DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Tips to negotiate out of free gigs

Deejaysk 1:13 AM - 27 April, 2010
If you must have to do it for free, do it.

otherwise...
#1. How much would you pay for non-stop mixed cd(s) that will have all songs you want?
#2. And pay/rent for that thing where sounds will be coming out from

Any more tips?
BERTO 1:22 AM - 27 April, 2010
i dont understand ur post, ur asking for free Dj advice?
dj buterd hams 1:25 AM - 27 April, 2010
nah he is tryin to give "comebacks" for people that are tryin to get gigs for free.

#3. let alone how much will u spend on itunes buyin each track for 99 cents ?
BERTO 1:29 AM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:
If you must have to do it for free, do it.

???
BERTO 1:30 AM - 27 April, 2010
#4 just say no
DJBIGWIZ 1:30 AM - 27 April, 2010
ask them to do their job for free and give you their paycheck for the day.
BERTO 1:33 AM - 27 April, 2010
walk away
Deejaysk 1:44 AM - 27 April, 2010
This is for new djs, who are just starting out. These djs must charge at leaset something or pro djs will be lowballed. We need to set some benchmark for starting djs.
Deejaysk 1:51 AM - 27 April, 2010
If you play out each song 3min it will be 20 songs an hour * $0.99 = $19.80 + State minimum wage + ( Speaker total price/speaker average lifetime) + ..........

sorry I am nerd.
Deejaysk 1:53 AM - 27 April, 2010
pardon my spelling and grammer. English is not my first language.
the_black_one 1:55 AM - 27 April, 2010
NEVER EVER DO ANYTHING FOR FREE!!!!
ninos 1:59 AM - 27 April, 2010
ibtl? haha
Zero Day 2:09 AM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:
NEVER EVER DO ANYTHING FOR FREE!!!!

nahh some gigs u get payed for and some dont unless u like pauly d (disposed) then doin benifit shows n whatnot on occasion for a decent cause aint a bad thing. dont do like a party or club for free maby with the exception of like a 1 hr set for the hell of it
the_black_one 2:14 AM - 27 April, 2010
anyone please tell me where i can go get FREE food, a FREE car, a FREE place to stay, FREE money.......... you get the point. If you don't get anything for free in the real world then why should YOU do anything for FREE?
Zero Day 2:15 AM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:
anyone please tell me where i can go get FREE food, a FREE car, a FREE place to stay, FREE money.......... you get the point. If you don't get anything for free in the real world then why should YOU do anything for FREE?

my boy yesterday jus got a free car.. lmao no joke
was on the phone wth his ma n his ma's friend over heard him askin for a ride n said i have a 02 ford toris i dont need u want it?
haha thought id share
the_black_one 2:16 AM - 27 April, 2010
once you do it for free then the next time people will expect you to do it for free again.

Get paid for your work. no matter what you do in life!
the_black_one 2:26 AM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

was on the phone wth his ma n his ma's friend over heard him askin for a ride n said i have a 02 ford toris i dont need u want it?
haha thought id share

you still gotta pay taxes to put it under your name so it's not free!
the_black_one 2:27 AM - 27 April, 2010
you go into a joint and rock it out and at the end of the gig you get nothing wile other folks make a profit out of the atmosphere you provide.
BERTO 2:30 AM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

haha thought id share

you can put the value of the car as 100 bucks and pay like 8 bucks tax pretty free for me
the_black_one 2:35 AM - 27 April, 2010
all im saying is you invest money into your business then you should get paid for providing a service!
dj buterd hams 3:27 AM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

haha thought id share

you can put the value of the car as 100 bucks and pay like 8 bucks tax pretty free for me

thats against the law buddy . judge millian would be pissed. hahahaha
SK1 4:01 AM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:
once you do it for free then the next time people will expect you to do it for free again.

Get paid for your work. no matter what you do in life!

I did a "free" gig as a late wedding gift for a close friend, but that is where I draw the line.

I have a gig coming up where they wanted me to do it for free because the guys GF is throwing him a party, but she is broke and can't afford to hire a DJ. She did offer services (no prostitute) in exchange for DJ. She is a hair stylist and would do my hair or my girls hair for free a few times. Two problems with that...

