DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Serato Scratchlive Ortofon needles.

dJ bMaN 4:28 PM - 19 March, 2010
Has anyone bought them yet? I saw them in Guitar Center and they looked pretty cool but 199 for one cartridge? I have been using the Ortofon concorde scratch (neon red/pink) needles for the past 6 years. Is there really a difference in how it handles the time codes? So far they all seem the same to me on Serato.
dj Wiseguy 4:47 PM - 19 March, 2010
I bounce between the ortofon nightclubs and shure m 44-7s......the only difference i have noticed is when i switch from control vinyl to regular vinyl.....other than that it seems to be the same....hope that helps.....W.
dJ bMaN 5:03 PM - 19 March, 2010
That's what I thought. So basically the 199 price comes from the serato logo on the needles and the black/red and gray color.
dJ bMaN 5:06 PM - 19 March, 2010
Dj Farhan 12:31 AM - 23 March, 2010
C. William 5:55 AM - 23 March, 2010
so ridiculous. it's time for digital controllers with spinning platters for ssl. like the v7.

i can't fathom spending that much money for carts/needles that play nothing but timecode records
the_black_one 6:02 AM - 23 March, 2010
*****cue dub cowboy*******
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:05 PM - 23 March, 2010
right on time!
Turn Table Tennis 6:09 PM - 23 March, 2010
they're supposed to sound superb in regular vinyl as well. and who cares what age we're in, i still play vinyl.
Steve Dub. 6:09 PM - 23 March, 2010
Quote:
so ridiculous. it's time for digital controllers with spinning platters for ssl. like the v7.

i can't fathom spending that much money for carts/needles that play nothing but timecode records

+1000000

I HAD to buy a new set of 44s last week because my others that were going on 5 years old had wayyy to much gunk inside and even new stylus wasn't helping so I had to shell out for a new set. I told myself that would probably be the last set of needles I ever buy.
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:11 PM - 23 March, 2010
you think $400 for new needles is bad, try custom painting your decks to match them...

twitpic.com

just kidding, the decks were already planned but those S-120s will look nice on these when they are done.
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:14 PM - 23 March, 2010
I'm not sold on digital controller decks either, even though I think they are needed in the marketplace.

1. I love records
2. I'm still going to way more impressed by the DJ who can keep a needle on the wax while getting busy and respecting tradition that someone who can wiggle a motorized platter.
vinylmanipulator 7:24 PM - 23 March, 2010
+1000000.....I'm just ol skool and that's the way I like it..:-)
Steve Dub. 8:07 PM - 23 March, 2010
Quote:
I'm not sold on digital controller decks either, even though I think they are needed in the marketplace.

1. I love records
2. I'm still going to way more impressed by the DJ who can keep a needle on the wax while getting busy and respecting tradition that someone who can wiggle a motorized platter.

Then sell your serato and stick strictly to vinyl. I thought so.
djdannyd 8:30 PM - 23 March, 2010
With Serato you still have the vinyl option, digital controllers with a motorized platter no vinyl option. I still buy vinyl (not just control vinyl) and there is no way in hell that i would ever get a controller other than my technics turntables.
Steve Dub. 8:40 PM - 23 March, 2010
Then you must not have ever tried the NS7. It's a REAL vinyl record. Just like Serato. Except you don't have to deal with skipping and tracking.

I still by vinyl too but I'm not afraid of technology. I welcome it.
djdannyd 8:44 PM - 23 March, 2010
I'm not afraid of it either, that's why I'm using a laptop and Serato. It is just that I started out with vinyl and still continue to use vinyl, regular vinyl and control vinyl. By vinyl I mean real vinyl being played by a stylus, not a motorized platter with a piece of vinyl on top of it.
Steve Dub. 8:48 PM - 23 March, 2010
Same outcome. Let your skills speak, not your equipment.
djdannyd 8:50 PM - 23 March, 2010
It's more preference, than anything else.
djdannyd 8:51 PM - 23 March, 2010
Quote:
Except you don't have to deal with skipping and tracking

Quote:
Let your skills speak, not your equipment.

Steve Dub. 8:54 PM - 23 March, 2010
I'm just giving reasons why midi controllers are better than the old turntable vinyl set-up. There are other reasons.

Having cues and controllers right on the platter. You touch the computer less and look like less of a wavie.

I still rock 12's myself and even when they do make a controller for SSL I'd still keep my 12's at home and use the midi controller for the road.
the_black_one 8:59 PM - 23 March, 2010
the turntable is the best control interface to manipulate music period!! Everything else falls short!
Even if the new midi controllers have actual records that spin, the feel of a real turntable can not be duplicated by anything else!

