Websites Discussion

Talk about our websites Serato.com and Whitelabel.net
To talk about a Serato product such as Scratch Live or ITCH please find the appropriate forum area.

Why 320kbps?

ballhead 6:39 AM - 9 January, 2007
Why are the files in 320kbps?
It needs to much space at the hard disk.
I think 192 or 224 is enough.
I`m shure, people at the club
don`t hear the differents between
224 and 320.
Don`t think so?
Serato
Edouard 10:51 PM - 9 January, 2007
320kbits,
Is what the DJs asked for.
Serato provides.
Serato
Edouard 10:54 PM - 9 January, 2007
Initially we were using a lower bitrate (192kbps), but the majority of DJs here were quite vocal in wanting the highest possible quality for use in clubs, etc, and so we set the bitrate to 320kpbs.

Cheers,
Edouard.
sojourn 2:39 AM - 10 January, 2007
...and we are highly appreciative.

A choice of space over quality isn't really a choice, it's a mistake.

Any decent club system readily exposes the disadvantages of even a slightly lower bitrate than 320kbps. Even to an untrained ear, tracks approaching or (yikes) below 192kbps have a tendency to sound very washy and/or similar to a low vinyl pressing.

It's refreshing to finally see an industry standard coming into being with 320, and equally enthusing to see Serato accept and promote that standard as well.
eighthwonder 10:03 AM - 10 January, 2007
I agree, 320kbps is the only way to go.
Talrinys 11:25 PM - 10 January, 2007
Too much space? Come on man, you can't be serious, you like 5 years behind if you think that's a lot of space.
320 is so much better quality.
DJ MDX 11:39 PM - 10 January, 2007
I am with everyone 320 is the way to go.
marknonsense1 3:18 AM - 11 January, 2007
Quote:
Why are the files in 320kbps?
It needs to much space at the hard disk.
I think 192 or 224 is enough.
I`m shure, people at the club
don`t hear the differents between
224 and 320.
Don`t think so?

LOL, This guy is funny, Look, Hard drives don't cost a lot. If one get full buy more, it's that easy... you can get like 1 or 2 TB if you like..... 320k is good for me... thanks
kev_the_dj 3:53 AM - 11 January, 2007
320? Why aren't they in 92?!?!

You can always go to eBay and get a better hard drive. =/

Well...I dare you to go to a club...play a 192 kbps track, then mix it in with a 320 kbps track.

There is definitely no difference.

*sarcasm*
Slick MF 1:54 AM - 12 January, 2007
Here here! Thanks to the people at Serato for making 320 kbps the new benchmark. We ask, and they listened. If you really can't understand the need for higher quality at sacrifice for space, I suggest your read the currently-active thread "File formats and the future of the 'record pool'"
DJ Prinvale` 7:39 AM - 14 January, 2007
I think 320 is pretty good.
DJ deaf WES 8:40 AM - 16 January, 2007
I would go Ogg Vorbis if you wanted condensed quality... better than MP3's
djmel 7:48 AM - 19 January, 2007
im with the masses thanks u rane for the 320 ( cause its rare i can get it from anywhere else unless i rip it from a cd
Cisco El Nino 7:31 AM - 21 January, 2007
320 im happy, and im even happier this service is free
The Politician 1:57 AM - 25 January, 2007
320 is better! You wont here the difference on a cheap DJ rig, but when you go to a major club that has a much larger sound system you hear the difference then! its closer to a wave file in the way it presents the sound. So, if you are spinning at a small spot then you you only need it to be 192 or 224 but, when you go to big clubs Live Club love in DC (they sound system cost well over $1,000,000.00) you hear it! Plus when you play a file that is 192bit or lower the sound system trys to compensate for the sound in the process it messes up alot of stuff. Mostly speakers in the club...lol Trust me! 320 if you can afford it. Beside in a world where you can get a 500 gig hard drive for $200.00 its just worth it.
Supagee 4:05 AM - 25 January, 2007
if you are goint to use 320 why not just use wave there is not a huge percentage of compression applied at 320.what you may save 25% on size. if you want 320 you may as well stick with wave.

