DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Opening DJ Using a MIDI Controller???

OB One 6:06 PM - 29 April, 2010
Im opening up for some out of town DJ tomorrow night. I sometimes use a MIDI controller for loops, samples and whatever. Do you think its forceing it to bust out the controller for just an opening set? Im spinning like 930-11.

Im leaning towards not bringing it.... What does the forum think?
DVDjHardy 6:22 PM - 29 April, 2010
Is this a serious question?
OB One 6:37 PM - 29 April, 2010
Whats so unbelievable abotu that question?
DVDjHardy 6:55 PM - 29 April, 2010
Quote:
Whats so unbelievable abotu that question?

The fact that you want to know what others think about your use of a MIDI controller.
---
Just go out there and have fun. Do the best you can. If that means using a MIDI controller, then use it. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks, because you'll never make everyone happy in life no matter how nice, awesome and polite you may be.
OB One 7:04 PM - 29 April, 2010
Life lessons??? Its only a Korg nanoKontrol.
dj_soo 7:23 PM - 29 April, 2010
if you want to use it, use it. if it makes your set more enjoyable, then do it.
the_black_one 7:46 PM - 29 April, 2010
be who your are and play with whatever you feel comfortable with! why do you need our opinion or approval to do what you love to do.
SuckaDJ 8:06 PM - 29 April, 2010
unless your midi controller is a 61 key keyboard, go for it!
Wazo 8:08 PM - 29 April, 2010
Quote:
Do you think its forceing it to bust out the controller for just an opening set? quote]

what? whats forcing what?

yeah who cares. who will see/notice anyways? expecially if its a nanopad? you must be bored at work or something to ask that question.

My answer is yes bring and use the nanopad.
Wazo 8:09 PM - 29 April, 2010
^^ i dont know why the box around my note is there?>?>>>
the_black_one 8:12 PM - 29 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Do you think its forceing it to bust out the controller for just an opening set? quote]

what? whats forcing what?

yeah who cares. who will see/notice anyways? expecially if its a nanopad? you must be bored at work or something to ask that question.

My answer is yes bring and use the nanopad
the_black_one 8:12 PM - 29 April, 2010
fixed
OB One 8:16 PM - 29 April, 2010
Hahaha ya I was kind of bored...

But I mean theirs so many rules and regulations when it comes to the opening set: "Dont play this, dont get in the way, dont bring people in the booth", yada yada yada we've all seen the posts.

My question was if our job as an operner is to cater to the headliner:

Are you looking like a try hard setting up all kinds of extra equptment when the night is supposed to be all about them.

Your supposed to play your set and get the hell outta there. As an opener your supposed to good but not that good. You want them to like you and forget you. So could the headliner take that the wrong way if you show up with that.

Thats my question.
Wazo 8:16 PM - 29 April, 2010
thanks man
Wazo 8:17 PM - 29 April, 2010
so many things wrong with your stament youll get flamed for that now. wait and watch
Wazo 8:20 PM - 29 April, 2010
no youre not a try hard, not you shouldnt be forgotten, you are meant to be good. they wont take it the wrong way.

you arent any lesser of a DJ if you use your nano pad. in fact some would see the opposite.

your call. but it completely of no difference what you chose. tell the headliner to fuck off if hes got a prob with your nanopad, tehn watch him pull a midicon out.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:21 PM - 29 April, 2010
Quote:
so many things wrong with your stament youll get flamed for that now. wait and watch

+1 ...click...click.....CLICK.....damn outta fluid ill be right back
the_black_one 8:21 PM - 29 April, 2010
getting flame thrower ready!
OB One 8:24 PM - 29 April, 2010
Ok lets hear it...
Wazo 8:28 PM - 29 April, 2010
jokes man. i kid i kid.
the_black_one 9:15 PM - 29 April, 2010
lol
dj deedz 9:57 PM - 29 April, 2010
All I can say is do whatever you feel comfortable why do you give a shit about what other djs think, do ya thing, don't worry about anybody else.
Wazo 9:58 PM - 29 April, 2010
^^ exactly.
OB One 10:01 PM - 29 April, 2010
Ok thats good advice... Good looks Deedz
ninos 10:46 PM - 29 April, 2010
Quote:
Im opening up for some out of town DJ tomorrow night. I sometimes use a MIDI controller for loops, samples and whatever. Do you think its forceing it to bust out the controller for just an opening set? Im spinning like 930-11.

Im leaning towards not bringing it.... What does the forum think?

what ever floats your boat.
Jay Sol 10:50 PM - 29 April, 2010
do YOU man!
dj l freak 7:09 AM - 10 May, 2010
its only a nano pad. go for it... it doesn't take that much space n its not a big deal.
djchope 7:29 AM - 10 May, 2010
its his next question regarding to put or not to put mustard on his hot-dog?
djbanno 7:35 AM - 10 May, 2010
Quote:
do YOU man!

Quite possibly the best advice i have heard in a while.
formulated 8:58 AM - 10 May, 2010
one reason people buy MIDI controllers in the first place is so to the crowd it doesn't look like you're typing on facebook, it looks like you're doing what a DJ is meant to - the other reason, is CONTROL - especially if you're used to using it, why stop now?
KYLE SMILE 11:32 AM - 10 May, 2010
I only use a midi player now. Sold off my cdj1000 mk3s and bought myself a denon hc4500 that works loads better for me. Cue points, loops, pitch control, scratching (albeit a tiny platter) etc. It also has 2 built in sound cards to use with other software.