*****showed my age*******
Turn Table Tennis 9:05 PM - 23 March, 2010
technics is going to take all the turntables they have left and turn them into midi controllers.
djdannyd 9:06 PM - 23 March, 2010
Like I said, it just comes down to preference. Being a hip hop dj myself, i rather quit djing than become a controller dj.

Controller Dj may prefer spinning Dance, trance etc
Dj Mike P. 9:06 PM - 23 March, 2010
Quote:
the turntable is the best control interface to manipulate music period!! Everything else falls short!
Even if the new midi controllers have actual records that spin, the feel of a real turntable can not be duplicated by anything else!

*****showed my age*******

+1
the_black_one 9:07 PM - 23 March, 2010
Quote:
technics is going to take all the turntables they have left and turn them into midi controllers.

very nice!!!!

******BORAD VOICE*****
Dj Mike P. 9:07 PM - 23 March, 2010
Quote:
Like I said, it just comes down to preference. Being a hip hop dj myself, i rather quit djing than become a controller dj.

Controller Dj may prefer spinning Dance, trance etc

I feel the same way!
Steve Dub. 9:07 PM - 23 March, 2010
I'm a hip-hop DJ myself. Your arguements are shallow. Just sayin.
the_black_one 9:09 PM - 23 March, 2010
Quote:
I'm a hip-hop DJ myself. Your arguements are shallow. Just sayin.

let's not make this about the kind of music you play rather the experiance of playing music.......JUST SAYIN
Steve Dub. 9:09 PM - 23 March, 2010
Your "keep it real" approach don't mean shit unless you back it up. Just sayin.
djdannyd 9:11 PM - 23 March, 2010
Let's get into defining the term "Hip Hop Dj". :p
Steve Dub. 9:11 PM - 23 March, 2010
Lets.
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:13 PM - 23 March, 2010
I only play Lip Flap
the_black_one 9:13 PM - 23 March, 2010
All im sayin dub is that i have tried midi controllers and they are flat out boring to me. Spining plater CD players feel like toys, Internal mode with just the computer and a mixer is strait up wack! I guess i'm fucked becaude i have been manipulating music with turntables for a long time and there is no equipment out there for me! Just sayin
Turn Table Tennis 9:14 PM - 23 March, 2010
lets all put on a record (or an mp3 from a laptop thru a controller) and chill the fuck out.
the_black_one 9:16 PM - 23 March, 2010
i want no beef, just putting my 2 cents in the whole midi (die turntable die) argument.
Steve Dub. 9:20 PM - 23 March, 2010
Trust me, I see all off the reasons you guys are against midi controllers. I really do. I'm a scratch DJ, I love turntables but unless your rockin a full vinyl set then there's no reason not to be open minded about something like the V7.

There's way more positives than negatives is all I'm sayin.
djdannyd 9:20 PM - 23 March, 2010
Quote:
All im sayin dub is that i have tried midi controllers and they are flat out boring to me. Spining plater CD players feel like toys, Internal mode with just the computer and a mixer is strait up wack! I guess i'm fucked becaude i have been manipulating music with turntables for a long time and there is no equipment out there for me! Just sayin

+1
Quote:
lets all put on a record (or an mp3 from a laptop thru a controller) and chill the fuck out.

+2

Watchwww.youtube.com
Quote:
i want no beef, just putting my 2 cents in the whole midi (die turntable die) argument.

+3
the_black_one 9:22 PM - 23 March, 2010
Quote:
Trust me, I see all off the reasons you guys are against midi controllers. I really do. I'm a scratch DJ, I love turntables but unless your rockin a full vinyl set then there's no reason not to be open minded about something like the V7.

There's way more positives than negatives is all I'm sayin.

all good homie!!!
Turn Table Tennis 9:22 PM - 23 March, 2010
no one's saying they want them to go away.... but it's two thousand fucking ten. look at how far electronics have come, especially in the studio environment. there's definitely still a place for turntables, but controllers are the future.
for us vinyl heads, we'll keep it alive playing all vinyl sets here and there and hope labels keep putting out singles.
eder 9:23 PM - 23 March, 2010
Watchwww.youtube.com

It doesn't matter what you use, but how you use it.
the_black_one 9:27 PM - 23 March, 2010
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com

nice vid!
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:33 PM - 23 March, 2010
Quote:

i understand exactly what your saying BUT alot of that is entirley mental based on your preconcieved notions and experiences with the equipment, any piece of equipment with enough practice should be able to be used equivilently given their ability to perform the same operations
Serato
Sean.C 9:34 PM - 23 March, 2010
S
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com

