Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

What do you want to see in Version 1.8?

mexicannnnnn 11:10 AM - 2 January, 2007
Now that 1.7 has hit beta and the features are pretty much set (unless something comes out of a new beta..), what do you guys want to see next down the pipe?

Whats your top 3?

1. PnT
2. 3rd "int" deck using internal soundcard
3. Ability to use 2 SL units on 1 computer
Daim 12:39 PM - 2 January, 2007
1. Removeable
2. Beamatching
3. Display

so i can finally use my monitor again while mixing
Kex Kuger 12:59 PM - 2 January, 2007
I only have one I can think of...that's scrolling through tracks using the joystick instead of the turning knob on the ttm57. Is that even possible? That and more effects!
Slick MF 1:16 PM - 2 January, 2007
(1) Options for 3rd and 4th decks
(2) Upgrade to Firewire 800 (twice the through-put of USB2)
(3) Support for 24-bit/96k
dj disturbed 1:17 PM - 2 January, 2007
A cup holder!!!!!!
Dj Different 1:30 PM - 2 January, 2007
1. More id3-tags (or whatever tag type applicable on chosen codec), at least the rating tag.
2. FLAC support (or any other free/open lossless codec)
3. More control over the GUI (turn on/off waveforms, skinnability, etc)
vio0633 1:44 PM - 2 January, 2007
1. Split Cue option for the TTM57
2. More effects for the TTM57
3. Allow Tracks when moved to the prepare window to not be deleted when you exit the program
4. Make the GUI not so jittery and allow more control over apperance and functionality
dj disturbed 1:45 PM - 2 January, 2007
Quote:

3. More control over the GUI (turn on/off waveforms, skinnability, etc)

yeah skinnability would be nice. that way we can customize the way it looks to fit our personalities!!! WE got color vinyl.. now lets be able to make the program look like our own too!!!
vio0633 4:49 PM - 2 January, 2007
Mixer, Vinyl, and Gui all match? Hell yeah!
Monk-A 5:10 PM - 2 January, 2007
1: SSL to generate a Midi Click, and Midi Learn for the Controls.
2: third Deck option.
nik39 6:50 PM - 2 January, 2007
SSL
1. Crate management (sub/smart crates, album art browser), link crates to folders.
2. Equalizer, settings are stored per track/file
3. Right click

***extended list:
4. Ability to listen, set cues, order etc tracks w/o the S-S-L box attached to it.
5. Extended/combined relative and absolute mode so I can use loops/edits in "absolute" mode as well (I hate using relative mode cause I need to fiddle around with the mouse to jump
6. Loops with adjustable cycle number, so that can do real edits inside S-S-L ***

TTM57SL
1. Allow the promised mixtape mode, meaning being able to use SSL *and* the ASIO devices at the same time, so you can record both PGMs postfader at the same time *while* using ScratchLIVE
2. Effects controled with footswitch
3. Being able to use for example the kill-buttons as normal controls (I never use the kill buttons)
mexicannnnnn 7:25 PM - 2 January, 2007
Quote:
2: third Deck option.

Oh I forgot all about Midi.. replace Midi with my number 3.
musiclee 8:41 PM - 2 January, 2007
i'd like autoplay to swap between 2 decks, and crossfade
i know most are club dj's...
but i'm more a wedding, sweet 16, etc.
and i need to play background music for first hour,

i currently use PCDJ for this, which works great
just set to autopilot, and have the crossfade set at 15 sec, and that's it.
relax and drink.

support for midi controllers like Novation Remote SL,
this would ROCK...

naming CUE points

displaing song bitrate, (don't remember seeing this)
and have ability to display it or not in Config.

ability to CUE to a point, without having it play at all.
pressing the 1-5, actually plays your cue for the amount of time you hold it, so even a tap will play a bit of song, which i don't want..

P&T like otheres asked.
change tempo keep pitch which we have in 1.7 (can be improved)
change pitch, keep tempo (harmonic mixing)
Menace 9:43 PM - 2 January, 2007
1. Tracks shouldn`t turn green if just pre-listening ( www.scratchlive.net )
2. better skipless mode ( www.scratchlive.net )
3. auto loops / fixed loops ( www.scratchlive.net )
DJPozzi 9:43 PM - 2 January, 2007
1. date and time stamp. (that way i would know when i played a song last. This is great for radio jocks)

2. Crossfade option with auto play.

3. Some fx would be nice

pozzi ;)
Idlemind1999 11:09 PM - 2 January, 2007
Nice suggestions there..

I'd like....

1. More robust browsing options (Ability to hold down ctrl and select several BROWSE attributes, (like R&B, POP, HIP HOP along with a BPM Range 96-99)

2. A modular GUI. Able to disable/remove/rearrange certain GUI elements.

3. "Crippled Mode" where you can have one deck, no effects, no pitch, Internal mode only for setting cue points, BPMs and loops. with out the SSL box connected

4. True Mixtape Mode

5. Third Deck

6. MIDI time
society 12:09 AM - 3 January, 2007
1. MIDI
2. P'n'T
3. Crates linked to folders
4. 3rd INT deck (such a good idea, mex!)
paulheu 12:10 AM - 3 January, 2007
VST and MIDI support
Dr0p 12:42 AM - 3 January, 2007
We should be able to jump in relative mode. (This should be relative to the point the track started.)

Also it was mentioned somewhere that if the needle is put back at the start of the record the song should start over. I agree with this. I think it should stay in relative mode.
Mrq 1:29 AM - 3 January, 2007
Quote:
VST and MIDI support
skinnyguy 2:35 AM - 3 January, 2007
split cue for ttm57
echo in ttm57 go to 100% for a looping effect
vocoder for ttm57
bit crusher for ttm57

and i guess video would be nice
Chita79 3:03 AM - 3 January, 2007
i like the suggestions above....but the main feature i see being very useful for those of us with large music collections would be to not have SSL be so dependent on where a file is (basicaly keep all the links in the database for a file regardless of what folder its in).... thats huge to me, and i noticed many others on the forum who also agree with that! thanks :)
Dj-Motion 4:18 AM - 3 January, 2007
PnT.

Effects that you can use.

loops in 1/4,1/2 etc..

Crates linked to folders thats a good idea

Being able to use for example the kill-buttons as normal controls

Ability to listen, set cues, order etc tracks w/o the S-S-L box attached to it.

split cue for ttm57
musiclee 4:24 AM - 3 January, 2007
i like idlemind1999's suggestion on "cripplemode"
that did occur to me once

it would be great to be on the train, or at someones house, or wherever, and be able to at least open up serato, and set CUE points, etc., at least via one player, as he suggested.
without having to take the Rane MP4 or other mixer which is permanently installed in my rack.

and yes, being able to drag a main folder which has a subfolder, and have crates, subcrates automatically assined, as others suggested...
musiclee 4:25 AM - 3 January, 2007
keep th ideas coming.
hopefully the Serato team is listening.
and hopefully they are hard at work on version 1.8 :-)
digital_steve 6:08 AM - 3 January, 2007
Quote:
4. Ability to listen, set cues, order etc tracks w/o the S-S-L box attached to it.
5. Extended/combined relative and absolute mode so I can use loops/edits in "absolute" mode as well (I hate using relative mode cause I need to fiddle around with the mouse to jump
6. Loops with adjustable cycle number, so that can do real edits inside S-S-L

Word
+ midi clock and auto-looping functions for on-the-fly creativity!
stockie 6:46 AM - 3 January, 2007
what i would suggest, is not to make the program to complicated by adding all these features that not everyone will, hence taking up CPU time and resources. The product is almost perfect (hence you can never be perfect, then there would be no more releases of Serato). What you guys should look at doing is patch installs. So what you would have is the basic serato application, then have like a "auto bpm indicator" batch, were if you were after a bmp indicator to show up in serato, you would just download that patch and install it, and away it goes.

i use serato just for the basic's. i probably wont use the effect functions and things like that (as im sure many others wont either, but im also sure that you will have ppl that will love that function), that is why i probably wont upgrade to the latest version. im running 1.6.2 and im loving it. it does what i need it to do, and when i need it to do.

i dont know if that would be more work for you guys or not, but probably something you guys can think about.

Thats my 2 cents..
keep up the great work guys.
All the best in 07
djaleksei 7:03 AM - 3 January, 2007
FX (filters, beat effects & delay) & MIDI control!!!
ekwipt 7:23 AM - 3 January, 2007
1. Midi for all controls
2. Auto/seamless looping functions
3. VST FX for both channels
4. Smart Crates (drag and drop whole folders with sub folders and make an identical copy in Serato)
5. Ability to see another laptops track/waveform info for playing tag team Serato or four deck to laptop

(either that or the ability to hook up two SL1 to the one laptop, but even i think that might be asking for two much... the same for 3rd deck on the internal soundcard.... not happening)
ekwipt 7:25 AM - 3 January, 2007
Bloody cool my post got posted 6 posts above where it should have been..... or did i just go through a time space continuum....
ekwipt 7:26 AM - 3 January, 2007
Again.......... should have been after this one Rane Mod.....

djaleksei
report | quoteJanuary 3, 2007, 11:41 AM
1. FX with midi control (per deck) (or VST Support with MIDI)
2. Auto/Seamless Loop, 16/8/4/2/1 etc.
3. Internal 3rd deck with beatsync to playing deck
4. Smart crates
5. Alphabetical sorting of crates or sub crates
6. Ability to select and move multiple crates at once

After we have these features, scratch live will be unrivaled.
Mixmaster T 7:57 AM - 3 January, 2007
TTM57SL wishlist!
1. when scrolling for tracks on the 57sl the list expands for like 2 seconds, then it shrinks on you again, very annoying. Needs to have a longer delay or a customizable #secs delay in setup.

2. SL1 mode for the TTM57SL

3. The ability to assign any control on the mixer, any function in serato.
digital_steve 8:12 AM - 3 January, 2007
Quote:
FX (filters, beat effects & delay) & MIDI control!!!

Get a 57SL! Already has that sans midi control.
DJ Jinnai 9:12 AM - 3 January, 2007
1. VIDEO (mpg, avi, xvid, mkv, whatever)

2. 1/1 1/2 1/4 1/8 loop effect in REL mode (like on the Pioneer CDJs)

3. Being able to look into 2 or more crates at once.
DJ-Fred 9:37 AM - 3 January, 2007
the top 3 things that would really be nice:
1- automatic loop. I used to have finalscratch 2.0 but turned to rane because of it's stability (FS2.0 crashed once, which is one too many in a club...) I was using traktor 3.0.2 and it has a easy to use option where you can simply click and the track automatically find the closest lap and loops itself non stop every 4 laps, Now that feature made it soo sweet it made it extremely hard to switch over to serato. I'm sure the good guys at rane will come out with that excellent feature soon if they haven't already (I'm still new at this)
2- a dual monitor support!! Yeah I know I'm dreamin in nerd land, but for home used it'd be sweet! you can see more tracks, make the main board bigger
3- ...Hmmm I dunno, diffrent background, screen colors... I dunno I could just think of 2 LOL
musiclee 10:25 AM - 3 January, 2007
BIGGER Waveforms that can be displayed Horizontally across the entire screen, which can be resized vertically as well
Osiris 10:26 AM - 3 January, 2007
1. MIDI
2. Crippled Mode (to set cue points and loops w/out the SSL box)
3. Crates linked to folders
4. 3rd INT deck

Not really in that order or any particular order for that matter... Just wants... ;)
Konix 11:02 AM - 3 January, 2007
Quote:
BIGGER Waveforms that can be displayed Horizontally across the entire screen, which can be resized vertically as well

If you have a widescreen laptop, increasing the audio cache will increase the horizontal waveform size to fill up the screen. Obviously not verticle waveforms though.
djaleksei 11:41 AM - 3 January, 2007
1. FX with midi control (per deck) (or VST Support with MIDI)
2. Auto/Seamless Loop, 16/8/4/2/1 etc.
3. Internal 3rd deck with beatsync to playing deck
4. Smart crates
5. Alphabetical sorting of crates or sub crates
6. Ability to select and move multiple crates at once

After we have these features, scratch live will be unrivaled.
DJ MouseAT 2:19 PM - 3 January, 2007
1. Lossless codec support. Preferably FLAC, as it's a completely open standard, and therefore gives me more flexibility. Failing that, I could live with Apple Lossless.

2. Allow tracks to be sorted by more than one category. I want to view my tracks by artist, followed by title. I don't find tracks by album or track number, so I don't want my tracks sorted by those two fields.

3. Don't change the colour of a track until I either unload the other player, or (in the case of the last track played), close Serato. Oh, and give us the option to right-click a track and mark it as unplayed please.

These three things are my only remaining gripes with SSL right now. If you can sort these problems, SSL will, for me, be absolutely perfect.
djsnoopie 4:44 PM - 3 January, 2007
How about prepare lists that can be loaded from and saved to file?
Corex 7:33 PM - 3 January, 2007
hell, i think its good as it is.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 7:58 PM - 3 January, 2007
1. AAC file support
2. Soft links / Crates linked to folders
3. Midi

My wish list :)
derby 8:22 PM - 3 January, 2007
Quote:
1. AAC file support
2. Soft links / Crates linked to folders
3. Midi

My wish list :)

you're a bad man. =)
bush 9:35 PM - 3 January, 2007
1. 3rd virtual deck
2. Auto beat loop
3. Pan and eq knobs
Pellefant 9:43 PM - 3 January, 2007
I would love to have a "auto-shutdown" feature when building overviews. In that way, I could start building the overviews before I go to bed, and when the building is complete, SSL shuts down the computer for me.
ekwipt 1:34 AM - 4 January, 2007
1. Midi for all controls
2. Auto/seamless looping functions
3. VST FX for both channels
4. Smart Crates (drag and drop whole folders with sub folders and make an identical copy in Serato)
5. Ability to see another laptops track/waveform data from an outside source info for playing tag team Serato or four deck to laptop
6. FLAC and AAC support
ekalb 2:05 AM - 4 January, 2007
1) prelistening turns yellow/red for a preset time(15-30seconds) and if you go past the preset time it turns green

2) close the playlist/crate menu so the main library can extend across

3) with interface disconnected one internal virtual deck that will play through my onboard sound card so i can setup cue points, markers and loops (phone calls faxes e-mail etc etc)

4) ADJUSTABLE FONTS SIZES
Dr0p 7:39 PM - 4 January, 2007
It would be nice to be able to prepare music for a specific deck.
djkevinz 3:02 AM - 5 January, 2007
1) Tracks shouldn't turn green if pre-listening, selectable time-based or load-the-other-deck-based www.scratchlive.net
2) Subcrates
3) NO EFFECTS/EQs/SAMPLERS

3) ability to turn off the beatmatching displays
3) support for the Allen&Heath Xone3D www.xone.co.uk (yeah I know it probably won't happen but wouldn't that be flippin' sweet) although maybe if MIDI were supported?
derby 3:22 AM - 5 January, 2007
Quote:

2) Subcrates

i take it you haven't seen the 1.7 betas. =)

Quote:
3) support for the Allen&Heath Xone3D www.xone.co.uk (yeah I know it probably won't happen but wouldn't that be flippin' sweet) although maybe if MIDI were supported?

midi support in general would cover that. i don't expect to see that appear until a 2.x release, though.
Monk-A 8:49 AM - 5 January, 2007
Quote:
It would be nice to be able to prepare music for a specific deck.

can you explain further please?
Bambaata 2:26 PM - 5 January, 2007
1) Flac Flac!!! Its about timeb this was looked at properly
2) 3rd Deck (wud have to be internal though unless a new box)
3) If files moved from location ability to show Serato where to find them (or is this possible already?)
4) BPM from Tags using decimal points (it doesn't like them now i hear)
Bambaata 2:28 PM - 5 January, 2007
oh yeah and very importantly 5) Ability to clear 1 track from green back to white if put on and decided not to play it then etc rather than have to clear all
boy2k 2:35 PM - 5 January, 2007
Ability to pitch up the default 0 via the software so the decks can play something apart from -8/+8
e.g. change 0 to +8 so that deck speed range is 0/+16 instead of -8/+8
DJ Jinnai 8:33 AM - 6 January, 2007
in addition to pong....

1. Tetris (left turntable rotate block , right table move block)
2. Snake (control snake with either table)
3. Super Breakout (control bar with either table)

hehehe
Toby82 11:01 AM - 6 January, 2007
1) FLAC
2) 4 Decks with ability to swich which pair of decks should be controlled by the 2 inputs (And later on maybe a SL2 with 4 inputs)
3) crates linked to direcotry
4) Crossfade option with auto play
5) ability to slelect more than one crate simultaniously
DJ-Fred 9:10 PM - 6 January, 2007
Am I the only one who thinks the virtual vinyls on the screen are pretty much close to useless except taking ALOT of space on the screen for the important stuff like the track display. Their should be an option to unlock the view so that you can resize the apearance, just so you can minimize to the smallest possible the stuff thats not really of any direct use
DjWoody 9:15 PM - 6 January, 2007
1.- Ability to switch laptops without having to play regular vinyl or CD's.

2.- Auto/Seemless Instant Loops like on the CDJ 800.

3.- Save Set Playlist. SSL Can't record your set cause you're controling it from an external mixer, but at least it should be able to save your set playlist.

4.- Songs shouldn't turn green right away (when previewing them). We should also have the ability to reset them, or do we already have that?

5.- Right-click Controls for indiviual tracks while mixing. On other words, let say someone hands you a flash drive in the middle of your set with a HOT Song on it. You should be able to put it in your library, right click the track, and select from the drop down menu BUILD OVERVIEW, AUTO BPM, AUTO GAIN, MP3 TAGS, etc. This feature should also let you do this to multiple tracks at once.
DjWoody 9:16 PM - 6 January, 2007
Quote:
Am I the only one who thinks the virtual vinyls on the screen are pretty much close to useless except taking ALOT of space on the screen for the important stuff like the track display. Their should be an option to unlock the view so that you can resize the apearance, just so you can minimize to the smallest possible the stuff thats not really of any direct use

I agree. I like the CDJ Display better. Maybe SSL could incorporate a CDJ type of Display that takes less room, rather than the virtual vinyl.
MrGoodie2shoes 3:04 PM - 7 January, 2007
My top 2

1. Ability to listen, set cues, order etc tracks w/o the S-S-L box attached to it.

2. Allow the promised mixtape mode, meaning being able to use SSL *and* the ASIO devices at the same time, so you can record both PGMs postfader at the same time *while* using ScratchLIVE
Pellefant 10:19 PM - 7 January, 2007
I'm using Rapid Evolution software to detect the key of every song. It would be great if SL could display the key-tag along with the usual information (so I can sort songs according to key).
ekwipt 12:53 AM - 8 January, 2007
Quote:
I'm using Rapid Evolution software to detect the key of every song. It would be great if SL could display the key-tag along with the usual information (so I can sort songs according to key).

Just put your keytags into the comment field
digital_steve 1:27 AM - 8 January, 2007
Quote:

Go into options and find the serato option. Writes key and keycode information to the 'grouping' ID3 tag, this can be used in SSL.
djwhynot 2:29 AM - 8 January, 2007
video
concorde_pilot 7:02 PM - 8 January, 2007
1. small sampler buttons for drops with the computers regular line-out
2. option to disable the beatmatch-displays
DJ Mo Rada 7:13 PM - 8 January, 2007
I like it just the way it is, reliable

If anything id suggest that whatever CPU intensive features are implemented are given the option to be disabled to keep things stable if need be.
DJPozzi 12:10 AM - 9 January, 2007
Quote:
If anything id suggest that whatever CPU intensive features are implemented are given the option to be disabled to keep things stable if need be.

I second that. Options to enable and disable certain features would be great.
Wildstylus 1:02 AM - 9 January, 2007
1. Show the Mp3 bitrate in the browser

2. Allow multitrack recording of the two channels at the same time, saved to 2 separate files
digital_steve 1:24 AM - 9 January, 2007
New control vinyl with locked grooves controlling loops within SSL.

I also put this on the control vinyl topic, but i think it's such a great idea it should be here too.

Go me.
derby 2:09 AM - 9 January, 2007
Quote:
1. Show the Mp3 bitrate in the browser

it's already there, just enable that column.
nik39 2:12 AM - 9 January, 2007
I think he means the import browser, when you click on import.
Dj K.Smith 6:14 PM - 9 January, 2007
1. Video
2. Video
3. Video
4. More effects for the 57sl
5. Video
Dj K.Smith 6:16 PM - 9 January, 2007
And info for the 57sl when you click on the "?" icon. It only gives keyboard shortcuts...
DJ Jinnai 6:17 PM - 9 January, 2007
Quote:
1. Video
2. Video
3. Video
4. More effects for the 57sl
5. Video

You forgot to mention video LOL
dj disturbed 7:15 PM - 9 January, 2007
no video... its overrated.. turns your dance floor into zombies stairing at the screen...

I would like to see one deck being albe to be used without the sl1 box hooked up (not a third deck) to use for preveiwing tracks/ setting up loops and cue points without having to set up your whole system through the computers system sound.

Instant loops (1-2-4-8-16-32 beat loops) at a touch of a button

More Colored Vinyl control records in more colors!!!!!!!
^^Maybe custom designs (like the picture vinyl some of my EDM vinyl is in)......ok now im just dreaming!!
AKIEM 7:50 PM - 9 January, 2007
video. maybe not so good for the party
video. is THE shit for shows
concorde_pilot 8:22 PM - 9 January, 2007
Quote:
no video... its overrated.. turns your dance floor into zombies stairing at the screen...

I would like to see one deck being albe to be used without the sl1 box hooked up (not a third deck) to use for preveiwing tracks/ setting up loops and cue points without having to set up your whole system through the computers system sound.

