DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Does anyone get nervous before they play, if so what can you do to help

joshhughes 7:02 PM - 16 June, 2010
Hey Guys,

First post but been reading this forum for ages and learning, been djing for about 2 years now, played my first live set 6 month ago and tonight i have my biggest set ive ever done, 3000 people here to see rusko and caspa and im in the second room. Pooping my pants and wanna know any good tips to calm down a bit :)

Cheers
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:04 PM - 16 June, 2010
vodka
joshhughes 7:07 PM - 16 June, 2010
haha i've got a bottle of dissorano in the booth waiting for me :)
DJ_SCOOBY 7:09 PM - 16 June, 2010
I just yell LETS GET IT and go on and play normally
Discobee 7:11 PM - 16 June, 2010
Rub one out before leaving home.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:12 PM - 16 June, 2010
Quote:
Rub one out before going on stage.

Just make sure you wipe your hands before touching the vinyl
DJ_SCOOBY 7:13 PM - 16 June, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

naw it helps make em stick
joshhughes 7:15 PM - 16 June, 2010
Quote:

HA!
bill-e 7:15 PM - 16 June, 2010
lol
madahda 7:29 PM - 16 June, 2010
It's how you look at it. You're not nervous, you are about to GO IN! So think of it more like excitement. If you prepared, got your music organized, familiar with your equipment and get your skill set together, you know you'll be fine. Keep spinnin' all real DJs started out that way
babooza69 7:32 PM - 16 June, 2010
the only thing i get nervous about is when the club is dead
joshhughes 7:36 PM - 16 June, 2010
Good stuff! I asked the question hoping there was some miracle cure but it sounds like manning up and getting on with it is the answer! Cheers guys!
Dj Corleone508 9:02 PM - 16 June, 2010
i have been playing clubs regularly for the last 2 years and every night atleast 2 hours before the show i get wicked nervous like i can't eat and im really jittery. this continues until a half hour into my set. what i do is just chill out and play some easy tracks and some of my prepared routines until i get cool and then just tear it up after that.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 9:13 PM - 16 June, 2010
Quote:

DON"T lick your fingers between scratches if this is your method. LOL.

I used to and sometimes still get a bit nervous. Usually I just need to focus on breathing steady. When I first started my hands would get super shakey, even if mentally I wasn't nervous. I actually saw Zach here do this once and I tried it and to this day I still do it sometimes, but shake it out.

Have like a mini one person 5 second mosh pit with yourself or just wildy flail your arms. It gets the blood moving and the adrenalin up. Once you got that, you got the juice ;)
O.B.1 9:13 PM - 16 June, 2010
I actually miss the butterflies I used to get...
Rane, Support
Chad S. 9:14 PM - 16 June, 2010
oh, I puked on myself once before playing. lol. Luckily it was clear and not much, but my shirt had a little funk on it.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:17 PM - 16 June, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I used to and sometimes still get a bit nervous

ewww
DJ_SCOOBY 9:21 PM - 16 June, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I used to and sometimes still get a bit nervous

ewww

lmfao
DJ TOGTFO 10:32 PM - 16 June, 2010
Quote:
I actually miss the butterflies I used to get...

+1
I miss that feeling. Nothing feels better when you feel nervous and about 20 minutes in, the nerves are gone and the dance floor is packed.

I see nothiing wrong with being a little nervous. Just mix a little safer, cut a little safer untill you feel warmed up.
Wazo 10:50 PM - 16 June, 2010
Quote:
oh, I puked on myself once before playing. lol. Luckily it was clear and not much, but my shirt had a little funk on it.

nice.....chad's a puker!! lol
ZESH! 11:04 PM - 16 June, 2010
Quote:
Hey Guys,

First post but been reading this forum for ages and learning, been djing for about 2 years now, played my first live set 6 month ago and tonight i have my biggest set ive ever done, 3000 people here to see rusko and caspa and im in the second room. Pooping my pants and wanna know any good tips to calm down a bit :)

Cheers

I say POOP!
then go do your thing.

Gotta remember that you're da MAN! Fukk who's in the next room!
ZESH! 11:13 PM - 16 June, 2010
Or...you can do what this guy did
Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ_Gadabout 2:25 AM - 17 June, 2010
1/2 Beer .. 1 Cigarette .. Turn The "Nervous Energy" into "Hype Energy" ..and Just Do It =]
Then go back nd finish the Beer.
Routine. X]
joshhughes 10:19 AM - 17 June, 2010
Yooo,

Cheers for all the help! Last night was amazing in the end, had a full room the whole night and couldn't of asked for a better night at all! I found the best thing to do was practice all the hardest mixes in my set right at the beginning when no-one was there, just to get into rhythm.

