DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

People who have a Korg padKontrol or Nanopad...

Dj-Pyro 3:29 AM - 26 March, 2010
How many people here have had a pad stop responding? I have a padKontrol and one of my pads died on me, then the lights started to go out. I used it lightly for 5-6 months. Before that I didn't use it for a year, so its out of warranty. I called my local authorized repair place and they said the cost to repair it would be the same as a new unit. So basically after using it lightly for 5-6 months I have to buy a new unit. Not so happy right now. I checked out some Korg forums and it looks like people are having issues with their nanopads.
RogerRabbit 3:44 AM - 26 March, 2010
Two pad on my nanapad stopped working after two months. It has now found a place in my kids toy-box.
djbanno 3:51 AM - 26 March, 2010
Buy a Akai LPD8, way better quality for same price...
DJMark 4:28 AM - 26 March, 2010
Quote:
How many people here have had a pad stop responding?

That, and the problem of those units apparently sending out streams of "garbage" data that sometimes confuses applications (like SSL), was enough for me to give up on using the Nanopad.

I second the Akai recommendation. I have one of those and it's been trouble-free.
frost-9 11:18 AM - 26 March, 2010
Mine got.. "crushed" if that makes any sense. I shoved it in my dj bag carelessly and the pads kinda flattened. I called up Korg, and I was under warranty, so they sent me out a new one right away. I haven't used the Akai, but if this thing breaks on me again I may check it out. My only real complaint is it's a pain in the ass to see the black colored model in the dark.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:24 PM - 26 March, 2010
mine stopped responding after about a month
BERTO 2:44 PM - 26 March, 2010
mine hasn't had a problem its a year old but i also want the lpd8
DouggyFresh 4:44 PM - 26 March, 2010
I had an issue on my Nanopad where once in a while it would fire off another pad for no reason... So like if I pushed cue point 3 on deck 2, cue point 1 on deck 1 might go off... I'm not sure if I need to set the sensitivity or something. I noticed random songs seemed to have unusual hot cues set after using it.. So its sitting in the bottom of my laptop bag.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:38 PM - 26 March, 2010
Quote:
I had an issue on my Nanopad where once in a while it would fire off another pad for no reason... So like if I pushed cue point 3 on deck 2, cue point 1 on deck 1 might go off... I'm not sure if I need to set the sensitivity or something. I noticed random songs seemed to have unusual hot cues set after using it.. So its sitting in the bottom of my laptop bag.

thats what mine was doing before it stopped working completkley
Wazo 5:50 PM - 26 March, 2010
i have a nano pad, a year now almost, use all the time. perfect. no probs at all
DouggyFresh 5:54 PM - 26 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

thats what mine was doing before it stopped working completkley

I've used it exactly 3 times from brand new.
uno seis 8:10 PM - 26 March, 2010
Quote:
i have a nano pad, a year now almost, use all the time. perfect. no probs at all

me too
slimmjimm 2:45 AM - 27 March, 2010
Have a nano pad, used it for a bit no probs. Just broke it out last week and a pad is giving problems.

I guess they don't like to be stored?
ZESH! 5:54 AM - 27 March, 2010
Quote:
How many people here have had a pad stop responding?

**Raises Hand**
NanoPad < Piece of shit!
Baum 11:38 PM - 11 April, 2010
It worked fine for a year or so. Then one pad stopped responding, three months later another one. I guess its only a small technical problem.

Did anybody try to fix it?
asthmatic 12:53 AM - 12 April, 2010
Small technical problem? the pad is the main component of the nanopad. Mine crapped out within a few weeks. I had mine replaced just so i can sell it when i got it back. I ended up buying from akai, which have a built history of touch pad products. I'm also glad my NI Kontrol x1 has high quality pads too. For the price, the akai LDP8 is awesome
Joshua Carl 1:00 AM - 12 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

me too

+1
carried in a dj bag, banged around 2-3 gigs a week.
Dj-Pyro 1:40 AM - 12 April, 2010
I took mine apart and couldn't see anything visibly wrong with it. I tried to rotate my pads but the problem is with the pcb. I think Korg just has a shoddy manufacturing plant with a bad QA department.
DJ Unique 3:20 AM - 12 April, 2010
Half of the pads on my NanoPad stopped working in less than a month.
RogerRabbit 3:43 PM - 12 April, 2010
We can sum up the nanapad as a fail because the number of folks here who report defective units vastly outnumber those who those who report working ones.
whowe 5:40 PM - 12 April, 2010
My nanoPad stopped working. Opened up a support case with Korg and they sent me a new one in about a week. Still have the broken one as well. New one has been working great for about 9 months now.
Joshua Carl 7:00 PM - 12 April, 2010
out of the people i know PERSONALLY, who use them (which is about a dozen)
they all still work fine (as far as i know)

there seems to be a fair amount of people here with faulty ones.

its probably a 80/20 (working/not working) odds...
its plastic
its inexpensive.
totally worth getting a protection plan for.

but like I said... im going on 18 months with mine. (a pad, and a kontrol)
and it works great still...I even dropped mine down a flight of stairs.
djfrequency 7:40 PM - 12 April, 2010
had mine for almost a year works great
ntmoney 8:06 PM - 12 April, 2010
My first nanopad broke and KORG replaced it even though I didnt buy a warranty and I had it for about 9 months. Sent them an e-mail...bug the shit out of them...and they will more than likely send u a new one free of charge.
Marc Paraiso 5:53 PM - 8 February, 2014
Got one back in 2008 and died shortly after a year. Having it fixed is close to nil. Looking forward to get another similar controller but definitely not a Korg. A friend also had a similar experience. Truly a waste of money.
DJ Reflex 6:01 PM - 8 February, 2014
I know it's an old thread, but my Korg nanoKONTROL2 gets used every weekend for over two years and it still holds up. Granted, I only activate lighting cues with it - I'm not using it to rapidly triggering cue points like a Dicer... but it works.

Watch, it'll crap out this weekend.
blackavenger 5:46 AM - 10 February, 2014
I still have my release issue nanoPAD & nanoKONTROL (the white/blue ones)......they both still work perfectly. IDK, maybe the first batch were made really well or sumpin?