DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Your Opinion on "Platinum Notes"

Dj.Mojo 8:14 AM - 24 March, 2010
Hi Everybody,

I have just received an Email about Platinum Notes 3 being released. It got me somehow curious about the program.
I checked out the webpage and only found claims like "It will make your songs acoustically perfect".
Of course I want the best sounding files but I am not sure if it is worth the money.
I am kind of scared it will all sound like funkymixes with enhanced basslines and obnoxious snares/hi hats.
Will it furthermore corrupt Whitelabel files?

What are your experiences?

Thanks for the input!

www.platinumnotes.com
ninos 1:30 PM - 24 March, 2010
looks pretty cool,
Dj.Mojo 1:32 PM - 24 March, 2010
I know but it could also be just a bunch of marketing blablabla
ninos 1:34 PM - 24 March, 2010
lmao no doubt, it would be cool to try tho, get a limewire file (somerthing shitty) then see if comes out to be a file from a record pool or someshit lol
The Return of Dj Sparky 1:35 PM - 24 March, 2010
I use their mixed in key software, would also like to know if platuinum notes is any good
Dj.Mojo 1:35 PM - 24 March, 2010
Unfortunately there is no trial version. Only that one "example", which does not proove me jack!
ninos 1:37 PM - 24 March, 2010
DAMN, its 100$ lol fuck that. i need money to keep paying for djcity. hahaha
Dj.Mojo 1:40 PM - 24 March, 2010
Just imagine, with Platinum notes you can just cancel all your pools, download from Limewire and then pimp your files! :-P

I would use it for low quality vinyl rips mostly and for some low quality stuff from pools.
If it really enhances the entire file I would pay that money.

Hopefully someone on this board has it and might want to share his experience with it.
ninos 1:44 PM - 24 March, 2010
no doubt bout the limewire shit. haha, but then you couldnt get intro's/clean/dirty/instrumental/acapella and all the new songs. LOL. and damn, i need to start ripping my vinyl. lol
Dj.Mojo 1:46 PM - 24 March, 2010
Or save the buck and just buy the tracks. Saves time and money for Platinum notes.
The Return of Dj Sparky 1:55 PM - 24 March, 2010
platinum notes will not make your shit tracks sound great, this is for producers who cannot normilize their tracks properly and thats what this does as far as I'm aware, or maby i stand corrected.
SeriousCyrus 2:11 PM - 24 March, 2010
I woulnd't trust anything to automatically improve my music.
Dj.Mojo 2:14 PM - 24 March, 2010
It doesn´t just improve "It will make your songs acoustically perfect".
:-)
DJ_Quirk 2:38 PM - 24 March, 2010
It seems to be a one size fits all mastering plug-in thingy. I'll pass....
HYDRO MATIC 5:18 PM - 24 March, 2010
nothing more than a compressor / limiter and some enhancsing eq...aka hot garbage...

IT WILL DO NOTHING FOR SHITTY QUALITY MP3's EXCEPT MAKE THEM NORMLISED AND TURN UP THE BASS...
Turn Table Tennis 5:21 PM - 24 March, 2010
Quote:
It doesn´t just improve "It will make your songs acoustically perfect".
:-)

you can do that with protools, logic, ableton, even audacity.
Loopman 5:25 PM - 24 March, 2010
what hydro matic said.. its a bit more advanced then the autogain function inside Serato at best
kue 5:46 PM - 24 March, 2010
I just use it for vinyl rips. Works really well for that.
Laz219 9:32 PM - 24 March, 2010
I google'd it out of curiosity, found a fair few positive responses actually. If it works would definitely be good but I'm not really interested in paying $100 just to test it and from what I read most people feel the same.
I guess they really need to do a trial version that does 5-10 tracks before locking for people to try out.
Laz219 10:55 PM - 24 March, 2010
I just grabbed a copy to run as a trial version, still testing. I tried a couple of tracks though.

Ida Corr vs Fedde Le Grande (Flamemakers Remix)
It applied a gain reduction, fixed 650 clipped peaks and adjusted the pitch at 13cents
With the waveforms above eachother in ableton the clipped peaks definitely standout as being reduced perfectly.

