DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Oh, GOD, I have to do a "Current" HipHop and R&B Party in two weeks...

DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:09 AM - 2 May, 2010
And have been listening to the radio....

And it's straight GAWBAGE....

Arrrrgggghhh!!!!
O.B.1 12:12 AM - 2 May, 2010
Now you know why some of us on here are so bitter...
sixxx 12:15 AM - 2 May, 2010
No more Good Times!

We told ya. lol

PS. There's a lot of useable stuff. Notice I didn't say great stuff. Remixes can be your friend. (No mash up)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:28 AM - 2 May, 2010
Quote:
Now you know why some of us on here are so bitter...

Man, I know, and I always get this feeling when I have to do one fo these joints...

Just the fact that I have to FORCE myself to ride to work listening to the radio vs. a CD, is murder...

OMG @ Beema Benzi Bently, and My Chick Bad....(Luda is still nice, but I'M SAYIN...!!!).
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:31 AM - 2 May, 2010
Quote:
No more Good Times!

We told ya. lol

PS. There's a lot of useable stuff. Notice I didn't say great stuff. Remixes can be your friend. (No mash up)

You know, I never really knew that they actually had remix services that "Extended" the intro's of songs, like on a regular basis...WTF?

I mean, my boy used to tell me about them, but he turned into a CD Jock, so I wasn't really paying attention....until I needed 1 song, and he let me borrow a "Remix" CD, and it had stronger drums and extended intro's for standard "Classics', like Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now, Take Me Home (Cher), and various other tunes that should never have been touched...

This is terrible.
DJ Eighty 8 1:01 AM - 2 May, 2010
Current Hip-Hop?.....good luck with that shit.
sixxx 1:44 AM - 2 May, 2010
It is indeed terrible.
sixxx 1:45 AM - 2 May, 2010
Time to re-evaluate some of those posts you've made....

Now you know what a lot of cats outside the bedroom go through.... lol
DJ Bushido 2:08 AM - 2 May, 2010
DJ Johnny

Here: Current Hip Hop and R&B
www.hotnewhiphop.com
use this site and just read. Other then that, you will be fine.
I play Hip Hop and R&B every Friday, and Saturday. Keep it real and Keep it Hott
dj_craigmac 10:02 AM - 2 May, 2010
HaHA.welcome to the sacrifice all of us dj's make. Playin hot garbage for the people that hire us to do so vs what we think is quality music
Mike_P 11:48 AM - 2 May, 2010
to call it garbage is an understatement. welcome to my weekly nightmare.
valdini 1:59 PM - 2 May, 2010
Sounds like my idea of hell... just turn the gig down!

I had to turn down one of the best profile gigs ever (Amber Lounge VIP Event @ Abu Dhabi Grand Prix), as the brief I was given after they'd met me and heard what I play was:

Commercial Top40 / R&B / Rock Anthems (for the drivers - they like a lot of this) and requests from the floor :(

It is so far from what I play I know that I'd have lost the will too live after 15 minutes (let alone 4 hours) so had to turn the gig down and suggest someone else for it.

You either DJ for the love & additional benefits (no homo!) or as a job... if its your job then sadly you have to suck it up or get out of there!

Big respect to the guys that can suck it up and still rock a party tho!

K
Dj No Name 2:58 PM - 2 May, 2010
I spin for the love of the music and don't dj as a job therefore i would have to refuse this gig

I only take gigs where i will be spin what i like
Banana_Peter 3:06 PM - 2 May, 2010
Ain't nothing wrong with Flexin' with Party Boyz
DJDDT 3:31 PM - 2 May, 2010
...well I'm a Hip-Hop/R&B DJ. Turn all those gigs you hate over to me. Thanks.
Mike_P 3:55 PM - 2 May, 2010
Quote:

the problem is that most of the hip hop dj's here don't consider what johnny is talking about as hip hop. i DO do this as a job and therefore have to play what pay's the bills. my first and true love is and always will be hip hop. one thing that kinda jarred me a while back was when a friend of mine was goin on and on about a "hot new track" by some hip pop artist (can't remember who or song) and i told him, "man i can't stand that shit!" to which he replied, "really?! you play like you love it." i guess what i'm tryin to say is a good working dj has to be versatile and play with passion even if you're not passionate about WHAT you are playin.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:24 PM - 2 May, 2010
Quote:
Time to re-evaluate some of those posts you've made....

Now you know what a lot of cats outside the bedroom go through.... lol

****sigh****
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:29 PM - 2 May, 2010
Quote:
DJ Johnny

Here: Current Hip Hop and R&B
www.hotnewhiphop.com
use this site and just read. Other then that, you will be fine.
I play Hip Hop and R&B every Friday, and Saturday. Keep it real and Keep it Hott

Thank man, but what I usually do is just go to Hot97 and Power 105.com look up the top 5 tracks on each station, download those...

Put them in order of "Hypeness" according to what I think will constantly build the crowd up, and drop it.

Works every time. EVERYTIME.

I'm just glad I do these parties far and few between.

The crazy thing is that they ONLY care about what's hot, and a few CORE Party "Staple" bangers....

