DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

how old is too old to dj?? (if there such thing)...

jbnyc 10:20 PM - 6 February, 2010
i know its a topic (us) dj's over thirty dont want to discuss lol but i heard this 2 dj's having a conversation about another dj (this guys are in their early 20's)and one of them said "wow, he still dj's? isnt he like 38?" im like wtf? im still not there yet, but eventually ill get there in few more years lol, so ever since then i've been thinking, how old is too old to dj? is ther such thing? cause to me funk master flex (what is he? like 42?) is still good but not my favorite like he was in 94-95,and when he starts talking trash im like come on, how old are you now? its just not the same as when he was in his late 20's.

its like theres a lot of rappers that i think they are still hot and they are 40 or close to 40 (jay z,fat joe,busta rhymes for example) and some rappers in their 30's make fun of them for still rapping, on the other hand i see dj's like junior vasquez that hit over 60 and they are still relevant in the game, i know that most of the answers are gonna be "if he is good then he can still dj at any age" and thats what i personally think (or want to think lol) but deep in your heart "HOW OLD IS TOO OLD TO DJ??
ryansupak 10:49 PM - 6 February, 2010
Whenever you've lost your passion to move people with music -- whether you're 18 or 81 -- then you're too old.

rs
djintelkt 10:52 PM - 6 February, 2010
There is no age limit. If your mixing and scratching is on point! And you're playing good music, age never matters.
Banana_Peter 10:56 PM - 6 February, 2010
When you are having a stroke, I doubt DJing will be on your mind
Banana_Peter 10:58 PM - 6 February, 2010
Age shouldn't matter when you are doing something that you enjoy.
ninos 11:18 PM - 6 February, 2010
Watchwww.youtube.com <--- watch this.
jbnyc 11:25 PM - 6 February, 2010
Hmm thanks for the answers but why is everyone answering like im 50 and shit? lol i was just wondering what u guys think,the thread doesnt say, guys im too old! please make me feel better!! hahaha J/K good to see im not the only one that thinks theres no age limit for this! peace!
howcome 11:36 PM - 6 February, 2010
I know younger people think there is some switch that turns on when you reach a certain age where you no longer are allowed to have fun, can have fun, stop listening to certain music, start liking classical music and generally just become obsolete. It is mainly ignorance and in a lot of cases outright stupidity. If you are lucky and don't win a Darwin award or get an unfortunate illness you will get older and you will wonder what all the fear of getting older was. Do guitar players just up and quit one day because they reach some arbitrary age or do they keep going because they love what they do? Young people say the stupidest shit.
CMOS 11:44 PM - 6 February, 2010
Im 32 i only been spinning for like 3 years now. Fuck that being too old to start, or keep going shit. Good Music is Timeless.
ryansupak 12:02 AM - 7 February, 2010
I have to retract my original answer. The exact age when you are too old is 43 years, 6 months, 10 days.

rs
OB One 12:06 AM - 7 February, 2010
I dont think you'll decide when your too old, the people who hire you will do it for you. (Im 24 so Im good)
Tunecrew 12:09 AM - 7 February, 2010
I'm 41 - been DJing on and off since about 1985 or so, sometimes as my full time gig, others as a part time thing, stopped completely twice, just got back into it now after a 5 year hiatus.

The cats I look up to are mostly older than me!
DJANGEL "EL FUERTE" 1:32 AM - 7 February, 2010
I just turn 40 and still makeing good money at doing weddings and sweet 16's. The day I can't carry my gear thats when I quit!
DJ Prinvale` 1:38 AM - 7 February, 2010
how old is jazzy jeff? He still rocks the clubs on a regular.
DJ Prinvale` 1:39 AM - 7 February, 2010
edit: He's 45.

That's badass!
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:01 AM - 7 February, 2010
I'll be 47 this summer, been doing this since about 82 or 83. The thing is you adapt and change with the music. In my 20's & 30, I used to think about "keeping it real" and educating the crowd to the latest Underground music (back then it was House) and being a "niche" DJ.

Now still I play Deep House (Soulful) to keep it "real" but more often than not I am playing "Hot Radio Garbage". Thing is in my market (Detroit) the art of beatmixing, blending, and programming has been lost to the "snap and drop" Virtual DJ guys. I beatmix that stuff like I would House (of course not as long) and try to program to keep the flow like I would with House.

A new gig that I got this year is a little boring because the crowd is older and more laid back but they are receptive to some Snoop, Gucci, and Luda at peak hour after the opening set of Steppers music and Line dance hustle shit.

Adapt as U get older and open your mind and it will always work.

(As I type this post right before I go to the Bar and DREADING that first hour of smooth laid back shit - LOL).
the_black_one 2:03 AM - 7 February, 2010
Quote:
I'll be 47 this summer, been doing this since about 82 or 83. The thing is you adapt and change with the music. In my 20's & 30, I used to think about "keeping it real" and educating the crowd to the latest Underground music (back then it was House) and being a "niche" DJ.

Now still I play Deep House (Soulful) to keep it "real" but more often than not I am playing "Hot Radio Garbage". Thing is in my market (Detroit) the art of beatmixing, blending, and programming has been lost to the "snap and drop" Virtual DJ guys. I beatmix that stuff like I would House (of course not as long) and try to program to keep the flow like I would with House.

word!!

A new gig that I got this year is a little boring because the crowd is older and more laid back but they are receptive to some Snoop, Gucci, and Luda at peak hour after the opening set of Steppers music and Line dance hustle shit.

(As I type this post right before I go to the Bar and DREADING that first hour of smooth laid back shit - LOL).
the_black_one 2:03 AM - 7 February, 2010
Quote:

word!!!
KYLE SMILE 4:13 AM - 7 February, 2010
Don't think it really matters how old you are. In the UK we have Paul Taylor who runs a big night (Retro) playing old skool house and piano house. It runs around the world too. He's in his mid 50s and still is massive.
sixxx 4:24 AM - 7 February, 2010
How old is too old to dj?

There's really no age limit and no one but yourself (or your body) will decide when you're too old to DJ. Some people give up DJing cause they lost interest. Some give up DJing cause it wasn't really their passion. Some of us, whose passion for DJing runs so deep, will DJ until we can't physically do so.
society 4:34 AM - 7 February, 2010
Yeah, who says old DJs are shit just becuz they're old--young people? Since when have they been right?? ;)
DouggyFresh 7:25 AM - 7 February, 2010
I know a bad ass EDM DJ opening for guys like Tiesto, Guetta, etc. That's like saying, how old is too old to be a rapper? ...guys like Eminem, Snoop and Dre are gettin up there in age too..

Look at David Guetta, 42 years old... He's really only had some top 40 hits the past 2 or 3 years... Tiesto, 41... Some of the biggest EDM guys in the world. I thought starting to DJ at 30 years old would be too old, but it's about the music and really, the maturity of the DJ... I think as the DJs get older they realize it's less about being friends with the crowd and more about having an identity... a lot of young DJs that are the same age as the crowd want to be popular.. when you're 10 years older than the crowd, you realize it's more about a business at the club and less about being friends with the crowd...
DouggyFresh 7:26 AM - 7 February, 2010
Sorry I missed it... the DJ opening for tiesto guetta, was like in his late 40's...
Z0nkers 7:54 AM - 7 February, 2010
you know you're getting to old to dj (or anything else for that matter) when you start complaining about the new technology and attempt to prove yourself to the community by repeating over and over how these new guys have no talent, hahaha
DJMaytag 8:36 AM - 7 February, 2010
ask Francois K.
skratchworx 9:39 AM - 7 February, 2010
David Rodigan is 58 and still filling events wherever he plays.
C. William 10:01 AM - 7 February, 2010
Quote:
Im 32 i only been spinning for like 3 years now. Fuck that being too old to start, or keep going shit. Good Music is Timeless.

I started spinning 1.5 years ago at 31. I'm not the shit or anything but I've been getting more gigs than I can even handle. I'm 33 now and a bunch of the bigger dj's in town are close to 40.

Just do your work and do it well and age won't even be a part of the equation.

How many people in Radiohead, Spoon and the Black Eyed Peas are well over 30?

All of them.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:39 PM - 7 February, 2010
I'm 43 (as of Thursday), and I'm probably better than 97% of you.

Let's battle.
Smemtex (AoS) 2:11 PM - 7 February, 2010
en.wikipedia.org(musician)

Saw this guy DJ at a venue I worked at last year...
Dj No Name 2:47 PM - 7 February, 2010
Quote:
Don't think it really matters how old you are. In the UK we have Paul Taylor who runs a big night (Retro) playing old skool house and piano house. It runs around the world too. He's in his mid 50s and still is massive.

Also Tom Wilson RIP he was in his mid 50's when he passed and he still filled venues up and down the country!
skratchworx 3:22 PM - 7 February, 2010
Quote:

Let's battle.

I'm 44. I win. ;)
Thebasementwonder 3:35 PM - 7 February, 2010
Overalll u love what u do then u can kick it when your heart says its time then u know its time to hang it up

its all about the heart
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:12 PM - 7 February, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Let's battle.

I'm 44. I win. ;)

LET'S BATTLE!!!
sixxx 6:20 PM - 7 February, 2010
The winner gets Depends. :P
babooza69 7:04 PM - 7 February, 2010
i say mid 30s. i don't see myself staying up to 5am every weekend trying to make young people dance when i'm that old with a family
dirrtyharri 8:16 PM - 7 February, 2010
hey man .. i'm 35 .. been spinnin in the clubs since i was 18 .. still playin the top hits to the masses .. i'm one of the most respected dj's in my city .. takes time to build a reputation and hold on to it .. and guess who gets all the big shows?? me .. from weddings to the clubs .. brings in the $$ for my family ..
the_black_one 8:18 PM - 7 February, 2010
Quote:
hey man .. i'm 35 .. been spinnin in the clubs since i was 18 .. still playin the top hits to the masses .. i'm one of the most respected dj's in my city .. takes time to build a reputation and hold on to it .. and guess who gets all the big shows?? me .. from weddings to the clubs .. brings in the $$ for my family ..

+1......... same here home!!! nothing but and respect in my city as well
the_black_one 8:19 PM - 7 February, 2010
home = homie
fmproductions 8:23 PM - 7 February, 2010
I am 43, started with tape decks in 83, been out of DJing for a while but always kept a set up in my house. Just got Serato and am back in the groove.
"Age ain't nuthin' but a number" but it also gives you an edge because you have seen the good, the bad and the uggly.
@ the end of the day your age doesn't matter if you can rock the crowd and get payed to do it.
rollanotherone 10:20 PM - 7 February, 2010
MC Lyte rocked a set at my work not too long ago, and she was on point the whole night. I cant really say she rocked the crowd, because it was a group of Nike execs, but she still put on a great set. Much respect for the old school. She had wisdom only years of practice and performing can give.
jbnyc 4:12 AM - 8 February, 2010
so far is 35 to 1, so its not bad, 25 more years to go then hehe
djdragon 4:30 AM - 8 February, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Let's battle.

I'm 44. I win. ;)

LET'S BATTLE!!!

Shit I feel so young at 40. Let's do this!
djdragon 4:30 AM - 8 February, 2010
Quote:
The winner gets Depends. :P

New or used?
dirrtyharri 4:31 AM - 8 February, 2010
meh .. i may retire when i hit 40 .. we'll see .. when it starts getting to be a drag and stops being fun and enjoyable ... it'll be time to hang up and bronze the headphones .. hell .. i stay up till 5 - 6 am on the nights i work the clubs .. then hit the pillows for a snooze and wake up with my boy during the day .. as the saying goes "your only as old as you feel" .. music is rejuvinating for me .. a release for all the other regular day to day b.s that happens .. keeps the spirit alive, and the heart beating in time with the music !! in the words of Dr. Alban .. "Let the Beat Go On" (1994)
DJ Dub (DC's Own) 5:24 AM - 8 February, 2010
I am 46 and have been working in clubs for 30 years now. I will play until nobody wants to hear what I do.
Phil Anthony 6:01 AM - 8 February, 2010
I don't really think age is a question. If you take care of yourself and your priorities age doesn't really matter. I am 37 with grey in my beard and a bald spot...Guess what I shave my head/face and pass for 25. I barely drink and never smoke and am more passionate about music than I was last year or the year before.

