Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Transfer Files from External Hard Drive to Macbook

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL1
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Mic209 3:29 PM - 27 June, 2010
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.0
Hardware: scratchlive-sl1
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.6.4
---

I used windows vista and an external hard drive (FAT32) for a while, but i finally got a macbook pro. How do I transfer all my music and crates to the macbook? Also, after everything is on the macbook, how can i backup all my songs and crates on my external so I can use that for backup or if i play on somebody elses computer.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 12:39 AM - 28 June, 2010
Hi Mic209,

To transfer these files to your internal drive follow these steps:

1) Copy all your music to a new location on your Internal drive on the macbook.

2) Move your _ScratchLive_ folder from your external drive to this location:

users / username / music / _ScratchLive_

3) Rename this folder from _ScratchLive_ to ScratchLive

4) Disconnect external hard drive

5) Restart Scratch Live and rescan ID3 tags. Your tracks should now show as missing (red).

6) Drag the folder which is your new location of your music on your macbook onto the relocate lost files button which should re-associate them with your Scratch Live library.

Let me know if this works for you and we can move onto backing up on the external :)

Cheers.
Laz219 12:47 AM - 28 June, 2010
If it helps, this is a video walkthrough of the process.
www.youtube.com
Mic209 4:10 AM - 28 June, 2010
Quote:
Hi Mic209,

To transfer these files to your internal drive follow these steps:

1) Copy all your music to a new location on your Internal drive on the macbook.

2) Move your _ScratchLive_ folder from your external drive to this location:

users / username / music / _ScratchLive_

3) Rename this folder from _ScratchLive_ to ScratchLive

4) Disconnect external hard drive

5) Restart Scratch Live and rescan ID3 tags. Your tracks should now show as missing (red).

6) Drag the folder which is your new location of your music on your macbook onto the relocate lost files button which should re-associate them with your Scratch Live library.

Let me know if this works for you and we can move onto backing up on the external :)

Cheers.

Thank You, It'll actually be a couple days before my macbook is here, when it is and i get this done, i'll let you know
Mic209 4:35 AM - 9 July, 2010
Okay I got all my files on my macbook and everything is working. Now how would i back this all up on my external drive so I can use my external on other computers with serato.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 1:43 AM - 12 July, 2010
Do you want to back everything up so that you can restore everything on the internal drive, or are you wanting to be able to play the tracks from the external itself too? To back everything up, simply copy all your music and also the "ScratchLive" folder from

users / username / music / ScratchLive

onto your external drive. When you need to restore you simply have to move this folder back to your internal drive to this location, drag your music files back and then relocate lost files. Let me know if you understand everything?

Sam.
Mic209 1:23 PM - 12 July, 2010
Quote:
Do you want to back everything up so that you can restore everything on the internal drive, or are you wanting to be able to play the tracks from the external itself too? To back everything up, simply copy all your music and also the "ScratchLive" folder from

onto your external drive. When you need to restore you simply have to move this folder back to your internal drive to this location, drag your music files back and then relocate lost files. Let me know if you understand everything?

Sam.

I want to do both, I want to have a backup of whats on my computer, and I also want to use that same external hard drive if I'm ever in a situation where another DJ has their computer already setup and all I have to do is plug in my external. Also, everytime I add new songs and change my crates, do I copy all my music over again
or just the new stuff and serato files?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 10:42 PM - 12 July, 2010
Could you do this please:

1) Copy all your music files to your external drive

2) Remove these from your internal drive or just hide them from Scratch Live (rename the folder they reside in)

3) Open Scratch Live

4) Rescan ID3 tags, this should make your files show up as missing (red). Relocate lost files by dragging the music from your external drive onto the relocate lost files button.

5) Your Scratch Live library should now be reassociated with the music files on your external drive. When you connect this to another computer your music and crates should show up.

Let me know if this makes sense?
Laz219 11:16 PM - 12 July, 2010
To have your files automatically update, have a look into 'sync' programs. They work by checking what's in one folder that isn't in the other and then moves anything new to the second (in this case your external)
dj lad 7:05 PM - 6 September, 2010
So, I'm trying to do this exact thing -- move from a PC to a Mac. I copied all my videos (all I have) over and the SL folder from my external drive as well.

I then do the "relocate lost files" function and it will only find some of the files --- not all. I am very confused -- any ideas?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 1:29 AM - 7 September, 2010
Hi dj lad,

You should not move your _ScratchLive_ folder from your external hard drive. This basically keeps all the database/crate information for any music files that are on the external drive. You should only move the ScratchLive folder from your old computer to your new computer into the location:

Are you able to let me know exactly where you moved files to and from?
6:00 AM, 21 Sep 2010
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.