Pitbull- Hotel Room Service (Remix)
According to PN it lowered the gain, fixed 12305 clipped peaks, adjusted dynamics and didn't touch the pitch.

I'm uploading some cutouts of the test tracks onto soundcloud, in both ones the first part is the original (Record Pool downloads) and then will go to the PN edited version. Originals are available for download.

soundcloud.com
soundcloud.com
Dj BuddyLove 11:43 PM - 24 March, 2010
where are the originals..
i just see the PN versions.
do one mixing the OG into the PN version.
DJ Sainte 12:03 AM - 25 March, 2010
Don't bother. Mixed in Key is good but PN isn't worth it.
Dj.Mojo 8:47 AM - 25 March, 2010
Quote:

do one mixing the OG into the PN version.

Great idea!
Laz219 9:38 AM - 25 March, 2010
Buddy Love....if you listen to them the original plays first, then halfway through cuts to the PN altered version.
Laz219 9:40 AM - 25 March, 2010
Ok I take that back, must've had some highlighted in ableton. will re-upload tomorrow.
Dj.Mojo 9:43 AM - 25 March, 2010
Thanks in advance
Laz219 10:00 AM - 25 March, 2010
just came to the conclusion I'm not actually doing anything worthwhile right now so I'll get it out of the way.
For any real comparison I'd say download the Wav files. They are being sent (without any normalization) out of ableton to wavs.
I'll be removing them in a week or two.

Will have them reposted in 5-10 minutes. Link to come then.
Laz219 10:35 AM - 25 March, 2010
Upload failed, I've just got a new router and i'm strugling to get consistent connections on it.
Will try again soon.
Laz219 11:05 AM - 25 March, 2010
Alright here you go...

soundcloud.com
soundcloud.com
Dj.Mojo 11:20 AM - 25 March, 2010
Thanks, will check it out when I get home from work.
Dj BuddyLove 7:37 PM - 25 March, 2010
Quote:
Alright here you go...

soundcloud.com
soundcloud.com

2nd track is not chaged. no comparison.

1st track seems like PN just normalized the track and droped the volume level significantly. dont hear any crisp high end?
Dj.Mojo 7:49 PM - 25 March, 2010
Thanks Laz219

Your pic is really likeable!

First song is pretty much only quieter... maybe the voice of the singer wasn´t that piercing but that could be due to the decreased loudness.
I couldn´t hear any changes on the second one.
Buddy Love and I are either equally def or it DOES sound the same.

Thanks for your time Laz!
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:53 PM - 25 March, 2010
Quote:
Thanks Laz219

uh huh .....no homo?
Dj BuddyLove 7:53 PM - 25 March, 2010
Quote:
Thanks Laz219

HOMO :P

Quote:
I couldn´t hear any changes on the second one.
Buddy Love and I are either equally def or it DOES sound the same.

its because it hasnt been updated to the comparison one.
Dj.Mojo 8:29 PM - 25 March, 2010
My bad, I forgot about the 4th forum rule:

"Whenever you don´t flame a forum member add a (no homo) to the end of your post."
Laz219 9:20 PM - 25 March, 2010
Loading directly off that link the 2nd is different for me, I just didn't put a break between one starting and the other finishing.
1.26 (where the waveform shrinks) is the platinum notes version starting.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:22 PM - 25 March, 2010
someone wake me when then send out the email for Mixed in Key 5...the MiK where their supposed to finally have MP4 tagging and ability to scan whitelabel files without messin them up
Nick Fury 9:30 PM - 25 March, 2010
+11111
Dj BuddyLove 7:43 AM - 26 March, 2010
Quote:
My bad, I forgot about the 4th forum rule:

"Whenever you don´t flame a forum member add a (no homo) to the end of your post."

lol..
thats why i didnt put (no)

jajajajaja
ChadP - Mixed In Key 8:30 PM - 26 March, 2010
Hi guys,

Glad to see that the news about Platinum Notes made it to the Serato forums. If you have any specific questions about our software and implementing it with Serato just give a shout.

Cheers,
Chad P
Mixed In Key
ninos 9:54 PM - 26 March, 2010
Quote:
Hi guys,

Glad to see that the news about Platinum Notes made it to the Serato forums. If you have any specific questions about our software and implementing it with Serato just give a shout.

