DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Crooklyn Clan co-op

allenbina 4:23 PM - 2 January, 2007
someone switched my lightbulb on and i had a brilliant idea. since the songs on the crooklyn clan are technically "free", then whoever owns them can share the individual songs with whoever he/she feels appropriate. therefore, i am going to start a co-op of djs to buy all / most of the songs on crooklynclan.net and share them for FREE. the cost will be split among the number of djs, all info will be public, and everyone will be on the honor system. hit me up on myspace to collab.
www.myspace.com
DJ Pryme 4:46 PM - 2 January, 2007
... seems like a bad idea bro
dj KarrsiN 4:48 PM - 2 January, 2007
Quote:
... seems like a bad idea bro
allenbina 5:08 PM - 2 January, 2007
grey area...
nik39 8:00 PM - 2 January, 2007
See what has been said here scratchlive.net <-click

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So I've gotta play Devil's Advocate for a minute...

If I went and purchased all the tracks on Crooklyn, and then posted a link to the entire collection for download here on the forum under a thread titled "FREE CROOKLYN TRACKS... GET 'EM HERE!", then that would be 100% completely cool and Crooklyn wouldn't mind... right?

Quote:
From the Crooklyn website:
"All the files contained in the Vault are for PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY, and FREE OF CHARGE."

Promotional use and free of charge....hmmm
Does anyone else wish to promote free of charge.
These tracks are great and as DJ Clark says, labels see it as free promotion.
Is anyone willing to share these tracks with the scratchlive community?
Well, it is totally legit. Read what DJ Sizzahands wrote on this:

Quote:
Be smart, wait for your buddy to DONATE, then ask him for the track!

The owners of Crooklyn Clan.net said here scratchlive.net <- click:
Quote:
Be smart, wait for your buddy to DONATE, then ask him for the track!

Also they emphasized dozens of times that those tracks are for free. So technically, assuming everything is true what they said, there shouldnt be any legal issues with allen's idea.
DJJOHNNYM 9:05 PM - 2 January, 2007
Man, y'all buggin out...

Let's forget for a moment that these are REMIXED/MASHUP joints...

Let's pretend that they're regular songs, that you go out and buy.

IT'S ILLEGAL FOR YOU TO GIVE AWAY SONGS, unless you give away the COPY THAT YOU PURCHASED, and ALL OF THE COPIES YOU MADE OF THE SONG(backups), and "GIVE" it to whomever you wish.

Because technically, you can spend 20.00 bucks for a CD, and it's yours. If you make a copy for yourself THAT'S LEGAL. Hell you can make 100 copies for yourself, and THAT'S STILL LEGAL. The minute you "GIVE" that 1 COPY AWAY, without giving them ALL OF YOUR BACKUP COPIES, it's illegal.

Now factor in the fact that these REMIXES/MASHES aren't really "THEIRS", because they're remixing stuff w/out the artists or labels permission, YOU'RE REALLY setting yourself up for trouble...

Not to mention a BEATDOWN if they find you...lol.
nik39 9:21 PM - 2 January, 2007
Johnny, the owner is encouraging this by his posts. Also *assuming* they have the rights to offer those files, they say its for free, there is no (!) license agreement you sign when you download those files. So legally you are not going into a contract with any obligations, which means its okay to copy those files.

Its of course something different with normal CDs and online bought music, you sign a contract, where you agree not to copy+give away those tracks.

Quote:
Because technically, you can spend 20.00 bucks for a CD, and it's yours

Hm, well the CD is yours. The content is NOT yours. You just license the music.
vio0633 9:29 PM - 2 January, 2007
If they had a license agreement for their breaks and stuff wouldnt they not be asking for donations and selling it?
DJJOHNNYM 9:37 PM - 2 January, 2007
Quote:
Johnny, the owner is encouraging this by his posts. Also *assuming* they have the rights to offer those files, they say its for free, there is no (!) license agreement you sign when you download those files. So legally you are not going into a contract with any obligations, which means its okay to copy those files.

Its of course something different with normal CDs and online bought music, you sign a contract, where you agree not to copy+give away those tracks.

Quote:
Because technically, you can spend 20.00 bucks for a CD, and it's yours

Hm, well the CD is yours. The content is NOT yours. You just license the music.

Nik,
I understand exactly what your point is because you're just taking exactly what they're saying and applying it literally.

Let's assume that they have the LEGAL RIGHTS to the songs they USED to create the ones that they distribute, it would be GRAVY. But, who in their RIGHT MIND would want to give away some shit they CREATED for free? Unless it's just for "Promotional Purposes"...

And yes, you do LICENSE the CD for YOUR OWN PERSONAL USE, when you spend the 20.00 bucks. That's what I meant by "It's Yours".

If you truly "OWNED" the cd (and the content), then you could make as many copies as you want and give them out either for a FEE, OR FOR FREE.
nik39 9:42 PM - 2 January, 2007
Yeah, okay, obvious, I missed that ;)

However as they claim not to sell those tracks, just giving it away for free (to do that they MUST have the rights) I'll take it as that, which means allen's suggestion is fine.