Instant loops (1-2-4-8-16-32 beat loops) at a touch of a button

More Colored Vinyl control records in more colors!!!!!!!
^^Maybe custom designs (like the picture vinyl some of my EDM vinyl is in)......ok now im just dreaming!!
i agree with you in all points
DJ-Fred 2:00 AM - 10 January, 2007
Im guessing that auto loop will be the next feature, I reeeeally hope Im right.

but serious, the display needs a facelift, the virtual record and song names on top are way too big
AKIEM 4:20 AM - 10 January, 2007
I think its video
paulheu 11:19 AM - 10 January, 2007
IMO it would be a good idea to create a solid and useable plugin system (with SDK) so stuff like Video, VST, MIDI could be implemented as needed while users who do not need/want these features can keep their system sleek and clean..
Dj Brian V. 1:15 PM - 10 January, 2007
I would like to see a feature where you can tap your bpm in serato and it will automatically change in your itunes folder, sort of vice versa, like how you create a bpm in your itunes, and if checked in your serato setup "read itunes library" it will show the bpm in serato. But i would like to do it in reverse by tapping the bpm on serato and automatically changing in your itunes as well!
concorde_pilot 2:48 PM - 10 January, 2007
Quote:
IMO it would be a good idea to create a solid and useable plugin system (with SDK) so stuff like Video, VST, MIDI could be implemented as needed while users who do not need/want these features can keep their system sleek and clean..
i agree
derby 3:10 PM - 10 January, 2007
Quote:
I would like to see a feature where you can tap your bpm in serato and it will automatically change in your itunes folder, sort of vice versa, like how you create a bpm in your itunes, and if checked in your serato setup "read itunes library" it will show the bpm in serato. But i would like to do it in reverse by tapping the bpm on serato and automatically changing in your itunes as well!

if you set the bpm in serato, it writes to the bpm tag and itunes will display it after it re-reads the tag (by playing or viewing track info).
dj disturbed 5:21 PM - 10 January, 2007
Quote:

that already in 1.6.3.. iTunes just needs to re-read the tags in some way or anouther.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Anouther thing i would like (wich i said earlier) is skinnable interface.. then we can chage the color of the program to whatever... or even make custom designs!
concorde_pilot 6:53 PM - 10 January, 2007
i think a colour-changeable design would be enough (like you can colour the record labels but thats a nice idea...
Daim 7:46 PM - 10 January, 2007
yeah possible colour changes would be pretty nice
NdB 8:38 PM - 10 January, 2007
Must admit - I think the best suggestions on here are limiting things rather than adding new features!

The killer feature for me would definately be to add the 'cripple mode' for 57/ssl-less setting up of tracks. One deck, no pitch slider, maybe even low bitrate playback on low bitrate tracks, as long as you can set your cues, loops, label colours and preview tracks to sort into crates without the default media player popping up over the top for every track you play....

The other thing I'd like to see is the option so switch off the beatmatching display to stop me relying on it when practicing. Still, that's nothing a piece of paper overt the middle of the screen can't fix!
society 9:00 PM - 10 January, 2007
Quote:
I think its video

Really? Before MIDI?
musiclee 9:14 PM - 10 January, 2007
both are important, but

PLEASE, GIVE US MIDI (not shouting, just excited)

imagine the possibilities,
any midi controller, novation remote SL, Allen & Heath Xone 3D,

MIDI controllers is where its at, and Serato should really jump on this.

it can only benefit them , BIG time, in the long run
musiclee 9:15 PM - 10 January, 2007
imagine being ablt to "map" any shortcut, function, etc, to ANY midi controller.

now that's some creative power waiting to be had
musiclee 9:21 PM - 10 January, 2007
oh, by the way,

my Novation Remote Remote Zero is mounted in my rack, ready to map Serato,

i can't wait to change crates, scroll my songs up and down via endless knobs, changing pitch via sliders, volumes would be nice too, going instantly to any cue on both decks..

for those that have not seen this novation controlle check it out, it is AWESOME...

www.novationmusic.com

hope it's ok to post links to other products

last thing Serato, don't forget your "Automap" for this controller :-)
dj disturbed 9:49 PM - 10 January, 2007
there are ways to use you midi controller with it now.... you just have to have a 3rd party program to map the midi controlls to keyboard keys..... not full midi support... but will still give you some use for your midi controller
mexicannnnnn 10:17 PM - 10 January, 2007
Lets stick to the top 3 guys.
rossontheweb 11:50 PM - 10 January, 2007
Normalizer to even out the irregularities of digital music recordings...

This sounds amazing in clubs when you've been playing all night - the atmosphere is electric as you can push the volume and clarity of the clubs sound system to the peak.

Yeah!
musiclee 4:37 AM - 11 January, 2007
mexicannnnn

you want me to stick to my top 3 ?

no problem

1. Midi Support for Midi Controllers

musiclee 4:38 AM - 11 January, 2007
oopss, i meant to # them 1, 2, 3
mexicannnnnn 4:58 AM - 11 January, 2007
lol!

Yeah Midi would be good.
musiclee 5:24 AM - 11 January, 2007
no, Midi would not be good

it would be GREAT :-)
mixjockey 5:27 PM - 11 January, 2007
-AAC support (including DRM)
-key correction
-Asio and Core Audio Drivers
-Split Cue for TTM 57SL

If you dont do this serato, somebody else will (look at m-audio...)
Konix 5:38 PM - 11 January, 2007
Quote:

Maybe aac support, but don't count on DRM'd aac support anytime soon, if ever.

Quote:
-key correction

Key lock is already in 1.7. Unless you mean key/pitch shifting?
derby 6:50 PM - 11 January, 2007
Quote:
-key correction
-Asio and Core Audio Drivers
-Split Cue for TTM 57SL

If you dont do this serato, somebody else will (look at m-audio...)

you think that m-audio is going to add split-cue to your serato-enabled mixer? =/
bendeisel 9:36 PM - 11 January, 2007
1) 3rd Int Deck
2) Moveable GUI
3) More access to free music

KKGO
Dj-Motion 1:47 AM - 12 January, 2007
more configurable faders.......xfader is to sharp/ plus the dip needs to be fixed
ekwipt 7:03 AM - 12 January, 2007
Quote:

you think that m-audio is going to add split-cue to your serato-enabled mixer? =/

ROFL
Dan Gorman 3:07 AM - 13 January, 2007
DRM'd AAC won't happen until Apple license FairPlay. That won't happen any time soon.

I've been ripping my m4p's to cd (through itunes) and reimporting them. Use a cd-rw so that you can use 1 cd and not trash cd over cd.

** I would like to see support for more than 2 decks in SSL. Not sure how it would work and still be easy to use.

** I would like to see the layout a little more customizable. (e.g) make the font a bit bigger if you have a large screen.
ekwipt 5:05 AM - 13 January, 2007
Version 2.0, able to plug two SL1 in one laptop and have four decks visible......
djnoble 9:45 AM - 13 January, 2007
1.8 needs a drag and drop sampler that plays out the line out of ya lap top ,a serato midi sampler that workss with the 99$ mpd 16 mpc pads!!! thats all i want for serato! and thats it im good after that!!
Seasinz 6:17 AM - 14 January, 2007
Quote:

TTM57SL
1. Allow the promised mixtape mode, meaning being able to use SSL *and* the ASIO devices at the same time, so you can record both PGMs postfader at the same time *while* using ScratchLIVE
3. Being able to use for example the kill-buttons as normal controls (I never use the kill buttons)

1 is definitely on the top of my list.

I like 3 too, itd be nice to be able to assign the filters to the corresponding kill buttons, high pass on the high kill (or low pass on the high kill). Maybe have it auto enter the fx group when a kill is pressed so you have instant access to the freq and mix settings, optionally of course.

flac/nero aac support

any sort of midi/rewire

option to have pitch carried over when using instant doubles.

and maybe an option to automatically turn on the x-fader reverse switch when input reverse is used. and mayyybe an auto channel swap option for the input reverse as well.
CMega 12:10 AM - 15 January, 2007
I'm happy with everything I have right now in serato. I'd like the ability to remove the waveform display.
davewhite 4:00 AM - 15 January, 2007
1) Full Support for Digital Mixing (DJM-1000, CDJ-1000MK3, Digital Cables (24-bit/96k) )

(have to say only use the program for pushing music over the CDJs. But all connectors are analog cable.)

2) More Digital Deck Supports. 4 CDJs at least.

3) Customize Skin

4) Cusom Font Size and Type. !!!!!!!
Dj K-Trix 3:11 PM - 15 January, 2007
1. MIDI Support.
2. Crippled Mode. Ability set cue points & loops without having to hook up the SL1.
3. Effects : Some basic stuff for the people that dont have effects on their mixer or arent able to pay another 500 - 1000 $ for an effects box. Im thinking simple effects like the one on my numark cdx which are pretty useless if u use timecode cd, since it distorts the signal :-)
concorde_pilot 4:00 PM - 15 January, 2007
Quote:

2. Crippled Mode. Ability set cue points & loops without having to hook up the SL1.
this is a good idea...
mexicannnnnn 2:54 AM - 16 January, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

this is a good idea...

Very good idea!
The Axledental DJ 7:01 AM - 16 January, 2007
1. Create a Rane MP44SL, for 4 decks with SSL (using USB 2.0 or Firewire). Or a MP24SL.

2. Compatibility with the Denon HD2500 (native support) for an external controller with SSL.

3. Live Auto-BPM counting and a Build overview button with software and hardware on.
DJ Jinnai 8:46 AM - 16 January, 2007
4. Print option for Crate Lists!
ekwipt 12:37 PM - 16 January, 2007
Number of tracks selected vs whole crate
djkevinz 3:29 PM - 16 January, 2007
How about an SL2 (2 channel) where you can daisy-chain an SL1, and the SL2 will carry the 4-deck info back to serato?
dj skraps 4:02 PM - 16 January, 2007
I agree with DJ Jinnai....print option for crate list as a matter a fact to be able to print your whole library.

Also if you could see total number of songs in library.
dj skraps 4:04 PM - 16 January, 2007
Oh yeah....Axledental Dj hit it right on the head with #3. live auto-bpm counting...good one my friend.
DJPozzi 4:15 PM - 16 January, 2007
Another one from me would be asio drivers!! So I could use my SL1 for other things than just serato. Saves having to carry 2 sound cards.

A crossfade in auto mode would be great. For those times when a toilet stop is needed or even for early on in the night at a wedding etc.

Time stamp for when a song was last played.

Ability to print off a crate list
djaleksei 1:41 AM - 17 January, 2007
abillity to select multiple crates at once (for moving etc.) and exporting your serato library.
DJ-Fred 5:35 AM - 17 January, 2007
do you guys really need 4 decks? serious! How many DJ's use 4 decks? Not enough for them to put that on the 1st to do list
murjONE 6:20 AM - 17 January, 2007
1. Crippled mode.

2. Tetris. w/ crippled mode support

3. Display Full screen wave forms on a second display
(so i can hook the second dispaly output up to a digital projector or big hdtv so the listeners can see the music being mixed as well as hear it, plus it will give people a sense of what sounds are being mixed and what are part of the same track.)
DJ Jinnai 6:23 AM - 17 January, 2007
Quote:
I agree with DJ Jinnai....print option for crate list as a matter a fact to be able to print your whole library.

Yeah, especially when someone wants to see what songs they can request...just hand them over a notebook instead of your laptop.
DJ Jinnai 6:25 AM - 17 January, 2007
Quote:
Oh yeah....Axledental Dj hit it right on the head with #3. live auto-bpm counting...good one my friend.

Like a live-normalizer....that would work for me!
derby 1:40 PM - 17 January, 2007
Quote:

Quote:
Yeah, especially when someone wants to see what songs they can request...just hand them over a notebook instead of your laptop.

you can actually do this as an export through itunes.

it includes the following fields:

Name Artist Composer Album Grouping Genre Size Time Disc Number Disc Count Track Number Track Count Year Date Modified Date Added Bit Rate Sample Rate Volume Adjustment Kind Equalizer Comments Play Count Last Played Skip Count Last Skipped My Rating Location
kennykickin 3:44 PM - 17 January, 2007
No Popping when mixing.

File suddenly deleting.

NO BEATMATCHING! Come on now.....Their has to be some talent when using this software.

Drink holder.

haha.

LOVE SL!

USB DROPOUTS are really upsetting me. I went to better needles, now I am going to a better cable. Hope this works.
Dj Coy 7:57 AM - 18 January, 2007
Quote:
3. Live Auto-BPM counting and a Build overview button with software and hardware on.

Definitely this...

And a fix for the loop lag it has on the Denon S5000...
DJ Jinnai 10:17 AM - 18 January, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

you can actually do this as an export through itunes.

it includes the following fields:

Name Artist Composer Album Grouping Genre Size Time Disc Number Disc Count Track Number Track Count Year Date Modified Date Added Bit Rate Sample Rate Volume Adjustment Kind Equalizer Comments Play Count Last Played Skip Count Last Skipped My Rating Location

Thats the thing... I don't really want to go through the Itunes Way.
Dax 11:06 AM - 18 January, 2007
Quote:
1) Flac Flac!!! Its about timeb this was looked at properly
2) 3rd Deck (wud have to be internal though unless a new box)
3) If files moved from location ability to show Serato where to find them (or is this possible already?)
4) BPM from Tags using decimal points (it doesn't like them now i hear)

number 3,please
HazeNYC 2:13 PM - 18 January, 2007
as for the MIDI suggestion can somebody please elaborate for us how this would be used.. obviously it's a good idea since so many people suggest it but my only experience with MIDI controls is in music production and composition (Reason & ProTools) .. not with live DJing.. thanks!
DJPozzi 3:07 PM - 18 January, 2007
Quote:
as for the MIDI suggestion can somebody please elaborate for us how this would be used.. obviously it's a good idea since so many people suggest it but my only experience with MIDI controls is in music production and composition (Reason & ProTools) .. not with live DJing.. thanks!

Basically if you had midi it would allow for the use of an external controller eg DAC 3 or similar. Maybe not so handy for the vinyl lovers. But for DJ's who come from a CD background then it would eliminate the need for hooking up to a CD player in the club. Just whip out the DAC3 (or whatever) plug it into serato and away you go. It would be like DJing in internal mode but instead of using the keyboard shortcuts you would use the controller instead.

OR

If you had a mixer with midi facilities eg the allan & Heath, you could programme the buttons to control certain functions of serato eg use the wheel to scroll up and down track lists etc
derby 4:08 PM - 18 January, 2007
Quote:

If you had a mixer with midi facilities eg the allan & Heath, you could programme the buttons to control certain functions of serato eg use the wheel to scroll up and down track lists etc

the a&h is a bad example... the midi implementation on it is minimal at best...

an ecler nuo4 would be a better solution for what you're describing. 4 decks + a dedicated control strip for navigating the software.
Dj Different 5:51 PM - 18 January, 2007
Quote:

Even the 3D?

www.xone.co.uk
dj disturbed 5:54 PM - 18 January, 2007
Quote:

Definitely this...

that has to be fixed with a firmware update on your dn-s5000 (like the one they put out for the 3500).. its just like the way they use cues.. the audio curve thingy
skinnyguy 6:54 PM - 18 January, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Definitely this...

that has to be fixed with a firmware update on your dn-s5000 (like the one they put out for the 3500).. its just like the way they use cues.. the audio curve thingy

just wait for 1.7. major response improvement for any cd deck.
Mad Erb 10:01 PM - 18 January, 2007
Midi & Record your dj-set button =)
mexicannnnnn 2:20 AM - 19 January, 2007
Check out DJ Enferno's set on Youtube to see what you can do with Midi. He uses the M-Audio Trigger Finger as well as some other gear that he has all set up to Abelton Live.
derby 12:10 PM - 19 January, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Even the 3D?

www.xone.co.uk

nope, they got that one right. =)
djkevinz 10:08 PM - 19 January, 2007
Holy Crap I would pee my pants if the Xone 3D worked seamlessly with Serato. Imagine walking into a gig with an unassuming little box and your laptop. I would seriously consider not carrying around turntables any more. And running it through Ableton? Good Night!
Dj Kabrini Greens 11:18 PM - 19 January, 2007
Xone 3d = cost way more money than I make at any gig....:(
derby 11:33 PM - 19 January, 2007
Quote:

it's worth it if you can do this:

Watchwww.youtube.com
Dj-Motion 5:59 PM - 20 January, 2007
to be able to sort comments/bpms/artist/title/etc indepentely

Thanks
dj disturbed 6:26 PM - 20 January, 2007
Quote:
to be able to sort comments/bpms/artist/title/etc indepentely

Thanks

I thought you already could (at least when i use it it seem i can do that)... Explain what you mean?
Konix 6:39 PM - 20 January, 2007
I think he means sorting by more than one thing at a time. Like sort by BPM first, then by artist.
rlaci 8:34 PM - 20 January, 2007
ASIO and ASIO and ASIO driver for sl1
dj disturbed 9:06 PM - 20 January, 2007
Quote:
ASIO and ASIO and ASIO driver for sl1

already comming in 1.7
Dj-Motion 9:21 PM - 20 January, 2007
konix, you are right on.....microsoft excel has this......say i want to sort artist then sort bpm then comments...what do you all think of this feature?
Dj Spox 11:23 PM - 20 January, 2007
Hi
1 - total time for crates & subcrates
2 - saving crates as iTunes playlists (or to .pls or .m3u file)
3 - More advanced auto BPM option - at least recount or divide/multiply selected tracks.

and of course - ASIO
greetz
Thundercat 11:44 PM - 20 January, 2007
Quote:
konix, you are right on.....microsoft excel has this......say i want to sort artist then sort bpm then comments...what do you all think of this feature?

I think I would like that very much. No, I KNOW I would like that very much. Bump & cosign.
prizo 6:23 PM - 21 January, 2007
Quote:
1. date and time stamp. (that way i would know when i played a song last. This is great for radio jocks)

pozzi ;)

Great idea!!! I love the PnT options, def more of that ish. A 3rd virtual deck would be illin as well. The whole subcrate thing is key, I hear thats in 1.7 tho. Any ideas when the official version wil be released?
Samuel 7:28 PM - 21 January, 2007
1- auto loops / fixed loops

2- auto loops / fixed loops

3- auto loops / fixed loops

pleaseeeee :)
DJ Jean Verano 8:26 PM - 21 January, 2007
Quote:
We're also showing auto-looping; press a button and automatically create a 1 bar, 2 bar, 4 bar (etc) loop.
DJ Jean Verano 8:27 PM - 21 January, 2007
spOOky 9:44 AM - 22 January, 2007
plz autoloops !!! and plz plz plz !!!!!! STEALTH MODE !!!!!!
boabmatic 3:23 PM - 22 January, 2007
Quote:

just buy the 2D then and use your existing mixer :)

www.skratchworx.com
dj_double_a 10:09 PM - 22 January, 2007
a user customizable interface including a horizontal waveform for those of us who want see where the breakdowns are in longer tunes.
Konix 10:12 PM - 22 January, 2007
Quote:
a user customizable interface including a horizontal waveform for those of us who want see where the breakdowns are in longer tunes.

i48.photobucket.com
DJ Jinnai 10:31 PM - 22 January, 2007
might be too advanced but...

Cuss detection? auto bleep as a feature when building overviews?
DJ E-Bam 10:35 PM - 22 January, 2007
How about some freakin' Vista drivers already!
DJ Jinnai 12:25 AM - 23 January, 2007
Linux please
ACME 4:02 PM - 24 January, 2007
1) MIDI learn
2) Coreaudio drivers
3) show only selected itunes playlists, or just organize them in crates/subcrates. I don't want podcasts and videos in my SSL library
4)make auto gain a little bit louder, or just make the master gain knob louder

AND PLEASE FIX THIS DAMN CTRL-Z BUG: www.scratchlive.net
nuwave_afro 8:25 PM - 24 January, 2007
1) HISTORY/REVIEW

- Why cant we save multiple instances of same song to a crate? [ex:if i use the 'heaven&hell' intro to drop into more than one record in a set, and i want to save that set intact... please allow that]
[or allow the review to be exported to a text file maybe]

- maybe include play data: time played, start/end times, pitch...

2) !!!!STEALTH MODE!!!! (co-sign spOOky)

- Right now Im using electrical tape :)

3) CRIPPLED mode

- that would address bad rca/ground/headshell scenarios

Great job so far, havent tried 1.7 yet, sorry if any of the above suggestions have already been included... I looked, but didnt see them.
derby 8:37 PM - 24 January, 2007
Quote:
1) HISTORY/REVIEW

- Why cant we save multiple instances of same song to a crate? [ex:if i use the 'heaven&hell' intro to drop into more than one record in a set, and i want to save that set intact... please allow that]
[or allow the review to be exported to a text file maybe]

- maybe include play data: time played, start/end times, pitch...

how about just a simple running log automatically saves to the root of the system drive, possibly seperated by "session".

either straight text or comma/tab delimited, sorted by time played, with all the tag data, file location/filename, and length of time loaded (note: not length of time played, ssl doesn't really know that).

this would be easily manipulated in something like excel (or another spreadsheet application) to be able to pull out your 30-45sec brief listens and whatnot.

it should be easy to implement and won't add additional clutter to the interface.
geeunot 9:52 PM - 24 January, 2007
crippled mode!!!!
Basster 10:48 AM - 25 January, 2007
Ability to read CD-Text!

Skins? (But that's just for posing purposes ;) )
society 4:36 PM - 25 January, 2007
Well since we have the official word on some features that are in the pipeline, I'll change my choices:

1. MIDI--I know it's coming in 1.8 but I want the easily implemented MIDI you find in Ableton LIVE. Someone mentioned "MIDI learn" above, maybe this is the same thing??

