DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Technic 1210 MK5 Turntable not powering on at all!!

DJ Tecniq 6:56 AM - 30 June, 2010
Since I am a working dj I consider this is the correct area for the discussion. Okay sat night I could not use my right turntable it would not power on at all I had to borrow a friends. I am not sure what's wrong. It's plugged into the outlet the power switch moves back n forth but no power is being sent to the TT. There are no lights that come on with the power switch set to on. Can anyone help me? These turntables are my babies n my life. I have had them since 04' and they still are in solid condition (till now :( )
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:40 PM - 30 June, 2010
First check your AC cord for cuts and kinks.
DJ McKay 1:22 PM - 30 June, 2010
check and see if you blew any of the fuses. i did this when i plugged into a outlet that was to big and blew all the fuses in the table so i had to get all the fuses replaced.
skratchworx 3:52 PM - 30 June, 2010
Remove all the screws you can see and pull off any loose parts. Then carefully pull apart everything else that will come off, stopping short of desoldering.

Then when all else fails, do the first 2 very obvious and logical steps listed above. That's how I tend to work. It's no wonder nothing ever works again when I try to fix things.

Try a different power socket as well. I've been caught out like that too.
DJ Tecniq 5:07 PM - 30 June, 2010
Thanks for the help guys, i've tried a power strip and power outlet. still nothing, How do i check to see if i blew a fuse? And how much would a fuse cost to replace?
Awesome steve 6:06 PM - 30 June, 2010
When things like that happen to me, it's usually That the power switch went bad.
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:26 PM - 30 June, 2010
Quote:
Thanks for the help guys, i've tried a power strip and power outlet. still nothing, How do i check to see if i blew a fuse? And how much would a fuse cost to replace?

There are two fuses on the power board which is under the platter.

Pull the platter up.
Unscrew 5 screws on the main circuit board cover.
Over to the left you should see a smaller circuit board. Here is a pic of the guts of an M3D, you can see the smaller board but this particular model does not have fuses.
picasaweb.google.com

Take the fuse out and if it's blown go to your local electronics shop and get a replacement. You can order the specific fuse from technics but they are almost $4 each.

Good luck
DJ Tecniq 6:51 PM - 30 June, 2010
Ahh i see, I'll strip it and see if I can find the problem. I did come across a youtube vid of how to replace the power switch but im doubting that's my issue cause i can hear it clicking when i turn it on/off. this guy is like a guru and his vids have been helping me.

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Dub Cowboy 7:05 PM - 30 June, 2010
Viper Frank is the man. You are on the right track. I dropped my 1200 last year and just figured I would have to pay for the repair. Instead I educated myself on how to fix them and now I have completely rebuilt 8 decks, and went from owning 2 to 6 in about 6 months.

I've replaced tonearms, motors, pitch faders, pop-up lights, spindles...pretty much just about everything.

I put blue LEDs in an MK5 and there was a short in one of the pop-up lights. I lost power to my deck mid gig. It was the fuse but putting a new one in didn't help they just kept blowing. Buy extras because I went through 5 or 6 locating the short. Works great now.
DJ Tecniq 7:34 PM - 30 June, 2010
interesting, yeh i def want to customize my 1210 mk 5's all w/ blue leds i just love the blue effect and blue's my fav color. I just came across a youtube vid of a technic with blue led's all around the platter like a ufo it is so pimp check it! On the badside I could not imagine how many led's would have to be replaced in the long run. still creative thou

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:47 PM - 30 June, 2010
Quote:

I've replaced tonearms, motors, pitch faders, pop-up lights, spindles...pretty much just about everything..

First CV's, now you're a Technics Authorized Repair Man.

RESPECT.
DJ Dub Cowboy 7:55 PM - 30 June, 2010
thanks JM. I've got three 1200s on the bench today.

3 RCA replacements
2 Tonearm rest replacements
2 power knob replacements
1 tonearm replacement
1 is actully getting all it's guts swapped into this deck plate www.facebook.com
and being rebuilt in the process. Rebuilding the tonearm base takes about an hour.

plus they all get their pitch adjusted and platter lubed.