:)
MADLOGIC the Selectah 10:45 AM - 17 June, 2010
Quote:
vodka

Quote:

LMAO!
EdT2000 11:29 AM - 17 June, 2010
Roll a fat one, chop up a couple of fat lines and a couple of vodka and Red Bull's. In that order... Then you're good to go!

Quote:

Or get your missus to rub one out for you before you go.
EdT2000 11:29 AM - 17 June, 2010
Roll a fat one, chop up a couple of fat lines and a couple of vodka and Red Bull's. In that order... Then you're good to go!

Quote:

EdT2000 11:30 AM - 17 June, 2010

Quote:

EdT2000 11:31 AM - 17 June, 2010

Quote:

DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:40 PM - 17 June, 2010
Close your eyes...
Dj Bacik 1:55 PM - 17 June, 2010
I usually do a shot of crown 30 minutes before. Thats gets me feeling just right for when I start. I like the nerves. The day I stop being nervous about a gig is the day I stop being excited about it.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 3:36 PM - 17 June, 2010
Quote:
Yooo,

Cheers for all the help! Last night was amazing in the end, had a full room the whole night and couldn't of asked for a better night at all! I found the best thing to do was practice all the hardest mixes in my set right at the beginning when no-one was there, just to get into rhythm.

:)

Big ups!
DJ Viru 3:42 PM - 17 June, 2010
lol seriously I've been a club resident for a year and I've been DJ professionally for 2-3 years now and I still get nervous and butterflies. It usually makes me want to take a shit =[

But yeah after a few songs and a couple drinks, you feel like you're on top of the world. It's such a euphoric feeling when you have the crowd dancing to your music and control everything about them.
Audio1 4:03 PM - 17 June, 2010
A nice nap before the gig. A shot or 2 of your favorite beverage (tequila, whiskey, rum, fernet) will ease you down.
dj_craigmac 4:38 PM - 17 June, 2010
OK let me get this straight. Before his gig he should poop, rub on out, smoke a fatone and a cigarette,do a line, consume an alcoholic beverage, puke, do a 1 man mosh pit, and tell yourself i'm the man. LOL
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:45 PM - 17 June, 2010
thats about it
O.B.1 4:52 PM - 17 June, 2010
better show up a little early...
Audio1 5:04 PM - 17 June, 2010
Ive been DJing for over 18 years and I still get a bit nervous when going on... Its all part of the game... A few tracks in, with 1-2 drinks and some rest, You'll be good.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 6:06 PM - 17 June, 2010
lol at craigmack. Good stuff :)
Bazildon 6:11 PM - 17 June, 2010
I wanna see craigmac spin....anyone else?
DJ Lewshis 6:55 PM - 17 June, 2010
It's normal to be nervous.
Just do deep breathing. Believe me, it works. I get super nervous before going on a plane, performing my set with people, etc and I just take deep breaths and it actually feel better. For the longest time I was like "No that won't work. I'll just try not to think about it," but since that didn't work, I figured what have I got to loose and tried it.
The key is to concentrate on each breath. This is what I do: Breathe in. After that I count to 4. Then I breathe out. Count to 4. Then Breathe in, etc.
After about 10-20 minutes, at the most, you'll find your groove and be fine.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:14 PM - 17 June, 2010
I never get nervous, every time i take the stage i take it expecting to fail....nothing to be nervous about when the worst thing that can happen to you is you end up wrong and do a good job
joshhughes 8:53 AM - 18 June, 2010
haha glad to see everyone else gets nervouse, and your all right, being nervouse is one of the fun things about it! looking forward to my next set now!
The Real DJ Maestro 9:22 AM - 18 June, 2010
yeah if you not nervous you are not trying..... Well all get nervous, thats why half of us drink so much at the club!
Evil_banana 10:16 AM - 18 June, 2010
Quote:
yeah if you not nervous you are not trying..... Well all get nervous, thats why half of us drink so much at the club!

True! But I never get wasted :o).

Usually I set up all my stuff first, then go sit at the bar for 10 minutes to bullshit a bit with the bartender while having a beer and a few cigarettes. After those 10 minutes, I'm still nervous but I got the setting up out of my head and it gave me some time to analyze the crowd. First 3 mixes are mostly a bit messy, but after that the it's all gone and I'm getting into the groove to survive the coming 6-9 hours.
SeriousCyrus 11:19 AM - 18 June, 2010
My hands shake so much I can barely put the needle on the record, after a couple of tracks and a beer, I'm usually ok and just worry about music selection.
kryptonitednb 12:56 PM - 18 June, 2010
Quote:
OK let me get this straight. Before his gig he should poop, rub on out, smoke a fatone and a cigarette,do a line, consume an alcoholic beverage, puke, do a 1 man mosh pit, and tell yourself i'm the man. LOL

You have to do them exactly in this order though, or you will FAIL.
DJAK_SA 3:01 PM - 18 June, 2010
Double shot of Hennessey will work everytime.
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 5:39 PM - 18 June, 2010
I get that anxious and nervous feeling when ever I spin at places i've never played at. Jus cause of the unexpected. What is the booth like? What is the crowd like? Is it gonna be busy or dead ect. So I get there in plenty of time and take my time setting up grab a drink or two at the bar and chop it up with the staff. It always goes away within those first few songs.