I like my files 192VBR instead. i save on space and get great quality out of my mp3's
Cj "Tha" Sticman 5:20 AM - 25 January, 2007
I Use my serato in the club and also on the air !

For some reason on if u are listining to the radio , YOU CAN TELL WHOS USING LO BITRATE MP3'S !
most djs at the station use 192 , my partna and I use 320 , when listning you can tell the diffrernce. Just go get a 500 gig harddrive. If you are using it for work, dont be cheap with your working tools.Everything you use to make money pays for its self , DONT TRADE SIZE FOR QUALITY !!!
custom_1 2:07 PM - 25 January, 2007
from everything i've learned(not to sound unappreciative) i thought 320 was sorta a waste, extra encoded silence, not saying i don't want higher quality mp3's or even just use flac, lame is the best, and happy these are done with lame, but V0 is pretty good no?
wiki.hydrogenaudio.org
DJ Juan G 2:10 PM - 3 February, 2007
320 is awesome. You can always re-save the file at 192 for those that want to save space, but wouldn't recommend it. Besides there isn't much difference between 320 & 192, MB wise. but there is a difference in sound quality.

Thanks Serato for making this happen.
DJ Juan G 2:20 PM - 3 February, 2007
Sorry about that, can't convert. Im still loving the fact that there are 320kps. Bigger harder drive is the answer to those with no space.
Chrisssss 8:08 AM - 4 February, 2007
I just brought a 1 TB Harddrive yesterday for my DJing... So i'll be ready for big files and videos...

btw. does anybodeyknow, where to get Music Videos for playing with DJSoftware?
djmel 12:38 AM - 27 November, 2009
Quote:
320 is better! You wont here the difference on a cheap DJ rig, but when you go to a major club that has a much larger sound system you hear the difference then! its closer to a wave file in the way it presents the sound. So, if you are spinning at a small spot then you you only need it to be 192 or 224 but, when you go to big clubs Live Club love in DC (they sound system cost well over $1,000,000.00) you hear it! Plus when you play a file that is 192bit or lower the sound system trys to compensate for the sound in the process it messes up alot of stuff. Mostly speakers in the club...lol Trust me! 320 if you can afford it. Beside in a world where you can get a 500 gig hard drive for $200.00 its just worth it.

club love snd sys dont sound like a 1m$ sound system..now the paradox in bmore here where i live( since he got the joint upgraded afew years ago) that sound like a 1m$ sound sys.((my personal opinion ))
Joe-Cutz 2:46 PM - 27 November, 2009
my main reason for wanting white label to have a more extended variaty,is so that i could download all my music from whitelabel, and all my music will bump at a 320bps..... im downloading from all kinds of sites and getting all kinds of sound quality... NOT GOOD WHEN UR RECORDING... my question is how can i mactch the sound quality when im mixing a 320bp and a lower bitrate?? note; not tryin to spend money on more expensive equipment..
djmel 11:11 PM - 29 November, 2009
u cant once u cut that quality out the thrack its gone. u cant get t back or store it, ( its like when u cut lumber ..once u cut the wood thats it u can put it back)
selectajay 4:47 PM - 30 November, 2009
Quote:
my main reason for wanting white label to have a more extended variaty,is so that i could download all my music from whitelabel, and all my music will bump at a 320bps..... im downloading from all kinds of sites and getting all kinds of sound quality... NOT GOOD WHEN UR RECORDING... my question is how can i mactch the sound quality when im mixing a 320bp and a lower bitrate?? note; not tryin to spend money on more expensive equipment..
I feel the same way.Also it would be nice if WL posted most reggae riddims on here instead of just a few thats popular.I would love to have all my reggae at 320 from WL but since i receive reggae from diff sites it varies from 128 - 320..however i ripp my cds at 320 of course:)..as for matching the sound quality, im not too shure about that one.
Serato, Support
ChrisD 10:14 PM - 1 December, 2009
selectajay, reggae tunes are always VERY popular here on Whitelabel.net.

