Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Video Freezes, Audio Keeps Playing

Product
Video-SL
Version
Video-SL
Scratch Live
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
DJPauly 2:25 AM - 23 February, 2010
Product: video-sl
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.5.4
---

Mac, OSX 10.5.4
2.5 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB 667 MHz RAM
Serato 1.9.2, Video 1.1 (I think)
Audio Cache: 15 sec
USB buffer: 10

Video is freezing on me while audio is still playing. I was able to Cmd (apple)-Alt-Esc to force quit the video while audio still playing and bring it back up occasionally. I noticed when it freezes if I click on the Video Tab it is completely blank in there and shows the same dark gray color on the Serato background. Help, I have a major video show in a couple weeks. Do i need more RAM, should I upgrade my computer?
DJ Tecoy 3:08 AM - 23 February, 2010
I am having the same problem.
Mac OSX 10.6.2
2.93 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3

Serato 1.9.2
Video-SL 1.1

In the middle of a set, the video will freeze for a few seconds, then will unfreeze & jump to match the song. I am the main VJ in the club on more than 45 TV's. A fix to this would be great.

Thanks.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 4:36 PM - 23 February, 2010
Make sure the 1.1.1 version of Video-SL is installed. You can find the version of Video-SL within the Video-SL setup Control tab.

After updating to the 1.1.1 version of Video-SL, if needed, do this:

Open SSL

Launch Video-SL

Under the middle Preview window within the Video-SL panel, click Setup

To the right you should see three tabs (Output, Performance, and Control)

Within the Output tab, make sure the Quality setting is at Medium (having it set to Best can over-tax your system)

Go to the Performance tab and adjust the memory buffer to 1 GB

Retest

Any better?
DJPauly 3:22 AM - 24 February, 2010
I tried that tonight and still had a few videos freeze on me. It seems to happen every 20 minutes or so. Could it be specific videos or something? I ordered more memory? When I get that installed, should I increase memory buffer to 2 gb?
Rane, Support
Shaun W 4:37 PM - 24 February, 2010
Try narrowing down the problem to specific videos. If the problem occurs every 20 minutes, there could be a background process interrupting Video-SL. Make sure all other applications and wireless Internet features are disabled.

Adding more RAM might do the trick. It definitely won't hurt :)
DJPauly 3:52 AM - 25 February, 2010
I have all processes turned off and only run Serato on the machine. 20 minutes was just a guesstimate. I just noticed that I'd be playing for a while, it would freeze, then I'd have to force quite, play a while, force quit...etc

I did find two videos that Serato will consistently freeze on. Video freezes, but audio keeps playing. Would it help if I uploaded these videos?
Rane, Support
Shaun W 4:42 PM - 25 February, 2010
Yes, please upload them to this thread by clicking on the Attach A File link :)
12:57 AM, 26 Feb 2010
DJPauly attached a file: Sean_Paul_-_Temperature_(Xtendz)_-_Clean.mp4
Download· Permalink
1:47 AM, 26 Feb 2010
DJPauly attached a file: DJFreebird_DJSkillz_Never_Gonna_Give_Up_Electro_130.mp4
Download· Permalink
DJPauly 1:51 AM - 26 February, 2010
The Sean Paul freezes up on me about 14 seconds in.
DJPauly 4:54 AM - 5 March, 2010
Bump. Any other suggestions?
Rane, Support
Shaun W 5:28 PM - 5 March, 2010
I was able to give the Sean Paul track a play and it's super tweaked man :( The video plays crazy fast while the audio plays fine, not good.

If possible, find a new Sean Paul video file, because this one is trashed.
marx 8:54 AM - 6 March, 2010
interesting because I tested the file & it was fine, but it was tested on 2.0

So Pauly like I said I would try to download the same one again, its possible the file got corrupted in some way (but Shauns descriptions is a weird one).

Next week there will be a new version up anyway that will be extended. The single was already redone this week. Not because of this problem but because the old one was 640x480 when it should've been 640x360....but we are talking pre serato days.
Razor 7:26 PM - 15 March, 2010
I am having the same problem since i changed over to snow lep & beta 2.0 macbook pro 4 gigs Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
external lace rugged 500gb

I am using the same videos i used before the beta.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 9:01 PM - 15 March, 2010
If the problem only occurs when using the 2.0 beta and not the 1.9.2 version. You should definitely post your findings within the 2.0 Public Beta discussion area here -->> www.scratchlive.net
1:21 AM, 2 Aug 2010
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.