Check it: www.scratchlive.net

2. Crates linked to file folders

3. P'n'T
nuwave_afro 6:13 PM - 25 January, 2007
Quote:

how about just a simple running log automatically saves to the root of the system drive, possibly seperated by "session".

either straight text or comma/tab delimited, sorted by time played, with all the tag data, file location/filename, and length of time loaded (note: not length of time played, ssl doesn't really know that).

this would be easily manipulated in something like excel (or another spreadsheet application) to be able to pull out your 30-45sec brief listens and whatnot.

it should be easy to implement and won't add additional clutter to the interface.

co-sign your co-sign, derby!

Especialy the point about being easy to implement/no additional clutter... seen MANY updates as of late, mostly big features being added. Thanks for your hard work, Serato Team, great job with them ALL; this would be simple and useful i think, right?

Please let me know if I'm wrong. I'd still be interested in the mechanics of it.

UH-OH: I now see that 1.7 edits multiple plays right from the REVIEW file... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE implement this 'session' idea - as now there is NO accurate record of play history, let alone a saveable one.

I still dont understand why this would be a problem. Ive heard there was a buggy 'history' feature in v1.5. Ive been suggesting something like this since 1.3 - and i think that was the only time they gave it a shot. The 'running log' would seems simple enough, even if its just in Terminal*... I'd be happy and I would shut up. :)

*Hmm, is there an existing way/hack to do this already?
mistamixx 6:46 PM - 25 January, 2007
Man i love Serato the way it is, but on the top of my wish list is a tail echo effect that is linked to the bpm, and the ability to rock video files.
Dj Coy 8:34 PM - 25 January, 2007
Quote:

yupz...live auto bpm and live auto gain.
Dj Coy 8:35 PM - 25 January, 2007
also maybe a record button so we can record our set..
derby 8:37 PM - 25 January, 2007
Quote:

no offense, but people need to think about the way the sl1 works before they (keep) ask(ing) for this.
Dj Coy 10:41 PM - 25 January, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

no offense, but people need to think about the way the sl1 works before they (keep) ask(ing) for this.

I know how it works man, I'm still one of those guys that are hoping such feature would be in future updates...dont be too alarm
derby 11:58 PM - 25 January, 2007
Quote:

I know how it works man, I'm still one of those guys that are hoping such feature would be in future updates...dont be too alarm

the "future update" to enable that would have to be updated hardware in the case of the SL1.

the SL1 is not aware of upfaders, crossfaders, effects, etc. so there is no way for it to record your set.

a record input would have to be implemented in new SL hardware to enable this.
Denny 3:39 AM - 26 January, 2007
Quote:
i'd like autoplay to swap between 2 decks, and crossfade
i know most are club dj's...
but i'm more a wedding, sweet 16, etc.
and i need to play background music for first hour,

** Just make a mix cd and bring it with you.. or even play the pre-recorded mix via internal mode. I also have a first hour where people are just showing up to my club night. Makes it easy to handle other things until people get cra-crazy!
dj disturbed 6:04 AM - 26 January, 2007
I want 1.8 to be able to tell the bar that i need another drink without me even telling it too (part of a cup holder feature.... :-P
Basster 9:31 AM - 26 January, 2007
Mark multiple crates with e.g. Ctrl so all files from all selected creates will be displayed in the track browser.
That would be great! :)
ekwipt 9:50 AM - 26 January, 2007
Quote:
I want 1.8 to be able to tell the bar that i need another drink without me even telling it too (part of a cup holder feature.... :-P

Man dj's are getting lazy i mean automix and now you want the software to order stuff for you...... sheesh
skinnyguy 8:06 PM - 26 January, 2007
and censor markers
kev_the_dj 3:17 AM - 27 January, 2007
I'd like to see Serato build overviews a bit faster.
DJ IRON 6:58 AM - 28 January, 2007
naming cue points
eq
skins
Pellefant 11:59 AM - 28 January, 2007
I want an animated figure who tells me things like "It looks as if you are mixing music. Do you want help with that?". It should be able to rock a crowd and make excellent music selections.
DJWildman 7:55 PM - 28 January, 2007
Id love to see these 5 things!!

1. the ability to save your setlists. Printable function to print or import you setlist/library to a word or excel spreadsheet.

2. Auto Loops 1/8 1/4 1/2 1 2 4 8 16 32

3. 5-10 sample drop buttons ie i'm rick james bitch or your in the mix with some DJ that would be amazing

4. number of songs in your library total like 88033 songs also an automatic double detection system like if you have 17 copies of Billie Jean by Michael Jackson lol

5. Crippled Mode would be great!!
dj disturbed 8:06 PM - 28 January, 2007
Quote:
Id love to see these 5 things!!

1. the ability to save your setlists. Printable function to print or import you setlist/library to a word or excel spreadsheet.

2. Auto Loops 1/8 1/4 1/2 1 2 4 8 16 32

3. 5-10 sample drop buttons ie i'm rick james bitch or your in the mix with some DJ that would be amazing

4. number of songs in your library total like 88033 songs also an automatic double detection system like if you have 17 copies of Billie Jean by Michael Jackson lol

5. Crippled Mode would be great!!

good ones but number 2 is already been anounced (and its in 1.7 if you know how to activate it www.scratchlive.net
)
dj disturbed 9:30 PM - 28 January, 2007
I would like to see the build overveiw thing allowed to be accessed with the sl1/57 attached (or at least be able to select auto bpm/gain for then you add the track to the deck and it builds the overveiw to detect both of these for you while you are playing.
society 3:51 AM - 29 January, 2007
The more I think about it, the number one feature for me is:
crates linked to folders.
derby 3:23 PM - 29 January, 2007
Quote:

linked how? do you want "static" crates built from folder contents or do you want SSL to parse an entire directory structure on launch?

the former you can do manually by just dragging a folder into the crate pane. the latter will likely cause extremely long launch times for the application if you have a larger library.
society 3:27 PM - 29 January, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

linked how? do you want "static" crates built from folder contents or do you want SSL to parse an entire directory structure on launch?

the former you can do manually by just dragging a folder into the crate pane. the latter will likely cause extremely long launch times for the application if you have a larger library.

I would like it to be "active" or whatever you want to call it, as described in your second example. Maybe a compromise could be a manual operation you could select, like "scan directories" or something, that you could run when you've made additions or deletions from your music collection.
nik39 4:47 PM - 29 January, 2007
Quote:
the former you can do manually by just dragging a folder into the crate pane.

Almost... all songs from the folder and all subfolders will be squeezed into one crate, no subcrates are added.
derby 5:03 PM - 29 January, 2007
Quote:

Almost... all songs from the folder and all subfolders will be squeezed into one crate, no subcrates are added.

correct, but you can build a hierarchical* view (with subcrates) manually.

*try that without spellcheck. =)
nik39 5:39 PM - 29 January, 2007
Yeah, right... I bought a computer to build subcrates manually. And then when I want to update them, update each subcrate manually. Yeah, ryte.

Just being sarcastic, derby, no offense :)
derby 5:47 PM - 29 January, 2007
Quote:
Yeah, right... I bought a computer to build subcrates manually. And then when I want to update them, update each subcrate manually. Yeah, ryte.

Just being sarcastic, derby, no offense :)

=)
ekwipt 6:59 AM - 30 January, 2007
Multiple views for Subcrates would go a little further, say you could have them arranged into Styles of music, BPMs, Keys, Labels Artists, etc.. kind of like a hierarchy sorting ability but in subcrates,

sort by label then by artist then by album
mexicannnnnn 12:37 PM - 30 January, 2007
Now that you guys have mono mode set up and it has helped me tones there is one more thing I would like that would eliminate another piece of equipment.

How about a built in crossover on the software side?

I would love if I had my mid to high on one channel and my low on the other channel. This way I could just plug the higher to the powered speakers that and the lower to the amps for the subs.

Club DJ's wouldn't really care about this, but mobile DJ's would love it.
jsgwiz 4:28 PM - 30 January, 2007
I would love to see AAC support.

My library is at 70,000+ songs. I've been DJing for 19 years so my collection has grown. I just bought Serato and began to convert my songs, but the quality just isn't there going from one lossy format to another. So unfortunately I have to wait and see what happens in 1.8 or I have to get another software package. I DON'T WANT ANYTHING ELSE EXCEPT SSL!!!
byrd 7:49 PM - 30 January, 2007
Allow a user to scroll music with a larger/re-size-able album art view. Like used by iTunes 7.0. This would allow a user to simply flip through the album art pix like flipping records in a crate. Also allow for the album art to be shown next to a loaded track or a track that is playing.
joe2037 3:01 AM - 31 January, 2007
Quote:
Upgrade to Firewire 800 (twice the through-put of USB2)

The latest and greatest is actually eSata that supports up to 3gig/sec
ekwipt 7:12 AM - 31 January, 2007
an Expresscard interface has almost no latency and high transfer rate, i think this is where most soundcard interfaces will go in the future, firewire is actually a joke for audio, but it's probably the best we have at the moment
echey 11:45 AM - 31 January, 2007
video
video
video
boabmatic 11:49 AM - 31 January, 2007
echey...check the vid in this post ;-) you'll be happy

www.scratchlive.net
DJ BIGGIE 4:41 AM - 1 February, 2007
I would like to see when the NEEDLE gets Dirty and you have to quickly hit INT mode. The program auto turns INT on.

That would be cool lol
Monk-A 1:37 PM - 1 February, 2007
Quote:
an Expresscard interface has almost no latency and high transfer rate, i think this is where most soundcard interfaces will go in the future, firewire is actually a joke for audio, but it's probably the best we have at the moment

no one seems to want to develop the express card format yet :(

I was looking for one because the Dell's that don't carry the TI chipsets for their Friewire port can't handle audio very well through fire wire.

I've ended up going for a USB 2.0 card - the EMU 0404 and i gotta say it's superb - but i admit i'd have loved to have been able to use something like the Emu 16/16 PCMCIA card in a PCIe card version.
J.J. 5:15 PM - 1 February, 2007
1. Splice www.scratchlive.net This is a must for radio DJ's who do quick mixes.
2. Crossfade option (0-10 seconds) with auto play.
3. ASIO while Serato is Open.
4. MIDI
5. Ability to listen, set cues, order etc tracks w/o the S-S-L box attached to it. "Crippled Mode" where you can have one deck, no effects, no pitch, Internal mode only for setting cue points, BPMs and loops. with out the SSL box connected
6. PnT
7. Soft links / Crates linked to folders & Alphabetical sorting of crates or sub crates
7. Some EFX already
8. Sample Drops and assignable quick scratches.
9. Overview builds w/ Auto Gain & Auto BPM while Serato is plugged in.
10. Live Auto BPM while song is loaded.
11. Make an affordable RAIN MIDI controller for each turntable. No more getting confused hitting the wrong button on the keyboard.

CTRL T for Auto Loops is the SH*T!!!!
DrJonez 6:20 PM - 1 February, 2007
1. Fixed Relative Mode www.scratchlive.net

2. Record your set (not the audio, the actions)

3. Auto Playlist generation. (whoa)
JohnBeez 12:00 AM - 2 February, 2007
1. Fixed Relative Mode

2. Auto Rel -> Abs switch when needle is moved to lead in on control vinyl
ekwipt 7:13 AM - 2 February, 2007
Quote:
no one seems to want to develop the express card format yet :(

I was looking for one because the Dell's that don't carry the TI chipsets for their Friewire port can't handle audio very well through fire wire.

I've ended up going for a USB 2.0 card - the EMU 0404 and i gotta say it's superb - but i admit i'd have loved to have been able to use something like the Emu 16/16 PCMCIA card in a PCIe card version.

Can't wait for the day, i reckon Laptops should have 3 Expresscards and some USBs for controllers and things

Expresscard 1 - Soundcard
Expresscard 2 - Dedicated Effects Card
Expresscard 3 - External Hardrive
djtripp 9:31 PM - 2 February, 2007
1. Video
i am a vj as well. so i like the crowds to watch the screen.

2. Skins
would be nice to change how SSL looks.

3. VST/MIDI
it would be nice to get the other software i have to sync with
SSL
Axel 10:54 PM - 2 February, 2007
Setup global control over the track information display. So you dont have to go to each individual crate and subcrate and select the information to be displayed individually. You would simply set this up globally and whenever you import a folder into your crates the folder will only display what youve setup in the global setup. This is useful when you have to rebuild your crates from scratch. The current process is monotonous.
Thanks
ekwipt 2:27 PM - 3 February, 2007
WaveRT support for vista???
Kid Who 12:57 PM - 4 February, 2007
1. Folders linked to crates or some kind of explorer (like a c: tree display). ive got all my folders organised and when i put loads of new stuff into various folders it means i usually have to import all the crates again!

2. Adustable/free pitch control - bring it on!!!

3. Ability to set it so that when you switch to relative mode and load up a new track WHEN THE RECORD IS STATIONARY it automatically goes to the beginning of the tune, i spend too much time fiddling with the mouse!

apart from that, i agree with some of the guys up here about video and effects creating unwanted complications and making the program too cpu-hungry. i think one of serato's best features is the fact that you don't need a kickass laptop to use it, video and effects would push the system requirements up like crazy. just my thoughts!
Kid Who 1:05 PM - 4 February, 2007
....and i forgot, please please please ability to have the crates automatically displayed in aplhabetical order!!!
DJ-A 6:26 PM - 5 February, 2007
Quote:
A cup holder!!!!!!

I thought most PC/laptops came with one...???
DjWoody 12:25 AM - 6 February, 2007
CRATE REFRESH!!!

Yeap! I hate using iTunes with SSL. I would love for Serato to have a refresh button to auto sync the crates with the music folder in OsX. That would be sweet.
Razor 6:11 AM - 6 February, 2007
Crossfade 1-20 sec. on auto play for backround music/coctail hour
Razor 6:13 AM - 6 February, 2007
Alphabetical order option for crates!
dj friktion 12:28 PM - 6 February, 2007
Please! So all we have to do is touch the gain!

1 EQ Highs Mid Low per deck memorizing each songs setting

2 SMOOTHER WAVE FORMS new versions have been choppy bring back the smoothness of 1.4

3 THE ABILITY TO EDIT WAVEFORMS chop off those 1.8 seconds of your vinyl rip so it starts right on cue and you don't have to exit SL and put music in sound studio and chop great for making battle breaks! And routines

Rock that shit
rossontheweb 2:30 PM - 6 February, 2007
Kid Who has got it when he says:
"1. Folders linked to crates or some kind of explorer (like a c: tree display). ive got all my folders organised and when i put loads of new stuff into various folders it means i usually have to import all the crates again!

apart from that, i agree with some of the guys up here about video and effects creating unwanted complications and making the program too cpu-hungry. i think one of serato's best features is the fact that you don't need a kickass laptop to use it, video and effects would push the system requirements up like crazy"

- An easier, less messy browser area, clear with larger fonts.

- A way of balancing the volume of all the various digital recordings. This is very important.

- KEEP IT SIMPLE!!! The more complicated, the more it will crash, press wrong buttons, waste time setting up etc etc. Keep it the simplest way of playing digital music in clubs.
J.J. 4:29 PM - 6 February, 2007
I'd like SSL to remember the last key lock state.

Why should I activate it every time?
derby 5:20 PM - 6 February, 2007
Quote:
I'd like SSL to remember the last key lock state.

Why should I activate it every time?

better yet, why would you want it on all the time? why subject a track that doesn't need to be keylocked to unneccessary processing and potential keylock artifacts?
ACME 6:16 PM - 6 February, 2007
Because you can always deactivate it manually.
But many would prefer key lock to remember its state.
LOUISMARCOS 6:41 PM - 6 February, 2007
Quote:
Now that 1.7 has hit beta and the features are pretty much set (unless something comes out of a new beta..), what do you guys want to see next down the pipe?

Whats your top 3?

1. PnT
2. 3rd "int" deck using internal soundcard
3. Ability to use 2 SL units on 1 computer

Ive thought a third deck would be dope you could free up a deck to drop another track...

also id like to see new skins

and cue naming.....
J.J. 7:13 PM - 6 February, 2007
keylock artifacts? That shouldn't be noticed within +/- 4%.
Plus, every time you pitch bend (even a little), it sounds ridiculous without Keylock. I'm not talking about you house/trance DJ's that mix in key. Props to you perfectionist.

Music is made not to pitch it at all, but since we are DJ's, Keylock for the world. I keep it on all the time. Remembering the last state will be nice.

unnecessary processing? Just like future added effects, if your cpu can't handle it, don't use it.
LOUISMARCOS 7:26 PM - 6 February, 2007
make custom mini keyboards,for each deck. and sell them at a low price.
J.J. 7:37 PM - 6 February, 2007
That was one of my request LouisMarcos

11. Make an affordable RAIN MIDI controller for each turntable. No more getting confused hitting the wrong button on the keyboard.

I will buy two. I can also design the interface if Serato is interested. Similiar to how I did this www.skratchworx.com
J.J. 4:09 PM - 7 February, 2007
1.7.1 Final
- The Key Lock buttons now remember their on/off state when you quit Scratch LIVE

Mother Trucker that was fast. Serato team ROX.
Dj-Motion 6:29 PM - 7 February, 2007
just asking for that your library can me sorted by example: artist>bpm>comments
Pete Moss 4:35 AM - 8 February, 2007
1. Simple export of review to text
2. Auto update of new files when library is based on folders
3. Show song length anytime the song has existing overview already built, so you don't have to rebuild overviews when you re-add files or remake your recordcase just to see how long a song is. (I like to use lengths as a tool to help weed out doubles)
LOUISMARCOS 8:43 AM - 8 February, 2007
I would like to see "because it could be that im lazy"

A bpm consistency box... where you could select a desired bpm say 124bpm and when you load any track, the tracks get loaded at that selected bpm automatically for your entire set.

Wich would allow your Pitch Adj. to stay almost centered most of the time, still allowing adjustment.
Pete Moss 11:38 AM - 8 February, 2007
Quote:

A bpm consistency box... where you could select a desired bpm say 124bpm and when you load any track, the tracks get loaded at that selected bpm automatically for your entire set.

Wich would allow your Pitch Adj. to stay almost centered most of the time, still allowing adjustment.

How about a button that could be represented with an '=' sign, that when pressed in internal mode, would adjust the pitch to match the bpm of the opposite player. Sound like a bad idea? If you've ever had to pull off a mix in internal mode, you wouldn't think so!
dj disturbed 4:54 PM - 8 February, 2007
Quote:

ohh.. god.... this is going to start a big NO AUTO BEAT MATCHING/MIXING thread again
Daim 5:06 PM - 8 February, 2007
lol when i'm lazy i just visit a party as guest
danyb 5:50 PM - 8 February, 2007
no auto beat matching/mixing please.........
I don't want NO "dj" using scratch live

they can use other fantastic program

:-)
Pete Moss 7:00 PM - 8 February, 2007
Quote:
ohh.. god.... this is going to start a big NO AUTO BEAT MATCHING/MIXING thread again

I don't think he means auto-mixing, he means letting serato initially adjust the pitch for you when you load the next song. That's not auto-mixing.
LOUISMARCOS 7:02 PM - 8 February, 2007
Quote:

Forget i mentioned it... But we might as well have rane disable all functions that in anyway allow the dj to be assisted at any time, if thats the case they should remove the waveforms and cue points and i can go on.......but I understand we want to keep a high standard and Integrity for this product and im all for it...and since you put it that way, i do see what you mean.

p.s.

I was also a bit tipsy at my desk last night when i was brain storming, and came up with that thought..
dj disturbed 7:04 PM - 8 February, 2007
read what i posted..... I said both..... im just saying that this is going to flair this same discusion up in another thread... sence most peeps get this confused anyway
LOUISMARCOS 7:15 PM - 8 February, 2007
kool
mexicannnnnn 11:22 PM - 8 February, 2007
I'm all for it, if I don't like it then I wont use it the end.
djivanlopez.com 10:44 AM - 9 February, 2007
EFX Please
PhoenixUK 3:33 PM - 9 February, 2007
Can we have something that shows where a particular track is on the HDD .. the file path. And also, which crate it is in, would be nice too :)
Konix 3:37 PM - 9 February, 2007
Quote:
Can we have something that shows where a particular track is on the HDD .. the file path. And also, which crate it is in, would be nice too :)

If a song is in a crate, don't you already know which crate it's in? Also you can show the filepath/location already in a crate as one of the columns.
DJRodrigoSM.br 4:39 PM - 9 February, 2007
I'd like to see the "added features" start to go separate from the essentials. I'm currently using 1.6.3, which is hardly my favorite, but I have to agree that, as far as handling files goes, it's the best so far.
If there's a way I could get some stuff that has been coming out and that I think everyone benefits from (new way to handle the timecode, better overview building) and leave out the ones that only matter to some people (auto-leveling and BPM detection, for example), I'd like that.
Why?
Simple. I can see the software getting more and more demanding as far as computer specs go, and I have no plans on getting a new one anytime soon.
Chita79 6:08 PM - 9 February, 2007
Quote:
...And also, which crate it is in, would be nice too :)

i second this... i would like to see a feature where you could see what crates a certain file is linked to
iki 6:37 PM - 9 February, 2007
1.8 should come with a little notepad so I can write down the phone numbers of all the hot chics that come to my venue.

Sweeeet!
DJ Quintessence 2:15 AM - 10 February, 2007
Sampler
galacticbass 7:58 AM - 10 February, 2007
Speaking of having lists in Serato, someone mentioned on another thread to have a set list option instead of just prepare. And yes I understand what crates do.

