DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Novation Launchpad with Serato?

KYLE SMILE 5:10 PM - 23 February, 2010
Hey all,

I've got a Launchpad and use it as a midi controller for serato. Problem is, i want it to light up when i'm using it and maybe be able to set the colours of the buttons for the operation i'm using it for. Anyone else have a similar problem and know how to do it?
Turn Table Tennis 5:32 PM - 23 February, 2010
serato doesn't have midi out as far as i know.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:37 PM - 23 February, 2010
Quote:
serato doesn't have midi out as far as i know.

correct
aj5000 5:47 PM - 23 February, 2010
Check out Konix's Scratch Live Video Tutorial in the last few he shows how to do it and work around this problem with other programs...
KYLE SMILE 10:30 AM - 26 February, 2010
Where's the tutorial aj? Cheers.
an-D 7:17 AM - 6 October, 2010
you can get whatever you want to light up using automap ;)
Anu 8:09 PM - 6 October, 2010
DJLRock 9:05 PM - 6 October, 2010
midi pipe
kryptonitednb 1:15 PM - 7 October, 2010

Do you use this program? If so, what has your experience been?
inverse 2:19 PM - 7 October, 2010
I use Katapult, on Mac.

It took me a minute to figure out exactly how to edit the text file that manages the mapping, colors, etc. But I've been happy with it since I've got it running.

The prob with the software is that it's written by one guy, who seems to have disappeared....
kryptonitednb 3:59 PM - 7 October, 2010
Hey is there something that you guys like about this program vs. Automap software that comes with the Launchpad
Sergio De Flaviis 10:38 AM - 4 March, 2011
hi there,
i am using ssl1+Katapult with launchpad. can somebody say me why the rotation-buttons dont work with my launchpad faders? Anyone else have a similar problem and know how to do it?
an-D 1:52 AM - 8 March, 2011
Quote:
hi there,
i am using ssl1+Katapult with launchpad. can somebody say me why the rotation-buttons dont work with my launchpad faders? Anyone else have a similar problem and know how to do it?

I'm also using SSL1 + Katapult + Launchpad now.

I have a couple of Y faders that are 4 buttons long and they are assigned to the EFX knobs, work well for me!

Depending how many buttons you assign to the fader will depend how granular your increments can be.

how to: (considering you have already setup a x/y fader in Katapult.)

- in the midi map mode - select the paramater you want to map (efx knob etc)
- Push the first and last buttons of the range you want to assign the parameter to on your Launchpad
- Now those buttons control the knob.

super fun happy times!
Helmut J 2:37 PM - 14 May, 2011
Any possibility someone could do an automap tutorial to be able to answer the initial question in the thread? Mapping isn't a problem, but lighting up the launchpad is...
an-D 2:19 AM - 15 May, 2011
Quote:
Any possibility someone could do an automap tutorial to be able to answer the initial question in the thread? Mapping isn't a problem, but lighting up the launchpad is...

I managed to get the buttons to light up with the launchpad and a blank template and messing with the values at the bottom of the window but it was extremely limited (only colour was dimmed red) which is why I now use midiKatapult as its replacement to make pretty colours etc etc.
dj ultan 9:59 PM - 19 January, 2012
I have a template written up if anybody wants it
DodgerLBK 1:14 AM - 1 February, 2012
Quote:

Yes i would love to have that!
Win 12:38 PM - 28 June, 2012
Quote:

Yes, please! Please let me know how I can get it. Thanks very much!
AP3X Garrett 8:53 PM - 11 June, 2013
Ive been getting a grip with Serato and the Launchpad. The way i did it was i opened ableton with 8 midi tracks in and the lights i wanted i double clicked the empty slot to put a blank midi clip into that slot. Then i mapped the buttons in serato and kept the ableton file open in the background.
Dj_Nix 2:49 PM - 12 June, 2013
Not trying to hijack the thread can someone suggest MIDI controllers. I want to be flexible. For now its just to trigger effects and change parameters and drops. Soon I'll try w/ bridge. Which ones are most useful to you. Also, are there any with multifunctional/layered buttons? I want pads and faders and knobs.

MIDIpipe vs katapult vs whatever else works to get the lights going?
Dj_Nix 7:40 PM - 12 June, 2013
ok so katapult only works w/ ipads? i'm in-between the kontrol f1, the xone x2 and the novation twitch. i like the material/size/multi colors of the pads and size of the f1, the twitch for the price gives the most button plus can be standalone but its bigger than the other two. and the x2 has more buttons/knobs than f1.