Age just means you have to be mindful and more deliberate because you have much less wiggle room. I am a firm believer that DJing and mental/physical fitness go hand and hand. The oldest DJs I know, whether 25 or 50, drink too much, do too many drugs, eat like shit, have poor sleep habits, and generally are in sorry shape. Like Ice Hockey, Martial Arts, Drums, guitar, whatever. Stay in shape and have intention and you can do this shit forever. Some things to think about:

If you are still getting sloppy drunk at every gig and creeping out the 21 year old girls they you are too old.

If you are too fat to squeeze into the booth without breaking a sweat or too weak to carry your own gear than you are too old.

If you have to sit down when you dj a 4 hour set because you get tired and not because you are injured or handicapped you are probably too old.

Stay fit, stay informed, and stay passionate. I plan to rock parties at the senior centers. DJing has been so much of who I am for so long, there is no fucking way anyone could rattle me to give it up due to age.
KYLE SMILE 10:46 AM - 8 February, 2010
Sloppy drunk at every gig and sleeping with young girls makes you old? Ha, i'm only 25 and up until a year ago i was doing exactly that. I must be too old to dj now?

I'm a pretty fit person so i'm lucky but you can't put weight down as a thing to stop dj'ing. What if a person was overweight before they started dj'ing or they put weight on very easily?
Dj Rehab 2:07 PM - 8 February, 2010
You are never too old to dj, but you can be too old to party like a 20 year old. Heavy drinking in your 30's and 40's can cause major health problems. So for me, at age 34, getting completely blasted while spinning is over. I now drink moderately which makes me hate drunks. And at a top 40 club, that's all that is in there....

As you age getting gigs where you enjoy the music helps imho.....
DouggyFresh 3:28 PM - 8 February, 2010
Definitely... I'm 31 and stopped drinking heavily myself, turns out the only people that don't annoy me are the sober 20 year old chicks that can't drink yet. Heh, sounds ok to me... :)
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:41 PM - 8 February, 2010
One thing that happens when you get older, you'll hate doing Mobiles. Back in the day, I used to love getting 3 to 5 times what I would make at the Club, but now - damn, I have to move Speakers and Amp (Peavey CS 800 is a anchor) - do I really want to do this mobile???

Although I have a complete mobile system, I sometimes still rent a system for another (slightly younger) DJ and adjust my price accordingly. No set up or tear down for me and at 3am, after the gig, that money loss is more than justified.
latindj 4:51 PM - 8 February, 2010
^lol. 40 here and still doing mobiles.....lighter, better sounding gear has been a godsend....
jbnyc 8:37 PM - 8 February, 2010
Quote:
^lol. 40 here and still doing mobiles.....lighter, better sounding gear has been a godsend....

hahah so true!! i remember back in 96 i used to take 2 cerwin vega 18" earthquake speakers to every single gig lol, fuck that now i take a jbl 18" eon self powered that is 1/3rd the weight of each CV lol
Phil Anthony 10:18 PM - 8 February, 2010
Quote:
Sloppy drunk at every gig and sleeping with young girls makes you old? Ha, i'm only 25 and up until a year ago i was doing exactly that. I must be too old to dj now?

I'm a pretty fit person so i'm lucky but you can't put weight down as a thing to stop dj'ing. What if a person was overweight before they started dj'ing or they put weight on very easily?

Kyle,

My fist answer was a bit tongue and cheek. I hear you on the weight thing though it is a slippery slope. Let me clarify - 20 and fat is one thing 40 and fat is a whole different can of worms. In most cases weight, drug use, booze, whatever, are things within our sphere to control though admittedly some have to work much harder than others. Like I said, as we age we have less and less wiggle room. Poor health and bad habits tend to catch up to us much faster and have much more serious implications than when we were young and indestructible.

There are exceptions to every rule but typically age + any uncontrolled bad habit = a liability. People will definitely hold age against you if there are other factors that add into the equation.

The truth is, if the liability equation hits close to home then Djing will probably quit you long before you quit Djing.

Oh and hell yes lighter gear makes mobiles much easier. So does hiring my nephew to set up and break down :)
DjLouSince82 11:54 PM - 8 February, 2010
shit im 38 and nothing gonna stop me ever from djing..not even a bullet in my head!
DjLouSince82 12:01 AM - 9 February, 2010
Quote:
I am 46 and have been working in clubs for 30 years now. I will play until nobody wants to hear what I do.

Salute to you bro..i myself been in the game for 25+ years never made it to the big boys but im still standing, i love it and thats all that matters
DjLouSince82 12:05 AM - 9 February, 2010
oh BTW i posted this same subject in December

www.serato.com
SuckaDJ 12:10 AM - 9 February, 2010
I sure hope you're better than me. You have 15+yrs experiene.
ninos 12:14 AM - 9 February, 2010
im 14 and i love to dj. i dont think ill ever stop :)
djdragon 1:35 AM - 9 February, 2010
Quote:

www.serato.com

Piss off, we're old! How can we remember that?! LOL
jbnyc 1:45 AM - 9 February, 2010
lmfao ^^^
DJ Val-BKNY11203 4:36 AM - 9 February, 2010
Quote:

That's wassup Dub.

BTW I used to go to DJ Hut from time to time.
DjLouSince82 5:37 AM - 9 February, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

www.serato.com

I take my Magic Pills Every morning thats why hahahaha
the_black_one 7:27 AM - 9 February, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

www.serato.com

I take my Magic blue Pills Every morning thats why hahahaha

fixed
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:31 PM - 9 February, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

www.serato.com

That short term memory is a KILLA in your old age...
DJ Rumors 1:44 PM - 9 February, 2010
<----------- 44 yrs ol here..been djing since 12yrs old. I dont do the full-time club scene anymore, mainly private parties and weddings. I have a 2hr mix show on our local radio station every Friday Nite. I do it now mainly out of love for my art and also for the fact that everytime I hear a track...I'm always mixing it in my mind and hearing things that no one else does.
I dont believe there's a "too old" factor simply because as long as you're progressing with your talent and staying "fresh", you're just as good as the next man.
Madja 7:09 PM - 16 May, 2010
Beat this. I'm 41, started dj'ing last October and I'm a woman. I'ts hard for me to be taken seriously about my passion for this wonderful craft. But never the less I'll carry on.
djdragon 5:25 AM - 17 May, 2010
Quote:
Beat this. I'm 41, started dj'ing last October and I'm a woman. I'ts hard for me to be taken seriously about my passion for this wonderful craft. But never the less I'll carry on.

+1 and total respect.
ninos 6:00 AM - 17 May, 2010
Quote:

Werd up mang :)

total respect. im 14 years old. hehe
MADLOGIC the Selectah 8:38 AM - 17 May, 2010
Quote:
There is no age limit. If your mixing and scratching is on point! And you're playing good music, age never matters.

Yep!
MADLOGIC the Selectah 8:40 AM - 17 May, 2010
Quote:

Keep pushing
The Prime 4:09 PM - 9 May, 2011
Wow, almost a year since this thread was last touched. Guess what?....my 2 cents.

I'm 2 months away from 40 and I have had a passion for music since I was making mix tapes with tape decks back in high school. I have never stopped enjoying music and after 20 years of military service to my country I am creating more time for myself to do what I really enjoy.

So I dropped some hard earned cash on a pair of CDJ-2000s (still shopping for my mixer). Why top of the line you ask? Because I really like new tech, that will never change. I like the ability to say "yeah I can do that" the second it is asked and I dread the day I have to tell someone "sorry, I can't help you".

Still too old you think? Nah.. never. I am single now (2 divorces later) and have no kids. Mid-life crisis you think....nope. I still love the latest PROMO ONLY releases and still enjoy seeing a good DJ "Move The Crowd"..

Whether this turns into me just being a house/internet/weddings DJ gig or I take it to the next level, who knows. As long as there's a beat, I will continue to follow it.

My 2 cents..
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:12 PM - 9 May, 2011
Quote:
Wow, almost a year since this thread was last touched. Guess what?....my 2 cents.

I'm 2 months away from 40 and I have had a passion for music since I was making mix tapes with tape decks back in high school. I have never stopped enjoying music and after 20 years of military service to my country I am creating more time for myself to do what I really enjoy.

So I dropped some hard earned cash on a pair of CDJ-2000s (still shopping for my mixer). Why top of the line you ask? Because I really like new tech, that will never change. I like the ability to say "yeah I can do that" the second it is asked and I dread the day I have to tell someone "sorry, I can't help you".

Still too old you think? Nah.. never. I am single now (2 divorces later) and have no kids. Mid-life crisis you think....nope. I still love the latest PROMO ONLY releases and still enjoy seeing a good DJ "Move The Crowd"..

Whether this turns into me just being a house/internet/weddings DJ gig or I take it to the next level, who knows. As long as there's a beat, I will continue to follow it.

My 2 cents..

lets play a drinking game, take a shot for how many times he showed his age in that post, ready....GO!!
The Prime 4:14 PM - 9 May, 2011
Hahaha... well played... got me.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:23 PM - 9 May, 2011
LOL @ Beezle...

I was with him until he said:
Quote:
I still love the latest PROMO ONLY releases

Damn that is old... (record pools baby... )
DJ GaFFle 4:28 PM - 9 May, 2011
Quote:
LOL @ Beezle...

I was with him until he said:
Quote:
I still love the latest PROMO ONLY releases

Damn that is old... (record pools baby... )

Moo, Moo, "Move the Crowd"... LOL
DJ'Que 6:51 PM - 9 May, 2011
41 here when I r.i.p is when I will stop. I don't have to ask mommy or daddy to buy my expensive equipment. I need a new macbook pro (I buy It) I need a backup (I buy It) I need $400 for a repair ( I pay it), I wanna do video mixing ( I buy everything) So when You see this 41 year old DJ with shit they can't buy tell me I'm to old.
true story at the bar I DJ at this young guy was trying to talk to this older guy lady. the young dude was like get your old ass out my face (gangbanger) so the old guy knocked his ass cold the fuck out. and I'm not say with a few punches. they squared off and the older guy gave him temple shot. lights out. and this young guy is known for knocking fools out to. now when he see's dude he's like what's up.with total respect.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:57 PM - 9 May, 2011
Quote:

true story at the bar I DJ at this young guy was trying to talk to this older guy lady.

tranny bar?? (nm)
DJ'Que 7:02 PM - 9 May, 2011
naw its a bar in long beach called tobo's. this bar is very ghetto. but you can't just come there if your a dude . I seen female's jump a female cuz she was from la. the next day the girl that got jumped came back with some la fools and they shot up a bar called tooties where the girls where going.
mister iLL 7:58 PM - 9 May, 2011
im 36. first learned to dj at about 20. as long as theres still people who appreciate what i play, i'll play it.
str8nger 9:54 PM - 9 May, 2011
dam hella old cats up in here shouldn't all ya be training your grand kids how to spin! Lol just kiddn :) age shouldn't matter at anything you do! As long as u enjoy doing it fuck it lol
sixxx 10:51 PM - 9 May, 2011
Quote:
41 here when I rip cheese is when I will stop.

Don't go to Taco Bell.

hahaha

nm
dj_soo 10:57 PM - 9 May, 2011
Afrika Bambaataa is still djing... sort of... when I played a show with him earlier this year, he played for about an hour and then let his roady take over while he selected the tunes :o
Dax 7:59 AM - 10 May, 2011
Dax 8:05 AM - 10 May, 2011
i'm just about to hit 40,tried to retire last year,but couldn't stay away from all the great music around and at the start of this year treated myself to a new MBP and 57.

when the music is in your blood,its a hard habit to break lol
DJ Johnny Falvelo 8:31 AM - 12 May, 2011
djbanno 9:57 AM - 12 May, 2011
Quote:
shit im 38 and nothing gonna stop me ever from djing..not even a bullet in my head!

+1
38 here too...

