DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

WD 1 TB external hard drive Lag problem

ernie 2:24 PM - 30 June, 2010
i just got new WD 1 tb external usb powered HD its in NTFS format so what i do is reformatted it to ms-dos FAT 32 im using macbook.. the problem is everytime i load tracks i got 2 or 3 seocods delay on loading tracks and 3 seconds freeze.. is this normal on bigger hard drive? i need help thanks!
victor_M 4:35 PM - 30 June, 2010
Have you built overviews on your tracks.

Did you set the WD not to go to sleep?
ernie 9:29 PM - 30 June, 2010
Yap I buildoverviews how can I set my HD not to sleep thanks
Dj BuddyLove 6:25 AM - 1 July, 2010
Quote:
Yap I buildoverviews how can I set my HD not to sleep thanks

nosleephd.codeplex.com
victor_M 11:58 AM - 1 July, 2010
If you also look in the wd software you can install it and go into preferences. Once of the option is to put the hard drive to sleep. Make sure it's set to never.
ernie 1:26 PM - 1 July, 2010
ok thanks i will try that
ernie 4:27 PM - 3 July, 2010
im still having 2 sometimes 5 second delay loading tracks. yesterday i bought 1 tb wd essential se portable mac only(mac extended journaled format) thingking that i will no longer having delay loading tracks but still im having issue.. with my 500 gig WD portable HD i dont have this problem. is this normal when using bigger HD 1 TB?
rob_007 4:39 PM - 9 July, 2010
i'm having the same issue, just bought a new 1 TB hard drive from costco, transferred all my tracks from to the drive, analayzed and built overviews and now when i load tracks the whole serato freezes for a couple of seconds but the music stil plays in the background....help pliz!
djdalite 5:20 PM - 9 July, 2010
im pretty sure you want to be in NFTS format

how many songs are on your WD?
rob_007 5:37 PM - 9 July, 2010
like 8000
rob_007 5:38 PM - 9 July, 2010
what is NFTS format and how you do that? (thanks in advance)
djdalite 9:02 PM - 9 July, 2010
Quote:

well here: en.wikipedia.org

unfortunately you would have to backup your files to another drive, then format the drive in NTFS

to do this (on pc) go to the drive located in My computer, right click - format, then select NTFS

with NTFS you'll be compatible with both pc and mac

with 8000 songs you shouldnt be having any lag

what are you comp. specs?
MSF 9:35 PM - 9 July, 2010
Other opinions here:

scratchlive.net
DJ Super Mario 10:45 PM - 9 July, 2010
Quote:

with NTFS you'll be compatible with both pc and mac

Actually that would be with FAT32
ernie 11:39 PM - 9 July, 2010
Quote:

we have the same hard rive from costco its already NTFS format i formatted it to fat 32 but im still having same issue lag problem.. sometimes 2 or 5 seconds delay.. anybody here recommend good 1 TB pocket HD without any lag or delay when loading tracks? thanks!
djdalite 11:53 PM - 9 July, 2010
dude that WD will be fine, there must be some other issue.

to Super Mario: with FAT32, i wasnt able to switch between a pc and mac, only till i reformatted to NTFS was i able to swap back and forth.
ernie 12:50 AM - 10 July, 2010
Quote:

to Super Mario: with FAT32, i wasnt able to switch between a pc and mac, only till i reformatted to NTFS was i able to swap back and forth.

can macbook read NTFS format i thought FAT 32 can read both mac and pc..
djdalite 1:15 AM - 10 July, 2010
im spinning as i type this on a mac with a wd my book formated in NTFS
Dj BuddyLove 3:59 AM - 10 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

can macbook read NTFS format i thought FAT 32 can read both mac and pc..

Macs will read but not write NTFS formatted drives..
DJ Super Mario is Right..Macs & PC's can read & write FAT 32
ernie 4:18 AM - 10 July, 2010
delay on WD 1 TB essential se is annoying i exchange it with 1 TB essential se MAC ONLY ( mac os extended journaled) and no luck on my old portable 500 gig WD it loads instantly... what other portable 1 TB would you recommend w/o lag or delay?
mastermind 4:24 AM - 10 July, 2010
you need to check the spec of the drive your buying, not just how big it is. The cash, speed are very important.
mastermind 4:26 AM - 10 July, 2010
i forgot. the connection is very important as well. usb,firewire,esata
ernie 5:50 AM - 10 July, 2010
Quote:
you need to check the spec of the drive your buying, not just how big it is. The cash, speed are very important.

