DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Do you have all the songs from your record pool?

a DJ 11:53 PM - 7 February, 2010
Do you have all of your record pool's songs?? ...
westell54 12:14 AM - 8 February, 2010
Yep. Now, I have to go through and delete a lot of them. Running out of hard drive space.
ninos 1:01 AM - 8 February, 2010
i do, i download everything from my pool. its always better to have it.
dirrtyharri 3:37 AM - 8 February, 2010
i get as much as i can .. they download in zip files .. i unzip them all .. and delete the one's i don't/ will not play .. i keep all the zip files on back-up HD's incase my comp ever decides to crash .. this way i don't have to panic trying to find those "rare tracks" and rebuild my library ..
DJ NoNseNse 4:31 AM - 8 February, 2010
I only download what I like or what I think would work.
djchope 4:35 AM - 8 February, 2010
Quote:

same here
C. William 5:59 AM - 8 February, 2010
Quote:

that's what i do

there's too much shitty music for me to download it all
gotchuckz 6:01 AM - 8 February, 2010
+1 too much bullshit fillers.
Musically Minded 2:40 PM - 8 February, 2010
Quote:

+1
djemkay 4:55 PM - 8 February, 2010
only whats good cuz there is some stuff out there thats just trash
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 5:16 PM - 8 February, 2010
Quote:

And what about when they request that suck ass song that u passed on and it becomes the next big hit and what happens when you don't have it?

"You DJ so bad...." LOL

Problem with my main pool (idjpool) is that we get a ton of shit, but no previews (but also no ratings and fast bulk downloads - click and walk away). It's set up like a real Record Pool from the vinyl days, you can take everything you are serviced (theoritically) and you decide to break it or lean it up against the wall. Drive space is cheap

For the Urban, I usually just download the Dirty Version and Instrumetals (plus Dj Intro/Outro) first - come back later and grab the Radio/Clean and/or Accapella if it becomes a hit.

The Dance side of the pool is just CRAZY - big files, all 320, so I kinda pick and choose what I want browsing YouTube and Traxsource for my previews.
raiderman77@sbcglobal.net 2:00 AM - 9 February, 2010
+1
dj king g 9:13 AM - 9 February, 2010
I used to DL everything but then I noticed i had a lot of bullshit. Even these main artists have songs that dont sound good. I realized Im a club dj so I would get songs that I would play at a club or party. I find myself trying to clean my library out now cause I have a lot of songs that I wont never play. I also dl songs if I like em to jam. Just get what you think its right and if it becomes a hit just go back and DL.
BattleFunk 9:43 AM - 9 February, 2010
as a dj im employed to play music i think is good. therefore, anything i deem as bad, i delete - i dont care if its a hit or not. its my taste they employ me for.

crazy frog was a number 1 in the uk. its a ring tone. dont tell me you work as a dj and play that shit cos its number one - dont trust the public, they know fuck all about music

i assume that those with massive collections either do weddings/mobile or were not around when vinyl was the format? - when you could go out with less than 500 records and rock the shit out of it all night
Gor 10:26 AM - 9 February, 2010
Theres just so much crap, its pointless having it all, it just wastes your time when you go to organise your music, make crates and stuff. When your collection starts to get pretty big, imagine how many Gb you have of shit that youre never going to play.

You have to look at it from a dj viewpoint, not a personal listening viewpoint; if you think it will work in a club, get it, otherwise leave it. You can always go back and download the extra tracks that you thought were shit, but start to become popular. Of course as a dj, your personal taste comes into what tracks you play but obviously you're gonna like tracks that people wont dance to.
Gor 10:27 AM - 9 February, 2010
^you're gonna like some tracks that people wont dance to.**
The Return of Dj Sparky 1:29 PM - 9 February, 2010
Well i joined 8thWonder, shit site for bulk downloading, is there any FTP type ones where I can just start a download and let it run not having to click on each link?
DJ Jonasty 1:44 PM - 9 February, 2010
I used to download everything and thought it was good to have "just in case" but I've sort of retired from that school of thought. I'm done with the shit requests and force fed Pitbull type hits. It's time to be more selective with our tracks and bring out the heat. I'm trying to organize more, which takes more time to preview and such. But come gig time, I've got more originality and feel prepared to rock the night. I haven't joined idjpool because I'm not sure I want the massive ftp folders to sift thru. Lot's of filler these days.

I do d/l everything off DMS though.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 7:59 PM - 9 February, 2010
Quote:
Well i joined 8thWonder, shit site for bulk downloading, is there any FTP type ones where I can just start a download and let it run not having to click on each link?

check out idjpool - FTP based but no previews - on par or better than DJ city for Urban or non electro dance. DJ intro, instrumentals & acapellas on most stuff too.