DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Transferring key data from comments column to key column

bgardali 7:00 AM - 11 February, 2010
I've always written the key info for my songs in the comments column so I can see them in itunes. However, I can't see the key info displayed up by my decks in Serato if the info is the comments box and not in the key box. Is there any quick way to transfer this data over (like a select-all/paste-all kinda thing)? It would be nice to not have to do it one at a time. Anyone else run into this? Thanks.
The Return of Dj Sparky 9:49 AM - 11 February, 2010
Dont know about copying and pasting but you should grab mixed in key it will write the key to the proper place
lil vito 11:19 AM - 11 February, 2010
Use mp3tag from www.mp3tag.de
in the actions menu, create an action using "guess values" as the type.
Set %comment% as the source value, and %initialkey% as the destination value.
bgardali 5:25 PM - 11 February, 2010
Quote:
Dont know about copying and pasting but you should grab mixed in key it will write the key to the proper place

I do use mixed in key but I wasn't having it write the key info into the key tag. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Use mp3tag from www.mp3tag.de
in the actions menu, create an action using "guess values" as the type.
Set %comment% as the source value, and %initialkey% as the destination value.

Thanks, this is exactly what I was hoping I could do. I will check this out.
lil vito 11:32 PM - 11 February, 2010
Hit me on pm if u need help with it.... I have been using mp3tag for years now... probably the best tagging app on windows...
And before anyone else chimes in, I purchased mediamonkey also, and IMO mp3tag (which is free) sheets all over mediamonkey for tagging...
Mediamonkey is great at everything, but not quite as good for tagging as mp3tag...
bgardali 11:33 PM - 11 February, 2010
lil vito- drats! is mp3tag only for windows? I'm on mac. Do you know of any mac alternatives?
lil vito 3:10 AM - 12 February, 2010
If you install parallels, mp3tag can be used on a mac with no problems man...
lil vito 3:13 AM - 12 February, 2010
Apparently it also works with crossover mac ( www.codeweavers.com ).
This would be better than parallels, as they offer much better support.
the_black_one 3:14 AM - 12 February, 2010
Quote:
If you install parallels, mp3tag can be used on a mac with no problems man...

there has to be a better cheaper way of doing it.
Turn Table Tennis 3:17 AM - 12 February, 2010
if the key is the only thing in your comments, sort by comments, highlight all the tracks in the same key, double click key, and type the key in. should get a message asking if you want to edit all tags, then click yes.
bgardali 3:18 AM - 12 February, 2010
Quote:
if the key is the only thing in your comments, sort by comments, highlight all the tracks in the same key, double click key, and type the key in. should get a message asking if you want to edit all tags, then click yes.

Nice! Trying this now.
Turn Table Tennis 3:18 AM - 12 February, 2010
or you might be able to type the key in the search box and everything tagged with that key should come up. select all and edit.
the_black_one 3:19 AM - 12 February, 2010
Quote:

nice!
lil vito 3:19 AM - 12 February, 2010
actually man.... if your on a mac, you should be able to use an applescript to do this...
gimme a sec, i will post one for you...
the_black_one 3:19 AM - 12 February, 2010
dugs applescript
lil vito 3:27 AM - 12 February, 2010
Yeps..
dougscripts.com
Use that one... it has four scripts... the one you want is "Swap This With That"
bgardali 3:29 AM - 12 February, 2010
Awesome. I'm on it.
bgardali 3:36 AM - 12 February, 2010
Done and done. Wow that was easy. Thanks everyone!
the_black_one 4:24 AM - 12 February, 2010
perfect!
lil vito 5:04 AM - 12 February, 2010
Great to hear man!