1.) I only go to the same barber that I've been using for 18 years, and doubt she could cut my kind of hair anyway.

2.) No girlfriend

The way I got around it was telling his homies to pitch for it. If everyone pitched in around $10, it would be all good.

In closing I would just like to say... Broke People Shouldn't Throw A Party. I'm sure they all have an ipod or radio of some sort plug it in and turn it up!
DJBIGWIZ 5:25 AM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:
Broke People Shouldn't Throw A Party.

hahahahaha... great!
Deejaysk 5:33 AM - 27 April, 2010
Some of new dj might have the urge to share music with masses. in that case, make your mixtape and post it on your myspace /facebook page to get your fix.
Doctorjon 5:41 AM - 27 April, 2010
Lol even though you would love to dj and get paid...doesn't it suck sometimes to go to a party where there should be a dj and there isn't a dj? And than your there the music totally sucks and your like man i should be there djing.
Doctorjon 5:42 AM - 27 April, 2010
Heres a tip also. Tell them you've got BILLS! Work out prices. Charge something you feel is fair for private parties and etc. Make a standard contract.
The Return of Dj Sparky 10:09 AM - 27 April, 2010
if you need tips to say no you need to grow some balls
DJ Goce 10:36 AM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:
if you need tips to say no you need to grow some balls

LOL!!!!! True...... Get your testosterone level up son....
MADLOGIC the Selectah 10:46 AM - 27 April, 2010
LOL!!!!
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:42 PM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:

If you dont know where to find this you must not have looked very hard, theres government programs for all of the above
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:44 PM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

haha thought id share

thats against the law buddy . judge millian would be pissed. hahahaha

SHITS LEGAL SON!!!!!!!!1
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:13 PM - 27 April, 2010
Im gonna throw this out there and i really think its the bottom line most logical approach to the situation, alot of people wont like it but i dont think you can faul the logic.......THIS ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT ITS WORTH TO YOU TO DO IT, its cost\bennefit annalysis at its most basic. For most guys on here DJing is a busniess, its how they make ends meet so if something happens to their equipment they lose money and life gets ALOT harder for them, for them it makes 0 sense to play for free and they hate people who do, these people also have enough talent\busniess where if they book a free gig their losing time they could be at a paying gig so once again it makes no sense to do it for free. Some people on here dont do it for the money but they have other things theyd rather be doing, some have wives and kids theys rather spend time with, some like to go drinking with their friends, go listen to music, play video games ect ect so if they are doing a free gig they are missing out on something theyd enjoy so its putting their cost\bennnefit in the negative even though theres no increase or decrease in monetary value.

Before i got my paying residency i did tons of free gigs, reason being was that for me it was a bennefit just to be spinning in front of people, i think playing video games and watching TV is a waste of time in itself, i didnt have any paying gigs i was missing out on and since my day job covered my needs it didnt matter if something happened to the equipment since the equipment was a luxery not a necessity, id push myself into places that didnt even want a dj let alone want to pay for one, and no i wasnt taking work from working DJs because they were events where if i didnt do it there would not have been a DJ anyway. Those gigs got my foot in the door where i am now. Now that im in a situation where i have a paying alternative or would lose out if something happened to my gear would i take a free gig, most likley not, not unless it was one i know i would REALLLY enjoy doing or there would be some form of long term results for my actions.

Ive seen several people in here saying never do anything for free but i see the same people giving out free stuff everyday, there are books and DVDs that cost money that explain how to dj, how to run a dj busniess ect ect, people from serato and rane who are payed to help with tech support advice, all kind of knowledge based services that tons of people on this board log on to do for free every day without realising it. I dont think the guy who programed scratchtools ever got paid for that service and it bennefited alot of people on here and there are tons of free programs alot of us run that were made by people who enjoy programming, make stuff for themselves and then hand out the code....hell one of the largest threads on this forum is the one where everyones posting free mixes