So a cut that came out a MONTH ago that was HOT, but is no longer hot, won't even be missed....

Remember the days when you HAD to buy the entire Tribe, LL, or KANE Album because you KNEW the majority of the joints would be needed?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:31 PM - 2 May, 2010
Quote:
HaHA.welcome to the sacrifice all of us dj's make. Playin hot garbage for the people that hire us to do so vs what we think is quality music

It's like a charade....but I feel for us DJ's who KNOW what "Real" hiphop is or SHOULD sound like, that NEED to play "Today's Hiphop" to cut a check and stay relevant.

For the other DJ's who didn't grow up in that genre, or just don't have an understanding of 'REAL HipHop, I can't hate on them....

They don't know any better...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:32 PM - 2 May, 2010
Quote:
to call it garbage is an understatement. welcome to my weekly nightmare.

LOL! Like that movie GROUNDHOG DAY, where dude keeps waking up to the same DAY all over again!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:33 PM - 2 May, 2010
Quote:

It's not so bad since these "TYPES" of gigs come once in a while, and that's enough to bring me back to being current with "Today's HipHop", I just grin and bear it.

Plus the money is OBSCENE....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:35 PM - 2 May, 2010
Quote:
i guess what i'm tryin to say is a good working dj has to be versatile and play with passion even if you're not passionate about WHAT you are playin.

U Already Know!
DJ Skitz (USA) 5:15 PM - 2 May, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

the problem is that most of the hip hop dj's here don't consider what johnny is talking about as hip hop. i DO do this as a job and therefore have to play what pay's the bills. my first and true love is and always will be hip hop. one thing that kinda jarred me a while back was when a friend of mine was goin on and on about a "hot new track" by some hip pop artist (can't remember who or song) and i told him, "man i can't stand that shit!" to which he replied, "really?! you play like you love it." i guess what i'm tryin to say is a good working dj has to be versatile and play with passion even if you're not passionate about WHAT you are playin.

Agreed, 100%
Kool DJ Sheak One 5:38 PM - 2 May, 2010
I did a top 40 private party in Beverly Hills last night.
Not one request the entire evening, should tell you I did my job.
Nothing but compliments and amazed party goers that I actually blended songs and did live remixes.
And you know the kid snuck in some hot new dope shit to educate the sheep on what good music sounds like.
Versatility is a trait most djs do not possess.
Execution is key my fine, feathered friends.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:44 PM - 2 May, 2010
Quote:

No WONDER you weren't on Stickam last night...

LOL @ you playing TOP 40!

I had a "WABC-AM Radio Moment" two weeks ago, and pulled out Pat Benetar, Elton John, The Doobie Brothers, Def Leppard, Toto, and Steve Miller and the Silver Bullet Band...

Felt good too...
DJ Bushido 5:50 PM - 2 May, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

I had a "WABC-AM Radio Moment" two weeks ago, and pulled out Pat Benetar, Elton John, The Doobie Brothers, Def Leppard, Toto, and Steve Miller and the Silver Bullet Band...

Felt good too...

( 0 o 0)
Kool DJ Sheak One 5:54 PM - 2 May, 2010
Yeah, had to keep it "unreal".
What I am saying is that you need to build trust with your crowd.
Assure them that you know what you are doing and you are in control.
If a dj shows signs of not knowing what he is doing, he will be inundated with people trying to control the party with their requests.
Hit em with the confidence that you are gonna show them whats up with the current shit.
Play that Drake no one has ever heard before (yeah right)
Or do a remix with shit they know under a hot beat that you know.
Don't let them see you sweat, or it's all over.
Tabernacle!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:04 PM - 2 May, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Felt good too...

( 0 o 0)

Didn't know I had it in me...huh?
Maskrider 6:17 PM - 2 May, 2010
For Djs that are working and have a stubborn crowd......Hot Garbage is a must......lol
DJ Ritmo 6:33 PM - 2 May, 2010
why the fuk do people request the bangers at fuking 930. It is beyond me and Ima about to start slapping customers...lol. No seriously I just love touching my vinyl so i can play whatever and have a ball
Dj Mike P. 8:15 PM - 2 May, 2010
I feel you but its not all total garbage, theres stuff like Ryan Leslie, Mary J. Blige, Robin Thicke, plus you can always sprinkle some old joints in there.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:45 PM - 2 May, 2010
Quote:
I feel you but its not all total garbage, theres stuff like Ryan Leslie, Mary J. Blige, Robin Thicke, plus you can always sprinkle some old joints in there.

Mary J. Blige is GAWBAGE.

I keep preaching this same thing...

There is this program called "Sunday Best" that airs on BET. ***gasp***

It's like a Gospel American Idol...

And MOST of the Amateurs sound WAYYYY better than Mary, and Beyonce' ANY day of the week...

Peep the vid....-->>>Watchwww.youtube.com

Don't get it twisted, SOME of them don't belong in the vid, but you get my drift.