Maybe a way to keep tracks in a specific order on demand. Click on an Icon within the crate, and poof, ready made set list. Different sets for different nights. (Obviously yoy put the set list together before you play.)

The only way to put songs in order now is edit the track name, and put a number or some thing in the comment area.

"Prepare" takes up time that you could be workin on cue points and places to drop in. Spend more time preparing the mix, Serato has already addressed that. I like the idea more than having a set list on paper of some kind of text that I have to minimize Serato to see. I don't even use set lists, but I probably would if Serato had this option. You'd have the freedom to use it or not.

This could be a drag and drop method and rearange at will, during a set or not. And you'd always have a set that you put together and know works. You can fine tune sets this way.

Put it on another drop down menu within the crate labeled "sets" ahhhh I love it, great idea musiclee. And woe to you oh closed minded ones, it would only improve your inabilities that you MAY have.

Don't keep from improving Serato just cause you might not have a use for something. Shit look at final scratch, you want to talk about things you won't use? (People where downing this idea on the other thread)
galacticbass 8:00 AM - 10 February, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

If a song is in a crate, don't you already know which crate it's in? Also you can show the filepath/location already in a crate as one of the columns.

Another good one!!!
galacticbass 8:01 AM - 10 February, 2007
These are simple ideas that will not put more excessive load on the cpu.
galacticbass 8:08 AM - 10 February, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Forget i mentioned it... But we might as well have rane disable all functions that in anyway allow the dj to be assisted at any time, if thats the case they should remove the waveforms and cue points and i can go on.......but I understand we want to keep a high standard and Integrity for this product and im all for it...and since you put it that way, i do see what you mean.

p.s.

I was also a bit tipsy at my desk last night when i was brain storming, and came up with that thought..

Just because someone gets tracks beat matched doesn't mean they can mix. There is a difference. And It's not hard to look at the visual cues onscreen to figure out if your beatmatched or not. So wtbfd. Again, more time to find good cue points. And just because final scratch has it, doesn't mean it stays beat matched. You got to watch that booger or it'll slip right out your nose and cause a train wreck! (and no I don't use FS)
galacticbass 8:11 AM - 10 February, 2007
but I have
nik39 1:30 PM - 10 February, 2007
Quote:
The only way to put songs in order now is edit the track name, and put a number or some thing in the comment area.

Nope. There is a column "#", if you click on it you can sort the tracks to your needs. That pretty much makes the need for a "playlist"... pointless.
galacticbass 3:58 AM - 12 February, 2007
yea I caught that from someone already. Sorry for the wasted space
mustgroove 6:18 AM - 12 February, 2007
FLAC and Apple Lossless support would make my day :)
mole4000 9:05 AM - 12 February, 2007
I tend to organise my crates in terms of folders - so without backing up crates etc.. I can just drag and drop a list of folders into SL and I’m ready to go. This would be greatly enhanced by two new features:
1. Sub-directories create sub-folders when importing
2. Shortcuts can be imported into crates as a reference to the original file location
The second feature allows the same track to be put in multiple folders without needing to make copies.
K@MIL 11:43 AM - 12 February, 2007
Auto/Seamless Loop, 16/8/4/2/1 etc. !!!
dj disturbed 6:41 PM - 12 February, 2007
Quote:
Auto/Seamless Loop, 16/8/4/2/1 etc. !!!

thats already in 1.7(ifyou know how to get to it.... lol search for easter egg / cookie) but it will be in 1.8 without having to "Click Click Clickiety Click"
m0nster 7:34 PM - 12 February, 2007
Still really want(and not sure if it will ever happen) syncing to a designated folder(s). So i can add/remove stuff, like how itunes users get to do it, but without having to use itunes.
derby 8:01 PM - 12 February, 2007
Quote:
Still really want(and not sure if it will ever happen) syncing to a designated folder(s). So i can add/remove stuff, like how itunes users get to do it, but without having to use itunes.

itunes doesn't sync folders.
m0nster 8:03 PM - 12 February, 2007
no, it syncs with SSL, so if i used itunes, and deleted ab unch of stuff from my itunes, it would sync with ssl. get what i mean?....
Jester- 4:36 PM - 13 February, 2007
1. EFFECTS !!!!!!!!!!!
2. Longer mic sample time
3. a fix for auto bpm !! curently displays about half what it is (1.7x) - i dont use it , its just annoying !
4. detachable beat match thing coz i find my eyes allways looking at it !!
5. ability to change the tracks all back to white before a set (u migh be able to do this currently just aint found it!!) i.e make all your tracks white before a set so when u have played them they go green so i know what ive played coz i forget!!!
Jester- 4:38 PM - 13 February, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

I don't think he means auto-mixing, he means letting serato initially adjust the pitch for you when you load the next song. That's not auto-mixing.

yup lol it did !!!

my 5 pence worth (assistance is futile, learn to mix 1st then master everything else) :P
ACME 5:23 PM - 13 February, 2007
Quote:
5. ability to change the tracks all back to white before a set (u migh be able to do this currently just aint found it!!) i.e make all your tracks white before a set so when u have played them they go green so i know what ive played coz i forget!!!

click on review, then clear.
RussOne 6:43 PM - 13 February, 2007
In 1.8, I'd like to see all the disastrous FuckUps that are in the 1.7's remedied. This past Saturday night, I made by hair of my chin!
derby 8:29 PM - 13 February, 2007
Quote:
In 1.8, I'd like to see all the disastrous FuckUps that are in the 1.7's remedied. This past Saturday night, I made by hair of my chin!

uh, since many people haven't had (m)any problems, would you mind being more specific?
dj disturbed 9:01 PM - 13 February, 2007
i have had no issues with 1.7.1 yet playing live.. had one issue building overviews where it said i had 2 overviews left to build out of a crate.. but they were realy all done
RussOne 11:33 PM - 13 February, 2007
Specifically 1.7.0.
85% of my music would not play. The overview appears. The main waveform doesen't.
I rescanned my entire crates. Didn't make any difference. USB dropouts like crazy.
Before all of that, I noticed this shit! ........ all of my rock music was kicked out of the Rock crate (basically it's like literally throwing an actual crate of records out of a window).
So the whole night I'm just loading music one after the other til I loaded something that actually played, for the sake of keeping continuous play (russian roulette). It was pretty fucked up. Thank the force for alcohol consuming party goers.
RussOne 11:34 PM - 13 February, 2007
I tried to reload 1.6.3, but no go (on a mac book pro). So now there is no SSL.
RussOne 11:37 PM - 13 February, 2007
After I hook back up my gear, I'm gonna load 1.7.1 on my iBook and see what happens.
RussOne 1:52 AM - 14 February, 2007
Oooops! I take that back, about the issue relating specifically to 1.7.0. It happened on 1.7.1 first (macBookPro). Then went back to 1.7.0 (macBook).
mexicannnnnn 1:58 AM - 14 February, 2007
Lets stick to the topic:

Top 3 you want to see in 1.8
----------------------------
RussOne 2:58 AM - 14 February, 2007
Who went off topic?
mexicannnnnn 3:18 AM - 14 February, 2007
Quote:
Who went off topic?

Anyone who didn't stick to their top 3.
Pete Moss 3:18 AM - 14 February, 2007
Does anyone else like peach pie?
DJRodrigoSM.br 6:02 AM - 14 February, 2007
Ok, guess I'll oblige...
1. Make all cue points and loops visible at one time in the main waveform display (instead of having the loop show up as a green section, but only one at a time)
2. Maybe add an "undo" function to importing / modifying crates (eg - I imported like 1200 songs from an m3u playlist to the wrong crate. Doomed it beyond repair, gonna have to redo it from ground up). Shouldn't be too hard, from what I've heard this information only gets written to the file once you exit the program, right?
3. Some way to show absolute position under relative mode (in what part of the song you'd be if you were in absolute mode).
Doc Martin 2:10 PM - 14 February, 2007
Two things I would like to see added in the future:

1) A way to print music lists and cd inserts using SSL (like I-tunes)

2) A seperate manual document that only details the changes to SSL (so I don't have to keep reprinting the whole manual and run out of printing ink- those colors illustrations are murder on my printer!)
galacticbass 4:31 PM - 14 February, 2007
You should be able to choose what pages to print on your computer.
Konix 4:42 PM - 14 February, 2007
Quote:
A seperate manual document that only details the changes to SSL

Every new release comes with details about what's new and a change log of fixes and updates.
dj skraps 7:07 PM - 14 February, 2007
1 - ability to print entire library as well as crate/playlists
dj skraps 7:10 PM - 14 February, 2007
ability to show duplicates...something like itunes does.
John Nasty 12:01 AM - 15 February, 2007
As a house/techno dj i would realy like to se some improvement for looping. Like it is on Pioneer players ( 1 2 4 8 16 beat loops ). In serato it would be enough with 4 8 16 32 beat , automatic looping. Mark the start point , press nuber of beats you want to loop , and voila. It is so much easier then mark intro , mark outro. It´s a realy cool feature for let´s says some beats , hip hop or house loops. I use alot of extended versions of hip hop tracks ( funkymix , x-mix, ilhot mixes etc etc ). and it´s kind a cool to find a cool loop in one track , and realy fast loop it in another track , just by pressing the number of beats you want to loop, instead of putting markers by yourself. It´s not all the time you have that loop prepared , sometimes you come up with some crazy ideas when you play .) Other then that , it´s all good.
KnowledgeX 12:36 AM - 15 February, 2007
1) split cue
2) more effects
3) DJ remote, so I can freak girls on the dance floor while still DJing. (not practical, but would be cool)
dj disturbed 5:28 AM - 15 February, 2007
Quote:
As a house/techno dj i would realy like to se some improvement for looping. Like it is on Pioneer players ( 1 2 4 8 16 beat loops ). In serato it would be enough with 4 8 16 32 beat , automatic looping. Mark the start point , press nuber of beats you want to loop , and voila. It is so much easier then mark intro , mark outro. It´s a realy cool feature for let´s says some beats , hip hop or house loops. I use alot of extended versions of hip hop tracks ( funkymix , x-mix, ilhot mixes etc etc ). and it´s kind a cool to find a cool loop in one track , and realy fast loop it in another track , just by pressing the number of beats you want to loop, instead of putting markers by yourself. It´s not all the time you have that loop prepared , sometimes you come up with some crazy ideas when you play .) Other then that , it´s all good.

thats already in 1.7.1 but its hidden (b/c its still in testing) look in the genral chat forum and search for Easter egg or cookie
Menace 3:28 PM - 15 February, 2007
I have changed my mind:

1. A stable version
and this will be fine, too:

2. Tracks shouldn`t turn green if just pre-listening ( www.scratchlive.net )
3. better skipless mode ( www.scratchlive.net )
4. auto loops / fixed loops ( www.scratchlive.net )
galacticbass 3:32 PM - 15 February, 2007
Quote:
I have changed my mind:

1. A stable version

I second that!
mobius909 9:44 PM - 15 February, 2007
1. i would like it to dispense crown royal directly into my veins through the mic out of the SSL BOX

2. i want it to make all the girls tops fall off while in auto loop

3. i want it to automatically mix every track automatically and read my mind of what i would like it to play. Personal interface.

Surprise me.
RussOne 1:03 AM - 16 February, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
I have changed my mind:

1. A stable version

I second that!

I 3rd!
galacticbass 2:19 AM - 16 February, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have changed my mind:

1. A stable version

I second that!

I 3rd!

Mac or PC RussOne?
RussOne 3:58 AM - 16 February, 2007
mac
galacticbass 11:21 AM - 16 February, 2007
Go figure, me too. Seems to be a finger pointing game goin on between Mac and Serato.
galacticbass 11:24 AM - 16 February, 2007
Quote:
I have changed my mind:

1. A stable version

Menance, you on a Mac too?

By the way I don't not under any circumstance believe it's Mac. I've tried switching the ports cause everyone keeps saying there is an issue with one, but has made no difference.
galacticbass 11:25 AM - 16 February, 2007
do not believe, sorry
galacticbass 11:26 AM - 16 February, 2007
Menace
dj disturbed 4:42 PM - 16 February, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
I have changed my mind:

1. A stable version

Menance, you on a Mac too?

By the way I don't not under any circumstance believe it's Mac. I've tried switching the ports cause everyone keeps saying there is an issue with one, but has made no difference.

I'm on mac and 1.7.1 is very very stable for me. I use it 4 days a week or more with NO problems EVER! (that were not my fault that is)
derby 5:22 PM - 16 February, 2007
Quote:
Go figure, me too. Seems to be a finger pointing game goin on between Mac and Serato.

except for the whole "everybody else with a music app having a problem with mac USB ports" deal.

also, macbooks running windows xp don't experience the USB issue.

it's an OSX USB implementation issue that will eventually (have to) be resolved on the apple end.
djtripp 2:37 AM - 17 February, 2007
More stuff i'd like to see...

1) Option to alphabetize or rearrange crates.

2) HD scan for tracks IN Serato. Nothing like missing a song and trying to dig through 300 Gigs of music.

3) Export Review As A Crate for playlists. Even a simple HTML file to post on your website.

This on will prolly never happen...

4) "Instant Mix" Be able to link tracks together for dual play. EXAMPLE.
I wanna drop the instrumental of a song that's already playing. I've got the BPM set at the same speed, I drop the track into the other player and BAM! The acapella for another song goes instantly to player 2 taking out the original song. If I set this up right I could have a live mash-up ready to go in seconds. It would be like instant doubles but more like "Instant Mix". I dunno. Just a wacky though
RussOne 5:28 AM - 17 February, 2007
Quote:
More stuff i'd like to see...

1) Option to alphabetize or rearrange crates.

2) HD scan for tracks IN Serato. Nothing like missing a song and trying to dig through 300 Gigs of music.

#1, I second

#2, this is why I love mac for this one. Just click on the folder or drive all your music is on, and type in what your lookin' (even if it's an idea of) for in the window's search tab. Whalah!
Menace 1:33 PM - 17 February, 2007
Quote:
Menace, you on a Mac too?

Yes, Intel Mac.
Menace 1:36 PM - 17 February, 2007
I am not concerned about USB problems, though. I have problems with bad control signals now - which I don`t have with version 1.6.1 .
galacticbass 4:35 PM - 17 February, 2007
I'm going back to 1.6.1 as soon as I can.
Menace 5:58 PM - 18 February, 2007
Right now I use 1.7.1 for overviews and 1.6.1 for my gigs. I am fine with it. I just need to backup two ScratchLIVE folders now - one for each version.
djradrich 8:54 PM - 18 February, 2007
it'd be nice to be able to sub-catagorize, like if i sort by artist, the ability to then sort artist by say bpm or album within the intial sort.
joe2037 9:03 PM - 18 February, 2007
Quote:
it'd be nice to be able to sub-catagorize, like if i sort by artist, the ability to then sort artist by say bpm or album within the intial sort.
I Agree scratchlive.net
whoami 11:05 PM - 18 February, 2007
i'd like to see spotlight search for us mac users...
would be nice to search the whole drive instead of the selected folder! :)
Menace 11:30 PM - 18 February, 2007
Quote:

I did already but I think it`s a kinda sad.

New features in new versions are worthless if new versions are unstable/buggy or the new features don`t work like they should. Serato should focus on repairing the bugs first. Otherwise these bugs will stay forever and Traktor could become first choice for DJ`s again.

At least Serato should think twice what to call a FINAL version. It`s really embarassing having sound problems with 1.7.1 in front of an audiance all of the sudden.
ACME 3:11 AM - 19 February, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

I did already but I think it`s a kinda sad.

New features in new versions are worthless if new versions are unstable/buggy or the new features don`t work like they should. Serato should focus on repairing the bugs first. Otherwise these bugs will stay forever and Traktor could become first choice for DJ`s again.

At least Serato should think twice what to call a FINAL version. It`s really embarassing having sound problems with 1.7.1 in front of an audiance all of the sudden.

Not everyone experiences sound problems, and none reported this issue during the beta.
Menace 1:38 PM - 19 February, 2007
The problem was reported on February 3rd. That was before the final version came out.
Jester- 1:39 PM - 19 February, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

click on review, then clear.

thanks m8 mucho appreciado !!
m0nster 2:25 PM - 19 February, 2007
maybe instead of serato having a mind of it's own, you have some processes/registry entries/ANY number of things that can go wrong with a clean install. I'm sure that 1.7.x is more cpu intensive when you have key lock on or something like that, bt it could be one of a 1000 factors that can effect any microsoft system.
ACME 3:19 PM - 19 February, 2007
Quote:
The problem was reported on February 3rd. That was before the final version came out.

yes but you know they can't work on a bug unless they are able to reproduce it.
Menace 4:43 PM - 19 February, 2007
they can wait for publishing a Final version, though
dj disturbed 5:15 PM - 19 February, 2007
Quote:

but alot of us dont have this issue... personaly 1.7.1 is very stable for me!!
Menace 5:33 PM - 19 February, 2007
Lucky you. Serato versions used to be good for everybody back in 2006, though.

As I said I`m fine with 1.6.1 - no problems at all. But if can`t take advantage of Seratos new features anymore and if the new Traktor Scratch hard- and software will work fine I might switch back. (I never thought I would ever write this.)

I just hope Serato will not become to Serato Crash Live.
m0nster 5:34 PM - 19 February, 2007
Lol, i suggest trying it on another machine, it might be wipey wipey format time for your OS install.
nik39 5:38 PM - 19 February, 2007
Quote:

There is always someone having problems. The question is whether its a SSL software problem or something different.
Menace 5:49 PM - 19 February, 2007
For me it`s obvious.
nik39 6:06 PM - 19 February, 2007
Well lucky enough you dont belong to the developers :)
Menace 6:16 PM - 19 February, 2007
you forgot "bug" between "the" and "developers" :-)
m0nster 6:22 PM - 19 February, 2007
Quote:

How do you know this?
I like how you take your general experiances and apply it to EVERYONE, EVERYONE was fine with 1.6.x now EVERYONE has problems with 1.7.x, maybe it's just you, or your machines, or a virus, or anything.....
Menace 6:22 PM - 19 February, 2007
or maybe not
Menace 6:24 PM - 19 February, 2007
I am outta here. Back to:

What do you want to see in Version 1.8?
nik39 6:58 PM - 19 February, 2007
Quote:
you forgot "bug" between "the" and "developers" :-)

I think you should get banned for that comment because thats a clear insult towards the developers.
Pete Moss 7:46 PM - 19 February, 2007
Problems vary from computer to computer. I'm finding 1.7 to be the most trouble-free release yet for me.
Menace 7:51 PM - 19 February, 2007
yeah right, first don`t forget the smiley behind my comment and second would it be strange to get banned and getting a present from Serato for previous helps at the same time

it`s really strange that this came from you, nik39

where`s the exit from this dicussion :-)
nik39 8:09 PM - 19 February, 2007
Menace, ryte, yeah you deserved the bag. :)
AKIEM 9:40 PM - 19 February, 2007
Pete, can you vinyl scroll?
djtripp 10:53 PM - 19 February, 2007
I fixed my car once...

1) Inflate-a-flat bundled with every new pair of control vinyl.
The Juggler 4:54 PM - 20 February, 2007
1. Sampler
2. VISTA Support
3. More Colors for the Tracks
4. Video :-)
5. Auto Save the playlyst I play

I Love My SSL ! ! !
RussOne 3:24 AM - 21 February, 2007
Being able to highlight, copy and paste your playlist to say, like, Text Edit, etc.
mistamixx 8:51 AM - 21 February, 2007
Everything a dj needs is in SSL 1.7.1 now! I would like to see SSL 1.8 be less resourse demanding.
RussOne 8:41 PM - 21 February, 2007
Quote:
Everything a dj needs is in SSL 1.7.1 now! I would like to see SSL 1.8 be less resourse demanding.

True dat! After all, I thought thats why the interface is stand alone. ..... and more stability concerning the usb dropout issue etc,. Then again, maybe these so-called issues will be resolved once Leopard is released. Hopefully!
PhatBlankZ 2:05 PM - 22 February, 2007
Is it possible to create a Beat Lock mechanism for serato, where once you have the beats lined up and you have them playing at the same tempo you can hit the beat lock button and it will hold the beats together.
For instance if i have track one playing and i have track 2 cued & ready to go, now soon as i drop in track 2 & i see the beats are lined up i hit the Beat lock button and it holds the beats together.

I am not looking for some AUTO MIX BUTTON, because that would detract from the skill of beat mixing. But in my experiance(7yrs) of using vinyls i have never had the fluctuations i experiance with FS, yes there are fluctuations while using 12 inch vinlys but no where near as bad as the fluctuations that i experiance in FS.

All i am suggesting is once you have beat matched the 2 songs using the good old ear method--
(which is how i beat mix)
(some of you might use the waveforms to beat mix i regard this as cheating and only 1 step away from a auto mix button, Djs of the old skool who never had a visual aid & relied totally on their ears, in my opinion this is how DJ's should mix)
--you then hit the beat lock button and it holds the beats together.

I dont believe this detracts from the skill of beat mixing because you have already done all the work yourself to get to this point. All it offers is peace of mind especially if you like to do long mixes, which is something i like to do. There will be those of you out there who will disagree but if thats the case then simply dont use the Beat Lock Button, it should be down to the INDIVIDUAL user to decide!!!
mrflex 2:47 PM - 22 February, 2007
In reply the above comment, that is almost like an auto-mix scenario.

Why would you want it? If you are good enough to get it to a tight enough level, you won't even need to press a button to prolong it, a simple nudge of the record here and there will keep the mix going strong.

From a turntablist point of view i can see where you are coming from (eg if you have say 5 decks and you were making a tune with all of them), but realistically this wouldn't be the case.

