DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

2.0 effects

Z0nkers 2:45 AM - 11 February, 2010
okie, so the effects look pretty nice as far as being able to customize the sound. for a moment when i saw everything pop, i thought i'd perhaps wasted money on the pioneer efx 500. BUT...im happy to say that i dont think at this point the efx500 or 1000 is obsolete.

what i am curious about though is....to be able to use these 2.0 effects properly, it would require MIDI of some sort. i have the denon hc1000s on order, it's going to take 6 weeks by the time i paid for it and the time it comes. denon has to MAKE more units! so what the long wait? i wonder....is it because denon decided that with 2.0 their 1.9 controller was going to be obsolete so they decided to stop making them? should i cancell the order and buy another MIDI controller to jerry-rig a serato control with?

i really liked the layout and everythgn about the denon, i was so excited to order it...but now im thinking i should cancell cause its not going to be able to handle the 2.0 effects.

any thoughts on what controller to get for 2.0?
Konix 2:54 AM - 11 February, 2010
Quote:
any thoughts on what controller to get for 2.0?

Traktor Kontrol X1.
VJ Justin Allen 2:56 AM - 11 February, 2010
I agree with Konix. I just received mine yesterday and based on my limited playtime with it, it rocks.
RogerRabbit 2:56 AM - 11 February, 2010
Denon does not have to make another unit... I would cancel the Denon and get a unit that is more suited for the use of the effects..
DJWALDO 4:11 AM - 11 February, 2010
just looking at the x1... unless its a lot bigger than the pictures lead me to believe it may actually be a perfect solution...
frost-9 4:16 AM - 11 February, 2010
the X1 looks OK... I'm not crazy about the fact that it's a vertical setup.. may hold out a bit. i'm in no rush to install 2.0
djdragon 4:20 AM - 11 February, 2010
What about the nanoKONTROL? There are enough control knobs and sliders that would match up with the 2.0 effects.
Z0nkers 5:03 AM - 11 February, 2010
problem is that not all controllers are completely friendly with all softwares. while i was waiting for the denon controller, i tried to jerry rig SSL to my novation 2sl 5 mk2. i set the cue set + triggers to the keys which was seriously awesome....but not all the buttons or knobs wanted to work with ssl.

i dont really care for the vertical layout of the X1 either.... but the one thing it does have going for it considering none of us have actually tried to map it to 2.9 yet...is that it advertises it is compatable with ssl.

how com[atable will it be? will it be possible to just take any of its knobs or buttons in regular or shifted (midi) mode and assign them to absolutley anything we feel like in ssl? ..if so, i think it would be worth picking up 2 of them for 3 or 4 deck control. one on each side of the mixer.

my 1st choice would beif denon makes a new controller....but without any word from them on it, im not going to wait & will cancel my order.

also... the nice thing about the X1 is that it is opening compatable with other softwares. the one thing that bugs me the most about ssl is that its soooo locked into compatability on many levels. thats the reason why i never bought a mac, is cause once you own one....you're pretty much stuck with mac compatability and mac parts and have to buy what mac tells you to buy with less options and competition. so not that i intend to ever jump ship... but the X1 does offer that option if for one reason or another i do decide to switch software one day
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:59 PM - 11 February, 2010
i dont think the effects in 2.0 warrant a controller, especially if you have an efx unit.......the effects kinda suck
VJ Justin Allen 2:48 PM - 11 February, 2010
As to the vertical layout I cannot believe how nice it fits (and feels) between my mixer and my DVJ. (suppose I should say no homo) The Denon always felt out of place in my set-up.
Evil_banana 3:42 PM - 11 February, 2010
I think I'll be looking into the Novation zero sl mk II
(www.novationmusic.com)
shitload of buttons to trigger cue points, loops, autoloops, effects, samplers, lot's of knobs to turn. And with a little bit of looking it's configurable to use for both Ableton and Serato simultaneously and have LCD-feedback using the Automap software.

Unfortunately it's a bigass unit.
Evil_banana 3:43 PM - 11 February, 2010
"A little bit of luck" was what I meant :o)
enoise 4:59 PM - 11 February, 2010
Any midi controller with knobs and some pads will work for the effects, I'm getting Korg Drum Pad Tomorrow, x-y pad will be fun for eccects.
enoise 4:59 PM - 11 February, 2010
effects***
DJ Val-BKNY11203 5:55 PM - 11 February, 2010
(thinking out loud to the Serato Overlookers)

Can you find a way to send a pulse of electricity to everyone who types about 2.0 until it's released?
DJS/R 5:58 PM - 11 February, 2010
Quote:

Can you find a way to send a pulse of electricity to everyone who types about 2.0 until it's released?

hmmm, scratchlive.net hmmmm.

