DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

So you wanna talk about sucka djs...

dj deedz 11:33 PM - 15 March, 2010
Watchwww.youtube.com
Talk about talent.... check out Tommy Lee.
Hassle 8:27 AM - 16 March, 2010
I wouldn't even know what the hell they are doin?! Some MIDI devices and laptop screens, how's this even DJing?
DJ_Gadabout 2:43 PM - 16 March, 2010
He's been "producing" tracks w/ Deadmau5 for some time now. Been kinda lame to tell you the truth.
But i agree....sucka/ =P
RogerRabbit 2:58 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
I wouldn't even know what the hell they are doin?! Some MIDI devices and laptop screens, how's this even DJing?

You don't have to use TT's or cd players to dj. Plus the crowd looked like they were having fun - in end the that's the job of the dj - to please the crowd.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:00 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

You don't have to use TT's or cd players to dj. Plus the crowd looked like they were having fun - in end the that's the job of the dj - to please the crowd.

so your saying tommy lee could have turned the music off and raw dogged pam anderson or carmen electra on stage and he still would have done his job as a dj?
SELECT 3:06 PM - 16 March, 2010
Ehh, this is no different than Djs using rackmount CD players. Let the push button Djs have their fun.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:12 PM - 16 March, 2010
i think there should be a name for it....how about people that really spin are called DJs and midi push button guys are called club operators
sixxx 3:17 PM - 16 March, 2010
DJing is an art form. There will always be art form immitators. An artist can create an amazing painting and the fake artist will paint by numbers. That's how it is with DJing.
RogerRabbit 3:41 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

so your saying tommy lee could have turned the music off and raw dogged pam anderson or carmen electra on stage and he still would have done his job as a dj?

That would have been a vid worth watching.
RogerRabbit 3:43 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
DJing is an art form. There will always be art form immitators. An artist can create an amazing painting and the fake artist will paint by numbers. That's how it is with DJing.

It's an art form which is rapidly evolving.
Joshua Carl 7:46 PM - 16 March, 2010
I too always turn to painting.
its one of the artforms thats evolved almost in time with music (and if u stretch it, DJing)

Remember when all cartoons were hand-drawn?
all those animators working round the clock to make just 10 minutes of film.
now looks at dreamworks.
its still "hard work" but none of it is done by hand anymore.

so, what do the artists that create paintings with a brush, a piece of chalk, a can of spray paint call the guys who sit infront of a computer making these things?
virtual artists? microwave painters?>
I think Graphic Designer fits most of them.

catch is, most of them know better to walk into the museum of fine art and try to replace crazy stairs with their vector image of a topless DJ licking her lips for 1/8th
the money.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 8:08 PM - 16 March, 2010
Well I've always told Virtual DJ users to make sure that when they annouce their DJ name to make sure they say..... "Virtual DJ ........ So and So....." Instead of DJ ..... So and So....

Then again I am biased... My better half tells me to just let them have fun.
sixxx 11:12 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
I too always turn to painting.
its one of the artforms thats evolved almost in time with music (and if u stretch it, DJing)

Remember when all cartoons were hand-drawn?
all those animators working round the clock to make just 10 minutes of film.
now looks at dreamworks.
its still "hard work" but none of it is done by hand anymore.

so, what do the artists that create paintings with a brush, a piece of chalk, a can of spray paint call the guys who sit infront of a computer making these things?
virtual artists? microwave painters?>
I think Graphic Designer fits most of them.

catch is, most of them know better to walk into the museum of fine art and try to replace crazy stairs with their vector image of a topless DJ licking her lips for 1/8th
the money.

But there is a difference in knowing your art form even if you're using it digitally.

For instance, dreamworks artists are still artists. Everything gets laid out on paper THEN created digitally. Or, even if they're created digitally from the get go. They're artists. There's no way someone who doesn't know how to draw could come up with the stuff they come up with. My comparison to a wack DJ would be a digital artist using Microsoft Paint. lol

Same with DJing. You have those who know the art form. They use these other tools (MIDI and such) to add to their art form. But, they won't just go MIDI all the way or get lazy and never really do any actual "DJ Work" or they would just play a mixed CD and call it a day.
flipmo8064 11:26 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
i think there should be a name for it....how about people that really spin are called DJs and midi push button guys are called club operators

Here we go again with the whole hip hop dj vs edm and to clarify, it's not "Dj" Deadmau5. Its just Deadmau5. For the most part he plays tracks that he produced. What would that make him other then richer then all of us?
flipmo8064 11:32 PM - 16 March, 2010
Bezzle, my post wasn't directed towards you. Just happened to us your quote ;)
djbanno 12:19 AM - 17 March, 2010
Deadmau5 has never claimed to be a dj.
In fact he goes out of his way to say he is NOT a dj.
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:50 AM - 17 March, 2010
Quote:
Bezzle, my post wasn't directed towards you. Just happened to us your quote ;)

thats what their there for