DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

QSC RMX5050 vs CROWN XLS 5000, help me decide!

SELECT 3:39 PM - 8 April, 2010
I use a JBL SRX 718s sub for my mobile gigs. I use it now with a crown xls 802, about 1600 watts bridged to 8 ohms. It thumps, but not like I'd want it too.

Im leaning towards the Crown XLS 5000, just because Ive found it cheaper online than the QSC rmx 5050. If anyone owns either let me know your thoughts, advice.

Crown XLS 500 -3,600W @ 8ohms
QSC rmx 5050 - 3200 W @ 8ohms
DJ DisGrace 3:57 PM - 8 April, 2010
I think those both need a 20amp plug.... not ideal for mobile use unless you have a distro.

buy another sub and amp would be my suggestion
SELECT 4:17 PM - 8 April, 2010
What does the 20 amp plug mean? Ive used the sub amp combo for over a year now with no problems.
DJ DisGrace 4:47 PM - 8 April, 2010
Quote:
What does the 20 amp plug mean? Ive used the sub amp combo for over a year now with no problems.

the power cord for the RMX5050 will look like this:

service.pcconnection.com

To work properly, that amp needs a 20 amp service. Your typical wall jack is 15 amps. 99% of the time you will not have an outlet available like that at a mobile gig.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:59 PM - 8 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

service.pcconnection.com

To work properly, that amp needs a 20 amp service. Your typical wall jack is 15 amps. 99% of the time you will not have an outlet available like that at a mobile gig.

That is absolutely correct.

You will be ASS-OUT with a 20amp plug for mobile gigs.
DJ DisGrace 5:05 PM - 8 April, 2010
I would suspect the same thing for the Crown.... a typical 15amp circuit is out of gas at around 2000W (give or take)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:29 PM - 8 April, 2010
Quote:
I would suspect the same thing for the Crown.... a typical 15amp circuit is out of gas at around 2000W (give or take)

That Crown doesn't mention having a NEMA 5-20 plug on the cordset.
SELECT 5:52 PM - 8 April, 2010
Right, I have the crown and the have used the QSC, neither use a 20 amp plug.

For now I think I'll just upgrade to the xls 5000. Its cheaper than the QSC online.
DJ'Que 10:59 PM - 8 April, 2010
20 amps are everywhere 30amp and 50amps are not. you can run them but the circuit will pop if u have it on the same circuit as frig,light's,washing machine. like that. always run big amps to its own circuit if possible. every place has a dedicated 30amp circuit. u just have to find the electrician and ask. as for a distribution box thats a different story. you need a 240v with either a twist lock ( best) or a conventional plug.
DJ'Que 11:12 PM - 8 April, 2010
Quote:
I think those both need a 20amp plug.... not ideal for mobile use unless you have a distro.

why is that I use Crown 5000vz ,3600vz for mobile gigs and those are micro tech's.I use a distribution box.if the have a hook up. but you have to know how to distribute the power. thats not a valid statement saying their not good for mobile.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:50 PM - 8 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

why is that I use Crown 5000vz ,3600vz for mobile gigs and those are micro tech's.I use a distribution box.if the have a hook up. but you have to know how to distribute the power. thats not a valid statement saying their not good for mobile.

What's he's saying is that MOST PLACES, don't have a 20AMP recepticle handy for those types of amps...

If you have a distribution box, it won't do any good if they don't want you touchin' their Electrical Cabinet.
Serato
Sean.C 12:00 AM - 9 April, 2010
In a previous life i worked for the distributor of both brands here in jolly old NZ...

in my opinion QSC win hands down from a reliability AND sound perspective.

S
DJ-JC 12:02 AM - 9 April, 2010
Buy A Peavey CS4080Hz This Amp Give You 2040 Wats @ 4ohms Per Channel Stereo And It Only Draws About 15amp's. I Use To Have QSC RMX's And PLX's And I Sold All Of Them To Buy This Peavey Amps They R The Shit The Sound Quality Compare To The RMX Or Any Crown Low end Amps It Blows Them Out, You Can Compare This To The Crowns Macro's.
Serato
Sean.C 12:10 AM - 9 April, 2010
110 volts - 2040 watts = approx 19 amps ????

i could be wrong cos i am crap at math so check it out here:

www.sengpielaudio.com

s
Yorick_ 2:16 AM - 9 April, 2010
P = VI is pretty simple. And yes, you're perfectly correct. Math win! ;)

Wouldn't 2040 watts per channel mean ~38 amps running both channels though? That's enough to pop even commercial premises circuits.