The only chick out there, who has a real voice today is Jennifer Hudson.
DJ TOGTFO 12:32 AM - 3 May, 2010
quit bitchin old man. I could be fun
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:37 AM - 3 May, 2010
Quote:

Oh, it's always FUN makin' grown azz people "Get Low", and can't get up!
dirtyonekanobi 12:49 AM - 3 May, 2010
I'm a hip hop HEAD, truly. I went to middle & high school during the "Golden Era" so I was fortunate to see GOOD hip hop getting its shine on radio, videos & at parties. Even though a lot of the stuff we play @ peak hour now isn't even on the same planet as that music, it's still some salvageable tunes. Drop Jeezy "Lose my Mind" @ 12:45... regardless of how you feel about the song, you'll see its effectiveness. Make any sense? I don't necessarily like the verses on "Beamer Benz Bentley" as a listener, but as a DJ, I can't deny that the beat is dope, and people go nuts for it and sing every word.

But then again, I gig only 2-3 times a month - my opinion would probably be "I wanna blow my brains out having to play the same songs every night" If I was doing a couple weekly residencies.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:05 AM - 3 May, 2010
Quote:

But then again, I gig only 2-3 times a month - my opinion would probably be "I wanna blow my brains out having to play the same songs every night" If I was doing a couple weekly residencies.

LOL! I would seriously get an underling to run that stuff if it became a weekly thing....

Remember when we used to have DJ's in the crew who specialized in spinning a particular genre, ike Reggae, House, and/or Hiphop?

Today, you have to do it all, and be versatile BEYOND that...

"Lose my mind"...huh?

Goes to check Hot97 playlist..
ZESH! 1:36 AM - 3 May, 2010
JohnnyM, I think If you're great at droppin the old school, you'll do just fine playing the new crap. (SO much EASIER to mix)

I say mix it up. Old with the new. ALWAYS works

Believe it or not, as much as you might dislike the garbage out there, receiving a great reaction from the crowd always makes up for it.
dJ bMaN 1:38 AM - 3 May, 2010
It's just a circle of life. Some born in the doo wop era couldn't stand disco. Some disco ppl couldnt stand hip hop of the 80's Some hip hop ppl of the 80's couldnt stand new-jack and now I can't stand half of the stuff that is out now but I learned something. As a dj, in order to remain relevant in this industry, you have to keep up with the times (technology, music etc.). Do I like playing current hip hop (hop hip if you ask me), no I don't but I have a love for deejaying. I'm pretty sure this generation who likes rappers like Waka Flocka or Gucci Mane won't stand whatever comes next within the next 10 years. I'm just afraid to see what its going to sound like 10-15 years from now.
dJ bMaN 1:40 AM - 3 May, 2010
Quote:
why the fuk do people request the bangers at fuking 930. It is beyond me and Ima about to start slapping customers...lol. No seriously I just love touching my vinyl so i can play whatever and have a ball

Blame the radio statons for brainwashing folks. "Call in now and request your favorite song." Youtube doesn't make it any better.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:45 AM - 3 May, 2010
Quote:

Believe it or not, as much as you might dislike the garbage out there, receiving a great reaction from the crowd always makes up for it.

LOL, actually I'm moreso in DISBELIEF at what makes the crowd go crazy these days...

In the end, they're happy, I'm getting a check, and we'll do it again in a month or so.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:46 AM - 3 May, 2010
Quote:
I'm just afraid to see what its going to sound like 10-15 years from now.

That is actually scary.
Dj Ace 1:49 AM - 3 May, 2010
Quote:
JohnnyM, I think If you're great at droppin the old school, you'll do just fine playing the new crap. (SO much EASIER to mix)

I say mix it up. Old with the new. ALWAYS works

+1
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:51 AM - 3 May, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Blame the radio statons for brainwashing folks. "Call in now and request your favorite song." Youtube doesn't make it any better.

Also blame it on technology.

People have the means to have WHATEVER SONG THEY HAVE EVER WANTED, and walk around listening to it on a device that is 1 inch big.

In the past, you had records, that you could only listen to at home.

Then came the Walkman, made it more portable for people.

The CD Walkman, again portability and now CD quality.

Enter the era of the mp3 player....and you don't even need a dedicated device anymore...

Watches, phones, and just about anything portable has the ability to play an mp3.

The idea gets translated into looking at the DJ with the laptop "that has every song in existence", as the person to go to when you go to a party, so you can satisfy that "need" that you are so accustomed.
dJ bMaN 2:02 AM - 3 May, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Also blame it on technology.

People have the means to have WHATEVER SONG THEY HAVE EVER WANTED, and walk around listening to it on a device that is 1 inch big.

In the past, you had records, that you could only listen to at home.

Then came the Walkman, made it more portable for people.

The CD Walkman, again portability and now CD quality.

Enter the era of the mp3 player....and you don't even need a dedicated device anymore...

Watches, phones, and just about anything portable has the ability to play an mp3.

The idea gets translated into looking at the DJ with the laptop "that has every song in existence", as the person to go to when you go to a party, so you can satisfy that "need" that you are so accustomed.

True.
sixxx 3:11 AM - 3 May, 2010
Quote:

No need to misquote.