Quote:
when the music is in your blood,its a hard habit to break lol
s3kn0tr0n1c 10:20 AM - 12 May, 2011
you never too old to do ANYTHING you enjoy.

ill be playing tunes and xbox till I die
DJ Val-BKNY11203 12:39 PM - 12 May, 2011
Quote:

ill be playing tunes and xbox till I die

+1
DJ Quartz 12:51 PM - 12 May, 2011
Age is JUST a number, it's about how you feel man. Remember that...

Imagine I was only 32 and people were trying to fill my head with that BS about being to old.

What I learned is society has a funny way of making people who can't do something try and F up the people who can!
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:56 PM - 12 May, 2011
Quote:

this is a very incorrect statment, when i was in highschool i really enjoyed banging my schools cheerleaders.....legally im to old for that
s3kn0tr0n1c 3:44 PM - 12 May, 2011
lol....

got me there.........

.....unless you don't get caught....
DJ GOODFOOT 3:47 PM - 12 May, 2011
The choice to stop DJing as a career wasn't about age for me, it was about what I wanted in life. I had to make a choice between working in another field (with a nice income doing something that I love just as much as DJing) or sticking with DJing full time and living the party lifestyle but maybe not being able to completely support a family, own property, nice cars, and have a retirement with the ability to travel. Basically, enjoy life outside of the club. I also decided that I didn't want to do weddings, school dances or corporate gigs so that limited my earning potential significantly.

I know a lot of DJs who are excellent businessmen and have been very successful, but I also know some DJs who did not plan for a future and are ass out in their 40s and don't have a plan for living past 50 or 60. DJ icon Kool Herc has been credited as being the founder of Hip Hop but now at 56 with health issues and no insurance, he's relying on donations and fund raising to pay for necessary surgery and medical care. DJ Premier has a link on his site if you would like to donate.

www.djpremierblog.com

To answer the question, I don't think there is a specific age when you are too old to DJ. I'm 37 now, I started spinning at 18 and I'll DJ in some form 'til the day I die, even if it is just as an opening DJ when possible, for some friends at a house party or just for myself at home. As a career, I stopped around when I turned 30 and haven't looked back. (This was also about the same time that I really started to hate the new music coming out which was nice timing).
DJ Quartz 3:52 PM - 12 May, 2011
Well the thing is it depends on your career moves. There is so many avenues for the DJ skills is what I'm finding and my career evolves.

You just need to have business sense and find all the avenues to be successful not just as DJ but as an artist in general.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:20 PM - 12 May, 2011
Quote:
Well the thing is it depends on your career moves. There is so many avenues for the DJ skills is what I'm finding and my career evolves.

You just need to have business sense and find all the avenues to be successful not just as DJ but as an artist in general.

all depends on how much your willing to put into it to be honest
Shawny D 7:09 PM - 12 May, 2011
www.digitaldjtips.com

Really good article.

Personally, I don't see how you can ever be too old. As long as you're still able to swing it, then why not?
ta2423 7:25 PM - 12 May, 2011
Im old... The only thing I can see being the issue is. I know all of us are saying wtf with the new music these days. Wont work well with the youngsters.
As I clench my teeth and make it work.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 7:33 PM - 12 May, 2011
For once, I feel young amongst my peers :) hoovering under mid 30's.

My quick answer, when you are to old to hear it to mix

and then comes the

when your eyes are too bad to line it up ;)
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 7:34 PM - 12 May, 2011
Quote:
www.digitaldjtips.com

Aidan O’Doherty has cause a bit of a stir by musing that 41-year-old second-wave Detroit techno luminary Carl Craig “is living off his name and past achievements while melding into the commercial end of dance music”.

I know Carl Craig personally, here's the thing - Carl was never a DJ first, he was a Producer/Musician/Artist that had to learn to DJ to be able to perform in Europe after having success making hit records.

Carl was a (musical) protege' of Derrick May who like Kevin Saunderson the other 1/3 of the Techno founders were DJs first before they had success making records. Juan Atkins was a musician with Cybotron, with DJ career that started at almost the same time. Derrick is my age and can still rock the turntables because he was a DJ first.

Playing 6 degrees of Seperation (short story)- I learned to spin from Juan Atkins and Derrick May and eventually hooked up and was invited to join their sound company/dj crew - Deep Space. I went to Eastern Michigan University, met Kevin "Scratchmaster Reese" Saunderson who was a "rival" DJ at Eastern but we were cool, he connected with Derrick one day, wanted to make Records like Derrick and Juan. Kevin started his Record Label, KMS asked me to help him promote since I knew a bunch of DJs.

I pulled in a good friend named Damon Booker who I taught to Dj to help me at KMS while at the same time Carl Craig was just beginning to work with Derrick May. My buddy Damon and Carl went to High School together back in the day and started a label called Retroactive Records (pre- Planet E). Carl had a few underground hits and was in demand to tour so Damon taught Carl the basics of DJing....

So Carl was a talented musician who started spinning to kinda help his music career.
DjWoody 8:01 PM - 12 May, 2011
Here's some of the biggest DJ's in the world!!!!

John Digweed is 54!!!!
Danny Tenaglia is 50
Sven Vath is 46
Tiesto is 42
Sasha is 41
the_black_one 8:08 PM - 12 May, 2011
dannny T is crazy good(N0 H0m0).... i guess he's been djing for a good 30 years or so!
djbigboy 8:56 PM - 12 May, 2011
Ha! I think EDM djs have more staying power because they seem to have a better following. I am generalizing of course. But in the relm of Top 40, marketing and pulling a crowd is about as important as programming/dj skills. Younger dj brings a younger crowd that may or may not be new to clubbing. That younger crowd is going to keep clubbing longer than a crowd in my demographic. I'm 41, my peeps have been there done that. I still rock the hottest spot in my city (not there as much as I would like to tho). But the ideas are creeping into my head, "I'm getting too old for this ish". But then again, how often outside of the club do I get to mix n mingle with hot 23 yr olds who don't really care how old I am?
Rane, Support
Chad S. 10:34 PM - 12 May, 2011
Quote:

John Digweed is 54!!!!
Danny Tenaglia is 50
Sven Vath is 46
Tiesto is 42
Sasha is 41

Wow, I had no idea they were that old. Makes me wonder if my body could even handle this same kind of club work at that age. Are they just tiger blood having adonis dna types or do they put organic oatmeal on their riders?
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 10:56 PM - 12 May, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

John Digweed is 54!!!!
Danny Tenaglia is 50
Sven Vath is 46
Tiesto is 42
Sasha is 41

Wow, I had no idea they were that old. Makes me wonder if my body could even handle this same kind of club work at that age. Are they just tiger blood having adonis dna types or do they put organic oatmeal on their riders?

Traktor with Autosync -pre-programmed effects - 4/4 beats - it's not that hard these days...

: )

Now 15 years ago when Danny Tenaglia was spinning real vinyl....
djbanno 11:58 PM - 12 May, 2011
Quote:

John Digweed is 54!!!!
Danny Tenaglia is 50
Sven Vath is 46
Tiesto is 42
Sasha is 41

I think Carl Cox is up there too
DjWoody 12:05 AM - 13 May, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

John Digweed is 54!!!!
Danny Tenaglia is 50
Sven Vath is 46
Tiesto is 42
Sasha is 41

Traktor with Autosync -pre-programmed effects - 4/4 beats - it's not that hard these days...

: )

Now 15 years ago when Danny Tenaglia was spinning real vinyl....

Sven Vath is still spinning strictly vinyl. I just saw him a few weeks back and that's all he used. Digweed & Danny are CDJ's. Sasha just went back to CDJ's too.
DJ LIL M 12:29 AM - 13 May, 2011
when you start forgetting how to dj then your too old lol
ta2423 2:29 AM - 13 May, 2011
It seems to me we will be seeing some old ass dj's spinning at clubs. Picturing wobbling in with a cane and a laptop bag. Not to bad though. 40+ and pulling 21 year olds every night. Gotta love the life.
Shawny D 3:05 AM - 13 May, 2011
Quote:

48 and counting!
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:00 PM - 13 May, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

John Digweed is 54!!!!
Danny Tenaglia is 50
Sven Vath is 46
Tiesto is 42
Sasha is 41

you have to remember that you have a real job chad, a day job + djing takes a tole on the body.....if i was one of those djs listed i think i would be healthy enough to sleep all day in a comfy hotel room until a car comes to chauffeur me to the gig where im waited on hand and foot until i have to stand there and push buttons and listen to my own music for a hour or two
djbanno 12:12 PM - 13 May, 2011
50 and still partying (playing parties) is + 1 in my books no matter what.
djbanno 1:06 PM - 13 May, 2011
I'm just hoping to live that long ;)
ta2423 2:45 PM - 13 May, 2011
^ I feel the exact same way. Pissed just thinking what bangers come out when Im gone. Actually glad to know we have a handfull of o.g.'s in here.
Logisticalstyles 4:22 PM - 13 May, 2011
As I've gotten older I've become more picky about the clubs or bars that I will play at. My rule is if I wouldn't party there as a customer then I probably shouldn't spin there. There are some exceptions to this rule, but it just makes sense for me. I'm 36 and I can't see my self partying with a bunch of 19 year olds. As a result of this rule, I don't do clubs where it's 18 to party 21 to drink. Beside's I'm not interested in keeping up with the music that kids that age are listening to. I'll get the latest bangers but I'm not putting too much time in finding out which Gucci Man song is hot on the underground scene.

After saying all of that I must admit that I won't be quitting DJing anytime soon. It's all about getting in where you fit in. When I'm not holding down a residency somewhere, then I go into studio mode and start working on some beats. I've also been trying to get my internet presence established and that takes a lot of time. There are always mixes to record and upload and videos to post.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 4:25 PM - 13 May, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

John Digweed is 54!!!!
Danny Tenaglia is 50
Sven Vath is 46
Tiesto is 42
Sasha is 41

you have to remember that you have a real job chad, a day job + djing takes a tole on the body.....if i was one of those djs listed i think i would be healthy enough to sleep all day in a comfy hotel room until a car comes to chauffeur me to the gig where im waited on hand and foot until i have to stand there and push buttons and listen to my own music for a hour or two

lol, sometimes I love your wit. Good point ;)
MelonHead 10:21 PM - 13 May, 2011
lol

www.ebaumsworld.com

can't hate.. unk was havin' a good'ol time
djchrisgiraldo 12:10 AM - 14 May, 2011
Watchwww.youtube.com

She's 70. Age is no excuse.
lopezj1290 4:12 AM - 14 May, 2011
just got 2 V7's and a X5 at 30 yrs young...Always had the passion but never acted on it, until now. Age doesn't mean a damn thing
DJBurner 11:27 PM - 9 December, 2011
I am a 51 white dude and I play to a young hip-hop R&B crowd 3 nights a week. Everybody including myself has a great time. I often think about the age issue but If you love what you do you just try to please the crowd and they will show you love back.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 11:33 PM - 9 December, 2011
^^amen :)
jbnyc 10:33 AM - 11 December, 2011
Where's the like button?
DJ Unique 8:00 PM - 11 December, 2011
Quote:
Where's the like button?