Techniq,

I use these kits. www.technologytransplant.com

I've done 6 now and I can get a deck done from start to finish in less than an hour (fixing and cleaning things along the way).

I'm planning on experimenting with the under platter lights. I picked up a couple extra main circuit board covers to play around with. Time will tell.
DJ Tecniq 8:08 PM - 30 June, 2010
when i first bought my technics brand new from pro sound there was a problem from the start. the rubber parts of the rca's kept folding over the medal connection parts that plug in to the mixer. I was so damn pissed cuz i spent $749.00 a piece and the rca's were fucked up already. Luckily I got them replaced with rca monster cables. what's so funny is that the one that's not powering on is the same one that i replaced rca's on hrmm...go figure.
DJ Tecniq 8:15 PM - 30 June, 2010
Bad luck just seems to find me, I just bought a brand new macbook pro which is solid (thank god) and now my turntable craps out on me. if it's not one thing it's the other and so on...sorry for ranting
DJ Tecniq 11:53 PM - 30 June, 2010
Quote:
Techniq,

I've done 6 now and I can get a deck done from start to finish in less than an hour (fixing and cleaning things along the way).

I'm planning on experimenting with the under platter lights. I picked up a couple extra main circuit board covers to play around with. Time will tell.
Dub thanx for pointing this out to me that is exactly what I want. I was not aware there was a non soldering method very helpful indeed. Soon as my other tech gets fixed I'm customizing both.
RogerRabbit 12:35 AM - 1 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Techniq,

Dub thanx for pointing this out to me that is exactly what I want. I was not aware there was a non soldering method very helpful indeed. Soon as my other tech gets fixed I'm customizing both.

The blue led's look good in the pitch and power lights but not the popup light - its actually a bit dull. It is duller than the original white light.
DJ Tecniq 12:44 AM - 1 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Techniq,

The blue led's look good in the pitch and power lights but not the popup light - its actually a bit dull. It is duller than the original white light.
really? even if i ordered the super bright blue led's?
RogerRabbit 1:14 AM - 1 July, 2010
Yes.

www.turntabletech.com

The superwhite would be brighter than the original white, but not the superblue.

I don't know if you are familiar with hid light cars its the same thing.. I had the 1200, then the 8000, and finally the 6000's - the 6000 is the brightest of them all. But you may get the impression that the 1200(the darker shade of blue) is brighter because that shade of light reflects more on cars head, but its really really not brighter.
DJ Tecniq 8:56 PM - 1 July, 2010
Well i may have found a solution. Since it's not powering on at all I'm assuming it's the power cord. I have my friends turntable so I'm going to d/c my power cord and connect it to her table if it powers up then it's not the power cord. If it doesn't power up then it's the cord ;)
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:17 PM - 1 July, 2010
did you check the fuse. you should be able to tell just by looking at it
DJ Tecniq 9:20 PM - 1 July, 2010
Quote:
did you check the fuse. you should be able to tell just by looking at it
doing that now. haven't had much time to work on it cause i been working lol..my real job
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:25 PM - 1 July, 2010
that's more than likely what it is.

if its the power cord you can see all of it when you are looking at the fuse. I'm guess you would be able to tell if is damaged in any way.
DJ Tecniq 9:40 PM - 1 July, 2010
Quote:
that's more than likely what it is.

if its the power cord you can see all of it when you are looking at the fuse. I'm guess you would be able to tell if is damaged in any way.
hrmm i see the fuses does not look like any of them are blown, it will look dark n grimy colored if it was blown correct?
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:47 PM - 1 July, 2010
Maybe. You should be able to see a small thin strand down the middle of it
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:48 PM - 1 July, 2010
Any visible damage to the power cord?
DJ Tecniq 10:20 PM - 1 July, 2010
I see a thin strand down the middle on the fuses, there looks to be absolutely no damage to the power cord, even checked the magnet looks fine. i really don't know what it is
DJ Dub Cowboy 10:25 PM - 1 July, 2010
could be the switch? twisty power knob
DJ Dub Cowboy 10:26 PM - 1 July, 2010
and you get no power at all, no lights?
DJ Tecniq 10:54 PM - 1 July, 2010
Quote:
and you get no power at all, no lights?
checked the power switch, works perfectly fine no lights or power im really stumped that's why i think it's the ac cord coulda just shorted inside and i can't tell. is that possible?
DJ Tecniq 11:00 PM - 1 July, 2010
having a bum turntable is prob the worst thing in my life. lol..
DJ Dub Cowboy 11:03 PM - 1 July, 2010
the cord is possible but highly unlikely unless something happened to it, like the case slammed on it or it got twisted.