I think someone is asking you out Johnny.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:10 PM - 3 May, 2010
Quote:
It's just a circle of life. Some born in the doo wop era couldn't stand disco. Some disco ppl couldnt stand hip hop of the 80's Some hip hop ppl of the 80's couldnt stand new-jack and now I can't stand half of the stuff that is out now but I learned something. As a dj, in order to remain relevant in this industry, you have to keep up with the times (technology, music etc.). Do I like playing current hip hop (hop hip if you ask me), no I don't but I have a love for deejaying. I'm pretty sure this generation who likes rappers like Waka Flocka or Gucci Mane won't stand whatever comes next within the next 10 years. I'm just afraid to see what its going to sound like 10-15 years from now.

+100
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:11 PM - 3 May, 2010
johnny make sure you call ahead and make sure the booth has enough room for your tables AND your walker, also make sure you have them put a security guard to help you up and down any steps cause alot of clubs arent easily accessable to the handicapped and the elderly
DJ TOGTFO 5:36 PM - 3 May, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

No need to misquote.

I think TOGTFO is the father of my child.
dirtyonekanobi 6:41 PM - 3 May, 2010
Quote:
I'm pretty sure this generation who likes rappers like Waka Flocka or Gucci Mane won't stand whatever comes next within the next 10 years. I'm just afraid to see what its going to sound like 10-15 years from now.

WORD!!! When I was graduating Cash Money was just coming into popularity - I liked it, honestly. But I knew what it was. It wasn't Wu, Nas, Pac, Big, Outkast, or any of the other music that had shaped my ears as a hip-hop listener. It was fun, and they didn't really take themselves to seriously. They would even say "we're not rappers, we're game spitters" "we're just exposing the world to the Magnoia."

I think the thing that bugs me out now, is that ppl now think this snappy, jerky, small jeans, hippy music is dope! I am VERY afraid to see what comes next.
Djaward 6:56 PM - 3 May, 2010
The roger Rabbit, running man, tootsie roll and soul train line >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Jerking, the dougie and any stupid ass dance rappers are doing nowadays
These dances is the main reason I hate current hip hop.
skinnyguy 7:02 PM - 3 May, 2010
don't forget to bring some lady gaga =P
sixxx 7:09 PM - 3 May, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No need to misquote.

I think TOGTFO is the father of my child.

My wife isn't lesbian and two pussies can't make a baby.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:15 PM - 3 May, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
I'm pretty sure this generation who likes rappers like Waka Flocka or Gucci Mane won't stand whatever comes next within the next 10 years. I'm just afraid to see what its going to sound like 10-15 years from now.

WORD!!! When I was graduating Cash Money was just coming into popularity - I liked it, honestly. But I knew what it was. It wasn't Wu, Nas, Pac, Big, Outkast, or any of the other music that had shaped my ears as a hip-hop listener. It was fun, and they didn't really take themselves to seriously. They would even say "we're not rappers, we're game spitters" "we're just exposing the world to the Magnoia."

I think the thing that bugs me out now, is that ppl now think this snappy, jerky, small jeans, hippy music is dope! I am VERY afraid to see what comes next.

Alot of hiphop heads get it confused though i think, its all subjective, i know im not in the minority that if im in the club just goofin off having a good time i really dont care about how dope of a lyricist the song has or its deepness or lyrical content ect ect, sometimes a dope beat or a fun hook is all im really lookin for. Theres a time and place as well as a market for everything. Most of these "hot garbage" rappers really arent trying to go down as the modern day biggy smallz or to be the greatest, their just makin music the general publics demandin and cashin a check. I personally like most of the hot garbage thats out, not cause its great music, its just that i can take it for what it is. Im not expecting more or trying to make more out of it than it is.
DJ Alkemy 9:01 PM - 3 May, 2010
It should be renamed "I have to do a "Current TOP 40 Hip-Hop and RnB party in two weeks" and then your next message of

And have been listening to the radio....

And it's straight GAWBAGE....

Arrrrgggghhh!!!!

would ring true.

I have recently bought a hell of a lot of good Hip-Hop LP's...Im happy enough about the standard of Hip-Hop coming out this past few months, you just wont find it in the charts or being played on Hot 97.
dirtyonekanobi 9:49 PM - 3 May, 2010
I like what bezzle said above - take it for what it is...

That said I'm booked for 6 high-school grad parties in the next 3 months, so I'll be putting on my Top40 bieber, gaga, ke$ha, jerkin hat too... I was smart enough to book a couple 10yr reunions this summer to give me an opportunity to dig into some 90s music! WIN!
Dj K.Smith 12:41 AM - 4 May, 2010
Do ya thang JM... Errrrr-ruuuuuuhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:10 PM - 4 May, 2010
LOL! You guys take the sting out of this...

Yeah, it's getting better (me listening to the radio everyday), and I know I will need to eclipse the whole thing with the weekend Mr. Cee Countdown, and various other countdowns to make sure I don't miss anything.

This is like reverse Detox...

