DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

To Macbook Pro or not?

DJ_Phenom 2:11 AM - 2 April, 2010
I "know" someone who is selling a NIB Macbook Pro 13 in base model(2.26ghz dual core, 2 gb ddr3 ram, 160gb hd), since we are friends he'll sell it to me for 800, retail is 1200. This is gonna put me pretty close to broke for a week or so, but I feel like this is pretty close to a deal that is too good to pass up. Is it?
BriChi 2:17 AM - 2 April, 2010
I would get it if I were you
DJ Fez 2:26 AM - 2 April, 2010
in my opinion...and I dont know what you have now or how functional it is..but

HD is too small, unless you only use an external for music

2gb ram is really not enough for much these days... unless you upgrade it yourself, easy and relatively cheap to do though

and of course everyone is awaiting the new macbook pro which everyone says is coming out soon, but of course it may be in June
the_black_one 2:33 AM - 2 April, 2010
do it homie!!!
the_black_one 2:33 AM - 2 April, 2010
you can up grade both ram and HD for cheap!
BriChi 2:40 AM - 2 April, 2010
yup, for $200 or less on top of the $800 you can throw 4gb of ram and 500gb+ drive and it's still $200 cheaper then the Apple store
DJ_Phenom 2:45 AM - 2 April, 2010
yeah I plan on upgrading the ram immediately, and as of now I mostly use an external w/ firewire. I think it will be worth the ramen for a week lol
DJ Dub Cowboy 4:06 AM - 2 April, 2010
good deal
DJ Fez 4:37 AM - 2 April, 2010
ah good call fellas, upgrading ram and HD is very cheap, but then again this is a new comp and i'm pretty sure that would automatically void your warranty with apple....which is why i guess i was subconsciously hesitant to suggest he buy it
the_black_one 4:38 AM - 2 April, 2010
Quote:
ah good call fellas, upgrading ram and HD is very cheap, but then again this is a new comp and i'm pretty sure that would automatically void your warranty with apple....which is why i guess i was subconsciously hesitant to suggest he buy it

just save the old HD and the old ram. If you have any issues just install it back and take it to the store!
DJ Fez 4:40 AM - 2 April, 2010
they will never be suspicious of a hard drive with absolutely no files on it? i have found they are usually very picky...aka how could you say you have an issue when it does not appear to have ever been used...
Doctorjon 4:40 AM - 2 April, 2010
Well how do we know this laptop has AppleCare? If it doesn't than upgrading wouldn't do anything. The deal is good, but yes the hard drive is small. What kind of laptop are you using now DJ_Phenom?
DJ Fez 4:41 AM - 2 April, 2010
applecare is 3 yr...but if its brand new it still has a 1yr warranty
Doctorjon 4:46 AM - 2 April, 2010
Lol nvm, i was thinking about something else. I was kinda confused when we got my girlfriends macbook pro but we got applecare with it right away.
DJ_Phenom 4:49 AM - 2 April, 2010
I have a 2yr old toshiba satellite with 1.8ghz AMD turion dual core, 4gb ddr2 ram, 200gb HD. The MBP has 2gb but its ddr3 and as of now I'm only doing audio. As far as voiding the warranty, I believe the HD would, but I looked it up and the ram can be upgraded without voiding it. As it will not be purchased from the apple store, I would only have the standard 1yr warranty. I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it just trying to make sure my money is in order
the_black_one 4:52 AM - 2 April, 2010
dude just buy the fucking thing and be happy you got it for cheap! you wont regret it. a
Doctorjon 4:55 AM - 2 April, 2010
Exactly! We paid over $2000 brand new for my girls 15 inch with a 320 gig hard drive and 4 gig ram. Your gonna be saving so much after upgrading it.
DJ Fez 5:01 AM - 2 April, 2010
yeah buy it for sure...it will be good compared to what you've you once you upgrade the ram. maybe just talk to the guy and say thats less ram then you currently have and it will cost $xx to buy upgrade ram, see if he'll knock it down to $750. its the economy, theres always wiggle room
Doctorjon 5:08 AM - 2 April, 2010
You know whats funny i just typed in macbook on craigslist and a 13in macbook pro came up for 800. Whats funny is that i also live in texas, but this is in Fort Worth. Also this macbook is broken they spilled syrup on the keyboard or something.
DJ_Phenom 5:10 AM - 2 April, 2010
lol, no I know this guy. Let's just say him and his friends have their hands in alot of pots...
Doctorjon 5:12 AM - 2 April, 2010
I was about to say because he is probably gonna rip you off if you didn't really know know him. Lol.
DJ_Phenom 5:16 AM - 2 April, 2010
Nah, were pretty good friends
BriChi 12:06 PM - 2 April, 2010
Replacing the ram and HD is user replaceable, it doesn't void the warranty on the unibody models, I have replaceD both and the brought it in for a keyboard repair and no questions asked.
DJ'Que 4:58 PM - 2 April, 2010
Quote:
lol, no I know this guy. Let's just say him and his friends have their hands in alot of pots...
so its hotsauce. applecare dont work. then. neither will taking it to a applestore. if thats the case tell him its worth $500. as I was go buy a hotsauce for $400 and it was a 17". I also almost got one for $300 at the pawnshop, but I thought he was getting a loan on it. but the pawnshop brought it and 2 weeks later found out it was stolen. how stupid was they. i even told them it was. who sell a brand new 17" for $225 and its not hotsauce. funny thing is I know the owner and when I told him he fired the guy anyway cuz he dont buy hot laptops that he know's go for more.whats funny to me is when you take something in their to get a loan the look on cl and ebay at he didnt look and see that 17" macbook pro were going for $1500+ all day.
BERTO 5:03 PM - 2 April, 2010
for that price i would do it and upgrade ram no big deal
DJ_Phenom 12:07 AM - 3 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
so its hotsauce. applecare dont work. then. neither will taking it to a applestore. if thats the case tell him its worth $500. as I was go buy a hotsauce for $400 and it was a 17". I also almost got one for $300 at the pawnshop, but I thought he was getting a loan on it. but the pawnshop brought it and 2 weeks later found out it was stolen. how stupid was they. i even told them it was. who sell a brand new 17" for $225 and its not hotsauce. funny thing is I know the owner and when I told him he fired the guy anyway cuz he dont buy hot laptops that he know's go for more.whats funny to me is when you take something in their to get a loan the look on cl and ebay at he didnt look and see that 17" macbook pro were going for $1500+ all day.

Not neccesarily stolen, I said they deal in alot of stuff I never said it was stolen. Regardless I wouldnt buy an applecare plan anyway.
DJ DennisJ 12:29 AM - 3 April, 2010
Upgrade RAM but not hdd if the 13" MB Pros are like their non-pro counterparts. In the past the 13" were slimmer height-wise than 15" and their casing required very thin hdds. You may be able to get a 500gb in there if you were very particular with the model of hdd, but most 500gbs won't even fit, and forget 750/880/1TB, there's no way.
Dj No Name 7:07 AM - 3 April, 2010
Am in the uk and prior to me upgrading my ram and hard drive I called apple, they said it would NOT void my applecare
djbanno 11:37 AM - 3 April, 2010
buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
snap it, work it, " quick ", erase it,
drag it, drop it, zip, unzip it...
technologic
www.dothedaft.com
macnologic