Cheers,
Chad P
Mixed In Key

Is it REALLY that good?
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:10 PM - 26 March, 2010
Quote:
Hi guys,

Cheers,
Chad P
Mixed In Key

Any Word on MiK 5?
ChadP - Mixed In Key 10:10 PM - 26 March, 2010
[Quote]Is it REALLY that good?

It's the best thing since sliced bread ;)

Seriously, it's a good program. I run all of my promo tracks through it, otherwise I can't listen to them for more than a few minutes without ear fatigue. Most dance music released these days is mastered too loud in the attempt to sound "good."

PN works for the opposite too - if you've got a bootleg or are digitizing your vinyl collection PN will bring them up to levels that are consistent with the rest of your collection.
DJDDT 10:11 PM - 26 March, 2010
...nah...
ChadP - Mixed In Key 10:12 PM - 26 March, 2010
Quote:
Any Word on MiK 5?

Not yet, I'm as eager to see it finished and released as you are.
Dj K.Smith 10:15 PM - 26 March, 2010
I use it to clean up some tracks and Mixed in Key to get the right "mix" harmonically... Good stuff...

My $.02
Dj BuddyLove 10:27 PM - 26 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Any Word on MiK 5?

what diffrence is MIK 5 suppose to have. (out of curiosity)
i have MIK 3
FunkyRob 10:51 PM - 26 March, 2010
I hate sliced bread.

I prefer my sandwiches like this one.

www.telegraph.co.uk
ChadP - Mixed In Key 11:09 PM - 26 March, 2010
Quote:
i have MIK 3

We're going to develop some new features that we'll keep for a surprise for later. We'll probably be adding multi-core support since we got it working in Platinum Notes. We'll also be adding compatibility for more file types, which I would expect to include AAC and some video file formats.

Quote:
I hate sliced bread.

I prefer my sandwiches like this one.

www.telegraph.co.uk

Baked beans on a sandwich? I love it :)
Dj.Mojo 2:31 AM - 27 March, 2010
So Plat. Notes is meant to be used with already mastered mp3s and not so much to master your own productions, right?
ChadP - Mixed In Key 2:56 AM - 27 March, 2010
Quote:
So Plat. Notes is meant to be used with already mastered mp3s and not so much to master your own productions, right?

It can be used for both. The ability to easily master my own productions was one of the initial reasons that led me to work for Mixed In Key.

However, this is not what the default template is designed for. It is a little counter intuitive, but if I were to use PN to master a track for release I would raise the output volume to give it a better chance of competing against other tracks out there. The version of the track that I would keep in my collection for mixing would be mastered at the level of the default template.
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:55 AM - 31 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Any Word on MiK 5?

i have MIK 3

ive read abitity to key tag MP4 and white label files are both gonna be included
Dj Ace 1:34 AM - 29 November, 2010
any news on this...just purchased mixed in key today!
The Return of Dj Sparky 9:17 PM - 1 December, 2010
Well Chad its been a while since your post in March, what is the hold up on MIK 5?

and will it be able to scan tracks offline?
Dirty Digits 5:52 AM - 3 December, 2010
Please add compatibility for different video formats

manually adding key into every new video file in my library is the worrrrssst
DJ Tecniq 5:51 AM - 6 December, 2010
im not really impressed with it, i did a demo with a few files i kept the original files and it created PN files as well. I compared them in quality & previewed them, no fucking difference at all. It does write keys for all tracks u analyze. Then in serato make sure the key column is checked. From my experience if you set your bpm's in serato it's really no different. Cool thing is whatever genre you're playing you can search that certain key and all your song files will come up with matching keys. There's a torrent for platinum notes on the net a friend told me.
DJ Tecniq 5:53 AM - 6 December, 2010
But like i said if you go by your bpm list platinum notes will just make it easier for you. Takes forever to analyze the files thou like hrs..and hrs and hrs...
ChadP - Mixed In Key 3:52 PM - 6 December, 2010
Quote:
Well Chad its been a while since your post in March, what is the hold up on MIK 5? Will it be able to scan tracks offline?