the fuses are hard to tell and it might be worth switching them out just in case. it never hurts to have extras

to remove the power cord you have to desolder it from power circuit board. It's not hard. I think Viper Frank has a great video on it.
DJ Dub Cowboy 11:09 PM - 1 July, 2010
Quote:

I feel you, but you are going to feel so good knowing you fixed it yourself.

I rebuilt this one:
picasaweb.google.com

into this one:
picasaweb.google.com

in about 3 hours.

That includes polishing the platter (took an hour just on that)
transferring all components into a new shell.
rebuilt tonearm base
tightened tonearm screws, the little ones deep in there
rebuilt pitch fader
new RCAs, custom made
purple LED kit
new power knob
lubed platter
cleaned and lubed pop-up light
DJ Tecniq 11:10 PM - 1 July, 2010
Quote:
the cord is possible but highly unlikely unless something happened to it, like the case slammed on it or it got twisted.

the fuses are hard to tell and it might be worth switching them out just in case. it never hurts to have extras

to remove the power cord you have to desolder it from power circuit board. It's not hard. I think Viper Frank has a great video on it.
tru the power cord just looks in perfect condition as well as the fuses, now the fuses are a bit trickier to take out they are really clamped in there. Can you tell me what voltage of fuse i'd need to replace? I think even auto shops have these fuses. I may just replace them tommorrow and try new ones hoping that's only the issue.
DJ Dub Cowboy 11:16 PM - 1 July, 2010
125V 250mA, they are actually hard to find

my electronics dealer gave me 250V 250mA and they work fine
DJ Dub Cowboy 11:17 PM - 1 July, 2010
you can pull those suckers out with a pair of needle nose pliers
DJ Tecniq 11:18 PM - 1 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

I feel you, but you are going to feel so good knowing you fixed it yourself.

I rebuilt this one:
picasaweb.google.com

into this one:
picasaweb.google.com

in about 3 hours.

That includes polishing the platter (took an hour just on that)
transferring all components into a new shell.
rebuilt tonearm base
tightened tonearm screws, the little ones deep in there
rebuilt pitch fader
new RCAs, custom made
purple LED kit
new power knob
lubed platter
cleaned and lubed pop-up light
that's badass man i love that purple led on gray looks sleek. Well i gotta get ready and dj soon. All this talk about my broke turntable is going to heavy drinking tonight lmfao..I'm thankful to have such cool dj friends to borrow their table for the week. Appreciate all the help dub u def have stuck it thru this whole thread with me and i respect that. I wish you lived out here so u could come rock the tables with me tonite. I will keep u updated.
DJ Dub Cowboy 11:21 PM - 1 July, 2010
appreciate the offer, maybe I can take you up on it one day

keep us posted
DJ Tecniq 11:21 PM - 1 July, 2010
It's even ladies nite tonite so u'd def have fun! I'd be like "dude you're gonna get ur dick sucked tonite by the hottest chick in the club" LMFAO! Bwahaha..
DJ Tecniq 11:24 PM - 1 July, 2010
Quote:
appreciate the offer, maybe I can take you up on it one day