I've basically given up on "New HipHop" being "Good", but that might be changing (per DJ Alkemy's post), so maybe I will check some of that stuff out too...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:10 PM - 4 May, 2010
Quote:
Do ya thang JM... Errrrr-ruuuuuuhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Whaddup! Mr. Smizz!
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:13 PM - 4 May, 2010
Quote:

I've basically given up on "New HipHop" being "Good", but that might be changing (per DJ Alkemy's post), so maybe I will check some of that stuff out too...

nah its not changing theres always gonna be good hiphop out there thats never changed what changed is public perception about what they want to hear. There may be TONS of great real hiphop albums comming out but those arent the tracks blazing on the radio and they arent thye tracks your general club goin non hiphop purist are gonna want to hear when you play out
sixxx 4:21 PM - 4 May, 2010
Quote:
Yeah, it's getting better (me listening to the radio everyday)

It's happening already. Radio is changing you.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:57 PM - 4 May, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, it's getting better (me listening to the radio everyday)

It's happening already. Radio is changing you.

Not really, I'm just becoming more tolerant.
sixxx 4:59 PM - 4 May, 2010
Before you know it, you're going to be rapping wack lyrics and humming lame ass songs.... lol
sixxx 4:59 PM - 4 May, 2010
Remember the radio game: repetition.
agentorange 5:32 PM - 4 May, 2010
yo oldtime JOHNNY, ive been having this issue for a while, but i think i broke through it. you can actually get a lot of nice sets with current ish, esp. in NYC.

on that 82-88bpm ish:
im diggin that tpain -all i do is win.
that candy paint track
my chick bad
red cafe
fab - body ya
jay - u dont know
ross - i been rockin his steelo

95+
snoop - gangsta luv
nicki minaj
that hold yuh joint

i've been linking them up pretty nice as of late at my weekly club. sh*t gets poppin up in there.

trust me man, i was a little iffy too, but some of those joints go hard. i actually like rockin those sets. if u hit em right, crowd goes nuts.
agentorange 5:35 PM - 4 May, 2010
just dL al the new radio ish, and rock sets at home. get the gears spinning before u go live.

i be sh*ttin on all hot97 djs in the club kid.
DJ Alkemy 5:49 PM - 4 May, 2010
Quote:
on that 82-88bpm ish:
that candy paint track
my chick bad
red cafe
fab - body ya
jay - u dont know

95+
snoop - gangsta luv
nicki minaj
that hold yuh joint

I have this recurring nightmare where I am being tortured on a dentists chair...having my teeth pulled out one by one....that is the soundtrack playing in the background :-(
dirtyonekanobi 5:57 PM - 4 May, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
on that 82-88bpm ish:
that candy paint track
my chick bad
red cafe
fab - body ya
jay - u dont know

95+
snoop - gangsta luv
nicki minaj
that hold yuh joint

I have this recurring nightmare where I am being tortured on a dentists chair...having my teeth pulled out one by one....that is the soundtrack playing in the background :-(

Now working on my Hot New Mixtape - Root Canal Muzik!!!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:08 PM - 4 May, 2010
Quote:
yo oldtime JOHNNY, ive been having this issue for a while, but i think i broke through it. you can actually get a lot of nice sets with current ish, esp. in NYC.

on that 82-88bpm ish:
that candy paint track
my chick bad
red cafe
fab - body ya
jay - u dont know

95+
snoop - gangsta luv
nicki minaj
that hold yuh joint

i've been linking them up pretty nice as of late at my weekly club. sh*t gets poppin up in there.

trust me man, i was a little iffy too, but some of those joints go hard. i actually like rockin those sets. if u hit em right, crowd goes nuts.

LOL! You are that DUDE!

I was just peepin' the fab joint just now in the car....

Also, Luda is sick...

These two cats are WAYYYYY underated (even though they keep puttin' out BS), but what helps me through the process is dudes like this that I KNOW can spit, are still doin' it....but moreso to stay relevant....and cut a check...

as are we....

But good lookin' on the list mayne.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:10 PM - 4 May, 2010
Quote:
just dL al the new radio ish, and rock sets at home. get the gears spinning before u go live.

i be sh*ttin on all hot97 djs in the club kid.

Yeah, I'll probably do a test run before the jawn...

But what I usually do, is create the playlist on my Blackberry, (as I hear the songs on the radio), and them put them in the order of how I want them to be played in the club...

So, even if I'm NOT feelin' it at the beginning of the night, I've already got my "Playlist" to stick to, and that always works, because I'm in a better state of mind when I create it.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:10 PM - 4 May, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
on that 82-88bpm ish:
that candy paint track
my chick bad
red cafe
fab - body ya
jay - u dont know

95+
snoop - gangsta luv
nicki minaj
that hold yuh joint

LMAO!
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:52 PM - 4 May, 2010
mabye you should pass the gig to someone who enjoys the music....just sayin
CMOS 7:14 PM - 4 May, 2010
Theres some new shit thats dope.

Joel Ortiz - Call Me
Watchwww.youtube.com

Cypress Hill ft Pitbull & Marc Anthony - Armada Latina
Watchwww.youtube.com

U gotta hit em with

Beamer benz or Bentley:
Watchwww.youtube.com

Then get ghetto:
Watchwww.youtube.com

Then take it NY:
Watchwww.youtube.com

B.o.b. ft Eminem is DOPE:
Watchwww.youtube.com

TI with BEP - Down like That
Watchwww.youtube.com

B.o.b. ft TI - Not Lost
Watchwww.youtube.com

Lupe Fiasco ft Alicia Keys - Love Letter to the Beat
www.directlyrics.com

Forget hot97, hit the blogs yo.
the_black_one 7:35 PM - 4 May, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

No need to misquote.