+1
Taipanic 7:09 PM - 12 December, 2011
As long as you have the passion, age is not an issue to play but I have noted that getting club gigs is a lot harder once you move into your 40's. My favorite saying " Perception is Reality" often proves true. Many places (owners) write you off before even hearing you play. I might not fit what they perceive to be a cool DJ when I walk into the room, but when I am in the booth throwing down, I totally look & fit the part and my age is never an issue, even to the 21 y.o. hotties ;-)
djaction 7:17 PM - 12 December, 2011
djaction 7:17 PM - 12 December, 2011
[unless you're a celeb dj]
djsmuve415 7:39 PM - 12 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

48 and counting!

was gonna add that too... David Morales is also up there in age.. his appearance on MTV inspired me.
Watchwww.youtube.com
never looked back since - 39 & proud of it.
Theory83 6:00 AM - 13 December, 2011
started at 18....took a break at 22...started up again at 28. Once a DJ, always a DJ IMO. (as long as you hold the passion and that really annoying ability to pick apart every piece of music you hear/count beats like sheep while you sleep.)
Evon 10:38 AM - 13 December, 2011
You neve get too old for music. You can start learning an instrument when you are 60 and still practice for 10 years and be pretty darn good at it.
benberry 11:18 AM - 13 December, 2011
I'm 30, been mixing for 12 years and I feel I'm just coming into my prime now

The best years are ahead of me......
cutdr 2:07 PM - 13 December, 2011
I feel that the older the better. For example, I've been a DJ for over 20 years (wow) now I'm depressed!!! LOL!! The thing is, I've LIVED through the various music changes throughout the years. One thing that remained constant for me though is the art of mixing. When DJing was new (to me) in the 80s, I was a battle DJ. It was required in Cleveland.. Lot of great DJs there. In the 90s I was mixing with minor scratches here and there and minor beat juggling, just to show the crowd I had skills. I went through the CD era, tough to mix those before the CDJs came out. Now it's the serato era where you can find and mix songs in 3 seconds, so the style of play seems to be, watch how many songs I can play and mix in 1 minute.. Some songs only get to the intro. The key is to stay current, know your music and the crowd. Music knowledge is the key. I can play ANY era of music confidently because I have the experience and that's why I charge above the average DJ in my area. I did a gig last week and the crowd was very diverse. I played 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and current music for a crowd of 600+. and the floor stayed packed. If I hadn't had the experience (there's that word again) It would have been hard to please those more seasoned folks.. Who BTW HIRES ME AND SIGNS THE CHECK...
DJ GaFFle 2:20 PM - 13 December, 2011
Quote:

John Digweed is 54!!!!
Danny Tenaglia is 50
Sven Vath is 46
GaFFLe is 42
Tiesto is 42
Sasha is 41

Yeah, age is just a number.

(-:
Logisticalstyles 2:55 PM - 13 December, 2011
Damn you're old Gaffle! lol, 36 doesn't seem so old now.

Just kidding, keep doing your thing. You're only as old as you feel.
Daktyl 2:57 PM - 13 December, 2011
42 is the answer to this question...
en.wikipedia.org
DJ GaFFle 3:05 PM - 13 December, 2011
Quote:
Damn you're old Gaffle! lol, 36 doesn't seem so old now.

Just kidding, keep doing your thing. You're only as old as you feel.

Yeah, I'm still staying relevant in the DJ game. I have a 2 night residency at a staple Atlanta lounge/restaurant/dance spot, so I definitely have to keep my ear to the street as far as music. Some of these forum threads are a big help.
Dj K.Smith 4:18 PM - 13 December, 2011
< 41 and still rocking any wedding, birthday party, corporate function, club if I have to, backyard boogie, family get together, block party, whatever slides me some gas money and enough to get some chicken from Albertson's.....
DJ GaFFle 4:28 PM - 13 December, 2011
Quote:
< 41 and still rocking any wedding, birthday party, corporate function, club if I have to, backyard boogie, family get together, block party, whatever.....

Flagged for forum advertising.

(-:
Dj K.Smith 8:40 PM - 13 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
< 41 and still rocking any wedding, birthday party, corporate function, club if I have to, backyard boogie, family get together, block party, whatever.....

Flagged for forum advertising.

(-:

hahahahaha... You better know it... Just call Dj K. Smith at (555) 555-5555...
dj poisonous handz 9:25 PM - 13 December, 2011
flex is 60.meaning = never too old to dj
DouggyFresh 11:28 PM - 13 December, 2011
I'm 33 been DJing for 3 years (in the club) and always stay relevant as far as new music, but where you really shine is when you know what classics to play that other (younger) DJs forgot about. I do 5 night a week although 2 are at a strip club and 3 nights are at a 1500 capacity hood hip hop club. Most of the other guest DJ's who come are older than me. We all kill it when it comes to crowd rocking. Other clubs in the area, same thing, most of the DJ's are 30+ and still rocking 18-25 crowds.
DPR250R 2:34 AM - 14 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

John Digweed is 54!!!!
Danny Tenaglia is 50
Sven Vath is 46
GaFFLe is 42
Tiesto is 42
Sasha is 41

Yeah, age is just a number.

(-:

You sure about that Digweed age?
dj poisonous handz 2:47 AM - 14 December, 2011
dj enuff 49 still droppin all the way turnt up
DouggyFresh 9:21 AM - 14 December, 2011
Isn't Tiesto a producer not a DJ?
dj poisonous handz 1:50 PM - 14 December, 2011
tiesto is a dj.and a one of the highest paid
capo di exmixah 6:37 PM - 14 December, 2011
I'll dj til my hands and ears say "no mass"
DJ Special K 4:36 AM - 16 December, 2011
I'm 45 and will be 46 on 1/7/2012, I have a mixshow on a 100k watt station and I hold it down for one of the busier night clubs in my city on Friday and Saturday nights. I did have a time where I quit because I refused to join the CD revolution and getting vinyl was tough to find without joining crappy record pools. When the CDJ 1000 came out, using cds was not so bad after all. Now with Serato, hey time code vinyl! I must admit, the serato has helped extend my career as a dj because carrying those crates around was some bullshit!! LOL
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:46 PM - 20 December, 2011
Is 100k watt station a lot?
DJ GaFFle 2:16 PM - 20 December, 2011
I think 100kW stations are the defacto for large stations. I believe that's the max the FCC will allow.
DouggyFresh 10:12 AM - 21 December, 2011
Yeah 100kW stations are the "big" regional radio stations.. Although according to the Wikipedia, a station in Grand Rapids is 320kW because it came into existence before the new rules and was grandfathered in...
SirVeza 2:17 AM - 13 January, 2012
If it's someone's passion to entertain people with music than do what you love. I think it's an advantage to have a little age these days. Anyone over 35 has been through a couple of decades of great music. That knowledge will serve you well with music selection since most of today's samples are from yesterdays classics. If you think you're too old to move the crowd than you should look at old strippers, comedians, singers, actors, bartenders etc. It doesn't stop them so why should it stop you. You're too old when it's not fun anymore or you loose your physical abilities.
dougefresh0126 5:48 PM - 21 May, 2013
I dont think u all of a sudden become too old and have to stop, but at the same time i wonder is there an age where is it too old to start to learn to dj? Considering it takes a long time to perfect.
d:raf 6:06 PM - 21 May, 2013
ta2423 1:10 AM - 22 May, 2013
Quote:
where you really shine is when you know what classics to play that other (younger) DJs forgot about. Most of the other guest DJ's who come are older than me. We all kill it when it comes to crowd rocking. Other clubs in the area, same thing, most of the DJ's are 30+ and still rocking 18-25 crowds.

42 here and enjoy nothing more than dropping an old track and hearing one phrase in chorus through out the spot. Awww Damn.
dj jamalot 3:26 PM - 23 May, 2013
I started djing when only club jocks had cue buttons i split the channel inputs routed to a boom box and had cue... when numarks came out they were the $hit, i'll be 55 this year still look 35 and still bangin 25's year old lol got all the gear the wanna bee's want but still packin crowds i'll stop spinnin when my depends fall off and the viagra won't work lol!
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:30 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
If you think you're too old to move the crowd than you should look at old strippers

Your not helping your point at all
RonDu 5:06 PM - 23 May, 2013
40 in a few weeks. Still rocking parties and keeping people on the floor way past when the lights come on and the cleaning people mopping up vomit and garbage from the floors...
XCAKID 5:35 PM - 23 May, 2013
I'll be 45 this Aug. still doing clubs/bars and much like dj jamalot, I am still pulling down 20 somethin y.o. That is why I am not married to this day. hahahaha Although, I've quit and come back to the DJ game many times.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:50 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
I'll be 45 this Aug. still doing clubs/bars and much like dj jamalot, I am still pulling down 20 somethin y.o. That is why I am not married to this day. hahahaha Although, I've quit and come back to the DJ game many times.

What day in aug
XCAKID 5:57 PM - 23 May, 2013
27th

Ya getting me somthing?? LOL
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:21 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
27th

Ya getting me somthing?? LOL

Lol nah just checkin, mines the 17th
Mr. Goodkat 8:29 PM - 23 May, 2013
as long as you can stay relavent with your music selection, age shouldnt be a problem. if you are complaining about it (anything to do with the club) though, quit for sure. its only gonna make you crazy and angry.
dj jamalot 8:37 PM - 23 May, 2013
i'm in the process of moving and my storage has over 25,000 pieces of vinyl and just looking at it i don't miss humping crates mann we have it so easy i show up with a laptop bag now and rock jeez....
dj_soo 9:47 PM - 23 May, 2013
nothing quite like seeing those hot girls on the dancefloor and realizing that you're as old as some of their dads :-\
ta2423 9:55 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
nothing quite like seeing those hot girls on the dancefloor coming up flashing and realizing that you're older than some of their dads and they find it kinky :-)

"Fixed" Some of them can call me daddy anytime.
dj jamalot 10:02 PM - 23 May, 2013
shiiiit im older than they granpa lol.
ta2423 3:50 AM - 24 May, 2013
Ha Ha... Damn
dj jamalot 3:53 AM - 24 May, 2013
J/K i'm 54 and still kickn ass!
ta2423 4:49 AM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:

LOL... i will be there in 11 years. God willing. Who knows what kind of dj crap will be out by then. Controling serato with your mind and hand gestures. Me... Staying on the tables.
DJ Reflex 4:57 AM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

LOL... i will be there in 11 years. God willing. Who knows what kind of dj crap will be out by then. Controling serato with your mind and hand gestures. Me... Staying on the tables.

Roger that! I'm almost 40, and no sign of slowing down.
dj jamalot 2:30 PM - 24 May, 2013
I started spinning in 1978 after joining the military the enlisted club dj's were wack so I practiced hard just mixing and eventually got a shot and it changed the club as I knew lots of peeps and even more wanted to know me fast forward 35 years and I'm still doing the damn thang still hav my 57 and 1210's I bought in Germany but mainly use a controller DDJ SX because it stays in the club with my IMac I bring my back up 17 in MBP but hav yet to use it lol yes the DJ game has changed but I've never stopped and have stayed relevant and still in demand at 54 years old 2 divorces and 5 kids later!
RonDu 2:56 PM - 24 May, 2013
But on the real, I know some Dj's that are like in the 50's and up and been playing for like 30+ years and consistenly get gigs. The problem is, a lot of them still can't mix or blend two songs!!! I'm like yo, you've had 30+ years to practice and you haven't gotten it down yet?

I played alongside a legendary Jamaican selector (name will be ommitted) and was highly disappointed. From what I heard he was the ish back in the day but when we played together the promoter was telling ME to tell him to get off! I was like I can't do that! Dude is a "legend", although he was playing like that new dude on the forum. And I've seen this in a few other cases too. Are they fighting down the concept of mixing/blending and effectively transitioning records? You're never to old learn those basic skills, no?
RonDu 2:58 PM - 24 May, 2013
*too old to learn
dj jamalot 3:05 PM - 24 May, 2013
Unlike those legends I on the the other hand can rock a party consistently and stay in the mix transitioning thru genre's to keep my sets going basic skills were learned long ago I used to count all my records manually with a clicker now the software does it...if you can mix the right music you can stay in this game forever with a few roadies to move those Damn SRX 728s and heavy a$$ amps...
dj jamalot 3:09 PM - 24 May, 2013
some peeps are happy with their skill set like you said they gettin money so whatever their doing is working maybe good mic skills idk i see those cats around that can't mix pancake batter but they still working it's kinda sad.
RonDu 3:10 PM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:
Unlike those legends I on the the other hand can rock a party consistently and stay in the mix transitioning thru genre's to keep my sets going basic skills were learned long ago I used to count all my records manually with a clicker now the software does it...if you can mix the right music you can stay in this game forever with a few roadies to move those Damn SRX 728s and heavy a$$ amps...