Believe me, we're working hard to get more ;-)
DJ POLARIS 11:10 AM - 3 December, 2009
I wont jump into anybodys face with all this "who is this guy?" and "are you serious?" because some dj's are on her to learn and some need teachin!

anyway.......i can hear the difference bu their are alternatives that I have tried when I first started using computer to dj. Some of us come from the vynyl world and transistioned so we kno how to work with less. Some dj's started on serato or cdj's so they dont have the historical context of using what you got.

I have taken lower bitrate mp3's and processed them through some of my studio plug-ins such as waves l-2 or even ll-16 which has all kinds of release presets to give you the proper sound. I will admit this is more time consuming but if the only mp3 you have or can find is low bit rate then this might give it that life you need.

Check out the IDR also it "adds" some bit rate to tracks.

This is in no way a 100% solution but i know it has worked for me in a pinch!
ELITE CMDR 666 4:29 PM - 4 December, 2009
First i like to say excuse my english being that it is not my first language thank you. I just started to Dj for my love of music dont have not fancy speakers in my media room so i am using my home theater system as my setup. For those who are complaining about the high bpm files and to those who say that the cant tell a differance i have news for you lol, you can and i noticed it the other day. While i was blasting away at some Limelight remixes that i just bought i had just downloaded them to itunes at only 192bpm so i could save some hard drive space. Then i did another batch of music at 320bpm and it was horrible, i had to compensate for the lower audio file by raise the audio and the bpm to sort of match the higher one not to mention that all this i notice while using my home theater. like i said im new to this but if 320 is the way to go im there. Hard drives are not expensive so stop trying to save some space cause its not worth and be thankful that that there is a whitelabel.net to where you can download music from cause i already spent a couple of thousand on my laptop and my vci just imagine how much more you would have to spend on cds or mp3 download... thanks Serato

now if i can just find my hard drive
djmel 6:51 PM - 8 December, 2009
Quote:
First i like to say excuse my english being that it is not my first language thank you. I just started to Dj for my love of music dont have not fancy speakers in my media room so i am using my home theater system as my setup. For those who are complaining about the high bpm files and to those who say that the cant tell a differance i have news for you lol, you can and i noticed it the other day. While i was blasting away at some Limelight remixes that i just bought i had just downloaded them to itunes at only 192bpm so i could save some hard drive space. Then i did another batch of music at 320bpm and it was horrible, i had to compensate for the lower audio file by raise the audio and the bpm to sort of match the higher one not to mention that all this i notice while using my home theater. like i said im new to this but if 320 is the way to go im there. Hard drives are not expensive so stop trying to save some space cause its not worth and be thankful that that there is a whitelabel.net to where you can download music from cause i already spent a couple of thousand on my laptop and my vci just imagine how much more you would have to spend on cds or mp3 download... thanks Serato

co sign +1 on what he said( just minus the bad english ) yes like he said if u got a pis poor sound set up u will not hear it but if u do ...u will hear every single trash line in the track
djcruz99 8:19 AM - 15 December, 2009
I don't get it, this guy apparently purchased SSL for a few hundred dollars and is worried about the cost of HD's. I hope he is a newbie :). If you are a newbie, we forgive you.
djmel 10:47 PM - 15 December, 2009
gota be ..or just dont know any better or cheap....?????
Leafie 12:43 PM - 12 January, 2013
Just discovered this site thinking it would be good.

Why 320 MP3? Why indeed.

People paying to hear performances should not have to suffer MP3 at all.

Flac please.
Leafie 9:36 PM - 26 November, 2013
Hoping mp3 is now dead. It should be.
Lucky Strike 6:58 PM - 7 May, 2016
I would say that v0 is equivalent guys...read up ;)