I think someone is asking you out Johnny.

(MAS PUTO)
DJ Alkemy 7:49 PM - 4 May, 2010
agentorange 8:18 PM - 4 May, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
on that 82-88bpm ish:
that candy paint track
my chick bad
red cafe
fab - body ya
jay - u dont know

95+
snoop - gangsta luv
nicki minaj
that hold yuh joint

LOL! i know i know. you don't have to tell me. but the kids love it. and its actually starting to grow on me. i kinda like rockin thru that set like around 130-2am and then 2am on its open game, all night. no more requests, just straight party rockin; old, new, hiphop, dancehall, classic house, dirty south. get the crowd open and u can rock the derrty derrrty.

and yeah, u should def do a test run a couple of times. the current stuff should be dropped heavy and fast. verse chorus, new track, verse chorus, new track. just keep on hittin em quick. u dont wanna lose the crowd cause u dont know what to knock next.

hahaha why do i feel like a noob.

do ur thing man. act like u playin sugar hill gang 8th wonder for the first time again! u know they wanna hear it!!! (u bill cosby sweater wearin' muhhfukkkka)
agentorange 8:25 PM - 4 May, 2010

yo man, not for nothing, no offense, these joints will get a bottle thrown at u in a lounge/club in manhattan. lol!!! ur client base will have zero chicks and all dudes with dirty clothes on, smoking ganga, wearing bookbags with some crusty socks on. hahahah no offense, i like the music, but it won't rock in money makin' manhattan. thats like a basement party with all your boys from high school with a half oz. of triz, where anybody can get up on the tables.

lol. im such a noob
DJ Alkemy 8:35 PM - 4 May, 2010
Quote:

yo man, not for nothing, no offense, these joints will get a bottle thrown at u in a lounge/club in manhattan. lol!!! ur client base will have zero chicks and all dudes with dirty clothes on, smoking ganga, wearing bookbags with some crusty socks on. hahahah no offense, i like the music, but it won't rock in money makin' manhattan. thats like a basement party with all your boys from high school with a half oz. of triz, where anybody can get up on the tables.

lol. im such a noob

Really?..that is kind of the lighter side of Hip-Hop I play too lol. Manhattan would eat away at my soul very quickly. I played this music this bank holiday weekend and everyone had a blast. Girls, guys, young, old. I guess we just have more taste in our little country of Wales heh heh
agentorange 8:38 PM - 4 May, 2010
hahahah thats why ur playing music we created! lol
DJ Alkemy 8:39 PM - 4 May, 2010
Quote:
hahahah thats why ur playing music we created! lol

hahaha...touche!.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:04 PM - 4 May, 2010
Quote:
Theres some new shit thats dope.

Joel Ortiz - Call Me
Watchwww.youtube.com Watchwww.youtube.com

Cypress Hill ft Pitbull & Marc Anthony - Armada Latina

U gotta hit em with

Beamer benz or Bentley:

Then get ghetto:

Then take it NY:

B.o.b. ft Eminem is DOPE:

TI with BEP - Down like That

B.o.b. ft TI - Not Lost

Lupe Fiasco ft Alicia Keys - Love Letter to the Beat
www.directlyrics.com

Forget hot97, hit the blogs yo.

Good Lookin' CMOS.

The reason why I do HOT97, is because that's what they set the standard by.

Blogs are for REAL HipHop heads, or cats that need to BREAK new stuff.

The crowd that I'm DJ'ing for are typical video watchin, Hot97 listenin, goin' to The Shadow on the weekend types...

If it AIN'T on the radio, it's whack to them.
dj_craigmac 10:50 PM - 4 May, 2010
The crowd that I'm DJ'ing for are typical video watchin, Hot97 listenin, goin' to The Shadow on the weekend,fried chicken and biscuit eatin, goldtooth gold chain wearin, 360 degree basketball dunkin, spear chuckin types...

Sorry Johnny but your post reminded me of that scene from spike lee's do the right thing. LOL
Dj K.Smith 11:23 PM - 4 May, 2010
Quote:
Joel Ortiz - Call Me

Definitely a banger...
Mike_P 11:29 PM - 4 May, 2010
i think alkemy is my twin! haha! tons of dope new shit comin out but that isn't what this thread is about. it's about the commercial new shit that's playin on the radio. although they are few and far between there is some commercial shit that i dig. snoop with that i wanna rock joint and these cats...
Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Alkemy 11:49 PM - 4 May, 2010
Yeah that Snoop track is OK but Mike, If we are twins I am publicly dissowning you for one reason only lol.......

Sorry, but I hate that track with a passion.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:53 PM - 4 May, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Joel Ortiz - Call Me

Definitely a banger...

I was peepin' that....
Mike_P 4:14 AM - 5 May, 2010
Quote:
Yeah that Snoop track is OK but Mike, If we are twins I am publicly dissowning you for one reason only lol.......