Sorry, no info is available at this time. We've been focusing all of our development resources on our new video production software, One Idea: www.facebook.com

Quote:
Please add compatibility for different video formats. Manually adding key into every new video file in my library is the worrrrssst

Definitely something we will look into.
DJ Dub (DC's Own) 1:36 PM - 9 December, 2010
One Idea looks pretty cool!
DJ Remy USA 3:21 PM - 9 December, 2010
platinum notes is good for poeple who create remixes and might not be great mastering the overall audio. You ever notice that some files have tiny wav forms and some have huge crips wav forms. If you have old files ripped from vinyl run them through platinum notes it will increase the audio frequencies to give you those nice crips peaks in the wav forms.
ChadP - Mixed In Key 4:00 PM - 9 December, 2010
Quote:

If you "like" our Facebook page you'll get on the beta testers list ;)
Dj BuddyLove 9:30 PM - 9 December, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

im on your face book page.
where's the beta testing. :)
ChadP - Mixed In Key 9:35 PM - 9 December, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

im on your face book page.
where's the beta testing. :)

Hahaha, not quite there yet. We're making steady progress on it though, I'm seeing new Mac builds every week and our Windows team has just been expanded. Should be a lot of cool stuff coming from us next year ;)
Captain Eclectic 1:51 AM - 26 February, 2012
Hey guys...

Mixed in Key is awesome and takes mixing to the next level... I used it a few years ago and just downloaded the latest version (it's really fast with multi-core processor support)
I'm considering Platinum Notes to normalise my tracks, it looks like a decent, worthwhile DJ tool... most of my tracks are too loud, so I usually just tweak the quieter ones in the mix, but this would make them all uniform... nice!

But am I missing something with this One Idea thing?

Doesn't it look shit? Maybe it's a case of personal taste but to me it looks like a bad version of ArKaos...

'Oh it looks really cool'

What??

The emperors new clothes??

Guys, stick with what you do well and leave the stuff you don't to others...
franceis 7:20 PM - 1 July, 2012
The worst thing that I read here was that: if you produce a home-track, PN can master it for you.
Please use google and find out a bit more about mastering, PN has nothing to do with this. The purpose of the software is to IMPROVE your bad mp3 sounds, adjusting dynamics,volume, pitch and repairing clipping, if PN understands that it's needed to.
I've tested with different sort of files and qualities and for old tunnes, degraded mp3s it works fine, many times it really improve your files.
But this price is far more expensive than what it really does, that's calculating these parameters and resetting them to a standard level.
ProMusician 11:39 PM - 15 November, 2012
To all:

Platinum Notes is a MUST for every musician trying to learn a song. Platinum Notes will tune the song (however it was recorded) to the nearest half-step. This makes it ALREADY in tune with your instrument if it's already tuned.

You see, you won't have t cringe anymore listening to something in-between keys or having to tune your instrument to the recording.

David
DJMark 12:14 AM - 16 November, 2012
Quote:
Platinum Notes will tune the song (however it was recorded) to the nearest half-step.

Not without degradation.

No thanks!
ProMusician 1:37 AM - 16 November, 2012
I notice NO degradation, ever. If someone could elaborate on exactly how a "tuned" song is degraded I would love to know. Thanks,
David
DJMark 5:20 AM - 16 November, 2012
If you can't hear it, you can't hear it I guess.

A lot of people don't even seem to notice how bad Key Lock sounds...can never quite believe my eyes when I see so many DJ's leaving that on all the time.

Ahhwell..
Chad Pranke 9:22 AM - 16 November, 2012
That's an interesting use of Platinum Notes that ProMusician mentioned, I hadn't thought of using it for that before but it's a great idea.

DJMark is right that time stretching and pitch adjustments that preserve the original tempo can leave audio artifacts, but they it's pretty rare to hear any audible artifacts from PN because the adjustments are so small, plus we use the highest quality pitch adjustment that is out there. If you're still concerned about it though you can turn the pitch correction of or switch it to vinyl style so that the pitch is adjusted by changing the tempo.
HLO 3:05 PM - 22 December, 2012
can anyone link me to the download of platinum notes 3.0 if you own it can you upload it to 2shared or zippyshare i have a code i just need the software email me if possible at pigeonpoprecords@yahoo.com thanx
phatbob 4:33 PM - 22 December, 2012
Quote:
can anyone link me to the download of platinum notes 3.0 if you own it can you upload it to 2shared or zippyshare i have a code i just need the software email me if possible at pigeonpoprecords@yahoo.com thanx