If its not, then crooklyn clan is breaking the laws by offering those tracks, for money, for free, for donation, whatever.
DJJOHNNYM 11:30 PM - 2 January, 2007
Quote:
If its not, then crooklyn clan is breaking the laws by offering those tracks, for money, for free, for donation, whatever.

Now you get the picture...

It's not even a question, in a Court of Law. You have to think of an MP3 like a piece of vinyl to make it simple. You buy the vinyl, it's in your possession. If you want to "give" it away, you can, but you no longer have a copy of the vinyl, somebody else does....You can't REPRESS IT, and distribute copies, and if you make CASSETTE or CD COPIES for yourself (for backup), you must either give them TO THE PERSON you're "Giving" the vinyl to or destroy them.

Yes, you can't ask for a donation for something you had no business doing in the first place. Hell, you aren't even allowed to "GIVE" copies of it away - that's REDISTRIBUTION.

You can HOWEVER create as many MASHUPS/REMIXES as your little heart desires, and PLAY THEM at the VENUE YOU ARE AT OR WHEREVER YOU PLAY, but you can't sell, or give them away.

Remember when you could only hear certain MIXES at CERTAIN CLUBS or RADIO STATIONS? That's how it's SUPPOSED to be. But in the Internet Age, that's pretty much a wrap.

Don't sleep, the DIGITAL MEDIA PEOPLE are steadfastly trying to get a handle on that shit, quick fast and in a hurry....

Did you know they tried to slip CD BURNERS into computers that AUTOMATICALLY WOULD NOT DUPLICATE COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL, and that shit was built into the FIRMWARE? There were hella protests, and the computer companies changed that up, but once they get it so that ALL COMPUTER COMPANIES or CD BURNER MANUFACTURERS have to comply...It will be a WRAP. That's probably not even a big issue now, because mostly everything is in MP3 format, and they have to find a way to TAG and combat that universally.
Audio1 1:25 AM - 3 January, 2007
here we go again!
DJ F Sharp 1:34 AM - 3 January, 2007
For spreading around Mashups/Remixes for free see

"Fair Use" under US Copyright Policy. if the shoe fits, go ahead.
allenbina 3:25 AM - 3 January, 2007
regardless of what anyone thinks, ive cleared the legality of it and theres already 5 people in. if we get 5 more, and each person gives 30 bucks for donations, we're taking almost everything.
That Guy 1 3:46 AM - 3 January, 2007
This is funny.
Crickett 11:56 AM - 3 January, 2007
Yo--Fuck the bullshit...NEXT THREAD PLEASE!!!
That Guy 1 4:54 PM - 3 January, 2007
Quote:
Yo--Fuck the bullshit...NEXT THREAD PLEASE!!!

"Don't be hatin'!"

--B-Rad
Crickett 5:25 PM - 3 January, 2007
I don't hate...I just say...NEXT THREAD PLEASE!!!
Thats my motto, Really.
sG 8:20 PM - 3 January, 2007
so let me get this straight... you want to share the crooklyn clan songs for a selected few who have donated? hah! does the money put in also account for anything new from that point on?
allenbina 11:17 PM - 3 January, 2007
its a co-op. everyone pools their money together, everyone gets the same shit. assume theres 10 people. each person puts in the same money. we use the cumulative bank to buy as many songs as we choose / vote / however we do it. we all have access to them. since i dont want to police this, im assuming everyone is being honest here. some people dont want their names disclosed, fine, but everyone pays. simple as that.

ps: Theres already more than 10 people interested, holla.
dj garcia 2:04 AM - 4 January, 2007
I already own many tracks lets do it ...
dj skiggz 2:10 AM - 4 January, 2007
they have a lot of shitty tracks on there. but im in
sG 3:04 AM - 4 January, 2007
This reminds me of back in high school.. round 98ish before people outside nerds knew how to download shared music. Me and my friend made some awesome lunch money selling bootlegged mix cds that pretty much were like the NOW compilations. And then suddenly people started bootlegging my bootlegs.. man I was pissed, for like two seconds. Somehow I feel like this story is somewhat related to this situation.
DJBlisk 3:34 AM - 4 January, 2007
I'm in and i'll add a lot of whitelabel stuff that they don't have!
djdannyc 4:00 AM - 4 January, 2007
allenbina & Nik,

How old are you guys??? Let this go already...

You need to keep in mind that everyone can look at what we all post here... Record label reps and other industry people...
Serato, Support
Matt G 5:04 AM - 4 January, 2007
Quote:
regardless of what anyone thinks, ive cleared the legality of it and theres already 5 people in. if we get 5 more, and each person gives 30 bucks for donations, we're taking almost everything.

I don't think you have cleared the legality of it. As it is the legality of the Crooklyn Clan tracks is not clear (ie they have not come out and said that they have explicit permission to distribute granted to them by labels). And even if Crooklyn Clan *do* legally have the right to distribute those tracks to you and other DJs, that doesn't give you any legal right to distribute them further.

I would appreciate it if you took this discussion elsewhere and didn't continue it at this site. It's increasingly sounding like organising of illegal file trading, and that's simply not acceptable here.
Serato, Support
Matt G 5:05 AM - 4 January, 2007
Thread locked.