Sorry, but I hate that track with a passion.

haha no worries! i actually hate the mgmt song that they sampled but i do like the production on this track.
Chrisjin 6:20 AM - 5 May, 2010
i been playing that armada latina for a minute, shit is coo

i been feeling this song for awhile and been working on the floor
Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Triple Stix 6:06 PM - 5 May, 2010
Quote:

haha, next too someone asking me if i can "play (insert aweful song) NEXT", the 9:30 request for the most current panty dropper, is my #1 complaint
dirtyonekanobi 7:02 PM - 5 May, 2010
Big Boi - Shutterbug worked @ my last gig a couple weeks ago pretty nicely... and its good music! Should be getting some radio play so ppl may be familiar with it.
xplycyt 3:51 AM - 6 May, 2010

i like your style
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:08 PM - 6 May, 2010
Alright Johnny, some advice from another "Ol Dude".

I was in your same situation many, many, many years ago. I was/am a Househead but there is no money in House. I could make more money on the regular spinning Rap and R&B and use that money to support my House habit.

Back when I had the above epiphany - Cash Money Records and Master P ruled and Lil' Wayne was just a "shadow" in a group called the Hot Boyz. There was more HOT STEAMING NO TALENT GARBAGE back then than there is now.

You have it easy Johnny, you have Serato and all this shit is digital now, You could sheep out and play heater after heater - 2 verse and out - with sloppy as mixing or even slam in NYC style and your crowd probably wouldn't care if the songs were hot enough .

What you do is attack it like you are playing the good shit and get creative. You may want to try mixing some of this hot garbage by Key, Embrace the Hot Garbage and use the power of Serato to ROCK IT!

It's not WHAT you play but HOW you play it - PLAYA.
dj_craigmac 2:29 PM - 6 May, 2010
Hey Johnny, Art just said it all^^^^^
Dj K.Smith 3:16 PM - 6 May, 2010
Y
O
U

A
L
R
E
A
D
Y

K
N
O
W
Dj K.Smith 3:16 PM - 6 May, 2010
Like james brown said JM, "Make it Funky..."
sixxx 3:19 PM - 6 May, 2010
Quote:
Alright Johnny, some advice from another "Ol Dude": Don't forget to change your Depends before the gig.

Good advice.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:41 PM - 6 May, 2010
Quote:
Embrace the Hot Garbage and use the power of Serato to ROCK IT!

It's not WHAT you play but HOW you play it - PLAYA.

LMAO.

This is like therapy!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:44 PM - 6 May, 2010
Quote:
Hey Johnny, Art just said it all^^^^^

Basically.

SMH @
Quote:
There was more HOT STEAMING NO TALENT GARBAGE back then than there is now.
agentorange 5:23 PM - 6 May, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Alright Johnny, some advice from another "Ol Dude": Don't forget to change your Depends before the gig.

Good advice.

hahahhahahahahha!!!!!!!!!!
agentorange 5:23 PM - 6 May, 2010
i feel the love!!!
CMOS 7:34 PM - 6 May, 2010
Give the gig to a younger DJ like Feffen. I heard that dude is getting nice. lolz
the_black_one 7:36 PM - 6 May, 2010
Quote:
Give the gig to a younger DJ like Feffen. I heard that dude is getting nice. lolz

(no homo)
dj_craigmac 8:53 PM - 6 May, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good advice.

hahahhahahahahha!!!!!!!!!!

Yall are wrong for that. LOL
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:23 PM - 6 May, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Alright Johnny, some advice from another "Ol Dude": Don't forget to take 2 viagra and call me in the morning.....to tell me the stories!!!!

YES! I'M DYING TO HEAR!.

Hey sixxx, I'm not telling you how I handle my bizznizz man, there are many free sex stories out there on the net for you to research man...

****slowly backs I out of thread....****

Y'all handle dat....

I'm out.
sixxx 9:25 PM - 6 May, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Alright Johnny, some advice from another "Ol Dude": Don't forget to take 2 viagra and call me in the morning.....to tell me the stories!!!!

YES! I'M DYING TO HEAR!.

Hey sixxx, I'm not telling you how I handle my man's bananazz, there are many free sex stories out there on the net for you to research man...

****slowly backs the ass out....****

Y'all handle dat....

I'm out of the closet.

We know already!!!!! Man. You don't have to keep reminding us that you're gay!
the_black_one 9:29 PM - 6 May, 2010
jhonny is gay! go figure.
sixxx 9:30 PM - 6 May, 2010
They call JohnnyM the bear.... or I thought that's what they meant when I heard that he's gayoso.

lol
the_black_one 9:32 PM - 6 May, 2010
jajajajajajajajajajaja
DJ TOGTFO 12:07 AM - 7 May, 2010
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:08 PM - 15 May, 2010
Ugggg....

Ok, I need a TRACK ID...

Sounds like the chorus is "Pop That, Pop That", but by Weezy, or somone who sounds like him....
Kool DJ Sheak One 6:00 PM - 15 May, 2010
Johnny starting to sound like the drunk blonde chick at the club (nm)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:32 PM - 15 May, 2010
Quote:
Johnny starting to sound like the drunk blonde chick at the club (nm)

I know...right?

