Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Recording Live Video Mixes

Dj Mav 9:19 PM - 28 March, 2010
What program can I use to record live video mixes? I looked at DVD recorders but they all have AV inputs and not HD. Suggestions?
eder 10:01 PM - 28 March, 2010
MixEmergency
lvmez 12:52 AM - 29 March, 2010
screenflow for mac
DJ AO 7:33 PM - 29 March, 2010
ishowu HD, works pretty well if your computer can handle running the vsl & this program. records the video and audio.
eder 9:59 PM - 29 March, 2010
if you're spinning live, ME is the only way to go if you can't afford your computer slowing down and shit haha.
a-swift 12:54 AM - 30 March, 2010
any HD recorder is going to cost a LOT more than what you'd be willing to spend. trust me, I have a few. the best high quality low cost option will be ME.
Dj Mav 8:29 PM - 30 May, 2010
Does ME capture video as well as audio
a-swift 8:45 PM - 30 May, 2010
Quote:
Does ME capture video as well as audio

it actually doesn't "capture" anything. it records your session actions and then renders the mix using the source video files later. but yes it does audio and video.
DJ-Phat-AL 9:56 PM - 30 May, 2010
Quote:
it actually doesn't "capture" anything. it records your session actions and then renders the mix using the source video files later. but yes it does audio and video.

Sooo... does that mean if you record your night at a club you have to wait for it to render at the end of the night with your drive still plugged in with all the source files? How long does that take? And does it record VSL actions as well?
djdaddydog 1:05 AM - 31 May, 2010
it's better to render after you get home and do it while you sleep. in the morning you can peep your rendered file. i think ME only records ME output not the VSL output. but i might be wrong.
djpuma_gemini 4:35 AM - 31 May, 2010
Take a look at this.

www.djpumaproductions.com

Mixed with serato and ME and recorded with ME.

rendering took several hours. It exports to mov and I edited with vegas and rendered to mp4 with sorenson squeeze.

@phat-al
ME and vsl cannot run together or I wouldn't recommend it. You mix with ME (transitions) and vsl is not running only serato.
DJ-Phat-AL 5:24 AM - 31 May, 2010
So if you were using VSL then record with screenflow and obviously when you mix with ME then use ME to record... but expect a long export process...
djpuma_gemini 6:33 AM - 31 May, 2010
yeah. I recorded a 4 hour set once and gave up because it would have taken forever.

If you do record full sets i recommend stopping and starting the process every hour.

It would be nice if me would let you choose when to start and stop the export process
DJ AO 7:49 PM - 31 May, 2010
Just tried another option to record video/audio on the same mac as mixing video.
And it's FREE...already on your computer....! And yes i just remembered that i could do this... so lay off the newbie comments... lol

Got a MBP 13" 2.26 Ghz intel core 2 duo, 4gb - 320gb HD late (dec 2009) and used quicktime (the one thats already on the computer) - new screen recording -

didn't find a way to capture second monitor (maybe this is an option in the paid/full version)

so i put serato/vsl on my 2nd output monitor and the (full screen) video on the main mbp screen did the screen capture, at med quality, audio had no real choices except mic/input.
hit the record button and did a lil quick mix.. outcome was quite pleasing.

Only down fall i seen was that the bar that displays like; (apple symbol) Safari - file - edit - view - history ----etc was still visible....there might be a way to do away with it... i don't know...

So if you haven't tried it because your waiting to spend some cash on some other program. i suggest you give this one a try first. quality is pretty decent.

on the serato end i was running the video at medium quality/and vid buffer at 2gb...
this was the best result for video capture on my computer...

will post a video later today ...
DJ AO 9:56 PM - 31 May, 2010
OKAY, so i uploaded the mix to youtube. The weird thing is i don't see the bar at the top like when i watch it in quicktime.. here is the video, so you can check out the quality.

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ AO 9:59 PM - 31 May, 2010
Quote:
OKAY, so i uploaded the mix to youtube. The weird thing is i don't see the bar at the top like when i watch it in quicktime.. here is the video, so you can check out the quality.

Watchwww.youtube.com

never mind... in the little preview box you can see it... but when you go fullscreen it's there... guess i'll take it to an editing program like final cut and stretch it out or crop it
DJ AO 10:00 PM - 31 May, 2010

never mind... in the little preview box you can see it... but when you go fullscreen it's there... guess i'll take it to an editing program like final cut and stretch it out or crop it

i meant can't...

and i'm just gonna have a conversation with myself here...right now...lol
DJ DisGrace 2:55 PM - 1 June, 2010
Quote:
Just tried another option to record video/audio on the same mac as mixing video.
And it's FREE...already on your computer....! And yes i just remembered that i could do this... so lay off the newbie comments... lol

Got a MBP 13" 2.26 Ghz intel core 2 duo, 4gb - 320gb HD late (dec 2009) and used quicktime (the one thats already on the computer) - new screen recording -

didn't find a way to capture second monitor (maybe this is an option in the paid/full version)

so i put serato/vsl on my 2nd output monitor and the (full screen) video on the main mbp screen did the screen capture, at med quality, audio had no real choices except mic/input.
hit the record button and did a lil quick mix.. outcome was quite pleasing.