My regular Saturday spot I never get nervous. I've been there for like 8 months and I know the people and the crowd and its two floors so I don't have to start till 11. By the time they open my top floor people are warmed up and ready to get busy.
dj_craigmac 5:48 PM - 18 June, 2010
Quote:

Trust me, seeing me spin is NOTHING(i repeat) Nothing special.
Watching me spin is like watchin wet paint dry. LOL
Bazildon 7:04 PM - 18 June, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah (if you say so??), but what a warm-up that would be and would you remember anything at all about the set you'd just played....and would anyone else?

Maybe I should have put that i wanna see you spin ON that, but anyways..
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:06 PM - 18 June, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

same hear...its HEARING me spin that amazing LOL JK
dj_craigmac 9:46 PM - 18 June, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

same hear...its HEARING me spin that amazing LOL JK

"Hearing" me spin will remind u of Amtrak or gym shoes in a laundry dryer on tumble
(damn did i just say that)? lol
Maskrider 10:02 PM - 18 June, 2010
Drink plenty of Alcohol......It helps a lot.
Bazildon 11:52 PM - 18 June, 2010
Quote:

I've always found that with alcohol I seem to think I'm doing better than I really am.
DJ Sniffles 11:54 PM - 18 June, 2010
Drink Drink Drink Drink
Dj No Name 12:47 AM - 19 June, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

I've always found that with alcohol I seem to think I'm doing better than I really am.

+1

i never drink at gigs but many a time when chilling in the house i've recorded what i thought was an amazing set only to listen again when i am sober to train wreck after train wreck
Maskrider 4:35 AM - 19 June, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

lol......Alcohol does make some wonders one way or the other.
Dispo.RKS 6:21 AM - 19 June, 2010
I dont get that nervous as much as i get anxious...Its like damn, i just wanna get the party started, screw this warmup bs i wanna get to this point in the night...I mainly like to take a shot of something with vodka and get a vodka and mixer or something
At my weds spot i get free draft beer and super cheap drinks, but last week decided to drink some beer after a couple drinks, and ended up more drunk than i wanted to be, glad it was towards the end of my set..
The Real DJ Maestro 3:16 PM - 19 June, 2010
i don't usually get nervous, well i'm lying like a MF! i still get nervous using serato around Drunk idiots. I had one mishaps when someone spilled Hennesy and Coke all over my laptop! shut my shit down, lucky I had a backup laptop with me, and some CD's with some songs on it..... I never really get nervous spinning cuz this is what i love to do, but if you love something you will always be nervous doing it.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:25 PM - 21 June, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

ya but your crowds drinking too, so if drinking makes you sound better to you, it prob makes you sound better to them too lol
The Real DJ Maestro 3:36 PM - 21 June, 2010
Alcohol Rules!!!!! Pour it up
vorona131 5:29 PM - 12 December, 2014
I get nervous only because I feel that i m not going to find the "songs I should I have played". I know I have to organize my playlist but how do you guys do it? By genre? By times like warmup and peak, or do you guys put it all into one folder. If you do the last, how do you sort your tracks?
 6 6:11 PM - 12 December, 2014
Quote:
I get nervous only because I feel that i m not going to find the "songs I should I have played". I know I have to organize my playlist but how do you guys do it? By genre? By times like warmup and peak, or do you guys put it all into one folder. If you do the last, how do you sort your tracks?

There are so many ways to do it. Programming is very important but as you gain more experience, you may need to do less work ahead of time. I freestyle most of the time and I don't feel I need to prepare too much except for something very special. I use the codes method of organizing music so that also helps.

nm
dj jamalot 7:34 PM - 12 December, 2014
i usually hit my flask of Henny and i'm good... Oh and make good playlists and know your music / Crowd...
vorona131 8:36 PM - 12 December, 2014
codes method? ill have to look that up! have any of you guys ever done a gig with a partner dj? if so, how did you guys go go back and forth? did you just solit the times up or was it more of a tag team? im doing a gig like this tomoro with another dj but we plan to "tag team". we practised a bit using seperate controllers. You guys have any tips? codes method? ill have to look that up! have any of you guys ever done a gig with a partner dj? if so, how did you guys go go back and forth? did you just solit the times up or was it more of a tag team? im doing a gig like this tomoro with another dj but we plan to "tag team". we practised a bit using seperate controllers. You guys have any tips?