The point to this diatribe isnt that its ok to be a freejay. Its to be able to look at your own situation and decide what if the best course of action for yourself, if your in this to make money and dont have a great day job dont go taking free gigs, if you have better things to do or if the gig sounds terrible JUST DONT TAKE IT, use the money as a way out, figure out how much your time and your services are worth and go for it dont be afraid to be asked to be compensated for your services. Also look at the event thats being thrown, people in this thread keep saying that people are profitting of your free work but theres plenty of events that need DJs that arent making any profit at all. In any situation try to squeeze as much out of it as you can but in the long run people you cant ask people on here how much YOU should be charging or what YOU should be asking for because only you know whats valuable to you and what your situation is and what you want to get out of it.
Doctorjon 2:28 PM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:
Im gonna throw this out there and i really think its the bottom line most logical approach to the situation, alot of people wont like it but i dont think you can faul the logic.......THIS ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT ITS WORTH TO YOU TO DO IT, its cost\bennefit annalysis at its most basic. For most guys on here DJing is a busniess, its how they make ends meet so if something happens to their equipment they lose money and life gets ALOT harder for them, for them it makes 0 sense to play for free and they hate people who do, these people also have enough talent\busniess where if they book a free gig their losing time they could be at a paying gig so once again it makes no sense to do it for free. Some people on here dont do it for the money but they have other things theyd rather be doing, some have wives and kids theys rather spend time with, some like to go drinking with their friends, go listen to music, play video games ect ect so if they are doing a free gig they are missing out on something theyd enjoy so its putting their cost\bennnefit in the negative even though theres no increase or decrease in monetary value.

Before i got my paying residency i did tons of free gigs, reason being was that for me it was a bennefit just to be spinning in front of people, i think playing video games and watching TV is a waste of time in itself, i didnt have any paying gigs i was missing out on and since my day job covered my needs it didnt matter if something happened to the equipment since the equipment was a luxery not a necessity, id push myself into places that didnt even want a dj let alone want to pay for one, and no i wasnt taking work from working DJs because they were events where if i didnt do it there would not have been a DJ anyway. Those gigs got my foot in the door where i am now. Now that im in a situation where i have a paying alternative or would lose out if something happened to my gear would i take a free gig, most likley not, not unless it was one i know i would REALLLY enjoy doing or there would be some form of long term results for my actions.

Ive seen several people in here saying never do anything for free but i see the same people giving out free stuff everyday, there are books and DVDs that cost money that explain how to dj, how to run a dj busniess ect ect, people from serato and rane who are payed to help with tech support advice, all kind of knowledge based services that tons of people on this board log on to do for free every day without realising it. I dont think the guy who programed scratchtools ever got paid for that service and it bennefited alot of people on here and there are tons of free programs alot of us run that were made by people who enjoy programming, make stuff for themselves and then hand out the code....hell one of the largest threads on this forum is the one where everyones posting free mixes

The point to this diatribe isnt that its ok to be a freejay. Its to be able to look at your own situation and decide what if the best course of action for yourself, if your in this to make money and dont have a great day job dont go taking free gigs, if you have better things to do or if the gig sounds terrible JUST DONT TAKE IT, use the money as a way out, figure out how much your time and your services are worth and go for it dont be afraid to be asked to be compensated for your services. Also look at the event thats being thrown, people in this thread keep saying that people are profitting of your free work but theres plenty of events that need DJs that arent making any profit at all. In any situation try to squeeze as much out of it as you can but in the long run people you cant ask people on here how much YOU should be charging or what YOU should be asking for because only you know whats valuable to you and what your situation is and what you want to get out of it.

+1

Damn i actually read all that!
the_black_one 7:20 PM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:

so playing for free put you in the place you are now?
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:30 PM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

so playing for free put you in the place you are now?

