Off-topic Discussion

That which does not fit elsewhere. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

just bought my first macbook.. need help now

DJ Infiniti 3:09 AM - 4 March, 2010
any hints or tips... ive been using a PC this whole time.. so things i should know or quick hints and tips?
BERTO 3:37 AM - 4 March, 2010
keyboard commands are awesome
u can hide screens, show all, control itunes the works
CMOS 4:04 AM - 4 March, 2010
djbanno 12:22 PM - 4 March, 2010
see konix's vid for library move from windows to mac.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 1:38 PM - 4 March, 2010

+1

just remember, let the Mac just do it's thing, don't try and control it like a PC. Shit just works (logically) most of the time.
Dj.Mojo 3:28 PM - 4 March, 2010
You should get a little app called cafeine.
For recording the "audio recorder" is great.
For taggin I recommend tune instructor.
For ripping CDs use MAX. It is the best.
Wazo 7:03 PM - 4 March, 2010
welcome to the best thing youll ever expeience. your whole life will change now.

"take the best day of your like. and put it in your mouth" lol
Culprit 8:20 PM - 4 March, 2010
Dj.Mojo 8:22 PM - 4 March, 2010
THAT´S WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!!!
CMOS 8:37 PM - 4 March, 2010
Quote:

+1

just remember, let the Mac just do it's thing, don't try and control it like a PC. Shit just works (logically) most of the time.

I hate this piece of advice. Its basically saying be an idiot. LEARN YOUR MACHINE EVEN IF IT "JUST WORKS".

lol
Dj.Mojo 10:30 PM - 4 March, 2010
you better do. Apple gave me lots of issues. Just like windows did. Computers are like women, hard to understand.
BERTO 11:21 PM - 4 March, 2010
yea apples are 6 foot blondes that dont complain, pcs are obese sickly women that always give u a hard time lol lets not start a mac v.s. pc thread
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:25 AM - 5 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

+1

I hate this piece of advice. Its basically saying be an idiot. LEARN YOUR MACHINE EVEN IF IT "JUST WORKS".

lol

Naw, what I am saying is PC users want to do shit that doesn't need doing because that is all they know. Macs do some internal housekeeping on the regular that is built into the OS. PC users may feel the need to Defrag, empty and clean temp files, etc, etc, etc,

PC users may want to install Apps outside of the Applications folder. There is also a overall System Library and a Library for individual users that stores Prefs and settings based on the individual User. A PC user may want or feel the need to control shit like that,

All I am saying is until you get to know the Mac OS, and you FEEL you NEED to know more stuff like that, just let the OS do what it does. Most PC users (that I have met here) get frustrated because they want or feel they need to control the computer like they did their PC to keep it running smooth and virus/problem free.

When I was 16 and just learning to Drive, I didn't really want to know how to change my Oil, put brake fluid in, or replace a headlight, I just wanted to know how to put gas in so I can roll with my homies to go to the Skating Rink or Mall and meet bitches.

I'm just saying until he gets familiar with the Mac OS, just put gas in the car and know where the Brake, Gas Pedal and windshield wipers are. He doesn't need to know how to tweek a carb or adjust the Fuel Injection - just let it do what it do....
locked groove 6:26 PM - 9 March, 2010
as for some software to grab for Mac (cause there is far less of it)

-you'll probably want Firefox is you don't have it already.
-also VLC Player is what you need to play almost any video including DivX
-I have a program called Switch for encoding audio files which may or may not be free
-also on a Mac be sure to download a program for .rar files which are not supported out of the box. I use the free StuffIt Expander
DJ Infiniti 12:12 AM - 10 March, 2010
thx locked groove,

i agree there arent as many programs from what i have found so far.. i got the ones you listed.. one more that i thought was good was a program called wine bottler.. which allows you to run windows programs without having a windows OS installed.. it somehow allows the mac os to understand exe files which is pretty cool.. cuz a program that i really liked is called mp3tag that i couldnt find anything close to for a mac

cheers
Culprit 6:54 PM - 10 March, 2010
bootcamp would be preferred and well worth the purchase Infinite. Check it out.
FunkyRob 6:51 PM - 18 March, 2010
Never heard of wine bottler, I have parallels installed though I hardly use it. Was going to use it for putting songs on sd cards for my obsolete DZ1200 decks, but with the computer never crashing on me I don't need it.
DJ Guayo 9:02 PM - 18 March, 2010
try out quicksilver too..