What kind of subwoofer are we talking that needs five kilowatt amps anyway? What kind of subwoofer can *take* five kilowatts and not pop like a party balloon? Non-car-amps are rated in RMS wattage, not imaginary peak wattage...
wadup 3:09 AM - 9 April, 2010
how about a refurbished crown it8000... saw it for $2000. would anyone buy it
Serato
Sean.C 3:43 AM - 9 April, 2010
hell no!
wadup 3:49 AM - 9 April, 2010
why not? it's factory refurbish with 3 yr warranty
DJ DisGrace 4:07 AM - 9 April, 2010
Quote:

www.sengpielaudio.com

s

Math Pass, yes, but the breakers are always usually 15amps

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What's he's saying is that MOST PLACES, don't have a 20AMP recepticle handy for those types of amps...

If you have a distribution box, it won't do any good if they don't want you touchin' their Electrical Cabinet.

Not too many "mobile djs" I've met even know enough to use 12 awg cable for long runs of AC (or what awg means for that matter)

Que, it sounds you do a lot of production work - you are leaps and bounds ahead of ur average "mobile" dj. I used to sell pro audio gear and have had to convince many people that if they don't know what a 20a outlet looks like, they don't need an RMX5050
DJ-JC 4:10 AM - 9 April, 2010
I
Quote:

www.sengpielaudio.com

s

I Ran my system 3way and use 2 of this amps for My 4 Subs = subswww.peavey.com(R)%20218%20Subwoofer.cfm And never have any issues i plug it to a 20 or 15 amp plug each and before with my rmx 5050 almost all the time i had power problems. its the way the amp are built and the technology that they use so this calculator don't apply to this amps. this amps still really heavy but don't draw much power And they sound way better that the rmx's

Quote:

This crown IT amps r the bomb there the best of the best if you have the money go for it. i think crown still give you a 3 year warranty on refurbished
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:25 PM - 9 April, 2010
Quote:
if they don't know what a 20a outlet looks like, they don't need an RMX5050

Gospel.
SELECT 3:22 PM - 9 April, 2010
Sheit so Im wrong, the RMX 5050 uses a 20 amp plug? Damn I really wanted to get one after the reviews I read, no way now. I wouldnt be able to use it for mobile gigs! They have a few of them at the spot Im spinning tonight. Im gonna peek around back and see how they plug them in.

So there is basically no way of using a a RMX 5050 for a mobile gig?
DJ DisGrace 3:25 PM - 9 April, 2010
Quote:
Sheit so Im wrong, the RMX 5050 uses a 20 amp plug? Damn I really wanted to get one after the reviews I read, no way now. I wouldnt be able to use it for mobile gigs! They have a few of them at the spot Im spinning tonight. Im gonna peek around back and see how they plug them in.

So there is basically no way of using a a RMX 5050 for a mobile gig?

There is, but to do it properly you need a stove plug and a distro.... you could always cheat the plug, but you will be blowing breakers

The easiest is to buy a second sub and amp. Just using a bigger amp will not give you that much more bass (maybe 3dB). Adding a second sub and amp will give you 6dB more bass plus a coupling effect.
Reece Duncan 3:30 PM - 9 April, 2010
The 5050 is the far better amp !
But a 5050 is about £1500+ & you could get a Crown Macrotech 5000vz used for 8 or £900, no competition.....You could almost get a Powersoft k6 for about the price of a qsc 5050 !
SELECT 3:35 PM - 9 April, 2010
Quote:

The easiest is to buy a second sub and amp. Just using a bigger amp will not give you that much more bass (maybe 3dB). Adding a second sub and amp will give you 6dB more bass plus a coupling effect.

Great advice! I love the SRX line, but now I realize they arent really meant for mobile use. Gonna do some research now...
DJ DisGrace 4:52 PM - 9 April, 2010
Quote:
you could get a Crown Macrotech 5000vz used for 8 or £900, no competition.....

this is amplifier requires a 30amp service... have u read any of this thread?
DJ DisGrace 4:54 PM - 9 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Great advice! I love the SRX line, but now I realize they arent really meant for mobile use. Gonna do some research now...

hope it helps! The SRX is great for mobile - light, powerful, and sounds great! But they are powerhungry.... maybe better for "mobile production" as opposed "mobile dj", but a great portable subwoofer.

Anytime you start setting up lots of speakers, power will always become an issue, regardless of the model of speaker
SELECT 6:13 PM - 9 April, 2010
Ok, I really dont wanna give up the SRX sub. I bring it up three flights of stairs by myself!

I think this is a 10.5amp plug, but I cant really tell. What do you guys think? Crown XTI 4000- www.crownaudio.com
DJ DisGrace 7:35 PM - 9 April, 2010
The XTI-4000 will be fine on a regular 15a circuit... but try to keep it on it's own circuit if at all possible!
SELECT 8:01 PM - 9 April, 2010
Good lookin out!! Im picking up the xti 4000 next week.
agentorange 10:56 PM - 11 April, 2010
Quote:
Good lookin out!! Im picking up the xti 4000 next week.

are you only using 1 srx? is this xti4000 for only 1 sub?
Dj Ace 4:28 AM - 12 April, 2010
Quote:

I have a 2 crown itech 6000 which do about 3000 watts per channel each into a four ohm load and I use them ALL the time with 15 amp and 20 amp circuits...I get more headroom with 20 amp circuits but it sounds fine on 15 amp as well...

