DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Tips For upcoming first gig ?

Will08272 4:27 AM - 10 May, 2010
It happened sooner then i thought but i might have my first gig this friday, don't know exactly if it will happen, or how long ill spinning for, but i think it will be a fill in spot for maybe an hour or 2. Im kinda nervous because my mixing isn't exactly where i want it to be but it's good enough for the genres im going to be playing. Im making playlist of songs and going through my library and setting up cues. You guys have any pre gig tips. Thanks serato fam.
DJS/R 4:56 AM - 10 May, 2010
good luck, but I would highly recommend that you wait until you think your mixing is where you want it to be. I have seen guys get fill in spots at places and didn't do up to standard, and have permanently been kind of "blacklisted" with that promoter or bar manager, even though now they may be good enough to be at that venue again. Not at all saying this is you, but this is your time to shine.

With that said,
as your first gig, plan some stuff out, not your entire playlist, but just certain 2,3, or 4 song transitions you want to hit over the course of your night, and Practice them. I would definitely know, how long your playing for, what genre, and what time of the night you are playing from (affects the style).
DJS/R 4:57 AM - 10 May, 2010
Oh and relax, a drink or two before you start a nervous gig is usually not a bad idea.
dj_soo 5:59 AM - 10 May, 2010
during my first gig, i was so nervous, my hands were literally shaking when DJing even though i was opening the spot up and was essentially DJing to the bartender, promoter, and door girl.

as mentioned, relax and take it easy. Don't try to do too much behind the decks at first. You'll find that playing in a bar environment is very different from playing at home and it'll take a bit to get used to playing on a big system, Things just sound different with the big speakers and the ambient noise.

I would suggest staying conservative with your mixes till you get a feel for the experience and don't try being too technical.
djpuma_gemini 6:13 AM - 10 May, 2010
2 shots of patron and get ready for train wrecks.
Shaky hands will def be in effect.

Good luck
djbanno 7:56 AM - 10 May, 2010
Keep your head up and your eyes on what the dancefloor is doing.
Most of all HAVE FUN!
Good luck.
Will08272 11:12 AM - 10 May, 2010
Thanks guys, im kinda lucky that the promotor is my cousin and his friends and i know them all, and ive been going to the club with him just about every friday for about a year and couple months, so i always paid attention to the djs there and what worked with the crowd and what didn't work. So i got a couple of advantages i think, but i still want to make sure i do atleast someone of a good job, and thanks again for the advice.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:07 PM - 10 May, 2010
Quote:
2 shots of patron and get ready for train wrecks.
Good luck

im thinking about making that into a flyer headline for my nights!!
latindj 4:17 PM - 10 May, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
2 patrons and get ready for train wrecks.
Good luck

im thinking about making that into a flyer headline for my nights!!

fixed.
DJS/R 4:37 PM - 10 May, 2010
^hahahaha