Essentially you're asking a pitch lock to stop the pitch DEAD, with 0 fluctuations? There is one flaw in that it is night impossible to keep the beat held dead on, it will inevitably be 0.11111% off, therefore a LOCK would be useless, as you would encounter the same drift as any normal turntable.

The other method of 'beatkeeping' again, in my opinion is cheating :).

What would i like to see in version 1.8?

No bloatage, lets remember what SSL is for, its to replicate vinyl records END OF. Some comments are amazing asking SSL to do their laundry for them. I don't need samplers, loops, effects. If people were that serious they would invest in a mixer/hardware that would encompass all of those things, serato should be kept to pure, solid vinyl emulation. ;)

Hopefully when P&T plugin arrives, 1.8?

I would like a pitch range option to change the pitch range, imagine -6% to +6%, amazing accuracy!

My $0.02 :)
ACME 3:59 PM - 22 February, 2007
Let's face it, Automix is coming, sooner or later.
Why not, really?
You can always choose not to use it.
nik39 4:07 PM - 22 February, 2007
Quote:
Let's face it, Automix is coming, sooner or later.

Uhm, no. Someone from the mods wrote that automix is not something they want to add.
dj skraps 4:38 PM - 22 February, 2007
(some of you might use the waveforms to beat mix i regard this as cheating and only 1 step away from a auto mix button, Djs of the old skool who never had a visual aid & relied totally on their ears, in my opinion this is how DJ's should mix)

Phatblankz,

they never had a beat lock mech. either....this comment is so contridicting. we all need to move with the times and stop hating on new technology.

lets keep it real and keep ridin in our horses and carriges :)
m0nster 5:10 PM - 22 February, 2007
you can stick to your old beliefs, and we all know it takes more skill, but it doesn't mean it's something people that just jump on SSL are going to teach themselves, they will use the aid of the visuals.

Do you still cook over open fire with using sticks to start it? Do you sit at home in the dark because those new people with electricty are cheating? sometimes things change, even if you hate it, or think it's for the worse it's jst the way it is...
ACME 5:36 PM - 22 February, 2007
At a certain point it will just make sense to implement auto mix.
It's just not that time yet.
PhatBlankZ 6:14 PM - 22 February, 2007
dj skraps i fail to see how i am contradicting myself. care to clarify your comment...

they never had a beat lock back in the day because they never had final scratch(thats a no brainer really) - if they had both i think it would be safe to say they would have used both. Its really up to the INDIVIDUAL.

Please read what i am saying carefully - i am NOT looking for a AUTO MIX, AUTO BEAT or a AUTO FUNKY MONKEY BUTTON.
All i am suggesting is once you have beat matched the 2 songs using the good old ear method you then hit the beat lock button and it holds the beats together. I beat mix using my ears, having spun nothing but 12 inch vinyls for 7years I had no choice….

The Visual aid is as just as good as a AUTO MIX, AUTO BEAT or a AUTO FUNKY MONKEY BUTTON - y did they put that in then in the 1st place if we are all such bloody purists.

Technology is there for a purpose, lets embrace & make the most of it – lets give people a chance to make up there own minds whether they choose to use some new gadget or not.

If we all stayed purists where would human evolution be???

If something really irritates then just dont use, its as simple as that.
djhitman_3am 7:12 PM - 22 February, 2007
hi. interesting argument here ^^

anyhow, back on topic... changes for SSLv1.8. as i've just posted in another thread:

BIGGER ACTUAL/REAL-TIME/CURRENT BPM READOUT. Here's a jpg I made to illustrate.

www.3amrecords.com

...thanks. carry on. :)
skinnyguy 7:48 PM - 22 February, 2007
auto-mix, nah...but beat lock, i can see being implemented.

and i wouldn't mind if ssl DID do my laundry too...as long as it's optional and doesn't take up much resources =P
digital_steve 10:21 PM - 22 February, 2007
How many times is this argument played out over and over
mistamixx 12:48 AM - 23 February, 2007
I've been djing over 20 years and it makes me sick to hear people asking for beat lock and auto mix!
ACME 1:25 AM - 23 February, 2007
maybe you are only getting older.

lol
ekwipt 7:09 AM - 23 February, 2007
I think if you want beat locks buy a set of CDJs the pitch doesn't fluctuate
galacticbass 7:30 AM - 23 February, 2007
Quote:
Is it possible to create a Beat Lock mechanism for serato, where once you have the beats lined up and you have them playing at the same tempo you can hit the beat lock button and it will hold the beats together.
For instance if i have track one playing and i have track 2 cued & ready to go, now soon as i drop in track 2 & i see the beats are lined up i hit the Beat lock button and it holds the beats together.

I am not looking for some AUTO MIX BUTTON, because that would detract from the skill of beat mixing. But in my experiance(7yrs) of using vinyls i have never had the fluctuations i experiance with FS, yes there are fluctuations while using 12 inch vinlys but no where near as bad as the fluctuations that i experiance in FS.

All i am suggesting is once you have beat matched the 2 songs using the good old ear method--
(which is how i beat mix)
--you then hit the beat lock button and it holds the beats together.

I dont believe this detracts from the skill of beat mixing because you have already done all the work yourself to get to this point. All it offers is peace of mind especially if you like to do long mixes, which is something i like to do. There will be those of you out there who will disagree but if thats the case then simply dont use the Beat Lock Button, it should be down to the INDIVIDUAL user to decide!!!

I want 1.8 to turn the eq's for me.
PhatBlankZ 8:20 AM - 23 February, 2007
Quote:
I want 1.8 to turn the eq's for me.

oohhh you know what they say about sarcasm, but seeing that we all being stpuid here, i want version 1.8 to..

.wipe my ass
.download my porn
.bye my weed
.roll my spliffs
.make my MDMA
.jerk/suck me off when i need it
.auto find all my tunes in soulseek
.spit out money when i need it
.make sure there is a good swell when i go surf
.bring out all the chicago house DJ's to South Africa
.destroy oil
.destroy the Bush Family/ actually lets do this properly - destroy AMERICA
.heal the world
.promote peace love and happyness

i can go on & on - Serato team please do all the above for version 1.8

ps: can you make Mandella president again - he really is a good guy :-)
PhatBlankZ 10:53 AM - 23 February, 2007
oh & short cut keys for all the above will be sweet!
djtripp 9:45 PM - 23 February, 2007
Quote:
suck me off when i need it

CTRL B+J
simonak 7:17 PM - 24 February, 2007
1.where are the customisable keyboard layouts???
or at least a more symmetrical option to match the vertical ergonomics of decks/mixer etc,
also..shorter short cuts!..ive got enough to be concentrating on with decks and cross faders to also have to try press and hold ctrl/option and keys, why could make it so ctrl/option only has to be pressed once to activate-so to set loop point i would press ctrl then 1 instead of both at once, quicker one handed operations-maybe this could be highlighted on screen or only last for 2 secs..

2.which leads me to the screen layout in general
-imo it seems that a load of space is being wasted by the currently loaded track info
i can hear whats playing so i dont need it in massive writing-meanwhile i get to fiddle about with the mouse trying to click on tiny buttons-why not put the current loaded track inside the virtual decks and fill the space around the decks with some bigger buttons?

other than that no complaints...1.7.1 works a charm, auto bpm did not work on alot of stuff but the tap counter is great..
great stuff altogether:)
Lexdiggy 7:50 AM - 26 February, 2007
We want efx, some live efx
Snap a neck for some live efx.
LOUISMARCOS 7:57 PM - 26 February, 2007
I like the bigger buttons idea..... there too small
galacticbass 8:03 AM - 27 February, 2007
Quote:
Snap a neck for some live efx.

Asking fot trouble to have Serato do it for you, I'll be surprized if they do it. If they do, look forward to bugzzzzzz.
djaleksei 9:20 AM - 27 February, 2007
1. Vista support
1. Effects (Filters like Xone mixers)
1. Midi
1. Auto Loop
vexkon 8:04 PM - 27 February, 2007
1. Midi sync support via USB on 57

2. sampler/3rd internal TT on 57

3. VST support

(and better beat-matching views)
Sparky 9:15 PM - 27 February, 2007
Quote:

That'd do me.

But better loop controls would be nice. eg time buttons like on an efx but for true looping rather than echos
HeaVyyNeSsS 9:58 PM - 27 February, 2007
1. Find the cause of drop outs on mac's(not many different spec's except for ram and software. Do barebone tests with different ram levels)
2. Better external hardrive support(some people have drives that sleep... have serato auto touch all drives to keep them active
3. Maybe a start from scratch, relay the foundation, sometimes its necessary to patch the holes that already exist.

I would just like flawless play with any system but at least macs since they have about the same specs!
Pete Moss 11:18 PM - 27 February, 2007
Quote:
2. Better external hardrive support(some people have drives that sleep... have serato auto touch all drives to keep them active

Absolutely
RussOne 8:08 AM - 28 February, 2007
Quote:
1. Find the cause of drop outs on mac's(not many different spec's except for ram and software. Do barebone tests with different ram levels)
3. Maybe a start from scratch, relay the foundation, sometimes its necessary to patch the holes that already exist.

I would just like flawless play with any system but at least macs since they have about the same specs!

What HeaVyy said. Can't be more simply put. The USB dropout issue is straight up insurgency (Shit kills me, especially at the gigs that count).
derby 4:08 PM - 28 February, 2007
again, i thought that the USB issue on macs was determined to be a USB implementation issue on the apple side.

also, regarding external drives in windows, you should be able to turn "powersave" off on the USB port/drive to keep them active.
dj disturbed 5:58 PM - 28 February, 2007
Quote:

also, regarding external drives in windows, you should be able to turn "powersave" off on the USB port/drive to keep them active.

BUT some drives habe it built into the firmware of the drive..... on those drives you cant change that
psyCodEd 10:08 PM - 28 February, 2007
still would love to see support for 3rd party VST-plugins
Pete Moss 12:31 AM - 1 March, 2007
Quote:
BUT some drives habe it built into the firmware of the drive..... on those drives you cant change that

But if Serato could keep it busy every few minutes with a 'blip' of some kind, it won't go to sleep.
Mix Master Jay 5:34 AM - 1 March, 2007
i would love to see some 1.sound fx
2. upload your own sound fx
RussOne 9:00 AM - 1 March, 2007
Quote:
again, i thought that the USB issue on macs was determined to be a USB implementation issue on the apple side.

Actually Derby, I stand corrected. It is an apple issue. Something I find Dumbassed on they're part. I certainly can't repeat what was explained to me (I'm not well versed verbally in Tech), but I do know it has something to do with power distribution amongst the ports. An issue I'm dissappointed to see associated with Apple.
RussOne 9:03 AM - 1 March, 2007
Quote:
i would love to see some 1.sound fx
2. upload your own sound fx

Hey Jay, see if this helps any......
www.zshare.net
Aeroplanedope 3:27 PM - 1 March, 2007
I would like to see:-

*Hi and lo Eqing (2 or 3 band) settings that are saved to the track like the gain setting.

*Vinyl sticker image (circular) on the spinning vinyl for each track.

*MP3 Repair function for bad mp3s that sound ok but for some reason show up as corrupt.

*File organisation system that could automatically remove dupicate files and prompt the user when there are files with very similar overviews (i.e. two files that are the same track but different recording qualities and/or bitrate.

*screen resolution support for displaying on HD LCD TV screens

*row colour (basically, the colour u change the spinning disc to for that track also changes the row colour for that track so its easier to spot than a little dot). This might look a bit silly though so i'm not sure about that one.

I don't think thats asking too much although i doubt I'll see many of these features till ssl v2
DJ SLeven7 6:00 PM - 1 March, 2007
Ok i'm new to this forum. I would like to see one thing on 1.8! I use MixMeister beat analyzer, it often doubles my BPM's on slower hip hop tracks. I have to go in and manually change them. I would like to see a little button or something next to the BPM's that divides the BPM in half. Thats all I need.
djkevinz 4:51 AM - 2 March, 2007
Quote:

*screen resolution support for displaying on HD LCD TV screens

This is entirely a function of the video card on your computer.
phrils 8:05 AM - 2 March, 2007
integrated recording options
cMo 8:17 PM - 11 April, 2007
Quote:
1. Splice www.scratchlive.net This is a must for radio DJ's who do quick mixes.
2. Crossfade option (0-10 seconds) with auto play.
3. ASIO while Serato is Open.
4. MIDI
5. Ability to listen, set cues, order etc tracks w/o the S-S-L box attached to it. "Crippled Mode" where you can have one deck, no effects, no pitch, Internal mode only for setting cue points, BPMs and loops. with out the SSL box connected
6. PnT
7. Soft links / Crates linked to folders & Alphabetical sorting of crates or sub crates
7. Some EFX already
8. Sample Drops and assignable quick scratches.
9. Overview builds w/ Auto Gain & Auto BPM while Serato is plugged in.
10. Live Auto BPM while song is loaded.

CTRL T for Auto Loops is the SH*T!!!!

Some good stuff here.

My list:
1. As everyone has said - MIDI learn as found in Live 6 (just in case we want to try out other hardware)

2. A Rane MIDI controller that is the BEST for SCRATCHING on the market - I think Rane can do that somehow. Records are out, but they still have the best feel. (so we can ditch the 300 pound DJ setup)

3. Backup your work everytime you move audio files to different folders in your browser, change tag info, etc. - ie Read the hard drive like it reads iTunes.
J.J. 11:41 PM - 11 April, 2007
Yes sir that's some good stuff cMo.

I wish the crates recognized the songs in the folders. If the song is there in the directory folder, it will show up like windows explorer. If it was moved, it won't be there. No more backing up folders every time. Especially for the DJ's with a new iBook that goes to sleep when not in use. No more automatic deletes.
Nicky Blunt 10:56 AM - 12 April, 2007
auto tagger so ath you can change file names to song names in an automated process.

More accurate bpm counter!

read hard drive like iTunes (thats a must for me)

oh and to provide a hot chick to stand by me every time i use it telling me how sexy i am and that im the best dj she has ever seen!
georgevegas 11:20 AM - 12 April, 2007
What I would like to see is the ability to use the loop function in the "abs" mode.

Also the abilty to customise the size of fonts in the track listing. On My Laptop the fonts are small and I have to get close to the screen to see what tracks to play. Adding some basic effects like doubling reverb, etc who be wicked
derby 1:46 PM - 12 April, 2007
Quote:
What I would like to see is the ability to use the loop function in the "abs" mode.

the only way i really see this working would be if you try to loop in ABS, it automatically switches to REL. if not, your ABSolute needle position would not match what was playing during/after the loop.
Marky D 10:15 PM - 12 April, 2007
A field for the "key of the song" for more harmonic mixing.
Nicky Blunt 12:10 PM - 13 April, 2007
Quote:

good call!

& A feature that reads the key of the song would be awesome!
revere 2:41 PM - 13 April, 2007
defintiely would love to see MIDI added so i can use a controller with the program, would make serato such a beast if it was added

more control over pitch in internal mode, say for example you loop a snare and then want to make a roll out out of it by pitching up so it makes like a roll, to do this atm you hvae to flick through the different speeds & increase pitch, without a midi controller , no midi yet in serato :( ,it makes it very difficult/near impossible to switch back to normal speed quick enough
steven wynen 5:22 PM - 13 April, 2007
protect crates when 'protect library' is on.

www.scratchlive.net
SpinThis! 6:23 PM - 15 April, 2007
Quote:

use the grouping tag for this.
mexicannnnnn 6:46 PM - 15 April, 2007
Ok I'm going to change my top 3 to:

1. More effects / features for TTM57
2. Smarter Subcrates (that link to folders and auto pick up folder changes).
3. Ability to set cue points ...etc without being connected.
galacticbass 3:52 AM - 16 April, 2007
An acurate way to test "wow and Flutter"
AKIEM 7:28 AM - 16 April, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

the only way i really see this working would be if you try to loop in ABS, it automatically switches to REL. if not, your ABSolute needle position would not match what was playing during/after the loop.

Unless the loops had an adjustable cycle. That would give the song a real lengh everytime.
derby 2:19 PM - 16 April, 2007
Quote:

wow and flutter is usually caused by a non-centered spindle hole or a warped record.

in the case of SSL, you should be able to notice both of things without 'testing' for it.
mikeTOOtall 5:19 PM - 16 April, 2007
1. Support for FLAC
2. The ability to play FLAC files
3. A wider variety of Codec support, such as FLAC
DJDQ 7:48 PM - 16 April, 2007
1. Support for AAC
2. Support for AAC
3. Third deck
4. Tracks do not turn green if you are pre-listening
RussOne 1:01 AM - 17 April, 2007
I definitely need an option to lock/unlock cue points and loops once they're set.
(One mistake of pressing the wrong button in heat of the moment, and your setting's gone.)
m0nster 1:21 AM - 17 April, 2007
A way to sort songs in playlists by overviews built/unbuilt

Save time trying to sort out building overviews for tracks i need to build
SpinThis! 5:34 AM - 17 April, 2007
Quote:
I definitely need an option to lock/unlock cue points and loops once they're set.

you can lock loops now by click the loop's number in the selector...
galacticbass 8:05 AM - 17 April, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

wow and flutter is usually caused by a non-centered spindle hole or a warped record.

in the case of SSL, you should be able to notice both of things without 'testing' for it.

In cases that you wonder if your crazy or drunk or your tables are just fucked it would be nice to have a quick reference to look at. In the caliaration area would be nice.
evvster 8:46 PM - 17 April, 2007
Quote:

Yes... Please!
evvster 8:47 PM - 17 April, 2007
Quote:
(One mistake of pressing the wrong button in heat of the moment, and your setting's gone.)

Yay... that too
nouss 9:39 PM - 17 April, 2007
i want that serato refresh the folders without delete it and later re-insert it. it is very sorrow.
deepdjdanny 7:46 AM - 18 April, 2007
Free Porn!
Johnny 1 Move 10:22 AM - 18 April, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

what about looping in ABS in a similar way to the way censor does reverse? Ie it jumps back to the proper position when you stop looping. With accurate beat locked loops that would be pretty cool, for example if you looped bars 3 and 4 an extra 2 times it would play:

1 2 3 4 3 4 3 4 9 10 11 12

which might be interesting :-)
deejaysomething 12:40 PM - 18 April, 2007
Quote:
what about looping in ABS in a similar way to the way censor does reverse? Ie it jumps back to the proper position when you stop looping.

I'd really like to see an option for cue points to do this.

So, without having to double, you could drop your favourite sample/break/bar of a track for as long as the cue button was held down... and then when you let go of the cue it jumps back to the previous part of the track, just like the censor.
RussOne 5:01 AM - 19 April, 2007
Quote:
what about looping in ABS in a similar way to the way censor does reverse? Ie it jumps back to the proper position when you stop looping. With accurate beat locked loops that would be pretty cool, for example if you looped bars 3 and 4 an extra 2 times it would play:

That's very possible and would definitely be cool. Actually the Digitech "Time Machine 7.6" and "RDS 2001" performed that same function. Almost every West Indian DJ sound system was equipt with one way back. It was hot shit in terms of real time performance then.
DJ GI-NYC 8:06 PM - 19 April, 2007
1.i48.photobucket.com
2.i48.photobucket.com
3.i48.photobucket.com

FULL COLOR BAR FLAGGING!
PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!
Pete Moss 9:50 PM - 19 April, 2007
Quote:
1.i48.photobucket.com
2.i48.photobucket.com
3.i48.photobucket.com

FULL COLOR BAR FLAGGING!
PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!

Very nice idea
skinnyguy 7:40 AM - 20 April, 2007
i like that
DJ Cue (aka Max G. Faraday) 10:45 PM - 21 April, 2007
Album art on either side of the display decks. (to the left of the left deck, and to the right of the right deck) I'd like to see the artwork of the music that is currently loaded for each deck. not just the little picture on the bottom left for what you are browsing through. The visual connection between the art and the music is something that is pretty potent and I find that I miss that in this digital world.

my $0.02 :-)
Pete Moss 1:42 AM - 22 April, 2007
NEW IDEA!!!

When alphebetizing, ignore 'The' and start alphebtizing at the second word. I saw another unrelated software do this, and thought it was a good idea.

Now before someone else says it, I do try to omit the 'the', but don't always catch them.

btw - DJ Cue, I like your idea w/ the art.
ekwipt 2:00 AM - 22 April, 2007
Corresponding tracks on decks are highlighted file browser in either blue or orange and tracks are able to be chosen via seperate midi knobs.

Knob 1 - Left Deck (Orange)
Knob 2 - Right Deck (Blue)

Scroll file browser by turning, push in to drop on deck

++++++++++++ everything to be midi mapped to different controllers
Daim 11:57 AM - 22 April, 2007
.wl file support by this editor: www.audioease.com
Daim 12:03 PM - 22 April, 2007
without the option to convert wl to mp3 of course
derby 12:16 PM - 22 April, 2007
Quote:
NEW IDEA!!!

When alphebetizing, ignore 'The' and start alphebtizing at the second word. I saw another unrelated software do this, and thought it was a good idea.

Now before someone else says it, I do try to omit the 'the', but don't always catch them.

itunes behaves this way.
AKIEM 6:18 PM - 22 April, 2007
Quote:

thanks for the link, that will be really handy
Daim 7:01 PM - 22 April, 2007
yes waiting for it a while now
prizo 6:53 AM - 23 April, 2007
Quote:

haha wouldnt that be great!
Nicky Blunt 10:16 AM - 23 April, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Only if you have the ability to turn it off!

As not all of us play in places where radio edits are acceptable.

I still want my cuss words!!!!
dj disturbed 5:01 PM - 23 April, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Only if you have the ability to turn it off!

As not all of us play in places where radio edits are acceptable.