LOL. Before I started (many moons ago) I used to see those numbers on the records and never knew what they were for. I thought that was the order that my uncle would play the records! That's gotta be tedious to manually beat count all those friggin records. Damn.
dj jamalot 3:12 PM - 24 May, 2013
yup i used to set aside a day just to count beats and organize crates but it was all worth it except the wives didnt much care for it lol.
dj jamalot 3:16 PM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:
yup i used to set aside a day just to count beats and organize crates but it was all worth it except the wives didnt much care for it lol.
These days i take the weeks worth of tracks put it on my thumb drive make a crate let Serato DJ analyze it then put it in a set technology is my best friend so i have no problems spending thousands on my Macs.
XCAKID 3:17 PM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:
That's gotta be tedious to manually beat count all those friggin records. Damn.

It was, but it was a great way to learn your library.

I recall buying a 12" single. Putting it on the TT and counting the BPM. Next I would take one of those gold permanent marker, and while listening to the ENTIRE song, mark the drops and breaks (old school cue points) Then I would listen to it again and play around mixing it with song I thought would mix well with it.

So folks did not get 20-30 songs a pop. 1) it would take you forever to count and memorizes all the drops/breaks. 2) it would be too costly.
dj jamalot 3:20 PM - 24 May, 2013
Yea Kid we used high lighters and with black lights in the booth the marks would show up after we soaked the records to remove the labels AKA Trainspotting in the 80's Haha!
ta2423 4:37 PM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:
I started spinning in 1978 after joining the military the enlisted club dj's were wack so I practiced hard just mixing and eventually got a shot and it changed the club as I knew lots of peeps and even more wanted to know me fast forward 35 years and I'm still doing the damn thang still hav my 57 and 1210's I bought in Germany but mainly use a controller DDJ SX because it stays in the club with my IMac I bring my back up 17 in MBP but hav yet to use it lol yes the DJ game has changed but I've never stopped and have stayed relevant and still in demand at 54 years old 2 divorces and 5 kids later!

Damn, bet you have seen some crazy things in your time. Just playing through the different music from 78 to now when it all was new. The different dance styles through the years. So what do you think about some of todays music?
RonDu 4:56 PM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:

Damn, bet you have seen some crazy things in your time. Just playing through the different music from 78 to now when it all was new. The different dance styles through the years. So what do you think about some of todays music?

Word,

To all the "experienced"DJs; What era would you say was the best, in your opinion. Referring to the quality of music.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:58 PM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:
So what do you think about some of todays music?

I'm curious too. I'm a few years behind you (nh) but I've hated some stuff in the past but now I kinda look at the bigger practical picture of today's hot garbage - if people like it and radio has force fed familiarity - it makes my job a lot easier.

Why try and force fed them knowledge or something different- just use it sparingly to fill the gaps here and there and slowly educate them?

The guy that taught me back in the day called it "bait and switch" - play 2 or 4 songs that they know and love - slide in a song that you want to break - soon you'll have a hit by association.
RonDu 5:04 PM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:

The guy that taught me back in the day called it "bait and switch" - play 2 or 4 songs that they know and love - slide in a song that you want to break - soon you'll have a hit by association.

Learned that from a few NY radio DJs!
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 5:04 PM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:
What era would you say was the best, in your opinion. Referring to the quality of music.

I was a Househead from the start, and I grew up with the guys that started Techno. The late 80's and early 90's (before Europe fucked it up) was really great but when Techno and some House lost it's soul - I kinda started listening and began to appreciate to Rap - luckily it was in the 90's when the golden age of hip hop was kicking in and Biggie was evolving to make rap commercial and acceptable...
ta2423 5:12 PM - 24 May, 2013
I have to say the 90's to. Some of my gigs I have to wonder in and out of all years and Genres. The 90's brings everyone to the dance floor. Young, Old, green or purple it doesnt matter.
RonDu 5:51 PM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:
House lost it's soul -

I definitely feel you on that. That was around the early to mid 90's

Quote:
I have to say the 90's to. Some of my gigs I have to wonder in and out of all years and Genres. The 90's brings everyone to the dance floor. Young, Old, green or purple it doesnt matter

Never fails, regardless of the genre
dj jamalot 6:19 PM - 24 May, 2013
the late 70's was when i learned to dj a good club dj gave me a mix tape and i played the same songs til i could mix it continuously the exact same mix i learned about pitch song structure mix in the break downs the 80's was interesting hip hop took off but dance music michael jackson madonna ruled then i remember playing my first rap record King Tim III by the Fatback Band in 1978 and i was blown away by his rapping...lol i could go on but i won't and yea i've seen alot being a club jock and mobile mainly clubs for 30+ years it's been an awesome ride and i'm not getting off just yet thanks for allowing me to share guys.
dj jamalot 6:23 PM - 24 May, 2013
as far as the best era for music "any of them as long as the pay"
dj jamalot 6:26 PM - 24 May, 2013
one more thing the Dj that taught me from his mix tape told me mixing is like driving a car merging onto the freeway if your too slow people will honk if your too fast you will get a ticket match your speed to the others and your good funny that stuck in my head all these years and i taught my daughters how too mix the same exact way...
RonDu 7:20 PM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:
as far as the best era for music "any of them as long as the pay"

LOL. I feel you on that.

I love the 80's. All the joints I used to listen to growing up is what I love playing now. What some people don't realize is that it's that nostalgaic feeling people get when you throw on those throwbacks that heighten their experience. They forget about all that top 40 "hot" $h*t the DJ before you played 15 minutes ago and leave talking about all classic joints that you hit. I don't mind playing before or after headliners. I love it.
DJRemixEnt 11:22 PM - 24 May, 2013
damn, did i step into the AARP thread? lol...j/k.

Quote:
Yea Kid we used high lighters and with black lights in the booth the marks would show up after we soaked the records to remove the labels AKA Trainspotting in the 80's Haha!
^ wow, that's crazy
XCAKID 11:23 PM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:

Forget all that noise. Masking tape on the labels with BPM written on them. hahahaha
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 11:27 PM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Forget all that noise. Masking tape on the labels with BPM written on them. hahahaha

Me and my boys used liquid paper/white out...
DJ Reflex 11:52 PM - 24 May, 2013
Yup - Had those little garage sale stickers all over my records to label not only BPMs, but also a few songs and cue points that mixed well. I had a lot crammed into a small sticker!
dj_soo 12:04 AM - 25 May, 2013
I have a bpm counter record that I found in a thrift shop. Basically it's just a metronome click and you beatmatch it with your tunes and the % in which your pitchslider was at would give your the bpm according to a chart on the record.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:42 AM - 25 May, 2013
Quote:
I have a bpm counter record that I found in a thrift shop. Basically it's just a metronome click and you beatmatch it with your tunes and the % in which your pitchslider was at would give your the bpm according to a chart on the record.

Wow, I have never heard of anything like that. I had a little numark or gemini LED tap counter but a record? Who made it? Pics?

I'm curious...
dj_soo 4:26 AM - 25 May, 2013
Let me dig through my thousand or so records I still left and find it... It was pretty cool even though I never used it...
dj jamalot 5:49 AM - 25 May, 2013
Long as You got it done thas wat counts never heard of the metronome we used hand held clickers like the movie theater attendants
dj jamalot 5:50 AM - 25 May, 2013
Or in a pinch we counted for 15 secs and multiplied X 4
Cosmic Sunrise 6:08 AM - 25 May, 2013
Never is too old ask Goa Gil if he feels old at 66 or so
Logisticalstyles 3:07 PM - 25 May, 2013
Quote:

That was my first lesson on BPMs back in the day. It wasn't very accurate but it was close enough.
dj jamalot 4:24 PM - 25 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

That was my first lesson on BPMs back in the day. It wasn't very accurate but it was close enough.

+1 yea not accurate but close = or - a couple beats...
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 5:56 PM - 25 May, 2013
Quote:

^^^This - analogue watch with a second hand - no digital timex -lol
DJ Reflex 3:12 AM - 26 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

^^^This - analogue watch with a second hand - no digital timex -lol

Heck, I used a sundial.
ta2423 8:49 PM - 28 May, 2013
I guess I was lucky. Back in my day we used these. Sundials were to big to fit in the van with the gear.
mysbfiles.stonybrook.edu
Dj matty k 8:59 PM - 28 May, 2013
i have 3 mates all around 40 and still in the clubs and one is still playing 3 times a week
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:22 PM - 28 May, 2013
Never really got into counting BPM's, but I WOULD take the songs and arrange them in order of slower to faster in the crate, and would set up mixes that way.

I always wanted a "Rising" tempo of my nights, so by the end, they were too tired to fight...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:23 PM - 28 May, 2013
Long live 110 BPM's! :-D
Taipanic 8:06 PM - 29 May, 2013
Quote:

Word,

To all the "experienced"DJs; What era would you say was the best, in your opinion. Referring to the quality of music.

Really enjoyed 86-92 and 98-2000. Eighties had Freestyle, New Wave, Booty Music, High Energy Rock and your retro songs were great Disco & Funk from the 70's. Early 90's had great House & Tekno (was not playing much Hip Hop in the clubs at that time). Late 90's was great for Breakbeat & Club music, my opinion based on what I was able to play down here in FL.
d:raf 6:26 PM - 29 August, 2013
societeperrier.com
Quote:
Respect: 50 DJs Over 50 Who Are Still Killing It
by Darren Ressler
Posted on: 08.28.13

As technology allows DJ culture to become more egalitarian, it's commonplace nowadays for a teenage DJ to have their tracks go viral and quickly translate the buzz into a career even though they're not even able to legally drink in most countries. While this trend has indeed fostered a new wave of talent, a contingent of DJs over 50 are continuing to innovate and decimate dance floors, using the skills and know-how they learned in their analog days. As the 50 jocks on this list remind us, age ain't nothing but a number.

1. Giorgio Moroder (73)
Not only has this disco innovator/pioneer been enjoying a renewed interest in his career thanks to appearing on Daft Punk's Random Access Memories, the maestro made his debut behind the decks at Output in New York City in May. And more gigs are in the works.

2. Annie Nightingale (73)
The BBC's longest serving broadcaster, Nightingale might be old enough to have witnessed '60s icons become international stars, but she's been all about the dance floor and the underground for decades. Her appetite for bass seems to be insatiable, making her not only a national UK treasure but a proponent for young producers from all over the world.

3. David Mancuso (68)
The innovator of the invite-only Love Saves The Day loft party's career dates back to the '60s, Mancuso was innovating long before clubs became a global business. One of the most influential DJs of all-time, Mancuso never wanted to be a DJ, preferring to be viewed as a "musical host."

4. Junior Vasquez (64)
From ten-hour sets at Sound Factory and Palladium in the '90s to remixing everyone and later beating a potentially devastating addiction to crystal meth, Vasquez continues to spin and break new music in New York City.

5. David Rodigan (62)
One of the best-known reggae DJs in the world, Rodigan (pictured below) is one of the genre's foremost purveyors of good riddims. Currently hosting a program on BBC Radio 1xtra, the master regularly tours all over the world.

6. François Kevorkian (59)
Known for his flawless house signature and remixing/producing everyone in the '80s and '90s, his Wave Music indie imprint in tandem with his international DJ sets and Deep Space weekly in NYC keep FK quite busy.

7. Frankie Knuckles (58)
All hail the Godfather of House Music (pictured below)! One of the nicest guys in music continues to spread the gospel all over the world with his smooth, soulful grooves.

8. Kool Herc (58)
When Kool Herc started DJing in the '70s in the community room of a residential building in The Bronx, he got the idea to isolate "breaks" on funk and R&B tracks, inadvertently helping to invent hip-hop. Having recovered from a serious illness, Herc is back in action and recently DJed at Central Park this month.

9. José Padilla (58)
One of the pioneers of the true sound of Ibiza and known for his brilliant Café del Mar sets and chillout compilations, 2013 marks the release of Padilla's Binary Sun project and 40th year as a DJ.

10. Nicky Siano (58)
Though he's traveled the world bringing house music to the masses, Siano started his DJ career at home in NYC as a teenager, DJing at club meccas like The Loft and Studio 54. These days he continues to spin and hosts a popular podcast.

11. Arthur Baker (58)
Known for his production work in the '80s with Afrika Bambaataa and New Order, Baker doesn't DJ too often these days while dividing his time between London, Ibiza and Miami but he still keeps his ears to the dance floor.