Here you go: www.platinumnotes.com
DJ Unique 7:45 PM - 22 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Here you go: www.platinumnotes.com

HaHaHa...
HLO 5:45 PM - 24 December, 2012
lol you mutha fuckas
HLO 5:45 PM - 24 December, 2012
im trying to test a hack
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:55 PM - 24 December, 2012
IBTL
djnak 8:18 PM - 24 December, 2012
REALLY ...ITS A DJ TOOL AND YOUR A DJ YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO BUY A LEGIT COPY OF SOMETHING THAT IS GONNA HELP YOU GET PAID!!!!!!

guess I just come from a different era....
HandsomeRobDJ 2:44 AM - 28 December, 2012
Oh... Well... Here we go. It's a DJ tool. Not a producers tool. This is a DJ forum built on the premise of a pretty popular piece of DJ gear. Who gives a $h!t if it's a useful tool for producing or not. I am a DJ. I paid the $100. I used PN on ALL my tracks and my library not only sounds GREAT, but it all sounds the same. I don't have to babysit the gains because one track may be low, or play with the highs and lows unless I'm actually playing with them. Everything sounds correct. I ALWAYS get compliments on the quality of my sound. If you're a serious DJ flip the $100 and use PN to step your game up a notch. If you're a producer go hit a producer's forum up. If you're not making enough cheddar to throw down a Benji in PN maybe it's cause your tracks sound amateur.
dj_soo 4:01 AM - 28 December, 2012
still not convinced. You're basically doing every possible thing on your tracks you shouldn't be doing to get good quality sound out of your files.

1. unless you're entire collection of tunes is lossless, you're transcoding all your tunes
2. you're applying a mastering chain on tracks that are already mastered
3. you're applying an *automated* mastering chain on tracks that are already mastered

if you have good quality tracks, then something like platinum notes is superfluous at best and a straight up scam at worst.
dj_soo 4:04 AM - 28 December, 2012
Quote:
The worst thing that I read here was that: if you produce a home-track, PN can master it for you.

holy shit - don't use a shitty $100 program to master your tunes. There's a reason mastering engineers go to school for years and adjust mastering process to every tune as every mixdown is different.

Even then, there are tons more professional and prosumer-quality software mastering programs and plugins you can use that will actually get you a decent mastering result if you know what you're doing.
HandsomeRobDJ 2:55 PM - 28 December, 2012
BTW, did I see in here somewhere that PN/MIK has or is working on something for video?
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:57 PM - 28 December, 2012
....mik has worked with video for a while now
HandsomeRobDJ 3:01 PM - 28 December, 2012
What about PN, Bez? Good looking studio, by the way!
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:15 PM - 28 December, 2012
Quote:
What about PN, Bez? Good looking studio, by the way!

THANKS! Not sure about PN,.ive never been comfortable with the idea of letting a program try to fix my sound files so i never bought it
AKIEM 5:26 PM - 28 December, 2012
Can you set it to change the tempo instead of time stretch?
Otherwise - eh
HandsomeRobDJ 6:50 PM - 28 December, 2012
Don't think it'll change tempo or anything of the sort. It just... "re-masters", so to speak. If I'm trying to change the tempo on something I just use Serato to play it slow or fast and record what's playing. Don't really need anything else.
AKIEM 8:26 PM - 28 December, 2012
If it corrects pitch but by stretching - eh
DJ Unique 1:01 AM - 29 December, 2012
So Platinum Notes takes your bad-sounding MP3 and recreates a better-sounding MP3???
My friend uses it but I think his music sounds over compressed.
DJRemixEnt 1:06 AM - 29 December, 2012
are there any decent samples available to see the difference of a track before and after its been ran thru PN? I saw the little comparison on the PN website, but it just seems like they boosted the volume.
HandsomeRobDJ 5:31 PM - 29 December, 2012
Heavy sigh. I have run mp3's that sounded like straight garbage through PN and wav's from CD rips. They all come out sounding the same. And sounding pretty damn good in my opinion. The point I'm trying to make is not that as a producer I use it to master $#!t I produce. The point I'm trying to make is that ad a DJ, after using PN, all of my songs have a good, clean, uniform sound. It helps my sets flow through smoothly. And again, it saves me from having to worry that the song I have cued up to play next is going to sound epicly different than the one playing now and cause a big trainwreck transition. I like that comfort and security.
AKIEM 5:39 PM - 29 December, 2012
Quote:
Don't think it'll change tempo or anything of the sort. It just... "re-masters", so to speak. If I'm trying to change the tempo on something I just use Serato to play it slow or fast and record what's playing. Don't really need anything else.

