Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

How can I delete a track from the library?

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL1
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
pueblofunky 3:55 PM - 20 April, 2010
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.0
Hardware: scratchlive-sl1
Computer: pc
OS Version: xp
---

Hi,

my files are all READ-ONLY.

I've created some smart-crates with rules. I've selected all the tracks and pressed ctrl+del to delete them from the library but nothing happens. :-(

Then I've copied all tracks into a normal crate. When I press ctrl+del then the tracks are deleted from the crate - but not from "All". OK so far.

Then I've tried shift+ctrl+del to (hopefully) delete it from the "All" ... and - oh shit - also from the hard drive - although the file is READ-ONLY !!

How can I delete my tracks selected with a rule or within a normal crate from the whole (All) library without deleting it from the harddisc?
Konix 4:31 PM - 20 April, 2010
Ctrl+Del = removes from crate, but not ALL

Alt+Del = removes from crate and ALL

Ctrl+Shift+Del = removes from crate, ALL, and hard drive
pueblofunky 4:38 PM - 20 April, 2010
THANKS A LOT! Couldn't find it in the HELP ("?" beside SETUP).

Sad that Ctrl+Shift+Del also deletes read-only files. I'll make a bug report.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 11:50 PM - 20 April, 2010
Quote:
Sad that Ctrl+Shift+Del also deletes read-only files. I'll make a bug report.

The read only option only prevents SSL from changing tag data and etc, but not SSL ability to delete files.
pueblofunky 3:40 PM - 10 June, 2010
AAAAHH ...

During the last dj night I've pressed "Ctrl+Shift+Del " and 2.200 WAV files have been deleted from my harddisc ... :-((((((((((((((((((

NO WARNING from SSL !!!!

And before pressing the keys I've looked at the help - no description can be found for Alt+Del (that's what I need - so I've pressed Ctrl+Shift+Del!) (on the German help!)

PLEASE PLEASE - add the following - as all other file managers are doing:

1) Before deleting the physical files ask: "File xyz will be physically deleted. Are you sure?" Buttons: "YES", "YES TO ALL", "NO", "NO TO ALL", "CANCEL" (no to all + cancel are the same for delete.

AND

2) If a file is READ-ONLY ask again: "File xyz is read-only. Should it be really physically deleted?" Buttons: "YES", "YES TO ALL", "NO", "NO TO ALL", "CANCEL".

Thanks god I'd a backup (at home) but all tracks with artist A-G have been deleted and I was NOT able to play them during the night. :-(

Note: I've a Windows XP setting where the files will not be moved into the TRASH - they will be deleted instantly! However - the trash space wouldn't be high enough for 2.200 WAV files.

Pressing the wrong key could destroy so much - please ask before during something like that!
3:41 PM, 10 Jun 2010
pueblofunky attached a file: SSL_Bug.png
View· Permalink
pueblofunky 3:43 PM - 10 June, 2010
Ctrl + Entf (Del) described.

Ctrl + Shift + Entf (Del) described, but wrong - "File(s) will be moved into to trash (Papierkorb)" .. is not true in my case. "Files will be physically deleted" or in German: "Files werden physisch gelöscht!" would be much better.

Alt + Entf (Del) ... not described - that's what I would have needed.
ninjagaijin 3:51 PM - 10 June, 2010
HEY!!

-SETTINGS-

-LIBRARY-

-PROTECT LIBRARY-

*CLICK IT ON!!!*

NO more deleting 2000 files.

Oh and you need backup everything anyway!! You need 2nd hdd same size as your tunes hdd, to have permanent backup - or a crapload of dvds burnt.
ninjagaijin 3:53 PM - 10 June, 2010
Way to fix this would be another button in library options - *allow deletion of files from hdd in Serato by shortcuts*

But I think protect library is enough. I've never accidentally done this button, but it's not a good button mash that my cats MIGHT be able to achieve !! :)
pueblofunky 4:07 PM - 10 June, 2010
I often create or delete crates - specially the new smart crates. So protect library is always off.

I'm also using WAV files and Tag & Rename for tagging only. Before I go djing I have to delete the _ScratchLIVE_ folders and re-import all WAV files - a rescan of the files is not possible - it does not show the updated tags - but this should be fixed soon.

I've asked for more library + file options multiple times - but the developers of SSL don't understand that ... but it's simple ... :-(

Library file options:
o1) Allow deleting files from library
o2) Ask before deleting files from library

Library crate options:
o3) Allow add/update/delete crates from library
o4) Ask before deleting crates from library

Physical file options:
o5) Allow physical delete of files
o6) Ask before deleting physical files
o7) Ask before deleting physical read-only files

Incl. the buttons for YES, YES TO ALL, NO, NO TO ALL, CANCEL ...

That's it (hopefully). Some combinations might not be possible so a warning should come up. e.g. o1) can not be YES if o5 is NO.
pueblofunky 5:23 PM - 10 June, 2010
It's also very important to ask because different notebooks and pc's have different keyboards - so pressing the wrong keys could mean (no tracks anymore) - "sorry no money dj" and the worst case if no 2nd dj is there you could be kicked out of the club too - and another scenario - the organizers / hosts only allow CD's anymore and no computers anymore. Not good for Serato and others.

PS: I've 3 different computers at home and 2 different computers at work - all with different keyboards. And after computing since 1982 every day (!) I NEVER "delete" anything without a re-question by the software.

SSL MUST implement a security question.

I'll post this also in the feature queue - to the importance!
ninjagaijin 7:19 PM - 10 June, 2010
yeah, i dont need to delete files through serato unless they corrupt majorly, or doubles I find.. very rare I use the full delete.. I do that in windows if I want..safer without that option because I never use protect library - I always edit tags - too much music
pueblofunky 7:04 AM - 11 June, 2010
Quote:
very rare I use the full delete

It was an accident! Pressed wrong keys - and that's it! Short + Effective :-(

Quote:
I do that in windows if I want..safer

but I've read in the whole harddisc - created a few smart crates with a logic (what I want to play/delete), copied the tracks from a smart crate to a normal crate, selected them in the crate and pressed the wrong keys ... aaargh.

I don't want to go into to deeper why I delete them from library but however in short - currently not all are tagged with grouping infos, a lot of duplicates, etc. so I've tried to sort them out with genre, year, etc. - and all which I don't need for djing this night I've tried to sort out and remove from library.