Now what were you saying about electricity again?
DJ Val-BKNY11203 6:02 PM - 11 February, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

hmmm, scratchlive.net hmmmm.

Now what were you saying about electricity again?

Well...ummm...err...ahhh...what I had meant....was...ummm...carry on.

LOL
Z0nkers 6:03 PM - 11 February, 2010
Quote:
I think I'll be looking into the Novation zero sl mk II
(www.novationmusic.com)
shitload of buttons to trigger cue points, loops, autoloops, effects, samplers, lot's of knobs to turn. And with a little bit of looking it's configurable to use for both Ableton and Serato simultaneously and have LCD-feedback using the Automap software.

Unfortunately it's a bigass unit.

don't do it. lol. i tried mapping it to serato and it had a lot of issues that made it awkward and only functional for some parts. its great for ableton, but a huge dissapointment for ssl
The Return of Dj Sparky 6:29 PM - 11 February, 2010
I bet serato and rane or some other manafacurer has something in the pipeline for ssl,
if not they should, all serato heads would purchase a ssl midi controler
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:30 PM - 11 February, 2010
Quote:
I bet serato and rane or some other manafacurer has something in the pipeline for ssl,

evidence dosent back that up
DJ Goce 7:23 PM - 11 February, 2010
Akai LPD8 maps great, and you can use the knobs to activate the FX, i mean no need for on/off, just turn it to minimum for no EFX, works great on LPF, Delay etc. plus the pads on the LPD8 are great, only time will tell about the quality, my NanoPad started to act funny after using it 4-5 times, hope Akai will last....
the_black_one 7:25 PM - 11 February, 2010
Quote:
As to the vertical layout I cannot believe how nice it fits (and feels) between my mixer and my DVJ. (suppose I should say no homo) The Denon always felt out of place in my set-up.

that has been my point all along
djhefner 7:32 PM - 11 February, 2010
I am picking up my X1 today at Guitar Center!!
djcrap 10:36 PM - 11 February, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

rumor has it they are working with Apple Final cut pro for video next
djcrap 10:38 PM - 11 February, 2010
^^^^^ will be the next bridge...lol
djcrap 10:39 PM - 11 February, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Dj-M.Bezzle 10:51 PM - 11 February, 2010
that would be AWSOME!!!
the_black_one 10:52 PM - 11 February, 2010
need to know, With the 57, are the efx post or pre faders?
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:53 PM - 11 February, 2010
pre
the_black_one 10:56 PM - 11 February, 2010
that sux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope they dont change the efx because the efx now are post faders on 1.9
bgardali 10:57 PM - 11 February, 2010
Quote:

This would be awesome but they would be cutting off all non Mac users doing so.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:59 PM - 11 February, 2010
Quote:
that sux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope they dont change the efx because the efx now are post faders on 1.9

i take that back i didnt see you say 57, im not sure on that it may be post
the_black_one 11:04 PM - 11 February, 2010
post faders makes all the difference in the world to me. Thats the reason i dont use SL1 or SL3, because the efx on the 57 are post fader,the other option is a mixer that has stand alone efx where the mixer will give you the post fader.

This Sux, you can rock 3 decks but no post fader efx!!!! aint that some shit!

saving money for a 68(better have post fader fx) i assuming by the youtube vids that it does
the_black_one 11:08 PM - 11 February, 2010
hold on........ i think you can send the efx to one of the sl3 channels! so it 3 decks or post fader efx!

take your pic
the_black_one 11:08 PM - 11 February, 2010
pic = pick
Anu 11:12 PM - 11 February, 2010
ZOnkers ...are you using automap pro ..? if not you should.... that sl is fine with serato ...
Z0nkers 11:35 PM - 11 February, 2010
i didnt try auto map pro for ssl, but i also just went out today and bought the kontrol x1 to solve that issue. the controls on the novation 25sl mk2 were kinda all over the place anyways....so im not gonna waste my time trying to do it better at his point.

so i was thinking...the denon controler is great for 2 decks, but cause i plan to use 3 decks now with the sl3 the denon controller may not be up to par considering that the x1 can be linked to use two of them. i dunno if thats possible with the denon...so i just went out and made a choice to go with the x1 cause it also has enough knobs etc to handle enough of the 2.0 efx...and if i dont bother with the 2.0 efx, then the x1 should be open enough to more options down the road as ssl upgrades and adds features

it just appears to be more flexible 7 the store had one on hand, so for the price i said took it

got to admit, the x1 is HUGE! haha, i love that actually though. dont want tiny little hard to see/use buttons in a rush
Anu 11:43 PM - 11 February, 2010
Coo...the x1 getting popular quick....
Anu 11:47 PM - 11 February, 2010
my nanos are doing very well wit 2.0 since 20035 .....

i629.photobucket.com