So yes when it changes pitch, it does it by TIME STRETCHING. If it changed pitch by adjusting speed (the good way) I might have some use for it.
HandsomeRobDJ 5:49 PM - 29 December, 2012
*as a DJ- damn my typos today!!!
phatbob 6:04 PM - 29 December, 2012
Quote:
Heavy sigh. I have run mp3's that sounded like straight garbage through PN and wav's from CD rips. They all come out sounding the same. And sounding pretty damn good in my opinion. The point I'm trying to make is not that as a producer I use it to master $#!t I produce. The point I'm trying to make is that ad a DJ, after using PN, all of my songs have a good, clean, uniform sound. It helps my sets flow through smoothly. And again, it saves me from having to worry that the song I have cued up to play next is going to sound epicly different than the one playing now and cause a big trainwreck transition. I like that comfort and security.

So you want to make your wav files sound as bad as your mp3s for the sake of uniformity? Mind boggling.
DJ Remy USA 8:42 PM - 30 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

So you want to make your wav files sound as bad as your mp3s for the sake of uniformity? Mind boggling.

Lol I would rather just use good files to start with granted not all files are created equally. If I can't use EQ on the mixer to make the song sonically appear equal then I need a better quality file
DJ Unique 10:29 PM - 30 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Lol I would rather just use good files to start with granted not all files are created equally. If I can't use EQ on the mixer to make the song sonically appear equal then I need a better quality file

Exactly.... or a better mixer.
dj_soo 10:56 PM - 30 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

this
amphidelic 2:13 AM - 31 December, 2012
Definitely pass on Platinum Notes. You could use your ears and a free copy of Audacity or something, to normalize your tracks or re-EQ them.

A friend talked me into getting Platinum Notes a couple of years ago, and if I'm lazy, I might use it on uncompressed recordings of my vinyl rips, but that's about it.

As for Mixed In Key's "Energy Rating", it's a joke. It's giving Poolside a 7 or 8, while my Rebolledo gets a 3 or 4. I'm also not impressed that users of v5.x are forced to update the software to 5.5 if they want to use the software at all now.

Rekordbox does key detection, and it's free. Don't make the same mistakes I did, kids.
HandsomeRobDJ 2:47 AM - 31 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
...it saves me from having to worry that the song I have cued up to play next is going to sound epicly different than the one playing now and cause a big trainwreck transition. I like that comfort and security.
... granted not all files are created equally. If I can't use EQ on the mixer to make the song sonically appear equal then I need a better quality file

Sometimes I feel like I'm in a forum full of elementary school kids. "He doesn't do the same thing I do so he's stupid. Na na na na na na!". I said I don't want to have to jack with gains and eq's and $h!t (unless it's for effect). You choose to risk it and somehow this demonstrates an inferiority in my technique. I'm not mad at you, I'm just entertained by your my dad could beat up your dad style : )
dj_soo 10:20 AM - 31 December, 2012
it's more the fact that you've been duped by marketing into paying money to mess with your files in a way that you probably shouldn't (i.e. transcoding) when it isn't necessary.
Daktyl 11:49 AM - 31 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

So yes when it changes pitch, it does it by TIME STRETCHING. If it changed pitch by adjusting speed (the good way) I might have some use for it.

Dude from PN addressed this b4 in this thread...

Quote:
DJMark is right that time stretching and pitch adjustments that preserve the original tempo can leave audio artifacts, but they it's pretty rare to hear any audible artifacts from PN because the adjustments are so small, plus we use the highest quality pitch adjustment that is out there. If you're still concerned about it though you can turn the pitch correction of or switch it to vinyl style so that the pitch is adjusted by changing the tempo.
AKIEM 12:56 PM - 31 December, 2012
ah, so indeed I might have some use for it
DJ Remy USA 12:25 AM - 2 January, 2013
Quote:
it's more the fact that you've been duped by marketing into paying money to mess with your files in a way that you probably shouldn't (i.e. transcoding) when it isn't necessary.