Only down fall i seen was that the bar that displays like; (apple symbol) Safari - file - edit - view - history ----etc was still visible....there might be a way to do away with it... i don't know...

So if you haven't tried it because your waiting to spend some cash on some other program. i suggest you give this one a try first. quality is pretty decent.

on the serato end i was running the video at medium quality/and vid buffer at 2gb...
this was the best result for video capture on my computer...

will post a video later today ...

seemed too god to be true....

www.sampletheweb.com

"I’ve not recorded a full show yet, but I have tested this method and it works. Keep in mind that the screen capture isn’t at a full 29.97 frames per second as most video; it’s only recording about eight frames per second, so the video isn’t the smoothest quality and there is some noticable jitter in extremely high action moments of video (like the 30 seconds or so of ABC’s Crash Course that I used to test). It’s not unwatchable, however, especially if you’re exporting it for watching on a small screen like the iPhone’s."

good looking out tho AO
DJ MDX 4:22 PM - 1 June, 2010
I was in this same boat trying to figure all of this out since I my goal is to be 100% video by the last quarter of 2010.

I strongly reccommend ME for this. Here is a simple test I did. The original export's quality is even better than this example but it is almost 2Gigs and too large to host at most places. Customer support is awesome as well.

Anyway here is my test below..... This is just a test, if this were an actual...

www.vjalbbad.com
djpuma_gemini 6:17 PM - 1 June, 2010
Glad to see you got it all working MDX. don't forget to load all the new plugins they release.
DJ MDX 6:47 PM - 1 June, 2010
@djpuma - yeah thanks to your advice ;-)

Weekly Plugins - thats yet another added reason, I almost forgot that.

I still have a lot of learning to do so I will call on you again in the near future for assistance - thanks again for all your insight.
Funkytownstopsix 6:49 PM - 1 June, 2010
My 2 Cents

ME....
Pro's.... Since not recording video no strain, recording actual actions and not second screen makes for better results. With Me your not just getting a recorder your also getting better Image and text overlays with it with much better EFX then VSL.

Con's Price... $179 (but not really a con for what you get) You have to have a hardrive on while converting unless recorded on internal drive, also if you move any of your flies and go back to export ( I KNOW YOU GOT A COPY OF THE DVD). then what do you do? :( put the file back : )

Screenflow.

Pro's Price $99 It's like a mini version of Final Cut Pro has a time line and you can trim and edit your video right on the spot in the program., it works well with IDVD as far as Chapter Markers which you can add in Screenflow and yes you can name the markers, can add titles and subtitles, dj logos and even other movies into your mix before exporting and place them anywhere on the screen...less time exporting, unless recording to external you don't need to leave the drive on. Since it saves the mix you don't have to worry if your moved the files around cause you have a complete recording on your drive of which you can put anywhere for later use. Last I have a Marvin Gaye DVD where I can play the acapella but can't rip them weird since I am king ripper I tried for a week then finally I just used Screenflow as it records whatever screen you choose. Talk about helpful....

Con's. Not best quailty because recording second screen there will be some generational loss from that alone ,not to mention how the output screen is setup could be darker brighter ect ect. Does not have all the extra Perks that ME has... Can slow down you mac.... I have no issue with lag but some do and because it is recording the mix live your Mac will heat up so keep that smc fan control on....
a-swift 6:50 PM - 1 June, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Sooo... does that mean if you record your night at a club you have to wait for it to render at the end of the night with your drive still plugged in with all the source files? How long does that take? And does it record VSL actions as well?

Yeah, you wouldn't render at the end of the set. Do weeknight and let it run until it's done.

My computer would take 2-3 days to render a full set using Quicktime encoders. This is why I frequently bypass Quicktime encoders, export to uncompressed and use a faster encoder, like ffmpeg.
DJ MDX 8:16 PM - 1 June, 2010
Quote:
...This is why I....export to uncompressed and use a faster encoder, like ffmpeg.

lol I was just thinking that same thing...hmmm care to share those settings?
djpuma_gemini 8:21 PM - 1 June, 2010
That is what I need to do I exported to mov and it took forever.
DJ MDX 8:23 PM - 1 June, 2010
Quote:
My 2 Cents
ME...
Con's Price...also if you move any of your flies and go back to export ( I KNOW YOU GOT A COPY OF THE DVD). then what do you do? :( put the file back : )....

If I understood that correctly, I am not sure why you would do multiple exports. Here is a suggestion or what I have/plan on doing.
• Export the 1st time at the best possible setting (uncompressed)
• Take the uncompressed format and save internal
• Whenever you need any other format use the saved uncompressed format

I hope that makses sense - If I am incorrect please educate me.
djpuma_gemini 8:59 PM - 1 June, 2010
I think he means if you go record set on Saturday and on Sunday decide to reorganize your crates/folders and move a video or all of them, it won't work, so you need to export before you do anything major to your files. I haven't tried to edit tags and see if that affects the export, but moving them definitely does.
DJ MDX 9:21 PM - 1 June, 2010
ah.... I C said the cat....
Funkytownstopsix 1:42 AM - 2 June, 2010
Quote:
I think he means if you go record set on Saturday and on Sunday decide to reorganize your crates/folders and move a video or all of them, it won't work, so you need to export before you do anything major to your files. I haven't tried to edit tags and see if that affects the export, but moving them definitely does.