I still want my cuss words!!!!

the peeps around here dontlike hearing the edited ver of songs... BUT the A.L.E. (thet Alcohol Law Enforcment.. the guys who bust clubs for selling underage and other Alcohol, drug, and prostitution issues) will fine you for playing tracks with too much cussing.. they will over look the occational shit, fuck, or god damn.. but much more then that.. the club get a fine and the DJ or MC get a Fine and posibly goes to jail for the night
skinnyguy 7:27 PM - 23 April, 2007
closest thing to auto censoring...

scratchlive.net

the LC (aka Liquor Commission = ALE)here are just as strict, if not stricter. a fellow dj i know had his record CONFISCATED. yep, after hearing the offensive song (tupac - how do you want it) with swearing in it went over to the dj booth and asked for the record and confiscated it. my friend went to court or some sorta hearing for it and apparently it's within their jurisdiction to do that here. try as he might, he never got the record back either.
lm_mouglie 10:51 PM - 23 April, 2007
hot cues for loops so each loop has its own key and are nameable
Pete Moss 10:55 PM - 23 April, 2007
I've never heard of liquor enforcement policing music? I hope Pennsylvania's LCB doesn't get any ideas.
RussOne 2:48 AM - 24 April, 2007
Quote:

Quote:
April 19, 2007, 12:01 AM
Quote:

That's very possible and would definitely be cool. Actually the Digitech "Time Machine 7.6" and "RDS 2001" performed that same function. Almost every West Indian DJ sound system was equipt with one way back. It was hot shit in terms of real time performance then.

Quote:
hot cues for loops so each loop has its own key and are nameable

I concurr!
RussOne 2:51 AM - 24 April, 2007
Quote:
closest thing to auto censoring...

scratchlive.net

the LC (aka Liquor Commission = ALE)here are just as strict, if not stricter. a fellow dj i know had his record CONFISCATED. yep, after hearing the offensive song (tupac - how do you want it) with swearing in it went over to the dj booth and asked for the record and confiscated it. my friend went to court or some sorta hearing for it and apparently it's within their jurisdiction to do that here. try as he might, he never got the record back either.

Isn't that freedom of speech violation? WTF!
AKIEM 3:38 AM - 24 April, 2007
havnt you heard? the constitution has been abolished
Nicky Blunt 8:35 AM - 24 April, 2007
Damn, Kinda makes me glad to be British!
None of that over here yet!
jfk 8:15 PM - 24 April, 2007
better on the fly looping like in traktor!
DJ von Cyber 10:19 PM - 24 April, 2007
- Tracks shouldn`t turn green or come in the played list if just pre-listening.

- I'd like autoplay to swap between 2 decks, and crossfade.
Just set to autopilot, and have the crossfade set at 15 sec.

- Have a automatic crates that have the most played songs.
If we put in 100 in the setup it will include the 100 most played songs.
djamenra 11:55 PM - 24 April, 2007
I dont know if anyone said anythin about this..but how about adding two more lines in the back end of it..so we can use 3 or even 4 CDs at the same time, like 2 Records n 1 Cd player or vice versa!!!
RussOne 3:28 AM - 25 April, 2007
Sounds like you guys just need to get Torque (no offense intended)!
vidoona 8:47 AM - 25 April, 2007
Quote:
I dont know if anyone said anythin about this....

Hmm....I'm gonna guess it's been suggested or discussed no less than 20 or 30 times. The search box is amazing. Give it a try.
DJ Dooby 6:02 PM - 25 April, 2007
Hi Guys! definitely Serato is missing:

- for beat juggling in rel mode: having the same track on both decks, both the control record should be on the same postion which means that marks on both the records get synchronized(identical synchronized marks as it is on the screen)
- A SMALL PHRASE SAMPLER such as the one in Alcatech's Digi Scratch!!!
- scroll trough covers view as it is in the new i-tunes version

peace, Dooby
vidoona 8:07 PM - 25 April, 2007
Quote:
for beat juggling in rel mode: having the same track on both decks, both the control record should be on the same postion which means that marks on both the records get synchronized(identical synchronized marks as it is on the screen)

You can do this already by holding both control vinyl markers in the same position and then jumping to the same cue point on each virtual deck in Serato.
dj disturbed 8:08 PM - 25 April, 2007
Quote:

- scroll trough covers view as it is in the new i-tunes version

peace, Dooby

have you used that with LARGE lib? IT SUCKS ASS... if you do it with small lib its great.... but when you get into a large lib seaching like that slows to a crawl and iTunes hangs up every other min while it loads more covers into ram.
nik39 3:37 PM - 3 May, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
for beat juggling in rel mode: having the same track on both decks, both the control record should be on the same postion which means that marks on both the records get synchronized(identical synchronized marks as it is on the screen)

You can do this already by holding both control vinyl markers in the same position and then jumping to the same cue point on each virtual deck in Serato.

But how to achieve this while playing?
vidoona 6:46 PM - 3 May, 2007
Well you'd do it on one deck first and let it start playing, then quickly cue up the other day before you start actually juggling. It works for me pretty well and I don't even juggle very much.
mistamixx 2:38 AM - 15 May, 2007
I would like the Serato team to take a small pause on new features, and make all the great features we have now run using less computer resourses.
RussOne 5:00 AM - 15 May, 2007
Quote:
I would like the Serato team to take a small pause on new features, and make all the great features we have now run using less computer resourses.

.....True dat, True dat!
sojourn 3:50 AM - 18 May, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

.....True dat, True dat!

Actually, if you look back through both its history and these threads, this is "Team-Serato" priority numero uno.

As frequently as upgrade versions have been released in the last year, they would be much faster and more frequent if this approach was sacrificed.

If resources were not a main concern and standard at Rane/Serato, SSL would never have been been developed and released by them in the first place, and it would not be lableled as a Rane/Serato product. (As is currently the case with most sustainable product in the industry. A natural evolution, when you think about it. If the product cannot compete up to its expected and established industry standard, it will not exist for long.)

Trust, if it's a Rane/Serato product, and it's available to the public, the resources/lag/CPU questions have been visited repeatedly in R&D in the very least, and proven in final release for all practical purposes*.

*This statement is based on corroborated current and evolving research and cross-comparison of available industry product as of this writing.
Menace 4:37 AM - 18 May, 2007
For me it`s not a resourses question - it`s rather a question if new features after 1.6.1 (Mac)ruined SSL`s stabilty or good sound during DJ`ing.
dj disturbed 4:40 AM - 18 May, 2007
Quote:
For me it`s not a resourses question - it`s rather a question if new features after 1.6.1 (Mac)ruined SSL`s stabilty or good sound during DJ`ing.

they didnt mess up the stability for me or sound bad either.... 1.7.2 works GREAt and sounds GREAT and i'm sure that 1.8 will be the same with new things that peeps have been asking for
sojourn 5:59 AM - 18 May, 2007
Quote:
Aeroplanedope:

I would like to see:-

*Hi and lo Eqing (2 or 3 band) settings that are saved to the track like the gain setting.

This feature has existed since v1.3:
scratchlive.net
...is that what you meant?

Quote:
Aeroplanedope:

*MP3 Repair function for bad mp3s that sound ok but for some reason show up as corrupt.

I think Serato wishes to have bad files/specs/reports sent here:
scratchlive.net
...MODs/Anyone, is this still the case? Has this changed?

Quote:
Aeroplanedope:

*File organisation system that could automatically remove dupicate files and prompt the user when there are files with very similar overviews (i.e. two files that are the same track but different recording qualities and/or bitrate.

Some users have suggested the following:
scratchlive.net
and
scratchlive.net (not sure if there is a PC-equivalent app)
THC_Electra 12:46 AM - 24 May, 2007
1. AAC Support, and protected AAC support.

2. Auto/Seemless Instant Loops like on the CDJ 800.

3.- Save Set Playlist. SSL Can't record your set cause you're controling it from an external mixer, but at least it should be able to save your set playlist.

4.- Songs shouldn't turn green right away

I'm big on item 3.
DJUltimate 12:48 AM - 24 May, 2007
Quote:

3.- Save Set Playlist. SSL Can't record your set cause you're controling it from an external mixer, but at least it should be able to save your set playlist

i like it!!
THC_Electra 12:49 AM - 24 May, 2007
Ooops, I actually forgot my #1 Feature Suggestion: I would like the Serato SEARCH function to act and react in the same way that iTunes searches.

If you search in iTunes, the browser window will show all the items in your search query, as well as the tracks below. It helps manage the searches much better and makes it easier ( I think) to find the exact song you want, quickly, in case you don't know the exact title of it.

Thanks.

Rock on fellow DJ's and Scratch Live techs
Pete Moss 3:14 AM - 24 May, 2007
Quote:

3.- Save Set Playlist. SSL Can't record your set cause you're controling it from an external mixer, but at least it should be able to save your set playlist

I save all my playlists. Drag the review list into a new folder.
DJWeedmark 4:04 AM - 24 May, 2007
heres a small feature suggestion, functionality that utilizes the 'scroll' mouse button. i use a logitech mx revolution with the free scroll so it would be handy to scroll whatever list is focused wether it be the Genre, BPM, Artist, Album, Song list.

thanks for letting me put in my 2 cents, keep up the great work, great product.
dj disturbed 4:10 AM - 24 May, 2007
hmmm....... my scroll wheel on my logitech works fine......Is that what you are talking about? I have the mx-518, mx-500 and an MX-900 Bluetooth optical andthe all work GREAT with SSL... but then again.. I dont use the Logitech Software controller for them.. i use a 3rd party one... the Logitech Controll center is known to not work right with other programs.
Evil_banana 9:49 AM - 24 May, 2007
1. extended usage of artwork like farm1.static.flickr.com It would help to get the vinyl-crate-feeling back.

2. Selecting multiple crates in the cratelist or genres or BPM's in the browse-view. Would help finding stuff, you could select a range of BPM's or different kinds of "dance"-music.

3. Disabling parts from the GUI (like the spinning records, or the "beatmatching"-part (I don't actually look much at it while spinning, but it would give me more space when looking for songs. Or variant, => at least disable those things when interface is not connected, so there would be more room for the tracklists and a better overview when you're organizing. (as an addiction to that, allow playing of the songs on some basic internal deck or on an external application, I really don't know tens of thousands of songs by heart, you know)

4. Saving playlists
Pete Moss 10:20 AM - 24 May, 2007
Quote:
1. extended usage of artwork like farm1.static.flickr.com It would help to get the vinyl-crate-feeling back.

The only problem I see is that there is no artwork for most of my 12's, only a black sleeve with a sticker. And two thirds of my CDs are Promo's or monthly subscriptions that don't have art. I know I'm not the only one who will not be googling thousands of album arts.
DJUltimate 12:19 PM - 24 May, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

The only problem I see is that there is no artwork for most of my 12's, only a black sleeve with a sticker. And two thirds of my CDs are Promo's or monthly subscriptions that don't have art. I know I'm not the only one who will not be googling thousands of album arts.

Yup, I'm with you. I wish there was a simpler way to get artwork. It sucks that you can only get the ALBUM artwork. What about the maxi-single artwork?
Evil_banana 12:32 PM - 24 May, 2007
No, you're certainly not the only one that doesn't like to google for these things. But for your 12's you can easily turn this into an automated process by photgraphing all your sleeves, batch-processing them with photoshop or something and then you only have to name them. And for CD's you can download most artwork automatically.

And for your promotional stuff... myes, that's right, you'll probably have to wait until it's released publicaly. But i also suspect that within 5 years you will probably recieve your promotional stuff digital on mp3 or something (cheaper and easier to distribute) and that most of them will have artwork since it's much easier to insert something.

But on the contrary to you, my collection contains only for 1/4th black sleeves. The rest is something original or a sleeve from the label (e.g. positiva) which is enough for me to recognize. Which is also a possibility, use the label-logo as artwork!

It's like tagging your files. Once you have done your collection, it's just a matter of maintenance, and updating the new stuff which is much less work.
WarpNote 1:13 PM - 24 May, 2007
Quote:

I guess thats down to how much effort you'd wanna put into that kinda thing. Personally I actually take snapshot of my records with a camera and pop the memorycard in for transfer, usally while digitizing those tracks. I guess some would think of this as waste of time, but personally i find it a lot more easy/nice/creative .. to able to dig through covers during a set.

For my black 12"s I normally just take picture of the label instead...

So Im all for a better "crate feeling".
dj smiley 01 1:18 PM - 24 May, 2007
please dont gripe at me, but im not sure if this has been posted yet! I would like it if you can just drag a folder as a whole into another section.
Evil_banana 1:29 PM - 24 May, 2007
Quote:
please dont gripe at me, but im not sure if this has been posted yet! I would like it if you can just drag a folder as a whole into another section.

I don't quite understand, please elaborate :o)
dj smiley 01 1:32 PM - 24 May, 2007
for example if you have a folder on your hard drive that you want to copy the whole thing currently you would have to drag each file one by one. it would be nice if you can just drag the whole entire folder. do you get me?
cappinkirk 6:41 PM - 24 May, 2007
1. Lossless
2. GUI (since now there isn't any)
3. no more pinks (resolve the file not found issue)
cappinkirk 6:43 PM - 24 May, 2007
& why don't the promo labels actually go the extra 3 inches and add overviews, art, official bpms and accurate titles for the tracks so that they are represented correctly and saves the DJ time? It makes their brand better!
Hendrik Meyer 7:47 PM - 24 May, 2007
Just my three demands:

1. play drm songs bought at the itunes shop.
2. automatic loop alignment to 32,16,8,4,1, whatever.
3. bring absolute and relative mode together. Allow looping in absolute mode, allow setting cue points. Go to first cue point or track beginning when the needle is set to the beginning of the record
4. A third deck would be nice. This would mean that two decks use absolute/relative mode and one internal mode
5. A small sampler with sampler browser. Samples can also be loops so I need a small browser to browse over my tracks/samples and choose the loops from the tracks. This sampler should be assignable to one of the decks so that it can be controlled via vinyl.
marx 8:37 PM - 24 May, 2007
Quote:
& why don't the promo labels actually go the extra 3 inches and add overviews, art, official bpms and accurate titles for the tracks so that they are represented correctly and saves the DJ time? It makes their brand better!

they should do that. thats what i would do if i was a rep.
Evil_banana 9:08 AM - 25 May, 2007
Quote:
Just my three demands:
4. A third deck would be nice. This would mean that two decks use absolute/relative mode and one internal mode
5. A small sampler with sampler browser. Samples can also be loops so I need a small browser to browse over my tracks/samples and choose the loops from the tracks. This sampler should be assignable to one of the decks so that it can be controlled via vinyl.

Yep, I abolutely feel those too! Especially 5, and make it like a crate with a shortcut or something, so you can do a quick scratch and go back to the previous track you already queued up or something
djtripp 9:24 AM - 25 May, 2007
I'd like to see a "Loop Lock Function" So Whenever I throw on a track it is set to ON. Helpfull for live mash-up and quick mix DJ's.

Also, The constant "Loop ON" feature would be great for moving to the next loop so I don't have to turn it on for the next loop i want in a track! Grrr!
Nicky Blunt 9:45 AM - 25 May, 2007
Quote:

co-mutha f(*&^n sign
WarpNote 7:26 AM - 26 May, 2007
1. Implement Artwork in browser and for loaded tracks: farm1.static.flickr.com

2. Better search/browse functions, able to pull tracks in within a certain genre, bpm range & key, with multiple selection of crates, playlists, genres, BPM, KeyKode, Artist, Album etc, (eg. the whole lot..) Could be implemented like iTunes smartlists: farm1.static.flickr.com and/or Rapid Evolution: farm1.static.flickr.com

3. Add Field/Tag for Keys: (ie keykode) www.mixshare.com

4. Enhanced Record Flagging Feature (MORE color/Clearer): i48.photobucket.com

5. Leave "green" tracks in review crate after Serato is closed down/crashed, for later saving to a crate. (eg when forgetting to do this after a busy night, or system failure)
djhitman_3am 5:23 PM - 26 May, 2007
OK, I know i've bitched about this before in this thread, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE for the love of God, make the size of the adjusted BPM (bpm after you adjust the pitch) BIGGER.

This is obviously an exaggeration, but I was hoping for something along these lines:
www.3amrecords.com

I love Serato, and I spin 4x/week with it. Unfortunately I've gone BLIND doing so, and without any joke, I'm getting Lasik now cuz my eyesight has gone to shit. In short, yeah, please... make the adjusted BPM bigger.

OH! And since we're already making suggestions, is there any way to have new versions of SSL be able to track when you change the folder the original mp3 is located in on your hard drive?

Thanks in advance.
AKIEM 9:49 PM - 26 May, 2007
agree
TheProfessa 11:33 PM - 28 May, 2007
I would like to see an integration of beatunes color matching with SSL. its hard to have both on the screen at the same time even with a 17" monitor, and its cool to be in the middle of a set and use find a color match in Beatunes and then drop that.
volcanik 5:41 PM - 29 May, 2007
1. A simple Jukebox feature that can crossfade into the next song. This would be great for us mobile DJs who have to play dinner/background music between our dance sets.

2. Relative mode loops and cue points to work in Absolute mode.

3. NO BEAT MATCHING! I think this would take up extra processing power, not to mention new djs who will never learn how to mix with their ears.
marx 5:44 PM - 29 May, 2007
Quote:
2.cue points to work in Absolute mode.

then it wouldn't be absolute
THC_Electra 11:06 PM - 29 May, 2007
I'd like to see the CD time code to be changed. When using scratch live cd's, the beginning position for cd is 15:39:71 remaining. It should be changed to 15:00:00 even, or any "solid" number, really.

Also, the control cd's should be expanded to 3 tracks, Track 2 can be to scroll through the library and track 3 could be to scroll through crates. I've got close to 50,000 tracks, and the first 20 seconds of track 2 just aren't enough to get through it all.

BUT! I would like to state that Scratch Live is the greatest thing to happen to DJ'ing in quite some time...possibly the best thing to happen since 1983.
marx 11:50 PM - 29 May, 2007
electra you know u can do this your self.
Nicky Blunt 8:31 AM - 30 May, 2007
Quote:
I'd like to see the CD time code to be changed. When using scratch live cd's, the beginning position for cd is 15:39:71 remaining. It should be changed to 15:00:00 even, or any "solid" number, really.

Also, the control cd's should be expanded to 3 tracks, Track 2 can be to scroll through the library and track 3 could be to scroll through crates. I've got close to 50,000 tracks, and the first 20 seconds of track 2 just aren't enough to get through it all.

BUT! I would like to state that Scratch Live is the greatest thing to happen to DJ'ing in quite some time...possibly the best thing to happen since 1983.

Dude excuse my ignorance but you have my interest picked up! I mean in 1983 i was like 7 so what happened then that you think may have been better than serato? (By the way im not being an ass im genuinely interested)
yardword 9:07 AM - 30 May, 2007
sample banks
yardword 9:08 AM - 30 May, 2007
more skin
dj disturbed 9:10 AM - 30 May, 2007
Quote:
more skin

depends on if its male or female skin :-P
Xfade 9:25 AM - 30 May, 2007
Go for female skin :P That would be nice :P
dj disturbed 9:29 AM - 30 May, 2007
yeah i agree.....
marx 5:08 PM - 30 May, 2007
nicky pm me what u want exactly. I'll do it for u.
THC_Electra 11:07 PM - 30 May, 2007
Quote:
electra you know u can do this your self.

Not sure what I can do myself...if you could let me know, that would be great! Thanks.
marx 1:46 AM - 31 May, 2007
THC_Electra

pm me specifics on how u want the timecode layed out
skinnyguy 8:34 PM - 31 May, 2007
now that vista support is here, can we get split cue for the 57? and at least a couple of new fx (bit crusher, i guess flange)?

and fx on/off via footswitch, pretty please =)
Evil_banana 8:53 AM - 1 June, 2007
Ok, just dreaming here, but... "open source access" to the DSP effects? It would be really cool if you could program your own Fx. Kinda like "this is your input-register (audio-in), this your outputregister (audio-out), these are your input-variables (knobs and buttons on the TTM57), and this is the place where you can insert your algorithm. GO!"

That would be cooooooooool... :o) *drewl*
sojourn 8:53 PM - 1 June, 2007
Quote:
Ok, just dreaming here, but... "open source access" to the DSP effects? It would be really cool if you could program your own Fx. Kinda like "this is your input-register (audio-in), this your outputregister (audio-out), these are your input-variables (knobs and buttons on the TTM57), and this is the place where you can insert your algorithm. GO!"

Dreaming and drooling, hmmm.
Possible Solution: Pillowcase sale at Target?
So, does that mean this should be in Help, or in Tips & Tricks?

Watchwww.youtube.com

Seriously, though. Good Suggestion - would be amazing in general, especially if not just limited to the 57.

+1
Bart 12:23 AM - 2 June, 2007
When playing in auto function it woud be nice that SSL cross fade between the 2 decks. Before SSL i used BPM-Studio, BPM-Studio has that feature. I used it to play backgroundmusic when the people are eating on a party

Most of the time I play wedding party's etc
skinnyguy 7:26 PM - 2 June, 2007
for background music, i don't use both decks. i just use a single deck with the auto feature on in internal mode.

but yea, having an adjustable fade between songs (with option to turn on and off) for background music would be nice. just for internal mode.
DJUltimate 7:49 PM - 2 June, 2007
Quote:
for background music, i don't use both decks. i just use a single deck with the auto feature on in internal mode.

but yea, having an adjustable fade between songs (with option to turn on and off) for background music would be nice. just for internal mode.

