Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

LEFT CHANNEL ON LINE 2 DOES NOT WORK

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
chunes 5:33 PM - 22 January, 2005
I was mixing at the club with my rane serato, and to my horror. the left channel on the Line 2, stopped working. So I had a feed for the right channels for Line 2 but not for the left channel. The channel for Line 1 was perfectly fine. I played a regular vinyl in phono on the side that was only had 1 channel working, and it was kosher on TT2. I tried everything, switching wires, switching channels. NADA. and i was switching the wires DURING my set at 1:30am in the morning.

What is wrong? Please do not tell me my serato is bugged.

DJ CHUNES
bartaug 6:42 PM - 22 January, 2005
Could it be contact problem on the element at the turntable?
chunes 7:40 PM - 22 January, 2005
Thats what i thought it was at first, however, i was using regular vinyl afterwards and it was working fine. But the second i switched it back, no go.
BassChamber 7:43 PM - 22 January, 2005
really weird! if your problem persists, maybe your SSL box has a rca connection problem... but dont really know :S
djpetey 9:00 PM - 22 January, 2005
did you try restarting ssl? i had this problem once and im pretty sure we chalked it up as a result of a corrupt mp3.... anyway, whatever the cause was, restarting ssl fixed it.... I just put a regular record on that side and restarted the app.... have you tried that?
nik39 1:27 PM - 23 January, 2005
chunes, I didnt quite understand.. are you saying, you were playing an mp3 and since that mp3 one sde on the left was not playing at all anymore? Did you try restarting SSL?
nik39 1:27 PM - 23 January, 2005
Oh, uhm, sorry, djpetey was aiming at the same point.
chunes 4:39 PM - 23 January, 2005
yes i was using MP3's but the one i was using, i had used before and worked perfectly fine before. It is working now, however, I am trying to recreate that problem, it has happened twice so far. Once at home, and once at the club. I am trying to isolate what caused this so that I can figure out how to fix it.
nik39 5:31 PM - 23 January, 2005
Restarting .. Did you try? Did it help?
chunes 6:06 PM - 23 January, 2005
Problem is, I restart serato, or my computer. I never tried restarting the serato program when playing with actual vinyl. Also, I cannot restart my computer when playing live, since we use actual vinyl, and since the phono's r coming thru the serato box, it would inhibit usage of real vinyl.
chunes 6:14 PM - 23 January, 2005
right now i am trying to recreate the problem, and see what i can do to fix it.
nobspangle 6:30 PM - 23 January, 2005
get a power supply for the scratch box, then you can reboot the PC whilst playing vinyl.
nik39 7:16 PM - 23 January, 2005
chunes, to find out whats the cause... try restarting SSLs app. Dont worry, if you got an external powersupply for your SSL box, you can still play vinyl no matter what happens.
chunes 12:28 AM - 24 January, 2005
oh sweet. What are the power supply specs that i should get? Where would you recommend i pick one up?
nik39 12:37 AM - 24 January, 2005
Read the FAQs on the rane site, or check the manual, its all said there.
Revolutionary 7:51 AM - 24 January, 2005
Or just get a 9V 300mA power supply ;) Of course, it doesn't matter if you get more than 300 mA...
muttley 8:48 AM - 26 January, 2005
Chunes - This exact same thing happened to me over the weekend. Nothing coming from the right turntable, left channel. Regular vinyl worked fine and i triple checked all rca connections - definitely not that. I did a restart and it worked fine thereafter. So what could have caused it? I don't remember what song i was playing when it happened so I cant really check for corrupt mp3. Lets figure this out, because i dont want it to happen again.
chunes 4:56 AM - 4 February, 2005
Muttley, I spoke to a guy from Rane tech support. He says it was a corrupt mp3, and it can temporarily disable the software that runs it. The solution to that is to reboot your computer and it should work fine. As a precautionary measure, I picked up an adapter, so that in that case, i can slap on a real record while I reboot my laptop. Take a look at tip and tricks section of this forum, there is a software called ashampoo, and it is great at picking up and fixing corrupt mp3's. I am pretty sure that this is what happened.
SpinThis! 3:11 PM - 4 February, 2005
1.3 will be much better in that respect when dealing with corrupt mp3s.
nik39 4:19 PM - 4 February, 2005
Quote:
The solution to that is to reboot your computer and it should work fine

Usually restarting SSL is enough.
chunes 4:49 PM - 4 February, 2005
is 1.3 out yet?
nik39 4:54 PM - 4 February, 2005
No, but everytime a new SSL version comes out, my little finger on my left hand starts to itch... And its been itching since yesterday. Might be that a new version is coming soon? Tonight? Tomorrow? Sunday? Monday? ;-)
Revolutionary 8:41 PM - 4 February, 2005
Reminds me of when I used to play all these games. We would get together on AIM and stuff and just wait for patches and new content all night. Of course, in most cases, we got nothing. Nerds...
BassChamber 12:47 PM - 5 February, 2005
Quote:
Quote:
The solution to that is to reboot your computer and it should work fine

Usually restarting SSL is enough.

and sometimes not!!! unfortunatelly some corrupt mp3s force you to reboot your computer!!

that is, some corrupt mp3 make SSL to behave weird (left channel crash) even restarting it! and when this happens, your only option is to reboot your computer...

weird and disgusting :S
Diva 2:11 PM - 5 February, 2005
Quote:
No, but everytime a new SSL version comes out, my little finger on my left hand starts to itch... And its been itching since yesterday.

LOL :-) ...I wish I had a psychic finger! Man that's special powers.