Using 15 amps i monitor the current with a furman and make sure to plug each amp into its on circuits and maintain around 14 amps (by closely monitoring the volume)
Dj Ace 4:30 AM - 12 April, 2010
the furman I use is here
www.furmansound.com
Dj Ace 4:31 AM - 12 April, 2010
and use this to plug the conditioner to a 15 amp circuit: www.furmansound.com
Dj Ace 4:32 AM - 12 April, 2010
sorry ignore that post above here is the right link: www.google.com
DJ GaFFle 10:02 AM - 4 June, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

I have a 2 crown itech 6000 which do about 3000 watts per channel each into a four ohm load and I use them ALL the time with 15 amp and 20 amp circuits...I get more headroom with 20 amp circuits but it sounds fine on 15 amp as well...

Using 15 amps i monitor the current with a furman and make sure to plug each amp into its on circuits and maintain around 14 amps (by closely monitoring the volume)

THanx Ace. I've been debating getting a Crown Macrotech 9000i. I think it comes with a Nema 5-20 connector like the iTech 6000s. Don't/can't the peaks/bass hits in the song instantly take you over the 14 amp marked and trip the breaker? OR... are you not worried about the house breaker tripping because the Furman's breaker will trip 1st (unless the house's breaker is less at only 15 amps)?
Dj Ace 1:58 PM - 4 June, 2010
i never trip breakers...your right my furman gives me a readout of the output voltage and current, and even at say 10-12 amps the crown puts out A LOT of power just not its FULL potential (im estimating around 1500-2000 @4ohms per side) which is plenty for most speakers! But if you trying to use specs closer to the max rating at aound 3000-4000 per side your gonna need a 20 amp curcuit

The main point is the fact that you CAN use them effectively with even a 15 amp breaker, you just need to plug multiple amps into different outlets
DjStylz101 3:10 PM - 22 July, 2010
I currently have the jbl srx 728s subs 2 pairs of them and im using 2 crown xls 5000d amplifiers to run them. Yes this amp does need a 20A circut to operate @ full potential but with a 15A circut it works fine. never had a breaker trip out on me. Just use a dedicated circut to run it

I believe that the qsc rmx5050 is dual diversity. Meaning that it can work on both a 15A and a 20A circut while still putting out full potential. The diff i see between the amps is that and maybe the crown has more power potntial than the qsc.
DJ GaFFle 7:24 PM - 22 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

THanx Ace. I've been debating getting a Crown Macrotech 9000i. I think it comes with a Nema 5-20 connector like the iTech 6000s. Don't/can't the peaks/bass hits in the song instantly take you over the 14 amp marked and trip the breaker? OR... are you not worried about the house breaker tripping because the Furman's breaker will trip 1st (unless the house's breaker is less at only 15 amps)?

I ended up getting the Crown MA12000i. I've really only run it on a 20amp breaker so far (in party mode). I'm hesitant to run it on a 15amp circuit full tilt.
DARKWOLF 6:20 AM - 25 February, 2013
Well amp x volts equal watts. so at 15 amp you will never get all your power. my XLS 5000 ROCKS AT 15 AMP. I have never seen my clip lights in over a year, the problem is mobile Dj service. you don't know what your getting on the line or how many other is using that line. you also might get a peavey Kosmos it makes a big different in sound.
Levi purple 3:06 PM - 27 May, 2017
I want to set up a sound system with about 12 eminence 18 inch subs... 12 mid and Hf.. Can someone help me with the best choice.... I was thinking of kilomax with rmx 5050..is it possible to power 4 subs with one amp and what type of cabinet is recommended for the speakers.
Thaks
George TYRONE JR 12:03 AM - 2 September, 2017
I'm buying a QSC RMX 5050 POWER AMP TO POWER MY SUBWOOFERS...I HAVE FOUR FOLDED HORN CABINETS , I'M GOING TO RUN THEM AT 4OHMS ...WHICH IS 1800 WATTS PER CHANNEL... THAT WILL BE JUST ENOUGH BOTTOM END FOR ME. I FOUND ME A USED ONE IN MINT CONDITION FOR $ 1,000 DOLLARS. I HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH IT ALL..
George TYRONE JR 12:10 AM - 2 September, 2017
Quote:
I want to set up a sound system with about 12 eminence 18 inch subs... 12 mid and Hf.. Can someone help me with the best choice.... I was thinking of kilomax with rmx 5050..is it possible to power 4 subs with one amp and what type of cabinet is recommended for the speakers.
Thaks

