DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Midi Controllers....samples, loops, etc...I need advice stat!

Dj Gunshot 12:28 AM - 23 April, 2010
Ok, this may sound like a retarded question, but I need to ask all of you what the best bang for my buck would be in midi controllers for serato. I need something that is compact. What do u guys use? I have the ddm4000 mixer but am upgrading to a djm-800 next month. I am running sl1 with Pioneer cdj-1000 mk3's, hence the small amount of room on my dj booth where I play. Advice is much appreciated!
djbanno 12:56 AM - 23 April, 2010
Akai LPD8 is what i use and it is good for the basics + is low cost and well made.
Most around here seem to use the Traktor Kontrol X1
Dj Gunshot 1:44 AM - 23 April, 2010
Isn't the Kontrol for Traktor?
ninos 2:05 AM - 23 April, 2010
nope, its not. its serato mappable but i believe its kinda tough to map. why dont you just buy a MIDI to USB cable and map your mixer? thats what i do.
djbanno 2:06 AM - 23 April, 2010
It can be mapped for Serato.

www.scratchlive.net

Its a bit more pricey than the LPD8 tho, so i guess its about how much moolah ya wanna drop.
DJ Unique 4:31 AM - 23 April, 2010
I have both the LPD8 and the X1.
I prefer the X1 due to much more buttons / knobs you can program.
Dj Gunshot 7:34 AM - 23 April, 2010
I was checking out the vids on youtube, the x1 looks pretty legit. I'm going to try out my buddy's lpd8 this weekend, and see how that works, however I did really like the ability of the x1 to run your effects on the fly as well. decisions decisions! Im broke after dropping 2300 bucks on new equip last week. Thank you guys for helping me out, it's much appreciated.
DJ Unique 9:30 AM - 25 April, 2010
Quote:
I was checking out the vids on youtube, the x1 looks pretty legit. I'm going to try out my buddy's lpd8 this weekend, and see how that works, however I did really like the ability of the x1 to run your effects on the fly as well. decisions decisions! Im broke after dropping 2300 bucks on new equip last week. Thank you guys for helping me out, it's much appreciated.

The LPD8 works well.
The only thing I don't like is that the knobs are really small.
n:deuce 3:07 PM - 25 April, 2010
if your not huge on effects, then the denon hc1000s is top notch.