DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

SUGGESTIONS FOR BUYING EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES??

DJ ESATI 4:55 AM - 10 June, 2010
I am looking to buy an external hard drive to back up my music with, yet I have no idea what brand to buy or what is a good external hard drive that works well with serato?? I have a Sony Vaio running Windows 7 if that makes any difference in hard drives... And another question I had was should External Hard Drives be used for just back up or actually DJ live gigs while they're connected?
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:01 PM - 10 June, 2010
Im using a westrern digital 1 TB studio edition and i LOVE IT, it runs great dosent sleep and has 2.0 FW400 FW800 connections. www.amazon.com

I highly recomend
DJ ESATI 10:47 PM - 10 June, 2010
Nice, I'll definitely look into buying that! Thanks a lot!
djchope 6:11 AM - 11 June, 2010
western digital is a good brand, you can get 1tb for 100 bucks and 500gb (portable) for 100 bucks too.
I own 2 western digital and have not fail me yet.
I just got 2 Lacie ex hd
so far so good.
I use them for live dj'ing, have a couple of tracks on my computers hd for emergency.
Other dj's have told me that is best for music to be up on your computers hd, soon im going to upgrade my computers hd and start storing more music, instead of me plugin in my hd
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:21 PM - 11 June, 2010
Im thinking about grabbing that western digital 4TB my book studio edition...soooo soooo tempted!!!
Divine Society Productions 7:22 PM - 11 June, 2010
Quote:
Im using a westrern digital 1 TB studio edition and i LOVE IT, it runs great dosent sleep and has 2.0 FW400 FW800 connections. www.amazon.com

I highly recomend

Same one I got, no issues at all, highly reccomend it also!
jroc453 7:54 PM - 11 June, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

I highly recomend

Same one I got, no issues at all, highly reccomend it also!

I thought you were gonna chime in on this one...
spirez 9:06 AM - 13 June, 2010
I've had two WDs fail on me now so going for something else next time. Can you get a portable that runs on FW800 without external power?
the_black_one 5:37 PM - 13 June, 2010
step up your gear and go SSD
DJ_SCOOBY 8:04 PM - 13 June, 2010
Quote:
step up your gear and go SSD

Large write and read counts dont go well with SSD...It will burn them out eventually and backing up after that is close to impossible
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:11 PM - 13 June, 2010
im not familiar on the subject so sorry i its innaccurate but i dont think their crankin out SSDs that will fit my storage needs, and if they do i bet i cant afford em lol
the_black_one 8:48 PM - 13 June, 2010
I made a choice! There was so much music that i was not using. What i did i moved alot of music to my backup drive that stays home and deleted them out of my laptop drive. I bought the intel 160 SSD and consolidated my library. Much faster, runs cooler.The down side are two things for me.

1) price
2) storage space

over all the performance of my computer was really good and now it's fucking amazing!
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:49 PM - 13 June, 2010
arent your 2 downsides the 2 most important things to consider when making that particular purchase??
the_black_one 8:51 PM - 13 June, 2010
for me it was speed and running cool my main points
the_black_one 8:52 PM - 13 June, 2010
also battery life was boosted
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:52 PM - 13 June, 2010
makes sence, me personally ts all about storage space
the_black_one 8:57 PM - 13 June, 2010
not to get into the whole internal/external discussion but i started with external drives and after moving everything to internal things just ran better for me.

IMHO. there is no need for me to have 500 gigs of music and another 500 gigs videos. On an average night i play maybe 200 songs at the most!
the_black_one 9:03 PM - 13 June, 2010
also having an external HD is another thing that can fail, you have to worry about the risk of the drive accidentally eject (it happened to me with different brands of drives and enclosures).
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:05 PM - 13 June, 2010
Quote:
also having an external HD is another thing that can fail, you have to worry about the risk of the drive accidentally eject (it happened to me with different brands of drives and enclosures).

i agree with this and i hate that were at a point where relying on something that can easily fail for our entire set...that said i require HUGE amounts of space so an internal wont cut it, i have like 1.5 terrabytes of video alone
the_black_one 9:07 PM - 13 June, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

i agree with this and i hate that were at a point where relying on something that can easily fail for our entire set...that said i require HUGE amounts of space so an internal wont cut it, i have like 1.5 terrabytes of video alone

You must have tons of videos!
DJ'Que 9:14 PM - 13 June, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

samehere A internal wont work for me either I keep pocket drive's just incase.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:21 PM - 13 June, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You must have tons of videos!

every video from smashvids, 8th wonder, DTVideos, and a large selection of crooklyn, your remix and gigawax, plus the random drops and skits..ya its alot
the_black_one 9:23 PM - 13 June, 2010
i have promonly from 2001 to current urban, express, and dance series and im at like 500 gigs of videos.