12. Peter Hook (57)
It seemed like a logical progression for notorious New Order bass player to transition to the decks... except for the fact that he was accused of faking some of his sets a few years back. Now focused on his own music after splitting from New Order, Hook's more recent daliances in the DJ booth have gone much better as he concentrates on his band, The Light.

13. Afrika Bambaataa (56)
Utilizing drum machines and computer sounds when computers were the size of refrigerators, Afrika Bambaataa created electro-funk, a sound that took the world by storm with 1982's breakthrough smash "Planet Rock." Bambaataa's sound has influenced nearly every style of dance music, from breakbeat to electro. In 2012 Afrika Bambaataa was appointed to a three-year term as a Visiting Scholar at Cornell University, where his vinyl collection will reside as part of the Cornell University Library Hip Hop Collection, the largest collection on hip-hop culture in the world.

14. Kool DJ Red Alert (56)
New York hip-hop legend continues to hold it down with club shows and on the air. Check out The Koolest Legend on East Village Radio's which aired back in March to taste his New York flavor.

15. Jellybean Benitez (55)
John "Jellybean" Benitez has done it all: music producer/remixer, A&R man, indie label mogul. Benitez's passion for DJing is stronger than ever, as evidenced by his SiriusXM Studio 54 Radio program and regular spate of gigs around New York City.

16. Grandmaster Flash (55)
"A square peg in a round hole" is the mantra Grandmaster Flash has lived by. Known for innovating scratching, phasing and backspins, the hip-hop pioneer (whose group Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five was inducted into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2007) continues to blaze trails and bring down walls between musical genres. Listen to his recent BBC 6 Mix to hear Flash in full groove.

17. Alex Paterson (53)
From roadie for Killing Joke to A&R man at EG Records, Dr. Alex Paterson's The Orb continues to push ambient house into new directions. The good doctor's outfit recorded an album with dub master Lee "Scratch" Perry last year, and The Orb will celebrate its 25th anniversary at The Forum in London on October 19. Patterson's DJ sets are epic, and he's presently hosting a monthly DJ mix on FNOOB Underground Radio. Here's hoping the upcoming anniversary tour finds him behind the decks.

18. Shep Pettibone (53)
With a remixography as long as your arm, Pettibone went into the hospitality business and currently owns The Empress Hotel in New Jersey. He regularly spins at its Paradise Nightclub.

19. Marshall Jefferson (53)
In the '80s Jefferson helped lay the blueprint for house and techno. Decades later he's still moving bodies on dance floors all of the world.

20. Larry Heard (53)
Known as Mr. Fingers (pictured below) for his dexterity on the keyboards, the Chicago-bred Heard (who is responsible for a litany of classics like "Move Your Body") now calls Memphis home. Heard has recently stepped away from DJing due to chronic ear issues but he still graces his fans with online mixes.

21. Robert Owens (53)
Known for his vocal work with the aforementioned Larry Heard, Owens was also on the scene when house music came of age in the '80s. These days he continues to sing, record and has established himself as a DJ on the global stage.

22. Carl Cox (52)
One of the most beloved DJs in the world, this British techno hero (pictured below) has earned generations of fans for this flawlessly energetic sets, boundless energy and big, gap-toothed smile.

23. Pete Tong (52)
If DJ culture were a religion, Pete Tong would be the pope. A DJ, BBC radio presenter and serial entrepreneur Tong breaks new music weekly on his syndicated show airing on the beeb and over various radio airwaves. He is the tastemaker's tastemaker.

24. Danny Tenaglia (52)
Championing a style he's dubbed "hard and soul," Tenaglia's magnetic personality continues to touch his fans. While some DJs mix in the shadows and rarely interact with those on the dance floor, Tenaglia, who is known for his marathon DJ sets, often likes to get on the mic and chat with his fans. File Tenaglia under a DJ's DJ.

25. Grandmaster Caz (52)
One of hip-hop's founding fathers still spins and currently works as a celebrity tour guide for Hush Hip Hop Tours.

26. Boy George (52)
Culture Club's infamous frontman has proved himself to be quite a DJ. This year his residency at La Troya at Amnesia in Ibiza has been hugely successful, and he continues to spin all over he world.

27. David Morales (51)
One of the biggest DJ/producers in the game, Morales, who is now a grandfather, continues to bring his sexy brand of New York house to clubs all over the world.

28. Saskia Slegers (a.k.a. Miss DJax) (51)
Since founding Djax Records in 1989, Miss DJax (pictured below) has pushed the envelope of techno in every possible way. A scant look at her schedule finds her DJing all over Europe for the remainder of the year. Miss DJax won't techno for an answer when it comes to her music.

29. Moritz von Oswald (51)
One half of both Basic Channel and Maurizio, von Oswald remains a busy DJ, regularly playing all over Europe. This year he released a brilliant album with Detroit techno pioneer Juan Atkins called Borderland. Buy it.

30. Farley Keith (a.k.a. Farley Jackmaster Funk) (51)
Known for producing early Chicago house tracks under his own name as well as aliases Rude Boy Farley Keith, Farley Funkin' Keith and Farley Jackmaster Funk, Keith can still hold his own behind the decks.

31. Jesse Saunders (51)
Chicago house pioneer Jesse Saunders has done it all, working as a DJ, music and film producer, remix artist, promoter and entrepreneur. Saunders keeps busy these days making music and running Broken Records.

32. Danny Rampling (51)
Known for his role on the early British rave scene, Rampling has done it all, jetting around the world as a DJ, serving as a radio host and remixing and producing tracks for the dance floor. Rampling announced his retirement in 2005 but his break from the decks was short-lived. This summer he DJed at clubs from Ibiza to New York.

34. Steve "Silk" Hurley (50)
Working his way up spinning on Chicago's WMBX in the '80s, Hurley dominated the '90s remix scene, reimagining tracks for the biggest pop stars of the day. These days the four-time Grammy nominee helms house Chitown label S&S Records and remains busy making magic in the studio.

35. Marley Marl (50)
Straight outta Queensbridge, NY, Marley Marl established himself as one of the most talented DJ/producers in hip-hop with the Juice Crew. He went on to release of spate of classic records and is still lethal behind the wheels of steel.

36. Grand Wizard Theodore (50)
A hip-hop icon who also pioneered scratching, Theodore's style has influenced countless turntablists. Theordore still rocks it and continues to innovate.

37. Joey Negro (50)
The alias of British DJ/producer, Dave Lee has spawned a litany of dance floor dalliances over the span of three decades. Lee took his moniker in 1990 when he released “Do It Believe It" on indie house label Nu Groove and needed a moniker. In 2012 he released The Secret Life of Us artist album. He runs Z Records and has DJ gigs from China to Spain this year.

38. DJ Hell (50)
Munich/Berlin mixmaster DJ Hell (pictured below) has 30 years of spinning under his belt yet doesn't live in the past. Regularly playing the best techno and house clubs all over the world, he continues to refine his skills. Hell recently issued a brilliant mix CD, Kern Vol.2, featuring top cuts from Joey Beltram, Inner City and Robert Hood.

39. Jeff Mills (50)
Since his days running the elusive Underground Resistance collective in Detroit with "Mad" Mike Banks, Mills has established himself as one of techno's most brilliant artists. Having worked with orchestras and known for his three-deck sets, Mills continues to break ground for his chosen genre.

40. DJ Krush (50)
Despite his early days as a yakuza henchman, Japan's DJ Krush decided to leave the gangster world behind when he decided to make a go of it as a hip-hop DJ/producer. Krush continues to bring his beats all over the world and shine the spotlight on rising young talent.

41. Andrew Weatherall (50)
Venerable British DJ/producer/remixer continues to break down musical barriers, producing and remixing for amazing talent and bringing his eclectic musical sensibility whenever he's on the decks.

42. Paul Oakenfold (50)
Vegas to Ibiza is not only the name of his latest mix CD but it's also two places where Oakenfold maintains DJ residencies. One of the most in-demand DJs in the world, Oakie's star-studded new album, Pop Killer, is due out this year.

43. Nicky Holloway (50)
Regarded as the first superstar DJ, Holloway has had his fair share of personal ups and downs over the years but he's been known to show up behind the turntables every so often.

44. Norman "Fatboy Slim" Cook (50)
Known for too many hits to mention, Cook (pictured below) remains a fixture of the global club scene. After holding down a residency in Las Vegas, Cook recently had a change of heart, stating that the city's blossoming scene wasn't really for him. As he jets around the world playing upbeat music for the masses, he just opened the Brighton Beach Café in his beloved hometown of Brighton, England.

45. Ben Watt (50)
Known as one half of Everything But The Girl, Ben Watt has worked as a DJ, producer, remixer, label owner and radio presenter. Watt's prowess behind the decks is well known in the deep house world, though he's decided to focus his career as of late on writing books.

46. John Morales (50+)*
One of the masters of the re-edit — a technique where an existing song was altered for the dance floor — Morales is a demon behind the boards. A DJ since the '70s, this fall finds him spinning his grooves in Germany, Lebanon, France and Austria.

47. Kenny Carpenter (50+)*
Brooklyn's house hero has done it all as a DJ, touring all over the world and helming mix shows on various radio stations. Though his sound is rooted in the '70s and '80s, Carpenter continues to champion new music in his sets as he crisscrosses the globe.

48. Tony Humphries (50+)*
Home Fries! A true global champion of deep house, Humphries has remained true to his sound in the wake of fleeting musical fads. Having toured all over the world, he remains hugely popular in Italy where he often spins.

49. Graeme Park (50)
The numbers don't lie: Graeme Park has worked as a DJ for over 25 years and over 15 years of experience on the radio. After establishing himself at The Haçienda in Manchester, Parky has gone on to tour everywhere and remains widely popular in the UK.

50. Lil Louis (50+)*
The Chicago house master famous for hits like "French Kiss" recently celebrated 39 years as a DJ! Still playing local shows, Louis regularly spins in clubs in Paris, London and all over Europe. No wonder he got a shout out from Daft Punk in the song "Teachers" from the Homework!

* exact age unknown
Mdub1 6:38 PM - 29 August, 2013
Awesome.. Thanks..

Just returned to mixing things up after a 20 year hiatus. lol

I was considering going with a mask or other gimmick to hide my grey hair.
Now I will just rock it with all the pride and experience that comes with being OG!!
dj jamalot 6:57 PM - 29 August, 2013
As long as your still relevant you still rockin crowds age is only a number buff said I'm 54 and no sign of slowing down yet I started spinning in 78...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:47 AM - 30 August, 2013
Oh snap....
Cosmic Sunrise 6:36 AM - 3 September, 2013
Missed GOA Gil hes around 65 or so
Chrisjin 12:39 PM - 3 September, 2013
when your hearing aid battery dies
dj jamalot 1:45 PM - 3 September, 2013
Quote:
when your hearing aid battery dies

lol not with visual mixing just watch the waves... the old guys will still be getting your gigs LMAO.
gymarines 5:45 PM - 18 May, 2014
d:raf...
Thank you for taking the time to really lay out djs over 50. I am 47 and started doing this just as a hobby, and now that I can afford it, it has become an addiction.
DJ Reflex 6:40 PM - 18 May, 2014
^^ I got a buddy who getting into the DJ biz (mobile work) who is at least 50+. He's buying the best stuff (sound and lighting) and trying to get his name out. Cool thing is that he is trying to learn the in's-out's from me and a couple other younger guys who have been dong this for 20 years already. He has no clue about searching for hours at a record shop or carrying cases of CDs to a gig. I like helping him out because he respects where it all started and is trying to learn the techniques without the use of "sync" buttons and the like. I don't mind passing a few gigs his way when I get the chance.
latindj 4:53 PM - 19 May, 2014
Quote:
^^ I got a buddy who getting into the DJ biz (mobile work) who is at least 50+. He's buying the best stuff (sound and lighting) and trying to get his name out. Cool thing is that he is trying to learn the in's-out's from me and a couple other younger guys who have been dong this for 20 years already. He has no clue about searching for hours at a record shop or carrying cases of CDs to a gig. I like helping him out because he respects where it all started and is trying to learn the techniques without the use of "sync" buttons and the like. I don't mind passing a few gigs his way when I get the chance.

lmao!
DJ Reflex 4:14 AM - 20 May, 2014
Trust me, I had my share of carrying crates of vinyl to gigs, but nowadays, you don't have to carry anything but a laptop and a small controller. I still use my 1200's BTW. I made a reference to CDs just to show the rapid progression of DJing through the last 20 years. Heck, I started out on cassette tapes!
latindj 6:18 AM - 20 May, 2014
it just sounded funny and made me lol. i started out spinning on the gramophone...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:35 PM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
it just sounded funny and made me lol. i started out spinning on the gramophone...