keep us posted
anytime man just let me know. it's a small town but we'd have a good ass time. I got some crazy ass friends we do after parties all the time and the best part about WE LOVE ELECTRO!
D-Look 1:22 AM - 2 July, 2010
My 1210 did this about a month ago, and it was indeed the fuse. It's a 5mins fix.
DJ Tecniq 6:38 PM - 2 July, 2010
Quote:
My 1210 did this about a month ago, and it was indeed the fuse. It's a 5mins fix.
was it only 1 fuse? mine has 2 i believe but they both look fine. what did urs look like?
DJ Tecniq 6:45 PM - 2 July, 2010
My other question is if i do replace the fuses with new ones. im gonna have to put the turntable back together then try the outlet n turn it on correct? i can't just turn it on with the new fuses after it's been dissassembled right? im asking cause it'd be a bitch to put it all back together n not it be the fuses.
DJ Dub Cowboy 7:06 PM - 2 July, 2010
you can power it up without the main circuit board cover on, you obviously have to be careful but it works
DJ Dub Cowboy 7:09 PM - 2 July, 2010
if it helps,

I have one downstairs in the shop that has all the bottom removed and no circuit cover and I have been adjusting the pitch like this with it plugged in.
DJ Tecniq 7:13 PM - 2 July, 2010
Quote:
if it helps,

I have one downstairs in the shop that has all the bottom removed and no circuit cover and I have been adjusting the pitch like this with it plugged in.
awesome dub i think i'll just go buy extra fuses and replace em, if it works then i just saved myself tons of cash. if not then well least i have some new fuses to put to use and backups so im not really losing in the end.
DJ Tecniq 9:15 PM - 9 July, 2010
okay well i replaced the small fuse in my turntable and everything is working perfect, ran into a problem thou, the technics fuse is a 125 Volt 1.2 amp. So i went to radio shack and all i could find were a 125 Volt 4 amp which works. But im curious is this going to be too much ampage for my turntable? I just don't want something else to blow or short in my turntable.
DJ Tecniq 9:53 PM - 9 July, 2010
Is 25ma the same as ma 250v? Below is for a 5pack fuse. I came across the same thing on ebay. If you click the picture it says 250v but the description says 250ma. I just wanna make sure I'm getting the exact same fuses.

www.pssl.com

cgi.ebay.com
DJ Tecniq 9:57 PM - 9 July, 2010
The 5 pack from pro sound says 250v im assuming that also means ma. Has anyone used these on there 1200, 1210?
DJ_SCOOBY 11:47 PM - 9 July, 2010
Quote:
The 5 pack from pro sound says 250v im assuming that also means ma. Has anyone used these on there 1200, 1210?

no do not put the pssl ones in your tt. they are 250v 10a and thats way too much

Quote:
cgi.ebay.com

this is the right one to buy
DJ Tecniq 12:21 AM - 10 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

no do not put the pssl ones in your tt. they are 250v 10a and thats way too much

Quote:
cgi.ebay.com

this is the right one to buy
awesome, those are the ones i bought. im gonna try my turntable tonight w the new fuse, hopefully i wont have issues due to the more ampage. if i do i have a friends backup table.
DJ Tecniq 5:39 PM - 10 July, 2010
Well guys rocked my turntable the whole night and everything went solid. It must of just been the small fuse. When I looked at it the first time i was in bad lighting and couldn't really tell. But the 2nd time i got a flashlight and sure enough the small fuse was stripped in half n broken. Thank god it was just the fuse. Like i said i take much care of my equipment so I had a feeling it was just somethin small. But i do thank everyone for contributing to the thread. I basically learned alot about the ins & outs of turntables. Now time to customized these bitches. Thanks again
merridius 8:15 PM - 23 May, 2013
Had the same problem myself tonight, had a look inside and sure enough the mains input fuse had blown, just ordered one from ebay for £4.00 !
merridius 9:53 PM - 26 May, 2013
i made sure i got the correct replacement fuse, but thanks for the advice mate
Natpue 1:32 PM - 25 July, 2016
Great advice, just returned from a night out that my boyfriend was meant to DJ at only to find out when we got there no power to either of his decks. From having an old technics system at home and having replaced a fuse in the amp I was sure there were ones in the decks. With the advice on here I've managed to get the platter off them and yes both F1 fuses have blown much to the relief of my bloke. Most likely happened at the venue as there was numerous extension cables and were working perfect before we left. Thank you