A DJ of the future? i hope so cos he can look after me in my retirement :)

www.facebook.com

S
eder 9:54 PM - 23 March, 2010
Quote:
S
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com

www.facebook.com

S

............................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................
“-.,
.........................,/...........................................
....”:,
.....................,?...............................................
.......\,
.................../..................................................
.........,}
................./....................................................
..,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:â
€........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.....
....../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`.......
.../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_
/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............
../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............
`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\.....
.........__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

totally not helping my argument Sean...
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:56 PM - 23 March, 2010
this needs to be made

www.poweronplay.com
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:56 PM - 23 March, 2010
but I still want some S-120s on my 1200s
eder 9:58 PM - 23 March, 2010
Quote:
S
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com

www.facebook.com

S

............................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................
“-.,
.........................,/...........................................
....”:,
.....................,?...............................................
.......\,
.................../..................................................
.........,}
................./....................................................
..,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:â
€........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.....
....../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`.......
.../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_
/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............
../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............
`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\.....
.........__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

not helping my arguement at all Sean lol
eder 9:58 PM - 23 March, 2010
lol scratchlive.net doesn't like my posts.
the_black_one 10:00 PM - 23 March, 2010
[eder link removed]
Steve Dub. 10:01 PM - 23 March, 2010
Quote:

You'd buy a tampon if it had a Serato logo on it.
the_black_one 10:02 PM - 23 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

lol......... took the words right out of my mouth! {no homo}
DJ Dub Cowboy 10:10 PM - 23 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

nah, don't assume too much....

I'd get one for free somehow though.
Steve Dub. 10:12 PM - 23 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

nah, don't assume too much....

I'd get one for free and use it somehow though.

Nice.
latindj 10:17 PM - 23 March, 2010
Quote:
Internal mode with just the computer and a mixer is strait up wack!

that's why I use relative mode with my cdj's....other than some types of scratching, which I wouldn't do with our without turn tables, the control is pretty much the same...
DJ Dub Cowboy 10:31 PM - 23 March, 2010
I'll get an extra one and send it to you to help soak up all the tears from the next time you have to buy needles.

In all seriousness though, Steve you are one of those DJs that can rip it up on Serato but with a skill set gained from real records. I respect that and see it as the one of the few qualities that help draw the distinction between true veterans and microwaves to the average club goer.

On the hand, I do see your points and I sure an advance in technology like this would just open our platform up to new tricks that we cannot even conceive of yet. I used CDJs exclusively for a couple years because of the same reason, technology opened it up so that I could do things that I couldn't do with vinyl. However when the DVS came into the fold and I switched back to using records it was the perfect balance for me.

I'm even more sold on my Technics now that I have ripped them down to bare metal and built them back up again. It's like crafting my own weapon.
Steve Dub. 10:34 PM - 23 March, 2010
I can't stand CDJs. Hate em with a passion. But because it's not the same feel as vinyl. Of course control comes first. That's why these new midi turntables are so awesome. Same exact feel as vinyl. Besides the record being the size of a 45 (which you can get used to in an hour) there's really no difference except for the fact that you have a lot more control at your fingertips as opposed to always being on your laptop looking like a true wavie.
Steve Dub. 10:35 PM - 23 March, 2010
Even Skratchworx is sold on the NS7/V7 and that gizmo is the truth!
DJ Dub Cowboy 10:58 PM - 23 March, 2010
agree, NS/V7 is a winner

NS/V12 will be hard to deny
sixxx 11:07 PM - 23 March, 2010
Quote:
I can't stand CDJs. Hate em with a passion. But because it's not the same feel as vinyl. Of course control comes first. That's why these new midi turntables are so awesome. Same exact feel as vinyl. Besides the record being the size of a 45 (which you can get used to in an hour) there's really no difference except for the fact that you have a lot more control at your fingertips as opposed to always being on your laptop looking like a true wavie.

Did you ever try the numark HDX's? (CDX's)?

To me, they didn't feel like regular CDJ's. Anyway, that was 5 years ago when I tried them. I actually forgot what they feel like now. (no misquote)
sixxx 11:08 PM - 23 March, 2010
Quote:
Even Skratchworx is sold on the NS7/V7 and that gizmo is the truth!

Skratchworx is sold on auto-sync. So, that lost all credibility. lol
the_black_one 11:08 PM - 23 March, 2010
call me whatever you like............. but numark?!?!?!?!? really?
Steve Dub. 11:11 PM - 23 March, 2010
Numark is a stepping stone to a hopefully Rane/Serato made product that's similar. Numark has the right idea but it will take a company that has good built quality to perfect it.
DJ Dub Cowboy 11:12 PM - 23 March, 2010
this is what the CDXs feel like now

www.westseattlefunblog.com
the_black_one 11:14 PM - 23 March, 2010
Quote:
Numark is a stepping stone to a hopefully Rane/Serato made product that's similar. Numark has the right idea but it will take a company that has good built quality to perfect it.