^^This....

CTFU @ cases of....

CD's.....
Joee 1:33 PM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
^^This....

CTFU @ cases of....

CD's.....

what? did some one say cd case? this thing here was a back saver i still have it sitting in the garage
www.musiciansfriend.com

with the cd sleeves that thing held like 600 cd's, how many long crates would i need for that? about 8
DJ Reflex 12:21 AM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

^^This....

CTFU @ cases of....

CD's.....

Seriously, did you even read my post? :)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:55 AM - 21 May, 2014
Yeap.

And again, the idea of cats even bringing up the "Weight" of CD's as something to even be considered, is straight HILARIOUS if you came from a time of DJ's that I did.
DJ Reflex 3:31 AM - 21 May, 2014
Yeah, but you get my point (I hope) that today is radically different for new DJs. All the better for us in the game for 20+ years, but even the thouht of "carrying" your music on a tangible medium doesn't compute with the younger generation. I was not complaining about carrying CDs. I fell in love with SSL from day 1, but can remember records, tapes, CDs, 45s and all the hot, power hungry lighting that came with mobile set-ups. Now if you are going to tell me that your lighting consisted of torches and a jar of fireflies, then you got me!
sumoJr 4:06 AM - 21 May, 2014
i had to carry 6 ipods to my last gig
shit was crazy
DJ Reflex 1:50 AM - 22 May, 2014
Quote:
shit was crazy

LOL. Now that's tough!
sumoJr 6:18 AM - 22 May, 2014
pair of jean on average only has 4 pockets
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:52 AM - 22 May, 2014
Quote:
Now if you are going to tell me that your lighting consisted of torches and a jar of fireflies, then you got me!

LOL, now that was funny...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:53 AM - 22 May, 2014
Quote:

shit was crazy

Quote:

^^^ And some cats will EVENTUALLY complain about this....
latindj 4:10 PM - 22 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

shit was crazy

Quote:

^^^ And some cats will EVENTUALLY complain about this....

Back in the day, jeans had pockets down to both knees...but you youngsters prob think old navy jeans are oldschool and never even heard of miller's outpost...
Dave C. 10:58 PM - 27 April, 2016
I am 49 years old and I have been mixing since I was 14, technology has really changed.
Back in the day we didn't have auto bpm, we had to count it ourselves, no laptop, no hard drive, just two turntables and a mixer with several crates of records. When Djing went digital it
was hard for me to adjust to the new era, but if i wanted to keep playing I had to switch over or retire, retire was not an option for me. In 2007 I went digital, I brought my first digital
DVS program, Mixvibes and Torq in 2009. I was laughed at by a lot of DJs because I was
not using Virtual Dj or Serato Dj. I did a lot of research on all DVS programs and went with what was suited best for me. After mastering the programs I went with Serato. So now I am totally digital, I now use a controller, long story short, I'm glad I switched over....
Mr. Goodkat 7:41 AM - 28 April, 2016
when you aren't killing it or feeling it, quit. until then make them pry you out the booth.
Wildwind 8:58 PM - 31 May, 2016
I'm a DJ from the 70s and 80s. I've spun vinyl with the best of them, from lite rock to hard rock to country and disco. Those were great time's. The voice behind the mic rocked on and on. I've kept party's partying through the night, and lover's loving. I've kept the disco's dancing and the country two steppers stepping. I was the party animal listeners could count on to keep it alive from the time they turned in to the time they turned out. I really miss those good old days. I can't find a station anymore that really needs a good old rocken over the hill vinyl spinner like me. Though I'm just as good as back than, I get turned down. Those day's are gone forever I guess it's a computer operation and prerecorded DJs now. I have my turn table's, mixers, carts, ( for those who don't know, carts were 8 and 12 track players. Mostly for commercials.) I have my amps and speakers, reel to reels, walls filled with vinyl , etc,etc. My man cave is set up the way the studio used to be. It seems that the voice is all but gone now, at lest a live voice. What I wouldn't do to rock on the airwaves one more. But that's just wishful thinking coming from a now called obsolete over the hill DJ.
dj jamalot 12:28 AM - 1 June, 2016
Hmmmm sounds like you've given up I'm 57 soon to be 58 started djing in 1977 still holding down a residency you're only as old as you look and perform ... Fortunately I don't look 57 partly bcuz "the black don't crack" lol no seriously if you look old your gear is old you might not get that gig, nobody shows up with big ass old speakers an old ass mixer as "Queen B" Would say partner let me upgrade ya... If you look dated sound dated you are dated!
dj jamalot 12:50 AM - 1 June, 2016
Dude say he using Carts... why not the sp6???
Wildwind 1:38 AM - 1 June, 2016
I built my studio in my man cave to resemble a 70s style studio. Glass producers room and all. I know all about computers and how to use the modern mixers etc, for modern radio. But I don't really want to continue to be modern, vinyl is much more fun. I was a radio DJ not a portable for hire, not interested in that kind of DJ. Got married and moved on to news than back to rock then out all together. Couldn't pay the bills and since I wes than married, girls were not a bonus to be had anymore. I am working on getting back into the studio again if I can find a station that wants a old time rocker behind the mic with old time rock and with old time vinyl. I'm up there in age but still have it. Not bald yet, still good looking I'm told. And still talk like I'm on the air. I guess it never goes away.
dj jamalot 2:11 AM - 1 June, 2016
Welp i guess there's always the Mancave... Change is inevitable nothing stays the same embrace it or dwell in the Mancave where you make the rules.
Taipanic 2:16 PM - 1 June, 2016
Quote:
I'm a DJ from the 70s and 80s. I've spun vinyl with the best of them, from lite rock to hard rock to country and disco. Those were great time's. The voice behind the mic rocked on and on. I've kept party's partying through the night, and lover's loving. I've kept the disco's dancing and the country two steppers stepping. I was the party animal listeners could count on to keep it alive from the time they turned in to the time they turned out. I really miss those good old days. I can't find a station anymore that really needs a good old rocken over the hill vinyl spinner like me. Though I'm just as good as back than, I get turned down. Those day's are gone forever I guess it's a computer operation and prerecorded DJs now. I have my turn table's, mixers, carts, ( for those who don't know, carts were 8 and 12 track players. Mostly for commercials.) I have my amps and speakers, reel to reels, walls filled with vinyl , etc,etc. My man cave is set up the way the studio used to be. It seems that the voice is all but gone now, at lest a live voice. What I wouldn't do to rock on the airwaves one more. But that's just wishful thinking coming from a now called obsolete over the hill DJ.

By a low power broadcast license and make your own radio station or do some research on creating an Internet based station. There are lots of options to get your music to the masses that have no correlation to age.
On the other hand, you are not going to get club gigs and certain events as a dinosaur. You need to stay current on music, equipment, technology, clothes, etc... You have to be able to hang with the current crop of DJs. Your experience gives you an up on a lot of younger dudes but you also have to be able to do what they do.
I just turned 50 and can rock any room, any Genre - Trap, House, Hip-Hop, etc... I also do my best to look the part when I am playing - hat to cover the gray hair, cool music T-Shirts, etc... Once the younger DJs have heard me all preconceptions are thrown out the window and I get lots of respect as I can hang with them plus have 30+ years of music and experience in my head. It takes effort though, I spend 15-20 hrs a week previewing new music, library management, plus going out and networking/supporting 1-3 nights a week - on top of my 45-60/hr work week for my "Day" job. I also have top of the line gear - not to impress, but because I don't want to use crap tools to ply my craft.
Wildwind 2:49 PM - 1 June, 2016
Might do the license thing. Low power is all I would need for the summer lake crowd. I do have modern equipment in the next room but like doing things the old way. Good to hear your doing good. I'm not a mobile for hire type person it's a hobby now.
willman 6:20 PM - 4 October, 2016
ill be 50 and im still rockin it yo lol
Quicksilver16 12:05 PM - 4 January, 2017
I'm 36 and just about to start learning how to mix and use equiptmrnt. Finding this discussion was really comforting. I come up with mixes in my head all of the time but have zero production experience.

I agree with what most people are saying. In fact, lately I've realized that being older can even be an advantage bc you've had more time to develop a musical library/memory and have more resources available to experiment with. That's how I see it. Being a dj as a career is a whole other thing...that convo depends on several factors. Not sure yet where I will fall! Have to first learn how to produce and see how that goes. Tactile sense is totally different from hearing/feeling with the body, but have a strong feeling I'm well equipt and capable once I learn some technicalities.

If anyone has any tips on the best/easiest way to get started without spending too much on equipment, I'd appreciate all feedback :-) On a very tight budget but don't wanna keep putting this off.

Cheerio!
Mr. Goodkat 6:29 PM - 4 January, 2017
Quote:
I agree with what most people are saying. In fact, lately I've realized that being older can even be an advantage bc you've had more time to develop a musical library/memory and have more resources available to experiment with.

used to be, now get all the followers on social media you can, get a dj name and logo, then boom, you are a dj.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 1:44 AM - 5 January, 2017
Quote:
If anyone has any tips on the best/easiest way to get started without spending too much on equipment, I'd appreciate all feedback :-) On a very tight budget but don't wanna keep putting this off.

Others may chime in but I would invest from your fingertips outward....

Start with Decks and a Mixer (or dare I say it - a Controller). It will be YOUR GEAR for YOU to learn. Sometimes clubs nowadays just provide a "drop" for you to plug into their system. It's Bring Your Own Decks type thing.

If you are doing mobiles, see if you can find a reliable sound guy to bring the bottom half of the system thru until you can buys Powered Speakers and/or Subs. It may cost you 1/3 or 1/2 of your rate but as you get older it is also less work at the end of the night - lol.

Some places also rent speakers so you don't have to turn down gigs until you get up and running. Financing is also available at certain retailers.
dj jamalot 2:32 PM - 5 January, 2017
Welcome to the party albeit a little late ... everybody's a DJ now so good luck! My grandsons 12 and 16 are borrowing my gear to DJ his school dance I'm the roadie... lol I love it so prepare to compete with these younger guys be well prepared and you'll be fine.
Dj Slyde 6:26 AM - 9 February, 2017
I definitely agree that the love of music is timeless. That being said, as some before me mentioned, there is a difference between DJ'ing and being a DJ as your career. A lot of DJ's over 35-40+ who were mentioned on this thread are still rockin' it because they made a name for themselves when they were younger and have successfully made a career in music. Also, there are great part time DJ's who still get out at spin from time to time as a hobby, but have day jobs that allow them to support themselves without the charity of others.

Now, if you are above 35-40+ and consider yourself a DJ but: haven't made it in the industry yet, don't have a steady gig that allows you to support yourself and/or your family, still live with your parents, and generally rely on others to pay for your survival and basic necessities on this earth - then you are too old to be a DJ (as a career) and need to start considering a different course in life.

You can still love music and DJ...but if you are over 35-40+ still waiting to make DJing your life, you gotta know that it's a young man's industry and changes are that a life in the spotlight isn't going to happen.
D Jay Cee 5:22 AM - 20 February, 2017
Quote:
I definitely agree that the love of music is timeless. That being said, as some before me mentioned, there is a difference between DJ'ing and being a DJ as your career. A lot of DJ's over 35-40+ who were mentioned on this thread are still rockin' it because they made a name for themselves when they were younger and have successfully made a career in music. Also, there are great part time DJ's who still get out at spin from time to time as a hobby, but have day jobs that allow them to support themselves without the charity of others.

Now, if you are above 35-40+ and consider yourself a DJ but: haven't made it in the industry yet, don't have a steady gig that allows you to support yourself and/or your family, still live with your parents, and generally rely on others to pay for your survival and basic necessities on this earth - then you are too old to be a DJ (as a career) and need to start considering a different course in life.

