DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What laptop are you using? Looking to buy a new one.

Djaward 8:00 PM - 30 March, 2010
i have a sony VAIO and I want a new laptop. I cant go back to sony because they're running windows 7 now. Serato doesnt support that at the moment. So what are you guys using?
DjLouSince82 8:13 PM - 30 March, 2010
POS dell insipiron..keeps crashing..im about to buy a new macbook pro but from rumors theres supposed to be new MBP coming out soon..anyone know when..im sick of waiting..i got gigs lined up and i just dont want to risk it anymore. should i just buy a MBP now or wait?
RogerRabbit 8:18 PM - 30 March, 2010
Let me predicit your thread for you:

1. Buy a mac, pc's suck(20x times)
2. Pc's are fine,I have no problems with them(10x times)
3. I have both mac and pcs, both work fine. Use whatever works for ya.(3x times)
Djaward 8:21 PM - 30 March, 2010
Quote:

3. I have both mac and pcs, both work fine. Use whatever works for ya.(3x times)

HAHAHA.. Yeah I can see all MAC FANBOYS coming in and talking smack. BUt damm $2200 for a laptop??? Is it really worth it? Im hoping the 2.0 will be able to run properly on WINDOWS 7. I've had my VAIO for 3 years and have had ZERO problems.
RogerRabbit 8:39 PM - 30 March, 2010
Windows 7 works fine with ssl even though it is not offically supported.
C. William 8:40 PM - 30 March, 2010
Quote:

truth
djogb 9:09 PM - 30 March, 2010
Go for another Sony VAIO with XP or Vista. Deploy the virtual XP bundled with Windows 7 if not comfortable running SL on Win 7. Step it down to XP or Vista as extreme measure. I use Sony VAIO running Vista and have never had a single issue. Will buy another Sony VAIO when it's time to upgrade. While not dissing guys here using MAC; I think you Mac-guys go overboard to recruit PC aficionados. I don't care about your MAC. Leave my PC alone. I love them. Saves me a bundle and runs faster. On Scratch Live 2.0 public BETA/Release Candidates, count the number of bug finds on MACs from 20035 to XXX47. You do the math.
Dj Mike P. 10:07 PM - 30 March, 2010
I got a new Sony Vaio, working perfect with Scratch Live. Windows 7, i5, 4gb ram, 500gb hd. I say go for it.
Djaward 10:24 PM - 30 March, 2010
Quote:
I got a new Sony Vaio, working perfect with Scratch Live. Windows 7, i5, 4gb ram, 500gb hd. I say go for it.

This is exactly what I want. I want to stay on the 15 inch screen too. 13 inch screen is small. Especially with the 57 program.
ninos 2:02 AM - 31 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

HAHAHA.. Yeah I can see all MAC FANBOYS coming in and talking smack. BUt damm $2200 for a laptop??? Is it really worth it? Im hoping the 2.0 will be able to run properly on WINDOWS 7. I've had my VAIO for 3 years and have had ZERO problems.

the 2500 i spent on mine was TOTALY worth, im never scared to gig with my MBP.
RogerRabbit 2:24 AM - 31 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

the 2500 i spent on mine was TOTALY worth, im never scared to gig with my MBP.

I am never scared to gig on my $500 dollar pc.. Shit you could have saved that $2000 for a new 68.
The Return of Dj Sparky 3:45 PM - 31 March, 2010
I use a HP g61,
1.9Ghz core duo,
3gb of ram,

windows 7 64 bit, get a lot of dropouts at mimimum latency, few odd ones on 2, drop outs going instant doubles,

windows xp 32 bit, runs well at max settings, the odd dropout on max settings and on instant doubles,

I ran the DPC latency checker and do have it running along side serato when i get drop outs but thats running like a trooper even though serato is getting drop outs, wireless is off, all tweaks applied that I could find online, can t explain it, think i'll be going mac myself soon,

had a dell 1525 prior to this with worse performance :(
latindj 3:49 PM - 31 March, 2010
I use both pc and now mac. honestly, I haven't touched the pc since I got my mac a little over a year ago...
SMOKE DOGG BITCH 6:50 PM - 31 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

yes its worth it
Dj No Name 7:19 PM - 31 March, 2010
Quote:
I use both pc and now mac. honestly, I haven't touched the pc since I got my mac a little over a year ago...

+1

I only got the mac for ableton and serato but since having it i use it for everything and my pc just collects dust. I would never buy another pc.
dj shadow from detroit 9:15 PM - 31 March, 2010
i like having both.i use the 13 macbook for gigs and pc for back ups and other stuff.the pc runs just as good as the macbook.but i like the macbook for scratching its tighter in response.but the pc - dell has a 17inch screen and visually it is never choppy.the macbook is choppy (( its a a issue with certain macbooks )) and mine has it.
also my make which is a early 2009 white macbook has firewire and 2 usb.
the new white macbook doesn't come with firewire,which is ridiculous to me.
i use a firewire external i take to much music with me all the time to use a internal.i rather leave the internal free of space because the macbook runs so much more smoother with open headroom on the internal.

i would buy a macbook pro for video.but for just serato way too much for the upper models.the new 13inch macbook pros look nice.

Precision aluminum unibody

Up to 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

13.3-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display

Multi-Touch trackpad

2.26GHz, 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor

2GB or 4GB memory

160GB or 250GB 5400-rpm hard drive

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor

MagSafe power port

Two USB 2.0 ports

One FireWire 800 port

Mini DisplayPort

iSight camera

Full-size, backlit keyboard

SD card slot

SuperDrive

when i purchased mine it was around $1,100 or so with a 4gig upgrade i wanted

i suggest buying the ram from them and have them install it for applecare reasons.also alot of these different ram companies arent compatible with apple sometimes. ( save you a headache )

hope this helps
SuckaDJ 9:24 PM - 31 March, 2010
2500?!?! ninos, crazy 15 yr old! :P

Quote:

+1
then frost 9 comes in and talks smack to the mac fanboys... here we go again..
Djaward 9:32 PM - 31 March, 2010
I would hate to downgrade my screen size. Thats the only thing stopping me from buying a mac. I would like a 15 inch and thats that.. ANYONE ON HERE WORK AT APPLE OR HAS A HOOK UP?
DjLouSince82 9:37 PM - 31 March, 2010
cheapest apple macbook pro is going for 1700+ tax... about 1800 something..i just checked..im about to drop the cash but im hearing rumors the new MBP are coming out soon..i hate to wait.
DjLouSince82 9:38 PM - 31 March, 2010
oops i meant cheapest 15inch screen MBP
latindj 10:06 PM - 31 March, 2010
New MB due out any time....scoop up the previous model for mucho savings when that happens....that's what I did....
Maskrider 10:16 PM - 31 March, 2010
I'm not a fan of Mac but I'll say this if you want lower Latency go with Mac and the way things are going right now With SL 2.0 and Bridge coming out I'll start saving for it.
Stakato 11:12 PM - 31 March, 2010
I think the mac is a great machine with good components but i dont like apples total proprietary business model. People say its more stable or something? I only have problems with pc when i get infection, then i just re-install the operating system in 1 hour. With PC you can do much more, actually you can do anything you want. It is so easy to change all the insides of the computer too. People who use macs are willing to pay more for less. Less freedom at least.

some company should make specialized audiophile and production laptops.

I basically boycott apple products.