+100000000000000000000

P.S. TO RANE

PLEASE MAKE A MIDI TURNTABLE THAT LOOKS FEELS SMELLS LIKE TECHNICS
Steve Dub. 11:17 PM - 23 March, 2010
Even Technics is a possibility. I know they tanked on their effort to produce a competitor to the CDJ but could you imagine if Technics made a midi turntable with genuine Technics parts. Same motor. Same built platter, pitch, etc.

Really the only thing they're leaving out is the need for a tonearm/needles.

I'm just throwin stuff out there but this is the kind of stuff we'll hopefully see in the future.

And of course keep your 1200's nice and shiny in your studio where they'll belong while you use the new shit for mobile stuff.
the_black_one 11:19 PM - 23 March, 2010
Quote:
Even Technics is a possibility. I know they tanked on their effort to produce a competitor to the CDJ but could you imagine if Technics made a midi turntable with genuine Technics parts. Same motor. Same built platter, pitch, etc.

I'm just throwin stuff out there but this is the kind of stuff we'll hopefully see in the future.

And of course keep your 1200's nice and shiny in your studio where they'll belong while you use the new shit for mobile stuff.

on the same page homie!
Steve Dub. 11:21 PM - 23 March, 2010
And actually I'm kind of pissed that Technics has discontinued some parts. I recently got a spare set of 1200's and the case has a bunch of stickers and they're just beat up in general. I went to the 1200s parts website and it says that part is discontinued.

My only other options are to have them powdercoated or buy one of those aftermarket covers.
the_black_one 11:23 PM - 23 March, 2010
we just hijacked this MOFO!!!!!!!! sorry......yeah needles and stuf
DJ Dub Cowboy 11:24 PM - 23 March, 2010
I just bought two from this guy. I'll tell you how it goes.

cgi.ebay.com
Turn Table Tennis 11:25 PM - 23 March, 2010
I know we have some mechanical engineers here.... some one make a midi turntable out of a 12X0.
the_black_one 11:29 PM - 23 March, 2010
Quote:
I know we have some mechanical engineers here.... some one make a midi turntable out of a 12X0.

that would be nice. I know that if technics, rane, ecler or radio shack(realistic) j/k would make a such a thing i would buy in a heart beat!
latindj 11:37 PM - 23 March, 2010
Quote:

I could do the mechanical part but we'd need someone to work out the electronics...
C. William 11:38 PM - 23 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

on the same page homie!

i am also on this same page. make it like an industrial strength spinning platter HID controller and the game would be over. seriously.
Turn Table Tennis 11:40 PM - 23 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

I could do the mechanical part but we'd need someone to work out the electronics...

electrical engineers... make some noise. you could be part of the revolution!!
DJ Dub Cowboy 11:43 PM - 23 March, 2010
Quote:

AKIEM did it, I think. Do a search.

The only problem is that tapping on some midi pads is going to make things skip.
Turn Table Tennis 11:45 PM - 23 March, 2010
no i mean turning the platter itself into a midi controller.
the_black_one 11:47 PM - 23 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

on the same page homie!

i am also on this same page. make it like an industrial strength spinning platter HID controller and the game would be over. seriously.

why can't companies read this and make the next million dollar product....

HID full 12 inch moving platter that does not feel like a toy!
latindj 12:16 AM - 24 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

on the same page homie!

why can't companies read this and make the next million dollar product....

HID full 12 inch moving platter that does not feel like a toy!

mainly because there's not much profit in it. if you do the math....let's say you build a technics midi controller that's almost identical to a 1200. it costs 400 bucks to manufacture...you sell it for maybe 1000.00 which leaves you with 600 bucks not counting overhead...so in the long run you make maybe 300 bucks off each controller. You'd have to sell over 3300 of them just to break a mill profit....not to mention very risky business...
Turn Table Tennis 12:21 AM - 24 March, 2010
oh well... i just wish they made the v7 a cd player too. they wouldn't have had to give SL the hid capability and kept it itch only BUT we can stick the control cd in it and still have a very nice cd player.
dJ bMaN 11:03 AM - 25 March, 2010
I tried the NS7 and it's not bad BUT it still isn't a turntable! I am a turntablist until I die! My problem with the NS7, V7 and all of those types of controllers is that they don't have the TORQUE like a 1200 does. The only thing that came close was that Numark CDX. If someone would make a controller with a super strong motor like a 1200, then I MIGHT consider it. One thing is for sure, if Technic comes out with a serato controller, it better not have that big ole display in the middle like the SLDZ1200 or that lag it had after you let the platter go.