Yeah I'm with you guys on this
Pete Moss 11:55 PM - 2 June, 2007
Quote:

Agreed
mique 10:18 PM - 3 June, 2007
I'm totally happy with 1.7.2, only thing that I want to have in future release is to turn of tempo & beatmatch displays... I don't need em so why should I watch them...total waste of space.
And we would also benefit havin larger waveform display, wouldn't we? ;)
mexicannnnnn 12:51 AM - 4 June, 2007
Quote:
Ok I'm going to change my top 3 to:

1. More effects / features for TTM57
2. Smarter Subcrates (that link to folders and auto pick up folder changes).

I'm going to change them again to:

1. Better sounding key lock
2. More effects
3. Ability to set cues w/o SL1
Thundercat 1:18 AM - 4 June, 2007
1. Split Cue
2. Skinz
3. Sort by (aa) then (bb)
Evil_banana 2:58 PM - 4 June, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Dreaming and drooling, hmmm.
Possible Solution: Pillowcase sale at Target?
So, does that mean this should be in Help, or in Tips & Tricks?

Watchwww.youtube.com

Seriously, though. Good Suggestion - would be amazing in general, especially if not just limited to the 57.

+1

LooooooooL
*cough*
Oooh, just been able to breath again, especially after that youtube, hadn't seen that one. Hilarious!

But it would be cool to put together your own Fx-algoritms in Assembly or C and being able to use the DSP of the 57 for this. It would certainly beat having to buy a 250 dollar DSP-EVM or designing one yourself and having to figure out a control interface for it.
musiclee 7:37 PM - 4 June, 2007
you know what i wanna see in version 1.8?

how bout it's release already...
nothing more than that

anyone else?
dj disturbed 8:18 PM - 4 June, 2007
Quote:
you know what i wanna see in version 1.8?

how bout it's release already...
nothing more than that

anyone else?

well they can prolly release something and call it 1.8..... but unless they add things then why do they need to if they just released 1.7.2
cappinkirk 9:01 PM - 4 June, 2007
i want...a function that lets me use the fader and volume sliders on my ttm-57 to move the mouse arrow like a trackpad (so I never have to touch the laptop again!)

i know its crazy, so am i
musiclee 9:40 PM - 4 June, 2007
well, apparently they have some beta 1.8, as they were showing it off...demoing it..

why i need 1.8?

one word,

MIDI
J.J. 9:46 PM - 4 June, 2007
TTM57SL

Has this been done (request by nik39) for the 57SL?
Evil_banana 8:33 AM - 5 June, 2007
Nope on the 57. It's possible for windows users when NOT using SSL. On Mac even that is not possible, you'll be able to record PGM1 and Main (wth?!)

Cappinkirk: I don't think it's very realistic, but that's some creative thinking there :oD. I would like to add a second suggestion. Why not use the P1 and P2 as mouse-controller, in a kind of "etch a sketch"-way :oP (remember? www.amazon.com)
kameleon 9:03 AM - 5 June, 2007
From what I can tell, ScratchLive is single threaded, or if it is a MTA. Its working on one processor. I got 2 processors and now that quads are out I assume one day quads will be out for mobiles. Might be an idea to fully utilize all available resources (processors).
deepdjdanny 1:17 PM - 6 June, 2007
sort out the pioneer cdj1000mkiii/serato skipping problem now.
lewis 6:05 PM - 6 June, 2007
Linking crates to folders is the number one thing i wanna see
Loop 3:47 AM - 8 June, 2007
As many people have mentioned already in this topic...
I think some means to save/print/recall what you played last night/week/month would be AWESOME

one step on from this would be some sort of "suggested next track" based on the data from the saved playlists.

Also, it would be REALLY great if there was a drop down of the last 5 or tracks that have been queued up - sometimes I will choose one to see how it sounds then change my mind... and then change my mind again. would be great to just click 'Back' or 'Forward' instead of doing another search of my library.

Other than that I'm extremely happy with the way the app performs!
-DV- 6:26 AM - 8 June, 2007
The ability to set the time for the track-end warning...
WarpNote 8:01 AM - 8 June, 2007
Quote:
The ability to set the time for the track-end warning...

Agree, both on a track basis AND global basis
WarpNote 8:04 AM - 8 June, 2007
Quote:
As many people have mentioned already in this topic...
I think some means to save/print/recall what you played last night/week/month would be AWESOME

Agree, and why not keep all played tracks in the review crate even after serato is restarted, with playback date & time (clock) stamps for the tracks...
vidoona 10:31 AM - 8 June, 2007
Agreed for both.
J.J. 4:46 PM - 8 June, 2007
1. Splice www.scratchlive.net This is a must for radio DJ's who do quick mixes. On the DN-S5000, this feature was known as SPLICE.

It's where you can skip a certain portion of the track seamlessly. You can skip:
- Skip to the end of the song for quick mixes. Great for Radio DJ's.
- Skip cuss words
- Skip long ambient music with no beats in trance music
- Skip a certain verse you dislike
- Skip right into a loop.
- You wouldn't have to edit your library of songs you want to quick mix.
- For practicing, you wouldn't have to wait to the end of the song before you can mix again. <- My favorite. I love to mix non stop.

2. Crossfade option (0-10 seconds) with auto play
sweetL 4:55 PM - 9 June, 2007
full bar flagging.
full bar flagging.
full bar flagging.
full bar flagging.
full bar flagging.
full bar flagging.
full bar flagging.
dj disturbed 5:28 PM - 9 June, 2007
Quote:
full bar flagging.
full bar flagging.
full bar flagging.
full bar flagging.
full bar flagging.
full bar flagging.
full bar flagging.

why do we need something that tells us when the bar is full.... if you look up from your computer you normaly can clearly see that the bar is full ;-P
Orbi 6:59 PM - 9 June, 2007
What i realy need (and i hopoe that will be in the software soon)

More (longer) track view.
It should be perfect when we have 1/2 of screen with the running track. and the other track the other 1/2 part of the screen.
I like to see more time in big because the smaal overvieuw of the track is not easy to view.
So you better can expect the break ore other changes in the track.

1 = longer view in the bigger track run view.
2 = direct record from normal vinyl track on pc.
3 = saving mode of playlist songs each set.
dj disturbed 9:00 PM - 9 June, 2007
1> increase buffer... Make them horizontal and they are plenty big!!!
2> its already in SSL where you can record your normal Vinyl to you PC within SSL
3> yes would be nice to add
sweetL 10:23 AM - 11 June, 2007
Quote:
why do we need something that tells us when the bar is full.... if you look up from your computer you normaly can clearly see that the bar is full ;-P

dont get smart with me sonny-jim... lol
Nicky Blunt 10:27 AM - 11 June, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

dont get smart with me sonny-jim... lol

"TOLD"
Joeywonk 12:17 AM - 12 June, 2007
built in sampler.
volcanik 7:42 PM - 12 June, 2007
Quote:

You can always rip the Serato tone track as a .wav and use any sound editor to cut it down to 15:00 or whatever number you like :)
Oxid 12:25 PM - 15 June, 2007
Here's my list!
-MIDI CLOCK OR REWIRE FOR ABLETON!!!
I really need it!
vidoona 4:19 PM - 15 June, 2007
^Agreed. Adds a lot of functionality and saves me from carrying an external midi clock beat extractor....been asking for this one for a loooong time, so we'll see.
Villagreen 9:17 AM - 18 June, 2007
I would like to see the option to disable certain keys, more importantly the F keys since i have often pressed them by mistake while in relative mode and accidentally switching to absolute, therefore creating a disaster.

thanks
evvster 6:57 PM - 18 June, 2007
Quote:
I would like to see the option to disable certain keys, more importantly the F keys since i have often pressed them by mistake while in relative mode and accidentally switching to absolute, therefore creating a disaster.

YES PLEASE!
cappinkirk 6:58 PM - 18 June, 2007
i think every keycommand should have a disable option
Villagreen 7:09 PM - 18 June, 2007
Quote:
i think every keycommand should have a disable option

exactly my point
maara 9:03 PM - 18 June, 2007
1) no samples

2) no skin support

3) auto gain sync

4) crates hotkeys

5) better track progress visualisation

6) nothing that will affect stability
nik39 9:12 PM - 18 June, 2007
What is auto gain sync?
maara 9:22 PM - 18 June, 2007
Quote:
What is auto gain sync?

srry may be bad explanation.... ;)
it tought exactly the same as for example TS has - not just gain track about some amout but automaticly equal gain of a new track to the same value as currently playing track has....
nik39 9:29 PM - 18 June, 2007
I don't understand... you mean auto gain?
DJUltimate 9:55 PM - 18 June, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
What is auto gain sync?

srry may be bad explanation.... ;)
it tought exactly the same as for example TS has - not just gain track about some amout but automaticly equal gain of a new track to the same value as currently playing track has....

Reading this makes my brain hurt
digital_steve 10:47 PM - 18 June, 2007
Maybe he's talking about the traktor limiter?
remp 1:40 PM - 19 June, 2007
Getting away from the itunes integration and into something more professional / universal.

Ideally I'd like to see the app act more like a media player/ tag editor when the interface is disconnected. I'd love to be able to audition tracks from my internal soundcard from the serato interface then just drag & drop into crates, which would double as playlists in that mode. Or a better external app that integrates better.

Let's get rid of the middlemen :-)

Or - scratchlive.net

The ability of playing from Internal Mode from the internal soundcard would be great.
maara 1:42 PM - 19 June, 2007
Quote:
Maybe he's talking about the traktor limiter?

no - i am talking about automatic level of the playing track synchronization....
nik39 1:55 PM - 19 June, 2007
Quote:
no - i am talking about automatic level of the playing track synchronization....

Isn't that auto gain?
m0nster 2:01 PM - 19 June, 2007
Quote:
Getting away from the itunes integration and into something more professional / universal.

Ideally I'd like to see the app act more like a media player/ tag editor when the interface is disconnected. I'd love to be able to audition tracks from my internal soundcard from the serato interface then just drag & drop into crates, which would double as playlists in that mode. Or a better external app that integrates better.

I agree with you, the itunes integration is what i feel is makin the program weaker, then say a folder(s) sync option.

BUT, you can preview tracks using your internal soundcard, i believe it's like ctrl+r or ctrl+o, but maybe +p, just use the help and point over your tracks in the playlist.
graphick 2:22 PM - 19 June, 2007
I would like to see a vinyl noise effect like izotope vinyl does.

Thanks!
SKA 2:38 PM - 19 June, 2007
When tracks are played more than once it comes up twice in the review box but when i drag into a crate and check later there are no duplicates hence it wud be good if this was changed.
digital_steve 11:50 PM - 19 June, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Isn't that auto gain?

I would've thought so!!
digital_steve 11:54 PM - 19 June, 2007
Quote:

Or - scratchlive.net

The ability of playing from Internal Mode from the internal soundcard would be great.

I think itunes intergration is great... it means you can have your smart playlists, still burn tracks and listen to them outside of a DJ setting and dump them to your ipod.
I'd like to see the intergration of itunes step up a notch instead of SSL trying to incorporate everything into their program ... traktor tried that and failed at it, i wouldn't like to see SSL go the same way.
Thundercat 4:21 AM - 20 June, 2007
Revised top 3 for me:

1. Split Cue
2. Bulk Build Overviews without disconnecting hardware (new edit)
3. Sort by (aa) then (bb)
dj disturbed 9:17 AM - 20 June, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Or - scratchlive.net

I think itunes intergration is great... it means you can have your smart playlists, still burn tracks and listen to them outside of a DJ setting and dump them to your ipod.
I'd like to see the intergration of itunes step up a notch instead of SSL trying to incorporate everything into their program ... traktor tried that and failed at it, i wouldn't like to see SSL go the same way.

but you see there lies the issues.. alot of us have STOPPED using iTunes for stuff like this... The reason I dont like using iTunes is Its hard for me to manage my lib with it... when you have ALOT of songs (i mean like around 80,000 like i do) its takes over 2 mins for iTunes to open. I have set my mac to open mp3's with the quicktime player so that i ONLY use iTunes to rip from CD's I dont even like the way iTunes organizes my tracks on my computer anymore. I woukd realy like SSL to add the smart playlist things into SSL itsself.. along with ripping in SSL and tand alone mode where you can work with tracks "off-line" through your system sound.. thius way we DONT have any reason to use other programs to do the exact same thing
remp 3:41 PM - 20 June, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Or - scratchlive.net

but you see there lies the issues.. alot of us have STOPPED using iTunes for stuff like this... The reason I dont like using iTunes is Its hard for me to manage my lib with it... when you have ALOT of songs (i mean like around 80,000 like i do) its takes over 2 mins for iTunes to open. I have set my mac to open mp3's with the quicktime player so that i ONLY use iTunes to rip from CD's I dont even like the way iTunes organizes my tracks on my computer anymore. I woukd realy like SSL to add the smart playlist things into SSL itsself.. along with ripping in SSL and tand alone mode where you can work with tracks "off-line" through your system sound.. thius way we DONT have any reason to use other programs to do the exact same thing

It's only great if you use it, I never have.. and the PC based programs blow it out of the water. I jumped to Mac for serato, so I'm trying to get a handle on it, but it's really geared toward your average consumer, not proffessional DJ's.

I lieu of an in-program player - I've been plugging the usb in and running line one into the mixer on my computer desk to pre-view tracks and sort into crates - I think I'll end up with even "smarter" playlists ;-)
m0nster 4:49 PM - 20 June, 2007
you can use serato, and a command to play songs not thru your mixer, but thru your media player of choice on the pc using your internal soundcard.
vidoona 6:02 PM - 20 June, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Isn't that auto gain?

Yes. It's just two different ways of going about it. Serato levels all tracks the same when you build your overviews. TS just matches a newly loaded song to the one currently playing. Both are just fine, but I prefer SSL's method because it takes less real time processing power and plus TS's track gain for an entire set will be dictated by the gain of the first track you load. This is how it appeared to me when I played with it the other day.
remp 9:43 PM - 20 June, 2007
Quote:
you can use serato, and a command to play songs not thru your mixer, but thru your media player of choice on the pc using your internal soundcard.

yeah I saw that, but there's -

Quote:

The reason I dont like using iTunes is Its hard for me to manage my lib with it... when you have ALOT of songs (i mean like around 80,000 like i do) its takes over 2 mins for iTunes to open. I have set my mac to open mp3's with the quicktime player so that i ONLY use iTunes to rip from CD's I dont even like the way iTunes organizes my tracks on my computer anymore.

Plus it's nice to be able set my cue points & loops & whatever as I'm making my crates - with the box plugged in.

Thing with me is, my shit is already organized & a " mp3 for dummies" program like itunes (no offense to anyone) actually makes it harder for me to maintain my system. I would love to find a way to get it to work for me or a viable alternative - till then I'm working around it.

Only been on the mac a few days, so well see
Bronx 77 4:01 AM - 21 June, 2007
***VERY IMPORTANT***
Try adding a built-in sampler/drum machine with trigger pads in between deck #1 and deck #2. The more trigger pads you can fit in the space given, the better it is for the DJ since DJs usually have tons of drops or sound effects. The sampler would be an OPEN LINE so when you press the trigger pad, the sound effect or drop will play to the public on either decks.

Having this feature available eliminates the physical use of having an Akai MPC 2000XL or other simular devices connected to your dj system.

I think for starters, having 8 trigger pads should be enough for a DJ to add his own personal touch to his DJ set.
Giorgos 10:47 AM - 25 June, 2007
SSL generating a MIDI-clock signal from (selectable, please) the bpm of either one deck or the master. Ableton (which I run on the same system), could then be slaved to SSL's MIDI-clock.
Dj Shape 5:03 AM - 28 June, 2007
I'd like to see:
-FX
-option to remove the beatmatch/waves display
-aac files
-the price of the 57 to be lower ;-)
Nicky Blunt 9:11 AM - 28 June, 2007
Quote:
the price of the 57 to be lower ;-)

+1
Evil_banana 12:51 PM - 28 June, 2007
Come on guys, the TTM57 is about 1450 Euro, while a TTM56 + SSL1 is about 1500 Euro. You get SSL-controls, onboard FX, better recording capabilities, integrated solution with no wiring-hassle and the possibility for video-mixing EXTRA compared to the separate solution, for even less money.

I think it's a reasonable price. It's a lot of money though. but buying any other mixer from the same quality-level plus SSL1 is going to cost a lot of cash.

:o)
Nicky Blunt 1:30 PM - 28 June, 2007
this is all true but when broke thats an unachievable amount of money for me so its a long long away!

I realise its good value for money but its still damn expensive!
Stuart Ramdeen 10:09 PM - 11 July, 2007
Quote:
1. Removeable
2. Beamatching
3. Display

+1
AKIEM 4:05 PM - 1 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

thanks for the link, that will be really handy

wish they would drop this thing already
Daim 5:37 PM - 1 August, 2007
yes i‘m really looking forward to it‘s release as well..

i read it will support ableton live in/export too. pretty sweet
AKIEM 7:43 PM - 1 August, 2007
Im trying to resist bothering them about it.

I wish I had a time machine, I would just FF> to the release date.

dont they need beta testers or some thing, damn
musiclee 10:50 PM - 1 August, 2007
# 1 requets for 1.8 is:

IT'S RELEASE :-)
Nicky Blunt 9:16 AM - 2 August, 2007
artwork for loaded & Unloaded tracks in library while searching!
DJ GI-NYC 11:00 PM - 2 August, 2007
Quote:
1.i48.photobucket.com
2.i48.photobucket.com
3.i48.photobucket.com

FULL COLOR BAR FLAGGING!
PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!

This gotta be the #1 Request for real!

And oh yeah any "SSL Owner" Asking for Auto Beat Matching is a straight lame! And doesnt deserve the honor of the title "DJ" before his/her name
Res-Q 2:04 PM - 3 August, 2007
give us multitrack recording on the 57
musiclee 2:09 PM - 3 August, 2007
dj gi-nyc

you mean one color if its loaded in player A , anothr color if it's loaded in player B

and anothre color if it's not loaded, but just the track highlighted at the moment

just like TRAKTOR?
Konix 2:15 PM - 3 August, 2007
No, instead of just the little dot for color coding tracks, the entire row gets colored.
musiclee 8:40 PM - 3 August, 2007
yes, yes, yes, and make these clors customizable

great idea

any chance they will add this into 1.8?
mL 4:56 AM - 4 August, 2007
I would like the BPM to be shown with one decimal place. For example, if the BPM of a song is 129.95 then it should say 129.9 not just 129.
djdown 1:01 AM - 5 August, 2007
Quote:
1. Splice www.scratchlive.net This is a must for radio DJ's who do quick mixes. On the DN-S5000, this feature was known as SPLICE.

It's where you can skip a certain portion of the track seamlessly. You can skip:
- Skip to the end of the song for quick mixes. Great for Radio DJ's.
- Skip cuss words
- Skip long ambient music with no beats in trance music
- Skip a certain verse you dislike
- Skip right into a loop.
- You wouldn't have to edit your library of songs you want to quick mix.
- For practicing, you wouldn't have to wait to the end of the song before you can mix again. <- My favorite. I love to mix non stop.

Out of all the crap that has been suggested here...aside from an internal sampler...this has to be the single most useful suggestion made.

I'm sure those of you who have a little club experience will agree... you can't play a 5 or 6 minute song in its entirety(you can SEE the people getting bored at about 3 or 3 1/2, unless its just a hot hot track). These days, music isn't arranged like it used to be. There are a lot of really hot tracks that just arent DJ friendly. Lots of talking in the beginning or long verses by 5 or 6 MC's. Sometimes there just isn't a break or hook or something to smoothly mix out of until the end of the song... Granted, there are ways of overcoming these problems, but wouldn't a "splice" or "auto jump to cue point" feature be awfully useful?
djtoast 3:49 PM - 5 August, 2007
I do this all the time, you just need to set hot cues surely? I mean, eg, in Blue Monday after the brilliant intro nothing much happens til the vocals start at about 2:00 - so Ive got a hot cue there and jump to it from about 1:00 minute into the track. Same with Whole Lotta Love, I jump from 1:23 to 3:32 (I think) each time to miss out the wierd bit; it's just one button, so a dedicated splice tool might seem overkill to do the same thing.
djdown 8:37 PM - 6 August, 2007
I'm not talking about rock music...and sure you can set as many hot cues as you want... but I'm talking about mixing hip hop. Short mix. 1 or 2 minutes per track. Most of the time I would have to start mixing my second record EXACTLY where that hot cue would be ...because of the reasons I mentioned earlier... sure, with a little practice, I could probably loop part that I want to mix with, but that's...horrible.

Think about it like this. I start my 1st record... verse 1...chorus...but the next three verses go on forever and there isn't a clean break in the whole track until the end, and its only 2 bars before it starts fading out. This is becoming more typical with the more popular tracks.

I want to start mixing right at the start of the 2 bar out, I can't start the record, use the crossfader, and be SURE to hit the hot cue at the right time so the records are beatmatched, all at the same time.

Here is where the splice tool would come in. At the end of the 1st or second chorus/hook, it would automatically, seamlessly jump to the beginning of the 2 bar outro, remember, this is 3 or 4 minutes later in the track... and I can be sure that the splice is accurate ahead of time, and I can keep my hands on the record and crossfader.

Short mixing hip hop is fun, and it carries the energy throughout your set as long as you pick the right music. 5 or 6 minute tracks can RUIN your dance floor, no matter how hot the track is (VERY FEW EXCEPTIONS... like "Return of the Mack" by Mark Morrison, if you play hip hop...that song could be 10 minutes long and it wouldn't matter).
djdown 8:43 PM - 6 August, 2007
^^^^^ P.S. I don't have the patience to cut everything up in pro tools and make shorter tracks, this would be an "instant" solution.

