DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What was the first DJ "trick" you learned?

o Blue Ninja o 2:00 PM - 20 March, 2010
Before I ordered anything, I watched videos of various things... Turntablists, skratchers, even just straight up mixing. I figured I'd learn things in this order: Skratching(basic) > Mixing > Juggling > Skratching(Advanced) > Turntablism. Merely hours into my first ever practice section, I learned to juggle. And that time, my moniter was still on the other side of the room so I wasn't watching waveforms....(Guitar Hero stickers finally came in handy.) Tonight I finally got acouple basic skratches down, though I'll need tons of practice to get it perfect.

So, What was your first trick you learned?
howcome 2:45 PM - 20 March, 2010
If by trick you mean beyond the basics, I would say spinning around while juggling. Or body tricks. Back when I was learning body tricks were what impressed people now it is technical music composition in juggling. Some of that shit confuses me.
djdragon 3:11 PM - 20 March, 2010
hi-ball glass + beer bottle + flipped headshell = playing vinyl in reverse
Lithium 4:37 PM - 20 March, 2010
I learned to say "I'll see what I can do" when someone requests a song instead of saying "no."
DJDaveOtt 4:48 PM - 20 March, 2010
Quote:

What's the beer bottle for??
DJ Mr. $ 5:24 PM - 20 March, 2010
Quote:
I learned to say "I'll see what I can do" when someone requests a song instead of saying "no."

+1
Subdriven 6:07 PM - 20 March, 2010
How to match that tiny hole in the vinyl to the platter.... Like threading a needle... lol

j/k......
djanthonyd 6:27 PM - 20 March, 2010
learned to do babys on drums with an hercules mk2. Using a gateway laptop and virtual dj. Got so excited i recorded it and sent it to my girlfriend. She was like wtf is that? lol
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:33 PM - 20 March, 2010
A triple backspin.
Turn Table Tennis 7:47 PM - 20 March, 2010
Quote:
How to match that tiny hole in the vinyl to the platter.... Like threading a needle... lol

j/k......

a dj lesson that can also be taught as a life lesson.
djdragon 12:50 AM - 21 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Hi-ball glass upside down on technics platter.

Record on Hi-ball glass.

Beer bottle on top of vinyl for weight.

Watchwww.youtube.com
Subdriven 1:26 AM - 21 March, 2010
THAT IS JUST BAD ASS!!!! Now to do it with my NS7.... lol
djdragon 1:29 AM - 21 March, 2010
holy shit! clean your vinyl using wood glue!

digitanalogue.blogspot.com
djdragon 1:31 AM - 21 March, 2010
Quote:
holy shit! clean your vinyl using wood glue!

digitanalogue.blogspot.com

Watchwww.youtube.com
Dj Spin 3:40 AM - 21 March, 2010
Haha... We used to do that backwards vinyl trick back in the day using a Mcdonald's straw and a technics 45 adapter
o Blue Ninja o 7:29 AM - 22 March, 2010
Thats pretty wicked. I'll have to try that one of these days... Just for the hell of it.
The Return of Dj Sparky 9:38 AM - 22 March, 2010
first trick I learned was how to make the crowd on the dance floor disappear
ninos 1:46 PM - 22 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hi-ball glass upside down on technics platter.

Record on Hi-ball glass.

Beer bottle on top of vinyl for weight.

Watchwww.youtube.com

ellaskins does it better!

Watchwww.youtube.com
ral 2:46 PM - 22 March, 2010
DJ Prinvale` 3:35 PM - 22 March, 2010
I think the first one I learned (on accident) was back in the day when I first started DJing. I picked up a few duplicates on vinyl to learn beatmatching and I accidentally doubled the beat but it sounded really cool. I didn't really know what I had stumbled upon until I saw another DJ do it on purpose. I would say that was my first "trick" I learned. SSL makes it pretty easy to do now-a-days.
Marx&Villain 4:27 PM - 22 March, 2010
a barrel roll
Steve Dub. 4:33 PM - 22 March, 2010
Quote:
Before I ordered anything, I watched videos of various things... Turntablists, skratchers, even just straight up mixing. I figured I'd learn things in this order: Skratching(basic) > Mixing > Juggling > Skratching(Advanced) > Turntablism. Merely hours into my first ever practice section, I learned to juggle. And that time, my moniter was still on the other side of the room so I wasn't watching waveforms....(Guitar Hero stickers finally came in handy.) Tonight I finally got acouple basic skratches down, though I'll need tons of practice to get it perfect.

So, What was your first trick you learned?

First thing is to know that you will NEVER get it perfect. :P
DJDeluchi 5:14 PM - 22 March, 2010
first trick i learnt was get a track playing that ppl will sing to i mean really sing like mrs jackson by outkast reduce volume sightly hear if there singing take out all volume let the floor sing words at big moment in track there expecting you to bring track back in bring in another club banger on the first vocal on the other channel 99 times out of 100 club goes goes crazy
DJ Prinvale` 5:27 PM - 22 March, 2010
Quote:
first trick i learnt was get a track playing that ppl will sing to i mean really sing like mrs jackson by outkast reduce volume sightly hear if there singing take out all volume let the floor sing words at big moment in track there expecting you to bring track back in bring in another club banger on the first vocal on the other channel 99 times out of 100 club goes goes crazy

that's 1% when it doesn't work sucks ass though haha...
DJDeluchi 5:44 PM - 22 March, 2010
if it dont work you backspin and restart the track you just took off lol