DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

2.0 Flanger Effect Help!

spirez 2:16 PM - 3 March, 2010
Has anyone managed to alter the preset so that it sounds like the standard type of flanger/jet effect you'd get on a pio mixer?

I want that wide sweep without the oscillation so it sounds like a jet plane flying by but cant get it right!

You can just make out the type of effect i mean around 1 minute into this vid, particularly around 1:20

You can also hear the traktor version around 3:30.

I know it's a bit played out but i want a flanger like this!
Konix 2:30 PM - 3 March, 2010
Well, I think that's what everyone wants/expects the flanger to sound like (i.e Pioneer's flanger), unfortunately, that's just not how SSL 2.0's flanger sounds like. No amount of parameter tweaking will get it to sound like Pio's, they need to change the entire flanger algorithm itself.
spirez 3:23 PM - 3 March, 2010
Heh, i didnt even post the link to the vid! For those that dont know what i'm on about. @ 1:20 and 3:30

Watchwww.youtube.com

Excuse the crazy German

OK cool, if it's not possible at the moment i'll hold tight. I just thought it might have been like the HPF/LPF issue where everyone thought it sucked but we just had to remove the LFO.
Marine 8:48 AM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
Well, I think that's what everyone wants/expects the flanger to sound like (i.e Pioneer's flanger), unfortunately, that's just not how SSL 2.0's flanger sounds like. No amount of parameter tweaking will get it to sound like Pio's, they need to change the entire flanger algorithm itself.

I agree they need to change the whole flanger it sounds horrible nothing like pioneers flanger
Dj.Mojo 9:17 AM - 16 March, 2010
IsnĀ“t it because Pioneer uses a negative Flange and Rane a positive one?
Dj No Name 10:25 AM - 16 March, 2010
I find all the effercts in ssl are pretty useless
djbanno 12:22 PM - 16 March, 2010
i use effects a bit and i find SSL works as good as or better than my Kaos pad.
i am only new to midi tho...
spirez 12:25 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:

Compared to what? For a free FX processor it's great.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:42 PM - 16 March, 2010
i dont care for any of the effects really, my mixer has built in effects that acutually sound like the effect advertised, the 2.0 effects are rarley noticable in my experience
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:42 PM - 16 March, 2010
props to serato for putting them in though A for effort
Dj.Mojo 2:54 PM - 16 March, 2010
Being there is what matters! lol
Dj No Name 3:59 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Compared to what i have in my mixers, djm 800 and djm 909. Also the pioneer effects units sound much better.

serato effects = fail
Wazo 4:41 PM - 16 March, 2010
stop your bitchin. never good enough is it.

serato effects=progression, free updates, more flexibility, etc, etc... the opposite of fail.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:42 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
stop your bitchin. never good enough is it.

yoda??
Wazo 4:58 PM - 16 March, 2010
hahahahha it was a question. ???????
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:04 PM - 16 March, 2010
wise the question was effects in it they are, for serato there is no try only DO
spirez 7:44 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Compared to what i have in my mixers, djm 800 and djm 909. Also the pioneer effects units sound much better.

serato effects = fail

And when was the last time they were free? Oh that's right, they weren't. In fact they cost you a fair whack of money.

It's pretty much a no-brainer that a dedicated FX unit will be better, but for those of us who don't have an FX mixer/unit and don't use FX enough to warrant buying one, the SSL addition is bang on the money.

If i were an FX whore i'd look into something else. But i'm nots, so i'm happy ;)
bgardali 9:51 PM - 16 March, 2010
So far I'm only using the high pass, low pass, and repeater FXs but these are fantastic. I currently use a djm 400 which has effects, but not a dedicated HP and LP filter. Having these effects for free in SSL is such a help making smooth transitions. Thank you Serato.
Serato
Sean.C 10:57 PM - 16 March, 2010
Kia Ora...

As users of Serato software you all know that we are always striving to improve things, receiving some constructive critiques and both positive and negative feedback from you is an intrinsic part of that improvement process. If there are more specific and detailed points you want to raise re the effects then please do so, we are all ears.

cheers!

S