Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

New computer + Windows 7 + TTMSL57 + SSL 2.0 = Audio skipping :(

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane TTM 57SL
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
DJUnderdog 5:01 AM - 27 June, 2010
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.0
Hardware: rane-ttm57sl
Computer: pc
OS Version: win732
---

Basically SSL is skipping. Need some help please....Got a new PC computer with Windows 7 and updated all drivers etc...(ASUS G60JX 500gb, 4gb, I5, 2.26GHz) Installed SSL 2.0 and attached to TTM57SL and updated the TTM57SL drivers as for all of the USB ports using the directions indicate in the manual. SSL boots fine and hook up TTM57SL to the computer. Load songs and hit play (either either in REL or INT mode) Wave forms play as normal but audio drops in and out. Plays for a few seconds and then cuts out. Can find no method or pattern of why it skipps. It will play for 10-15 seconds and then drop out for about 30sec-1min. Tried several times with different songs. Tried all the usual, restart computer, restart TTM57SL but no luck. Only thing left that I have not tried is updating the TTM57SL Firmware...but I'm not sure I need to do that. Looking for advice and help please. Thanks
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 12:26 AM - 28 June, 2010
Hi underdog,

Could you please let me know your computer specifications? (Processor, RAM, HD, OS)

Cheers.
DJ_Motion 2:32 AM - 28 June, 2010
Still having the problem?
DJUnderdog 4:11 AM - 28 June, 2010
Unfortunately I am still having the problem. What additional info would you like besides the computer specifications with my first post so I can get you what you are looking for?

Thanks again. Any advice?

Additional info: My other Windows laptop still works fine with the same TTM57SL mixer and SSL 2.0. My older laptop runs Windows XP but is just older and slower.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 4:14 AM - 28 June, 2010
Do you use any other external devices or hard drives? Have you tried all available USB ports and tried a different USB cable? Also do you have any other software running at the same time as Scratch Live such as anti-virus etc?
DJUnderdog 4:45 AM - 28 June, 2010
No external hard drive and no other software running when I test. Laptop is so new I have not even installed a virus software yet. Just updated every driver out of the box and installed SSL. I have not tried a new cable. I'll see if I even have an extra one to try. If that's not it what next? Thanks again.
DJUnderdog 4:46 AM - 28 June, 2010
Also tried all 4 USB ports.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 4:48 AM - 28 June, 2010
Could you run the DPC latency checker please and let me know if there are any device conflicts that may be causing you to have USB dropouts? This tool can be found here:

www.thesycon.de

Run this and play some audio in Scratch Live then let me know what the results are.

Cheers.
DJUnderdog 1:43 AM - 29 June, 2010
Tried new cable and also using the program as mentioned above. No luck with cable and program stated there may be an interference. After about a 12/ hour on the phone with ASUS support... they advised to send it back since it is under warranty. I guess they will get it up and running... Ill post results and test after "7-14 working days" to return the laptop from the factory. Thanks again.
5:10 AM, 14 Jul 2010
underdog attached a file: DPC Check.jpg
View· Permalink
DJUnderdog 5:15 AM - 14 July, 2010
Well unfortunately I received my new laptop back again today and they installed and tested stuff. Installed Serato 2.0 again and gave it a try. Load up 2 songs both decks internal mode, attached to ttm57sl, after installing ttm57sl driver updates to all usb ports on computer...NO CHANGE. Same skipping at the same times.Either deck. 10-15 seconds of playing then about 30 seconds or more of dead time. A "scratching and poping sound" kind of like needle popping when the song actually plays and when the music stops you can still hear this poping and scratching.

Ran DPC latency checker again. Same results as last test... New Results: " Some device drivers on this machine behave bad and will probably cause drop-outs in real-time audio and/or video streams. To isolate the misbehaving driver use Device Manager and disable/re-enable various devices, one at a time. Try network and W-LAN adapters, modems, internal sound devices, USB host controllers, etc." I see mostly red lines on the screen up to 8000us (or whatever is says) slows down to green and yellow levels but back up again to red most of the time. (See attached screenshot)

I attempted to disable devices one at a time as did before on June 29th for my last post. All "Network and W-LAN adapters, modems, internal sound devices, USB host controllers" No change. I disabled most everything one at a time but stopped short of the 'System Devices" There are about 40 items and I don't think its a good idea to stop chip sets and such. I'm no computer expert but i'm not sure that is a good idea.

Very frustrated at this point. Suggestions please.... or its back to the store for you.
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:35 AM - 14 July, 2010
Try this post ---> www.serato.com Download the program in this and follow the instructions and upload the report to this thread with the attach a file button.

But at a guess your having issues because you have an ''i'' quad core intel chip.

Read more about that below...

Quote:
Right now we are seeing problems with "i" series processors (PC and MAC) when used with USB1.1 devices (Sl-1 or TTM57). It is an issue we take seriously and have bought a few PC computers in order to duplicate the issue. After a few models we have been able to duplicate it and we are working on more tests in hopes that we find a solution. A solution however can not be gauranteed until we know more about the issue.

You are reporting symptoms that are indicative of this problem.

Do you have another computer we can try the SL-1 on?

Do you have access to a SL-3 box?

I'm sorry for the lack of solution, but at this moment we are doing everything within our power to solve this dilemma. Thank you for your patience.

A user has found that if he plugs a USB hub into his laptop and then the rane hardware into the hub it works fine. [[Obviously this is just a workaround and not a fix]] But its worth you testing it out.

Cheers.
3:44 PM, 14 Jul 2010
underdog attached a file: JEFF-PC-dpcisr-report.txt
Download· Permalink
DJUnderdog 3:50 PM - 14 July, 2010
OK. Downloaded ran test and attached the report. Attempted a USB Hub but no luck. So it seems that the solution is to purchase a slower and older laptop with no "i" quad core intel chip so that Serato works? That seams a little weird. Thanks for all your help.
DJGifted1 5:41 PM - 14 July, 2010
Could it be that the person using the USB Hub is using SL-1 and not TTM 57? they use different drivers i think. underdog we can try it with my serato box if you want. a friend is currently using it at the moment but i get it back this weekend so maybe try it next week?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 11:18 PM - 14 July, 2010
It looks like you are having a bunch of issues which are causing you to have these dropouts:

1) USBPORT.SYS

This is your USB controller which is causing you some issues. Could you check your computer manufacturers website for any USB driver updates or BIOS updates?

2) dxgkrnl.sys

This is related to your graphics card which is causing problems. Could you check for any graphics card driver updates for you card and install these.

3) ndis.sys

This is your network card which is causing you some trouble. Could you try disabling this in the device manager.

Could you please try these things and let me know how you go?
DJUnderdog 5:37 AM - 28 August, 2010
Unfortunately I gave up and returned the PC laptop. After trying everything you listed above...still no luck. Crap. Thinking about going back to a MacBook Pro. Although...before I go out and spend a bunch of cash on a new Mac Book....are there still "problems with "i" series processors" as mentioned above? If so that's really lame. I don't want to go out and purchase a core two duo processor just because the "i" series processors for some reason do not work. Anyone using a MacBook Pro with an "i2, i5 or i7 with Serato 2.1 that works? Thanks
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 10:44 PM - 30 August, 2010
The new Macbooks with i series processors should work fine with Scratch Live 2.1. There was a workaround added to the software which means that the dropout issue on these machines does not occur anymore.
6:00 AM, 14 Sep 2010
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.