Im not saying playing for free is the sole reason i am where i am but playing for free DEFINATLEY got me exposure i never would have gotten otherwise but that wasnt really the point i was making. The point i was making was everyone here has a different reason for doing what they do and every dj here has different expectations on what they want to get out of it in the long run they also all live with different circumstances, so it dosent make sense to play the game by the rules other people make to get what they want out of it if playing by those rules dont translate into what you want out of it
the_black_one 7:37 PM - 27 April, 2010
it's all about respecting an art and a craft. Anytime someone does anything for free it affects the market place in one way or another. Supply and demand. Back to the word "respect". You go in there and DJ for free.You get your name out there.You are going to have to make money at some point. You are also going to start at the bottom of the pay structure because that is where you have put yourself by doing it for free before.Have some respect for the craft and the art of DJing
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:57 PM - 27 April, 2010
I personally dont agree with you on a few points

1)
Quote:

Anytime someone does anything for free it affects the market place in one way or another.

Lets say my boy is having a house party and has no intention of hiring a dj, you think it would be fun to do it and have nothing better to do so yuo say hey let come spin it it will be awsome. He says sure. Party goes great. How does that negativley affect the market.

Quote:

You are going to have to make money at some point.

See thats a personal goal there, not everyone wants to make money out of this at any point. To some people its just fun to play in front of people. Im not saying thats right but i dont think its anyones busniess to determine what someone else should do to make themselves happy.

Hell even AM did free gigs and he def wasnt at the bottom of the pay structure
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:57 PM - 27 April, 2010
IMHO the art and craft of DJing and the Busniess of DJing are 2 entirley different things
CMOS 8:41 PM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:

Just when you think Bezzle might actually need to wear a helmet during daily life. He posts some shit like this.

Nice. +1
Djaward 9:08 PM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:
id push myself into places that didnt even want a dj let alone want to pay for one, and no i wasnt taking work from working DJs because they were events where if i didnt do it there would not have been a DJ anyway. Those gigs got my foot in the door where i am now.

did this a couple of months ago. Now I dj for this company every single time they have an event. And its good money. Keep in mind "No matter where you're djing at, theres always someone listening".
the_black_one 9:22 PM - 27 April, 2010
i guess i was brought up in a time where you did something and you got paid for it, not to get a boner out of it!!! if you like doing things for free than whatever floats your boat. Long live the free jays because they just want to do it for free so they can play in front of people and get their kicks off!!!
the_black_one 9:23 PM - 27 April, 2010
****UN-SUBSCRIBES******
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:27 PM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:
i guess i was brought up in a time where you did something and you got paid for it, not to get a boner out of it!!! if you like doing things for free than whatever floats your boat. Long live the free jays because they just want to do it for free so they can play in front of people and get their kicks off!!!

do you get paid to post on here??
Joee 9:56 PM - 27 April, 2010
how about Sorry can't do i'm already booked that day, for a day time event night time event & a after hours gig sorry no can do
Deejaysk 11:21 PM - 27 April, 2010
you could say sorry, but the kid next block will do it for free. we need that kid to charge something. and that is what we need to try. I would do it for free if I get more exposure for sure. I would even pay larry king to get me on cnn or buy that hot model chick to go out with me for some dinners if that gets my name out.
DjLogan 3:27 PM - 3 May, 2010
Nobody does anything for free. Everyone has some sort of motive in what they do.
Example
Doing a charity event for free of charge.
What you get from the event,
* Self gratification that you helped in a good cause
* Exposure to a large number of potential clients
* Tax write off
* Free advertising for your services (make sure you name is on all ADs for event)
* Being associated with a good cause and giving the image "you care" (Great PR)

Basically you should get something back. Your time is valuable.
Banana_Peter 3:34 PM - 3 May, 2010
I have yet to get paid for my DJ services
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:35 PM - 3 May, 2010
Quote:
I have yet to get paid for my BJ services

good thing to cause thats illegal
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:36 PM - 3 May, 2010
Quote:
Nobody does anything for free. Everyone has some sort of motive in what they do.
Example
Doing a charity event for free of charge.
What you get from the event,
* Self gratification that you helped in a good cause
* Exposure to a large number of potential clients
* Tax write off
* Free advertising for your services (make sure you name is on all ADs for event)
* Being associated with a good cause and giving the image "you care" (Great PR)

Basically you should get something back. Your time is valuable.

using your logic then you always get something back so your never working for free
Banana_Peter 3:38 PM - 3 May, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
I have yet to get paid for my BJ services

good thing to cause thats illegal

LOL Damn you