***sigh***
DJDDT 7:48 AM - 16 May, 2010
Quote:
Ugggg....

Ok, I need a TRACK ID...

Sounds like the chorus is "Pop That, Pop That", but by Weezy, or somone who sounds like him....

Young Money "Steady Mobbin' "
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:42 PM - 16 May, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Ugggg....

Ok, I need a TRACK ID...

BINGO.

Thank you sir.

That song is CRAZY, after hearing the CLEAN version all the time on the radio.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:45 PM - 16 May, 2010
I'd like to thank all of you who helped me through this process.

The party was hotness, but the music theme wound up centering around Classic House, and you know I'm the man behind that!

I'm sure I will need another therapy session in about a month, so again, thanks to all of you who are helping me deal with this.

Hello, my name is DJJOHNNYM, and I have to play "Today's HipHop at times".

Admitting you have a problem is the 1st step.
DJ Nick Lee 6:04 PM - 16 May, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Ugggg....

Ok, I need a TRACK ID...

Nice DJDDT. I've never listened to the clean version before so I didn't know what it was either.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:08 PM - 16 May, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ugggg....

Ok, I need a TRACK ID...

Nice DJDDT. I've never listened to the clean version before so I didn't know what it was either.

REALLY? You've only heard the Dirty version?

OMG, I googled the title when DJDDT gave it to me, and the FIRST THING out of dudes mouth was F-This and F-That...

Like, c'mon man, the EDITED VERSIONS of these songs are bad enough, but the UNCENSORED ones are just a waste....

I stay laughing at Rosanne's son's reference though...

But they REALLY need something else to rap about....
DJ Nick Lee 6:27 PM - 16 May, 2010
I listened to the clean edit just long enough to put cues in.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:29 PM - 16 May, 2010
Quote:
I listened to the clean edit just long enough to put cues in.

Ha ha...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:52 AM - 19 September, 2010
*****sigh***

Teach me how to Dougie"????

Pretty boy swag.....

seriously?????

I mean SERIOUSLY?????

Man, listen.....

I would normally say, you couldn't PAY me to listen to this stuff...

But I guess you could PAY ME to PLAY it....

:-/
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:53 AM - 19 September, 2010
Quote:

Hello, my name is DJJOHNNYM, and I have to play "Today's HipHop at times".
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 7:05 PM - 19 September, 2010
@ Johnny

80's: Chic - Le Freak
Today: Cali Swag - Teach Me how to Dougie

Difference??????
dj_craigmac 8:11 PM - 19 September, 2010
Quote:
@ Johnny

Difference??????

Major Difference...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:03 PM - 19 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
@ Johnny

Difference??????

Major Difference...

You ALREADY KNOW...

Chic were pioneers in their heyday...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:52 PM - 19 September, 2010
But I get your point....
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 11:07 PM - 19 September, 2010
@ Craigmac I was gonna say - Do the Hustle - the disco song but I barely remember that one too.

We had our versions of Dance oriented songs - Tyrone Brunson - The Smurf & Joeski Love - Pee Wee Herman....

just gotta think harder - LOL.

(I was trying to think of a parallel throwback to Pretty Boy Swag, - only thing that popped in my head was "Cool" by The Time - I'm stumped - suggestions?)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:12 PM - 19 September, 2010
I'm more mad at Pretty Boy Swag....

Crank Dat was the perfect example of a "Themed" song, but Pretty Boy swag is just GAWBAGE all the way around....and the chicks love it...

I swear, I HEARD AND PLAYED "Teach me how to Dougie" for the 1ST TIME and it was at that event.

The ONLY thing that makes these pills easier to swallow is that I can get this GAWBAGE for FREE on Digiwaxx.

It's like, DISPOSABLE MUSIC. because I would have a SERIOUS PROBLEM "Purchasing" Pretty Boy swag if we were still in the vinyl era....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:15 PM - 19 September, 2010
Quote:

(I was trying to think of a parallel throwback to Pretty Boy Swag, - only thing that popped in my head was "Cool" by The Time - I'm stumped - suggestions?)

Naw, "Cool" by The Time was a "respected" song...

Wait, I know Soulja Boy ain't tryin' to be a Modern Day Morris Day....OH HELL NAW..

Crank Dat = The Bird

Pretty Boy Swag = Cool?

Aww hell naw...
dj_craigmac 11:48 PM - 19 September, 2010
@ Art. Even though i think this song is dope it kinda fits what you are sayin

Kid Creole and the Cocanuts - I'm A Wonderful Thing
Watchwww.youtube.com
djlj 3:30 AM - 20 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Felt good too...

I didn't know the Silver Bullet Band had decided to go with Steve Miller instead of Bob Seger...
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:32 PM - 20 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Felt good too...

I didn't know the Silver Bullet Band had decided to go with Steve Miller instead of Bob Seger...

He shops for his music on Limewire. They have exclusives like that.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:33 PM - 20 September, 2010
Yes, Bob Segar was busy at the time. It was a bootleg collabo.