what speed would you recommend? or what brand? im using USB only i have the late 2008 macbook no firewire..
mastermind 6:00 AM - 10 July, 2010
firewire is what i have used in the past and it always performed best for me. your macbook does not have an extension slot so you cant get an adapter for firewire. Stick with USB and get yourself a 2.5 inch HD and an enclosure that does not requirer you to plug it to a wall outlet. 7200 rmp HD are the ones i recommend if your looking for speed. 16mb of cash is also something you want for speed.
mastermind 6:04 AM - 10 July, 2010
i dont think they make a HD that is 1 TB with those specs but i belive i have seen some 750 gig HD with those specs.
djaction 3:45 PM - 10 July, 2010
I had this *EXACT* same problem on my 1TB WD drive. I tried a fucking TON of different things but the one that seemed to do the trick was updating the firmware on the drive itself and updating to the latest WD Smartware Software (Mac). Since doing this no more lag!
ernie 6:59 AM - 11 July, 2010
Quote:
I had this *EXACT* same problem on my 1TB WD drive. I tried a fucking TON of different things but the one that seemed to do the trick was updating the firmware on the drive itself and updating to the latest WD Smartware Software (Mac). Since doing this no more lag!

I did the update and nothings change..is anybody here can recommend me 1 TB portable HD without delay or freeze when loading tracks?
djaction 10:07 PM - 11 July, 2010
You updated the firmware too? Try doing a verify+repiar disk from Disk Utility in OSX
ernie 6:55 AM - 13 July, 2010
Quote:
You updated the firmware too? Try doing a verify+repiar disk from Disk Utility in OSX

yap i update the firmware i will try disc repair
ernie 2:04 AM - 14 July, 2010
problem solved i exchange my WD essential to seagate 1 tb GO FLEX portable HD and format it to fat 32 no lag or delay works smooth... i wont buy any WD 1 TB pocket HD anymore..
geeunot 2:17 AM - 14 July, 2010
I should have my Seagate 1Tb tomorrow. I'll let you guys know if there's any lag.

www.bhphotovideo.com
ernie 6:18 AM - 14 July, 2010
Quote:
I should have my Seagate 1Tb tomorrow. I'll let you guys know if there's any lag.

www.bhphotovideo.com

nice give us a feedback.. heres what i got this hard drive cab be upgrade to sata firewire usb..

www.seagate.com
ernie 7:12 AM - 14 July, 2010
my seagate go flex 1 tb Watchwww.youtube.com
damian4u 2:02 PM - 27 October, 2011
WD 1 TB external hard drive Lag problem Bought it seal pack and downloaded all my stuff in it sold my old hard disk and then found out that My Passport Essential SE lags while playing music and and worst when playing movies went to the dealer and he wanted me to show him the problem then he wanted me to give him my hard disk where the hell would i dump my data with all my old hard disk sold No replacement backup WD SUCKS WAS HAPPY WITH 500gb SEGATE tried sleep mode everything nothing works want too see if 1tb segate portable also has same problem
ernie 4:28 PM - 28 October, 2011
go for seagate go flex i use 1 TB and it has no lag issue
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:35 PM - 28 October, 2011
i run video off a MYbook studio through firewire...never had a lag
DJRemix8x3 4:43 PM - 28 October, 2011
With the lag times do you guys ever get a crash when dragging files to decks or crates??

I am getting that now. The lag I just put up with cuz of the size of my external HD
Papa Midnight 8:40 PM - 30 October, 2011
Out of curiosity, did you buy an ELEMENTS drive or one with WD SmartWare?
DJRemix8x3 11:14 PM - 30 October, 2011
I have a Seagate 2TB that is 3.0 USB. I am also using a Seagate 3.0 USD adapter since my laptop is a 2.0 USB
ernie 4:08 AM - 31 October, 2011
Quote:
Out of curiosity, did you buy an ELEMENTS drive or one with WD SmartWare?

i also try the element same thing lag problem dont use WD 750 gig and above
DJMark 4:27 AM - 31 October, 2011
My experience is that it's always better to buy a bare drive, and put it into a good-quality enclosure.

WD's bare drives are great...their enclosures pretty much suck though.
Papa Midnight 4:56 AM - 31 October, 2011
Quote:
dont use WD 750 gig and above

Why not? My 2TB and both of my 2.5TB ones work just fine.
DJRemix8x3 4:44 PM - 31 October, 2011
I 'm just guessing but if you have a 1TB and it actually iit s close to being full you will have lagtime. I say the same for my crashing while dragging issues too. I didn't have these issues with the smaller externals no matter what brand name it was.