If someone has a better idea, let me know.
djdown 9:02 PM - 6 August, 2007
Ok so I think I got this figured out...

I could pre-mix all my sets with pcdj reflex and its auto loop, auto beatmatching, auto gain, auto crossfade, auto effects, auto DJ, and play it through my laptop's internal soundcard, into the Aux in on my mixer. Then I can just pretend that I'm a real DJ and work for 1/4 of what real DJ's should be getting paid...

Really...I just want to make some of my tracks shorter. Think that's possible?
djdown 9:09 PM - 6 August, 2007
Oh yeah... fuck everybody who uses all that auto beat matching, auto fade, auto DJ shit. Learn the fucking art...assholes.

LONG LIVE THE TURNTABLE AND MIXER... and my two hands on them.
Stuart Ramdeen 1:34 PM - 8 August, 2007
er yes.

Moving on,

I'd like auto looping and midi support. Oh yes, and some kind of filter to make 'too-perfect' digital recordings sound more like vinyl.
ekwipt 4:33 PM - 8 August, 2007
Auto looping via the Easter egg doesn't work that well at the mo
Nicky Blunt 4:35 PM - 8 August, 2007
2 , 4 , 8 & 16 bar auto looping!
& Pictures of album artwork in the library not just for the selected track!
dj disturbed 6:01 PM - 8 August, 2007
Quote:

already there... somewhat

Quote:

-1 on that one... we dont need anything else cluttering up that area and cause slow downs in loading
Nicky Blunt 9:15 AM - 9 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

already there... somewhat

Quote:

-1 on that one... we dont need anything else cluttering up that area and cause slow downs in loading

yeah a few people have said that so maybee the best thing to do is have them as an option that you can turn on & off.
galacticbass 6:38 PM - 10 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
1.i48.photobucket.com
2.i48.photobucket.com
3.i48.photobucket.com

FULL COLOR BAR FLAGGING!
PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!

This gotta be the #1 Request for real!

And oh yeah any "SSL Owner" Asking for Auto Beat Matching is a straight lame! And doesnt deserve the honor of the title "DJ" before his/her name

Will you guys give it up. Auto beat match is not a fail safe by anymeans. (I've used tracktor) I learned to to dj without all the new technology and had to do it by ear as everyone else has.
It's not hard to get it close, (beatmatch that is) it's hard to get it dead nuts on. That's where time and talent come into play. And beat matching does not and will not ever make anyone a dj. There is alot of skill behind the art of mixing, not beatmatching. So those of you that think a sync button or beat match button is bad, are stupid. IT MEANS NOTHING.

Get over it already, noone said if they put it on there mens YOU have to use it. If that's the case, get rid of all the visual ques in Serato too. What do you think the little lines at the top of your screen are telling you? Uh, wheather your beat matched or not.
cappinkirk 6:58 PM - 10 August, 2007
Whats the benefit, saying you're badass because you can mix using only one sense (hearing)?

Do you always use as few parts of your body as possible to do your job? What is the logic to this approach?
DJ GI-NYC 7:58 PM - 10 August, 2007
Quote:
Whats the benefit, saying you're badass because you can mix using only one sense (hearing)?

Do you always use as few parts of your body as possible to do your job? What is the logic to this approach?

Nah "Cappinkirk" dont get it twisted homie. I think SSL is a great thing and my main reason for using it is being able to do all my international dates and other bookings without my ususal 8-10 crates. And all the extra perks are cool too...BUT

If i didnt have the preset cue points id go back (and still have) my white piece of tape on my records to remember my points.

And if there was no SSL id still have my viynl to fall back on.

The point is. WE as REAL DJ's cannot fall victim to new age technology ONLY!
it's VERY important to maintain the neccesary skill level that is being a DJ that uses VIYNL and uses your natural senses to train yaself like your EARS and MEMORY to BEATMATCH instead of going off of listed BPM's and using your HANDS to steer in a perfect blend or transition on beat. Just cant rely on computers and all types of digital programs and all that too help earn you the right to be a DJ or even think your one.

So yeah a DJ than can mix using just his ears is a great thing and it is logic to say that and have that benefit over any lame that cant do it without SSL or some other computer or hardware.

NOW!

Again! All i want is FULL COLOR BAR FLAGGING DAMMIT! i48.photobucket.com i48.photobucket.com i48.photobucket.com i48.photobucket.com i48.photobucket.com i48.photobucket.com i48.photobucket.com i48.photobucket.com i48.photobucket.com
nik39 8:16 PM - 10 August, 2007
Okay i48.photobucket.com now we got it.
entropy1 1:14 PM - 11 August, 2007
1. 64 bit support (i want my full 4gb of ram dam it)
2. 4 deck (2 virtual)
3. criple mode
4 just for DJ GI-NYC, different colors
galacticbass 12:38 AM - 12 August, 2007
Quote:

WTF, none of what you said made any sense. Thanks for thinking I'm a badass though! I'd like to know what other senses you use other than hearing and touch to mix. Sense of taste maybe? Do you lick your computer screen? Wait, I know, you smell the mixer to see if you got beat matched, right?
evvster 5:30 PM - 12 August, 2007
Quote:

WTF, none of what you said made any sense. Thanks for thinking I'm a badass though! I'd like to know what other senses you use other than hearing and touch to mix. Sense of taste maybe? Do you lick your computer screen? Wait, I know, you smell the mixer to see if you got beat matched, right?

I don't think he was trying to pick a fight... all he means is that if you use all of the tools available to you, it can only help... tools don't make you good.... but why would you use a screwdriver if you had a drill right next to you? but having the drill doesn't automatically make you a good builder...
Idlemind1999 8:40 PM - 14 August, 2007
Quote:
1. Support for FLAC
2. The ability to play FLAC files
3. A wider variety of Codec support, such as FLAC

Like that commercial with the duck??
Idlemind1999 8:45 PM - 14 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

I save all my playlists. Drag the review list into a new folder.

I do this too.. the problem is all the tracks that I TRY OUT show up there too...
Eloy Garcia 4:29 AM - 17 August, 2007
Hey everyone this is the DJ Eloy form the AC - DJ EXPO - 1:00PM-2:30PM - Room 304
Music Programming: Advanced Mixing Tips & Techniques

I got news about 1.8 Video. I don't know which guy from serato I was talking to but I got the in side scoop. Every one thats has a Apple MacBook you can run SSL 1.8 Video. They were using it with a Intel MacBook Core 2 Duo it was running fine. He also told me that the better your video card the more video effects you will have. 1.8 looks at your video card then gives you the video effects it can handle.
djtripp 10:00 AM - 17 August, 2007
hmmm. any word on the file types and size?
The Axledental DJ 6:13 AM - 18 August, 2007
I'd like to see native support for Denons new DN-HC4500 USB MIDI/AUDIO Interface & Controller. Just like Numarks iCDX has native support. Do I need to make a new thread for this request?
makka 11:26 AM - 18 August, 2007
Auto-Subcrates so that If I import a folder that contains many folders it keeps the file structure intact.

I have a specific way of setting up/displaying my ID3 Tags.. I have artist name, track name, duration, BPM, and comments. I use Mixmeister to generate BPM readings and Mixed in Key to provide Key readings, which are displayed in the comments section. Everytime I load tracks in I would like these columns set up in that order permenantly so that I don't have to do this myself manually!

A Serato controller, USB or similar for those of us not fortunate enough to own the TT 57 SL!
chopstick 10:17 PM - 18 August, 2007
ummm, doan know if its been suggested before, but it would be seriously wicked if there were like 4 or 8 lil buttons under each deck that you could load up a small sample into RAM for each (say a few sec max), with a lil' trim control, that you could trigger from the computer's keyboard, whose outputs mixed with that deck's output on the SL-1...maybe even the possibility to send the pads to the upcoming-in-future fx-bus? ;) .

only dreaming, but i know a lot hiphop reggae and jungle selectors who always carry the lickshot box/sampler, and who always looking for an extra input on the mixer...and switching out applications to play soundfx is no fun...

cheers!
Res-Q 4:10 AM - 19 August, 2007
Multitrack recording?
pleeeeaaase
Pete Moss 4:15 AM - 19 August, 2007
I'd be happy if a mod would just give us the basics on....

1. How should we prepare for the video plugin
2. When will we get video for the SL1
3. A simple playlist export feature
J.J. 6:13 PM - 20 August, 2007
Quote:
I'd like to see native support for Denons new DN-HC4500 USB MIDI/AUDIO Interface & Controller. Just like Numarks iCDX has native support. Do I need to make a new thread for this request?

I agree. Native support for the DN-HC4500 and DN-HS5500 like the iCDX. I don't want it to interpret the audio from a hard drive file. Near Real-Time USB communication.
FDW 9:50 PM - 20 August, 2007
1. Multitrack Recording
2. Sampler (in the TTM 57SL)
3. Better way to record real Vinyl (no -10dB AIFFs)
arexey 5:39 PM - 1 September, 2007
64-bit support
I am willing to volunteer time to build the drivers on 64-bit!!!! I got a new PC and want to use it...
tirsog75 11:40 AM - 9 September, 2007
Similar to Pete Mosses, but more elaborate
1. Remember last gigs Playlist (for songs played longer than 45secs - can be adjusted)
2. Export playlists to html
3. toilet break auto loop - just in case your in the crapper and your track ends, it samples the last 16 bars and loops it... (kind of stupid but why not?)
maydo 12:43 PM - 9 September, 2007
like the toilet option ))
Dj Rodrigo Guimarães 1:17 PM - 11 September, 2007
Turn off the waveform, the sppining wheels.......I don´t need them to play......
allenbina 3:21 PM - 11 September, 2007
that cute little dog that used to pop up in microsoft word like 10 years ago. i want him to run around on my screen, bark and pick up records.
Movendi 5:10 PM - 11 September, 2007
Another vote for row coloring and MORE predifined colours to choose from. Or the whole colour palette.

Also another idea instead of using coloured vinyls to define genre, you can use a custom jpg cover that fits over the 2 vinyl section.
djtripp 5:18 PM - 11 September, 2007
How about a big neon sign that says "i'm a laptop dj"?
koolionyc 1:20 PM - 12 September, 2007
1-Artwork / Coverflow functionality

2-Save playlist/ songs played as text functionality

3- Other than that, i have no other issues with Serato
Joeywonk 7:12 AM - 16 September, 2007
definitely a built in sampler with 8 pads or something! that would be clutch.
grrillatactics 3:05 PM - 2 October, 2007
split cue for the 57
ralph 6:54 PM - 2 October, 2007
i'd like to see it released.
djtripp 7:07 PM - 2 October, 2007
+1
dj disturbed 7:09 PM - 2 October, 2007
Quote:
i'd like to see it released.

+1
entropy1 11:40 AM - 3 October, 2007
ablity to increase waveform length for the verticle waves aswell, horizontal hurts my brain (i know you would lose library space)
Idlemind1999 2:36 PM - 5 October, 2007
The whole interface should be modular...

so you can resize the library area, resize the control surface area, the crate area all that...

And make it so we can contol-click to select more than one attribute when browsing and or more than one crate when searching.
djbob 4:20 PM - 5 October, 2007
MIDI "IN" & "OUT" and anything else required to make SSL work smooth with the new Denon HC4500 controller.
skinnyguy 8:50 PM - 5 October, 2007
Quote:
split cue for the 57

+ infinity
RussOne 7:56 AM - 6 October, 2007
An option to lock and unlock cue points and loops.
skinnyguy 7:27 PM - 6 October, 2007
Quote:
An option to lock and unlock cue points and loops.

u can already lock loops....but cue points, yea...+1 for that
The unknown just 10:55 PM - 6 October, 2007
effects
grrillatactics 2:21 PM - 7 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
split cue for the 57

+ infinity

+ another infinity.
bboysupafly 6:30 PM - 7 October, 2007
It be nice to have a wider horizontal waveform for us with widescreen laptops.
dj disturbed 7:35 PM - 7 October, 2007
Quote:
It be nice to have a wider horizontal waveform for us with widescreen laptops.

umm.. you can make it wider in horizontal mode... mine covers the full area in horizontal mode..... increase the Audio Cashe to do this
RussOne 6:48 AM - 8 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
split cue for the 57

+ infinity

+ another infinity.

That sucks! I've never realized that. The Empath has some flexible options for it's cue section.
Dj 1/2 Pint 12:20 AM - 10 October, 2007
I'd Like to see an option on the setup screen to make titles all caps like itunes has...i dont use itunes
Soulsonica™ 3:09 AM - 10 October, 2007
1) Album art next to tracks in library/folders and next to virtual decks while tracks are playing

2) MIDI control along with the introduction of true industry standard/bullet-proof RSSL controllers that perform/feel same as the Technics SL-1200MK2/3/5 workhorse.

3) Customizable GUI such as ability to turn on/off/hide/display features, inrease/decrease fonts, etc.
Giorgos 10:26 AM - 11 October, 2007
BPM MIDI clock out signal.
ekwipt 6:21 AM - 12 October, 2007
Quote:

+1
LosMintos 11:58 AM - 12 October, 2007
Support for FLAC, the ability to play FLAC and use their tags.
thebeatworx 11:08 PM - 12 October, 2007
I grew up on vinyl but when doing mobiles and travelling who wants to carry around heavy decks or even CDJs? (I'm lazy.) In addition, there are guys out there who are graying the lines between DJ's and Musicians and it'd be great if SSL supported:

1. MIDI Controllers

Tons of top quality companies are coming out with them and there is a reason...
grrillatactics 4:49 PM - 13 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

+1

+2
DJWeedmark 7:25 PM - 23 October, 2007
dual monitor support for scroll wheel, see my post in help on how to recreate this error, confirmed minor bug in Version 1.7.4
deiksac 12:46 PM - 26 October, 2007
being able to monitor rec. volume more accurately plus recording balance; mine 57 sl has some 3dB gain offset - might be needles but I find 3dB too much to be just needles
mexicannnnnn 3:51 AM - 27 October, 2007
1.8 Beta is out!!! Go get it, its great!
skinnyguy 9:56 PM - 27 October, 2007
bit crusher! w00t!

but i didn't see anything about split cue ....*sigh*

1.8.1?
RussOne 4:47 AM - 28 October, 2007
Split cue is a mixer feature. Most Rane models should have them if not all.
DJMANICO 4:46 AM - 29 October, 2007
midi clock
Dj Avgoustinos 11:17 AM - 29 October, 2007
Playing with two decks and two cd players at the same time.
Simmo 4:23 PM - 29 October, 2007
1) Windows Vista x64 ASIO driver support, so I can use it with my companies various computers

2) FLAC support as most of my collection is in that format

Cheers, Andy
Gses 5:00 PM - 29 October, 2007
I think it would be great to record the own mix directly to mp3?
Or better you can choose between aiff or mp3 format...

Peez Gses
The Axledental DJ 12:06 AM - 30 October, 2007
A close friend of mind asks:
Can the Rane MP4 be combined with the Denon DN-HC4500 to allow SSL 1.8.x internal mode to allow jog wheel scratching? At this time, I know the MP4 doesn't work with any control signal option. Its for internal mode only.
Devilboy4u247 4:33 AM - 30 October, 2007
A sampler
Tabu 1:03 PM - 30 October, 2007
Vista x64 ASIO DRIVERS!!!

autoloop bar like traktor
Nicky Blunt 1:11 PM - 30 October, 2007
a controll unit via usb so i dont have to use my keybaord for loops & stuff like cue points track change etc! would be wicked if we could just use a controller!

Specifically designed for use with serato for those of us who cannot afford a 57 yet!!!!!
kameleon 1:32 PM - 30 October, 2007
MIDI Out would be huge. I would like not only the control features of Serato to send the MIDI commands, but also be able to program MIDI out commands on a per track and position in track basis. This could be useful in lighting control scenarios as well as other effects.
DJ BIS 1:54 PM - 17 November, 2007
Quote:

THANK YOU!
DJ BIS 1:56 PM - 17 November, 2007
I would like to see color coding for loops and also I REALLY NEED to see how many loops are in my file's overview!

The overview should show them and different colors should be available just like hot cues. Showing them on the side of the virtual deck is also important just like the hot-cues... maybe stacked, side by side?

Only 5 are needed, really... That way they stack up evenly next to the CUEs.

Loops that on are should show as colored blinking loop areas on the overview!

THIS WOULD BE A LIFE SAVER!!!
skinnyguy 5:16 AM - 18 November, 2007
i like the loop idea ^
tomatoslice 8:28 AM - 19 November, 2007
1. user assignable kys
2. midi controller compatibility
3. and of course VIDEO
dj disturbed 9:07 AM - 19 November, 2007
Quote:
1. user assignable kys
3. and of course VIDEO

well we already have #2 in the 1.8 beta version.. and we will get #3 when 1.8 is final. They have not said anything about #1 though
Idlemind1999 3:20 PM - 19 November, 2007
I cant complain with things as they are... some of my main gripes were addressed in the last 2 versions...

but I would love to sync Crates with folders (Bi-Directionally)

I'm currently (kinda) doing this with smart playlists thru iTunes.
djtripp 12:09 AM - 20 November, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
1. user assignable kys
3. and of course VIDEO

1. User assignable keys +1

Only because with the TTM 57SL I only want a few more things I can place on keys where I want, I don't really want to bring a whole MIDI controller to gigs too...
eschaton 12:32 AM - 20 November, 2007
hi, enjoy for a split cue mode on ttm57 !
RussOne 9:44 AM - 22 November, 2007
Locking feature/option for hot-cues!
Nicky Blunt 9:54 AM - 22 November, 2007
Quote:
Locking feature/option for hot-cues!

yeah i want that too
Jerry Lee 9:30 AM - 23 November, 2007
Bigger Fonts!!
skinnyguy 7:43 PM - 25 November, 2007
1 - split cue for ttm57
2 - censor markers
3 - hot cue lock
skinnyguy 7:44 PM - 25 November, 2007
1 - split cue for ttm57
2 - censor markers
3 - hot cue lock

4 - splice
5 - able to see all loops available on waveform
6 - entire row colored (instead of just a dot)

in that order. please. mahalo.
Proto J 9:23 PM - 25 November, 2007
master tempo not chopping up basslines...

no half second skips here and there when using master tempo...

measure markers (either the measures marked through building overviews, or you give us the ability to at least mark spots so we know where to drop in the next tune, like cue points, but markers)
DJ BIS 1:42 AM - 26 November, 2007
For your third one, why not use cue points? That's exactly why they are there!
frankscivic 2:57 AM - 26 November, 2007
I want them to eliminate these system crashes on the load...i mean i used virtual dj with vista and ahd noooo problems....why does serato have so many bugs and stuff and it costs so much more that virtual dj
Proto J 9:15 AM - 26 November, 2007
Quote:
For your third one, why not use cue points? That's exactly why they are there!

well, i have it set to start at the first cue point (though the amount of tracks i have that have cue points for the start are very few), and others i start from the very beginning so i don't need to set a cue point, so when i wanna set cue points for later in the track so i know where to drop another track in, it starts there, which isn't what i want... so to avoid that i have to set the first one, which isn't necessary, just to set one later to mark a cue point for the next track...

i think measure markers being built in the overviews is still an excellent idea anyways, b/c when i'm freestyle mixing and i wanna hook up a dope double drop, or a long mix all the way to a breakdown, i can see the measures to make this easier... right now you can sorta guage the measures by looking at the wave, but depending on the length of the track, this can sometimes be very deceiving... if measure markers were in place, say a lil' notch or faint white line for every 16 bars, it would be much, much better...
DJ BIS 9:38 AM - 26 November, 2007
Cool I get you.

I don't know how this could be implemented without cramming the interface even more.

Generally its important to review your music well so that you know how the songs go and where you want to drop them, or how long to ride the mixes, etc.

I use that knowledge along with cue points, see here:

scratchlive.net
Arana 8:44 PM - 29 November, 2007
1. Auditioned tracks DON'T turn Green (either simple key command to reset track or user-defined time trigger)
2. Full Color Bars (with ability to color tag multiple tracks simultaneously with key command)
3. Pitch N Time quality pitch hold
Arana 8:48 PM - 29 November, 2007
1. Auditioned tracks DON'T turn Green (either simple key command to reset track or user-defined time trigger)
2. Full Color Bars (with ability to color tag multiple tracks simultaneously with key command)
4. Splice
5. Ability to select and search a SINGLE field without having to manually and individually DE-SELECT all of the viewable fields (ie., if I only want to search "genre" in a particular crate, i hit "alt - x" on "genre" and only genre is selected in the searchable fields]
eskay 12:10 PM - 30 November, 2007
- notes for cue points

- 5 hotkeys assignable to certain tracks so you can quickly jump between songs/samples

- integrated sample pad ie: select samples like loop function and store to hotkeys, available at any time

- some way of still being able to transform with the line/phono
DJ BIS 12:39 PM - 30 November, 2007
Quote:

4. Splice
5. Ability to select and search a SINGLE field without having to manually and individually DE-SELECT all of the viewable fields (ie., if I only want to search "genre" in a particular crate, i hit "alt - x" on "genre" and only genre is selected in the searchable fields]

Weeeeerd!

PS: What's splice?
dj disturbed 2:42 PM - 30 November, 2007
splice means you can seamlessly skip over parts of songs.... like you can set it up so that when you are playing a certain song it will play normaly... but then skip ahead like a min into the song.... but you never hear it b/c you already set it up like you would set up a loop.
Metamorphous 2:08 PM - 1 December, 2007
3rd Deck (even if only on one of the current virtual decks)
Previewd tracks don't turn green..
SSL linked to HD folders (can delete a track, with caution!, off the HD from SSL)
ChrisQuest 1:57 PM - 14 August, 2012
To change folder color. :)