Exactly my thoughts
DJ OH! 8:37 AM - 30 July, 2013
Quote:
Oh... Well... Here we go. It's a DJ tool. Not a producers tool. This is a DJ forum built on the premise of a pretty popular piece of DJ gear. Who gives a $h!t if it's a useful tool for producing or not. I am a DJ. I paid the $100. I used PN on ALL my tracks and my library not only sounds GREAT, but it all sounds the same. I don't have to babysit the gains because one track may be low, or play with the highs and lows unless I'm actually playing with them. Everything sounds correct. I ALWAYS get compliments on the quality of my sound. If you're a serious DJ flip the $100 and use PN to step your game up a notch. If you're a producer go hit a producer's forum up. If you're not making enough cheddar to throw down a Benji in PN maybe it's cause your tracks sound amateur.

Quote:

You should learn how to 'Equalize' the tracks by the mixer. sounds like you will fxxx up when PN discontinues and then your new tracks sound amateur.
DJ OH! 8:51 AM - 30 July, 2013
Quote:
Sometimes I feel like I'm in a forum full of elementary school kids. "He doesn't do the same thing I do so he's stupid. Na na na na na na!". I said I don't want to have to jack with gains and eq's and $h!t (unless it's for effect). You choose to risk it and somehow this demonstrates an inferiority in my technique. I'm not mad at you, I'm just entertained by your my dad could beat up your dad style : )

ur saying if PN did it, you don't need to mess with EQ for it.
wondering what type of mixer ur using.
The Mitchell 3:28 PM - 23 January, 2014
For one thing, It sounds like this does destructive edits to your files. Problems I forsee:

1. All you files managed with this software are now different fundamentally to the originals. Ie the new track you have created is no longer recognised as the same track as is on your album. Can be tricked with id3 tags but it is NOT the same as the original sample track. This will be an issue with itunes match.

2. You are changing your audio files to no longer be what the original artist intended. If you want to eq etc do it on the fly, dont change your track as hell why did the guy who mastered it spend god knows how long doing so. He had time to test it on many speakers and has years of experience in doing so. If its your own stuff and you cant master etc then fair enough but why fuck with something that a whole team of industry professionals have spent a large amount of time thinking about and trying on different systems.

3. $90 is a shit load of money for a normaliser?
DJ SUPERETRO 1:52 PM - 12 March, 2014
Hi guys.... I'm currently using PN4 atm, i reckon its pretty good for 100 bucks.. i really can justify it since I'm using DDJ-SX and their sound is pretty raw and rough compared to my TTM62, so i think its not fair to discredit PN for their products.... i give 7/10 for PN, I'm not gonna die without it, but it does makes my life easier, thanks guys.
DJ SUPERETRO 1:58 PM - 12 March, 2014
additional comments, i also found in some rich mid and vocal songs gets compressed after PN, its not that loud anymore but at least my library sounds pretty balanced and still in good quality... but i also found this product can't heal low quality songs, but they do good job in even out the sound of amateur mash up bootlegs.... I'm not pro in sound and DJ, I'm just a dj next door that wants to share few thoughts and experience.
MICAIAH 1:28 PM - 4 June, 2014
so, I didn't read every post in this thread but I would like to know about making all of the songs in a DJ mix the same volume. I have been told that some of my mixes have inconsistent volumes between songs. I record directly into Logic and use an adaptive limiter and mild compression to make it louder but would Platinum Notes help with this? How do you guys keep your songs the same volume in your DJ mixes?
Laz219 3:16 PM - 4 June, 2014
Well, if I'm recording live.... gains on the mixer.
I find auto-gain within the software works very well besides the occasional track.
In a DAW, well....I just listen to it and see if it's sounding correct,
Mr. Goodkat 5:44 PM - 4 June, 2014
Quote:
How do you guys keep your songs the same volume in your DJ mixes?

ears, homie, the ears.
HighTopFade 8:10 PM - 4 June, 2014
Best 90 bucks I've ever spent.