Correct... yet if you save your mix before you go to bed then you always have it no matter what you do... except if it's on a drive thats bad. just easier to make a dvd of it than to have it store up space.
djnak 3:02 AM - 2 June, 2010
Quote:
yeah. I recorded a 4 hour set once and gave up because it would have taken forever.

If you do record full sets i recommend stopping and starting the process every hour.

It would be nice if me would let you choose when to start and stop the export process

I record whole sets all the time with screenflow, but ill just save it when im done playin and render it when I get home....
Funkytownstopsix 6:00 AM - 2 June, 2010
Here's quick mix I did tonight recorded with ScreenFlow vdjbig.com dont clown me just an example..
lvmez 12:58 PM - 2 June, 2010
what settings did you use to export?
Funkytownstopsix 1:14 PM - 2 June, 2010
Quote:
what settings did you use to export?

I use custom settings depending on what I want to do. If I recall it was H2.64 and the only thing I changed was the data rate 2.20 which made the file lager. I think it streams well even at that rate. How did it look to you Ivmez?
DJ MDX 1:15 PM - 2 June, 2010
@Funkytownstopsix nice test set - really enjoyed that biggie mash up. I noticed some pixelation & horizontal lines in some places - not sure if it is my work computer or not - they are really old - hell, IE crashed right after Rick James showed his back at the end...lol

I noticed yours was a flash vid - would you mind chiming in on this thread: www.serato.com

btw - thanks for sharing.
Funkytownstopsix 1:23 PM - 2 June, 2010
Now some of the pixlation & horzontal are from the vids themselves that were made I , have no control over that. I will check out your link...
lvmez 5:43 PM - 2 June, 2010
i use screenflow as well. when i post on the web i use "web high". it looks fine, but your sample looked better.
Funkytownstopsix 5:47 PM - 2 June, 2010
its web high... just changed the bit rate.. slower internet connections might not be happy with it. I wonder too do you have unibody as I pre unibody, I was wondering if that made a diffrence as well.
lvmez 5:48 PM - 2 June, 2010
unibody. i'll send you acopy of mine.
Dj Ace 6:41 AM - 4 June, 2010
where did you get the superbad vid?
a-swift 4:27 PM - 4 June, 2010
Quote:

pretty sure best buy or walmart has it
Dj Ace 5:40 AM - 5 June, 2010
under the custom video edit section?
Dj Ace 5:42 AM - 5 June, 2010
i was very serious....i thought maybe it was a strictlyhits.com video...or maybe a yourremix.com or something like that...if it was custom jeez just say its my own edit...thn i can give you props on a job well done
Dj Ace 5:42 AM - 5 June, 2010
not a scavenger swift
Funkytownstopsix 8:06 PM - 5 June, 2010
is that question for me... I made no edits in that mix and choose not to tell who made them :) makes me feel speical if I have sometin everybody eles don't have... Don't hate d player hate the game :)uuuu
Dj Ace 7:19 AM - 6 June, 2010
it was a-swifts sarcastic comment not yours...i had mad respect for him
Funkytownstopsix 3:24 PM - 6 June, 2010
Swift was just jokin... You do know that if you didn't want to do an edit that guys like A-Swift ,Millz even that dickhead EYE would do it for you might be a small fee but they would.. That's one way to get special edits.
Dj Ace 8:06 PM - 6 June, 2010
ok ic he was kidding...I would not mind paying because I respect the visually creative talent and knowledge (especially since I lack it) I really did like the way the one in your video mix was done off the chain
Dj Ace 8:07 PM - 6 June, 2010
also your video mix was well put together also
eder 9:16 PM - 6 June, 2010
Quote:

You know it says on the VIDEO in the intro where he got it from, right?
djpuma_gemini 9:35 PM - 6 June, 2010
walmart?
Dj Ace 9:56 PM - 6 June, 2010
i noticed it last time
Dj Ace 9:57 PM - 6 June, 2010
i watched it eder...thanks tho
Dj Ace 11:27 PM - 6 June, 2010
"I watched it earlier"...thanks tho

I just finished downloading it
Funkytownstopsix 4:50 AM - 7 June, 2010
LOL and I thought you were being funny DJ Ace.... It did say plain as day where I got that one from...
Quote:
also your video mix was well put together also
Why thanks,,,, would have been even better had I pre mixed the vids, it was all on the fly didn't know the vids to well. It was to be like a 5 min mix... see how that worked out.
a-swift 4:26 PM - 7 June, 2010
Wait, what? What did I say that was sarcastic?
Funkytownstopsix 6:56 PM - 7 June, 2010
damn both of you are slow..... : )
djpuma_gemini 11:11 PM - 7 June, 2010
Quote:
Wait, what? What did I say that was sarcastic?

best buy or walmart for superbad video
Funkytownstopsix 4:14 AM - 8 June, 2010
it's true :) you can get from there...