOO much money to have invested in a mixer with a known issue like that.

On top of that, I can't roll with "all in one" solutions, i.e. if the 57 went down, Serato is down too....

No haps, I need choices.
ivan zilch 5:19 PM - 5 July, 2010
yup, as i said as long as the bleed is not audible in the master output then im perfectly fine with it - even with all the flows im pretty happy with this mixer (except with the super sharp edges - godammit why do they hav to make the edges so sharp? my tshirt was stuck on the sharp edges just today and it scratched my arms quite a few times)

the 57 apparently has the sl1 soundcard instead of sl3 - which means the sound is not as good as the sl3

plus there seems to be a lot of issues with the 57 (software based problems) from what i read in the forums?
Dj Ace 6:58 PM - 5 July, 2010
internally the 57 is a step up from the sl1...it is actually 24 bit internal and outputs at 16 bits. the only REAL difference is it uses a USB 1.1 and because of this can only handle 2 streams of music simutaneously (2 decks) and the SL3 being 2.0 can handle up to three
Andrei Matei 3:19 PM - 2 April, 2013
Just to confirm as well, my TTM56s had the mini cue fader bleed since the day it was brand new and its still there. Not any worse. Shouldn't worry you any.
Jungle Jim 9:17 PM - 19 January, 2019
Im raising this thread straight from the dead. I hope people are still on this board and might see this. This is the only resource I was able to find. My ttm 56 has really bad fader bleed. If I wiggle it up and down it will kinda work but not really. Basically both sides in cue mode are staticy and dont fade right. Anyway wondering if anyone has fixed this or replaced it. Im tempted to go in and try to clean it, is this recommended?
Captcatfist 6:59 AM - 5 February, 2019
Jungle Jim I’ve only noticed today that I’ve got bleed from channel 2 into channel 1’s cue output. Which is annoying when mixing. I’ve pulled off the faceplate an used compressed air and qtips to clean the cue fader. It helped but didn’t eliminate the bleed. I might get a electronics repairman to have a look. Fingers crossed. If u find a fix please post a reply. Thanks
Jungle Jim 8:40 PM - 5 February, 2019
Quote:
Jungle Jim I’ve only noticed today that I’ve got bleed from channel 2 into channel 1’s cue output. Which is annoying when mixing. I’ve pulled off the faceplate an used compressed air and qtips to clean the cue fader. It helped but didn’t eliminate the bleed. I might get a electronics repairman to have a look. Fingers crossed. If u find a fix please post a reply. Thanks

Ok will do. Just to note, I actually have the regular 56, not the 56s. But if I find a fix ill try to remember to update here. Thanks