Try using folded horn cabinets for your subwoofer. They are very large cabinets...
George TYRONE JR 1:51 AM - 19 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

I have a QSC RMX 505O i went to a hardware store like Menards or Home depot.. they had the adapter for my power cord..It works just fine too me.

service.pcconnection.com

George TYRONE JR 2:09 AM - 19 January, 2019
Hello.. D.J's this is my thought for today . I have two B-52 18"lx folded horn cabinets. My plan is to change my subwoofer on the inside of each cabinet. To 4ohm Faital Pro HP-1030 18'woofer 4ohm . I see alot of people on here like too play there subs at 4ohm . Why don't you change the woofer to 4ohm. It save alot of time on the guess work. My cabinets are tune 30hz-250 . I plan on installing my woofer in a week or so... i got a great deal on my woofers .$292 each woofer the suggested price $422. 1200 watts rms/ program 2400 watts. Will pushing my Qsc rmx 505O power amplifier at 1800 watts per with on problems.
George TYRONE JR 2:10 AM - 19 January, 2019
Hello.. D.J's this is my thought for today . I have two B-52 18"lx folded horn cabinets. My plan is to change my subwoofer on the inside of each cabinet. To 4ohm Faital Pro HP-1030 18'woofer 4ohm . I see alot of people on here like too play there subs at 4ohm . Why don't you change the woofer to 4ohm. It save alot of time on the guess work. My cabinets are tune 30hz-250 . I plan on installing my woofer in a week or so... i got a great deal on my woofers .$292 each woofer the suggested price $422. 1200 watts rms/ program 2400 watts. Will pushing my Qsc rmx 505O power amplifier at 1800 watts per with
No problems.
RR437T 5:34 PM - 19 January, 2019
Quote:
Hello.. D.J's this is my thought for today . I have two B-52 18"lx folded horn cabinets. My plan is to change my subwoofer on the inside of each cabinet. To 4ohm Faital Pro HP-1030 18'woofer 4ohm . I see alot of people on here like too play there subs at 4ohm . Why don't you change the woofer to 4ohm. It save alot of time on the guess work. My cabinets are tune 30hz-250 . I plan on installing my woofer in a week or so... i got a great deal on my woofers .$292 each woofer the suggested price $422. 1200 watts rms/ program 2400 watts. Will pushing my Qsc rmx 505O power amplifier at 1800 watts per with
No problems.

Unfortunately, audio equipment doesn't work like that. You may want to do some research on the relationship between resistance, frequency and power. I think you'll be surprised in how different reality is from marketing and common myths.
George TYRONE JR 6:19 PM - 19 January, 2019
Quote:
<div class="quote pl pr pt pb bg-l" readability="10">

No problems.

Unfortunately, audio equipment doesn't work like that. You may want to do some research on the relationship between resistance, frequency and power. I think you'll be surprised in how different reality is from marketing and common myths.
I Did my research on my cabinets.. I also talk with and audio buddy of mines...At Usspeaker.com he told my bass will be strong and tight with the woofers i'm putting in my cabinets... I
George TYRONE JR 6:22 PM - 19 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
<div class="quote pl pr pt pb bg-l" readability="10">

No problems.

I Did my research on my cabinets.. I also talk with and audio buddy of mines...At Usspeaker.com he told me my bass will be strong and tight with the woofers i'm putting in my cabinets...]
RR437T 8:21 PM - 19 January, 2019
Please don't take offense, but my statement still applies.

" I also talk with and audio buddy of mines...At Usspeaker.com he told me my bass will be strong and tight with the woofers i'm putting in my cabinets..."

It may be true that the combination of parts may work OK, but all the technical info you provided in your last post is wrong. Since there's more bad info out there than good, here's something to point you in the right direction.

www.gcaudio.com

If you want something a bit more technical, here's another good article.

www.prestonelectronics.com
George TYRONE JR 1:55 AM - 4 February, 2019
So what would you suggest that i could do? Well right now im try using my Crest Audio 8001 power amplifier at 4ohms it's sound really nice on my B-52's lx 18' folded horn cabinets. It has really strong bass too my cabinets. But not as much power as my Qsc rmx 505O power amplifier. If you know the specification of the Crest 8001 in 4ohm its 1200watts a side. The qsc rmx 505O power amplifier is rated at 1600 watts a side at 4ohm. Keep in mind that i'm using FATIAL Pro HP-1030 18'woofer 4ohm 1200watts at 4ohm. Just want too see your comments. On what i'm trying too do here . Thanks for your advice. D.J.G-BIZZLE .
George TYRONE JR 2:47 PM - 4 February, 2019
I change the woofers in both cabinets... The bass is deep like i wanted... FATIAL Pro Hp -1030 4ohm are some very good woofers.