You can still love music and DJ...but if you are over 35-40+ still waiting to make DJing your life, you gotta know that it's a young man's industry and changes are that a life in the spotlight isn't going to happen.

you must be a young guy who thinks he is the bomb. 44 years old...I have a residency and I do parties. but it isn't my primary job. I am also a computer technician and an actor here in Japan. as long as I get paid to DJ (something I love) I am a DJ. I will do it till I get tired of it or the gigs run out. DJing is not really a young man's industry. If we look at the DJs in the Top 100, we see that the average age of DJs is 36. that means there are a lot of older DJs out there my age and older. young DJs are a dime a dozen....most don't last and people buy up their shit from craigslist. The older ones are the one experienced...Having started out in the time, when DJ’s weren’t considered superstars, they know the scene thoroughly. This means, they got their minds constantly on the pulse of events and trends. They know how to cope with the changes, because they’ve often been the initiators of the changes themselves. Being a part of the development that DJ’s, nowadays, are enjoying superstar status unlike ever before, they themselves are making everything of it – profiting as well as enjoying themselves.
Christ beats I. 1:48 AM - 21 February, 2017
When you can't stop drooling.....at the hotties!
djsmuve415 11:35 PM - 28 February, 2017
Quote:
young DJs are a dime a dozen....most don't last and people buy up their shit from craigslist. The older ones are the ones experienced.

^This.... many times over.
womiqotu 1:10 PM - 3 April, 2017
DAND. Hi guys like many of you I started DJing when I was in my 20s I did the pub and club scene for a long time , well into my forties. I am now 58 years old and run a very very profitable wedding DJ bussines and we average around 150 weddings a year at an ave of $1000 a gig. No I am not in the club scene anymore as I wouldnt fit and will admit would look stupid, but I still often get the chance to play MY style of music and stilll love doing it. I will quit when the people stop booking. There is no age limit on anything you do, just a mental attitude. If you truely beleive that you have to stop doing what you love at a certain age then you will stop it. If you beleive in making the most out of your life, DJ till you piss on your slippers.
D Jay Cee 12:21 PM - 10 April, 2017
Quote:
I will quit when the people stop booking.

ditto!
DJ DHam 5:34 AM - 22 August, 2017
I've been DJing since I was 25, and recently turned 34 in July. Since that time frame, DJing has consumed my life in the best way possible--I've never been more passionate about anything than this art form. However, it's very discouraging to hear that many clients want to book "a young DJ" for their event. It's as if years of knowledge and skills acquired along the way are useless compared to someone in their teens or 20s. It's the same kind of shallow sentiment that reminds me of how club dj's need to bring 100 of their "closest" friends to book a $100 time slot for 4 hours with little-to-no regard of how good they are. I wonder if musicians who play other instruments have to deal with the same nonsense we regularly do. It's not like Hans-Zimmer is being passed for other young composers to arrange original soundtracks for movies. I just feel like song-selection IQ, mixing techniques, and turntablism skills should be the have-all-be-all when it comes to selecting the right DJ.
05spoof 3:41 PM - 22 August, 2017
Quote:
I've been DJing since I was 25, and recently turned 34 in July. Since that time frame, DJing has consumed my life in the best way possible--I've never been more passionate about anything than this art form. However, it's very discouraging to hear that many clients want to book "a young DJ" for their event. It's as if years of knowledge and skills acquired along the way are useless compared to someone in their teens or 20s.

I think it's the false perception that the younger DJ would know more about the current music trends then the experienced veteran.
Mr. Goodkat 4:16 PM - 22 August, 2017
Quote:
I think it's the false perception that the younger DJ would know more about the current music trends then the experienced veteran

depends, i hear old guys play the same set they played 3 years ago. Heard a guy the other night not play a new tune in 30 minutes
RonDu 4:38 PM - 22 August, 2017
Quote:
Heard a guy the other night not play a new tune in 30 minutes

My kinda dude. *dapz*
Mr. Goodkat 5:00 PM - 22 August, 2017
well not new but more like stale tunes, stuff from 3-4 years ago.

not mad at some classics, but when you new part of your top 40/pop hip hop/edm set is 2012-3 then thats a bit lazy
D Jay Cee 4:11 AM - 23 August, 2017
Quote:

not mad at some classics, but when you new part of your top 40/pop hip hop/edm set is 2012-3 then thats a bit lazy

then that is the individual DJ....he probably doesn't do proms and school dances like i do.
05spoof 1:34 PM - 26 August, 2017
Quote:

I wonder if anyones removed Bambaataa or KRS off of their playlist after that incident last year.
DruTheDJ 8:44 PM - 26 August, 2017
Never too old me thinks! It's a lifestyle, a part of you that never leaves. Only difference is whether you will be doing gigs, or have a setup at home and play for the love of the music with the occasional mixtape for the fans(That's me)
D Jay Cee 10:13 PM - 30 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I wonder if anyones removed Bambaataa or KRS off of their playlist after that incident last year.

Did I miss something?
05spoof 1:48 PM - 31 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Did I miss something?

look up Bambaataa pedophile...all of it will unravel
Gio Alex 2:17 PM - 31 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I've been reluctant about playing R. Kelly tracks lately lol. Bam, on the other hand is an absolute no no for me. Especially since I've been hearing about bamdusky's shenanigans for over 15 years now.
Logisticalstyles 2:45 PM - 31 August, 2017
R. Kelly has been getting added to the Do Not Play list a lot lately. My upcoming s wedding gig has already stated "No R.Kelly" on the playlist.
Gio Alex 3:00 PM - 31 August, 2017
Quote:
R. Kelly has been getting added to the Do Not Play list a lot lately. My upcoming s wedding gig has already stated "No R.Kelly" on the playlist.

Yup. I'm just not playing his tunes. It's a bummer because step is sucha good wedding jam. But I don't need anybody yelling at me. Lol
05spoof 5:19 PM - 31 August, 2017
Kelly was a huge part of 90's r&b era...I guess people won't mind hearing the Keith Sweat whine. What about Guy tracks....remember Aaron Hall did something similar?
Gio Alex 5:31 PM - 31 August, 2017
Quote:
Kelly was a huge part of 90's r&b era...I guess people won't mind hearing the Keith Sweat whine. What about Guy tracks....remember Aaron Hall did something similar?

I still bump them Keith Sweat bangers. That's the OG nasally gawd lol
AKIEM 8:18 PM - 31 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Yup. No play.

If Herc had a record I might take that off too...
sad to say
D Jay Cee 5:43 AM - 1 September, 2017
KRS 1
pulled cuz of why? The 9/11 comments?
D Jay Cee 5:56 AM - 1 September, 2017
What is wrong with Herc?
AKIEM 8:20 AM - 1 September, 2017
Both their support of bambaataa
Gio Alex 1:16 PM - 1 September, 2017
Quote:
KRS 1
pulled cuz of why? The 9/11 comments?

It's all in relation to bamdusky.

I doubt anyone would stop playing anyone's music due to 9/11 comments. Almost everyone has a theory on that anyway. I wouldn't take offense to conspiracies.
Gio Alex 1:18 PM - 1 September, 2017
Quote:

Oh damn, I didn't realize Herc supported Bam's bs too. That's nuts.
Mr. Goodkat 5:27 PM - 1 September, 2017
Quote:

u sure? not seeing that, but more he always backed bam
AKIEM 5:49 PM - 1 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

u sure? not seeing that, but more he always backed bam

Anyone blowing off the matter and calling it an internal situation... nah. Him and Kris doing the same thing all them ZN people was doing, protecting bam. And probably because they have so much invested... but mad at Flash... lmao
Gio Alex 9:21 PM - 1 September, 2017
Quote:
but mad at Flash... lmao

I'm glad flash ain't with the bullshit. For real though.
Gio Alex 9:23 PM - 1 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

but more he always backed bam

That's not good at all though. To keep it real, my peeps been telling me about bam's bs, so imagine if outside ppl knew for over 15 years what someone close to him would actually know. They at the very least heard all the allegations for 20+ years. That's a lot of pedo remors to ignore, and still have dude's back.
AKIEM 4:56 PM - 2 September, 2017
All bums.

I was in the ATL chapter. We separated from NY for other reasons, but that talk was there. NY did a bunch of BS to wreck the ATL chapter.

I didnt really believe all the 'funny' stories till I moved to NY and some industry insiders explained some things.

Lots of people knew - they was covering for him then and now.

And from what I hear, he ain't really leave position.

That's what happens when you are a follower.

Quote:
Quote:
but mad at Flash... lmao

I'm glad flash ain't with the bullshit. For real though.

They been rivals since the beginning. Three godfathers and all that... but I think Flash threw the first shot... but he had too, Herc wasn't mixing, or on beat, just dropping off beat. Flash had to explain that. That was way back when the history started being written. Herc was just riding off people didn't really understand what he did and gave him way more credit for inventing everything. Same with Coke being the 'first MC' - not true.

Flash does the same thing letting people claim he invented the cross fader - not true.
Tino Digital 7:43 PM - 29 March, 2019
I used to spin way back. I started late in 1985 and spun until around 1991. I got into the printing business at an early age. It seemed to work for me back then making club flyers and posters etc. I didn't make a name for myself as a dj outside of the neighborhood and local house parties. But I made lots of friends who still spin, got into audio production or just left the scene for one reason or another. I've been feeling like getting into it again even if it's just for myself as a hobbyist. I thought it would be a great encouragement for my son. I'm 48 my son is 8 now. He loves music. What do you guys think. All thoughts highly appreciated.
willman 7:49 PM - 29 March, 2019
You should do it that way u can show ur son if he wants to learn.wko knows he might like it .
Gio Alex 7:59 PM - 29 March, 2019
Quote:
You should do it that way u can show ur son if he wants to learn.wko knows he might like it .

Agreed. Like why not, just for fun.
Tino Digital 8:02 PM - 29 March, 2019
Thanks!
willman 8:03 PM - 29 March, 2019
No problem have a good dj time lol
Crackpipe 2:42 AM - 30 March, 2019
I prefer older DJs who've been around the block (no I don't have daddy issues lol) simply because in general, they have amassed a wider knowledge of music than a young DJ. Younger DJs tend to follow trends and are probably more technically skilled than your average older DJ, but I rather hear some good tracks I've never heard before, expand my knowledge of music, rather than listen to some young technically skilled scratch DJ. I relate better to older DJs and their taste in music.
Clubber1970 9:07 AM - 30 March, 2019
Quote:
I prefer older DJs who've been around the block (no I don't have daddy issues lol) simply because in general, they have amassed a wider knowledge of music than a young DJ. Younger DJs tend to follow trends and are probably more technically skilled than your average older DJ, but I rather hear some good tracks I've never heard before, expand my knowledge of music, rather than listen to some young technically skilled scratch DJ. I relate better to older DJs and their taste in music.

Good to hear this, saying a DJ in the age of 48 😎

Then I‘m not too old to spin records!
dj_soo 6:51 PM - 30 March, 2019
Ollie 8:42 PM - 30 March, 2019
I think the post needs to be clarified if they're asking "When is it too old to START djing" vs
"When is it too old to DJ"

I say never to both. If you know your music and genres then you're good to go. I see people over 50 get booked to Dj events that cater to disco music, 50's 60's, 80's rock pop. A lot of
the younger Dj's have issues when it comes to mobile gigging because they don't know songs from these eras.

You can download a curated playlist BUT, can you program the music so you play it at the right time?

* Make sure you dress proper for the occasion cause no one wants crappy looking Dj.
BrentMeder 8:57 AM - 5 November, 2019
Quote:
I used to spin way back. I started late in 1985 and spun until around 1991. I got into the printing business at an early age. It seemed to work for me back then making club flyers and posters etc. I didn't make a name for myself as a dj outside of the neighborhood and local house parties. But I made lots of friends who still spin, got into audio production or just left the scene for one reason or another. I've been feeling like getting into it again even if it's just for myself as a hobbyist. I thought it would be a great encouragement for my son. I'm 48 my son is 8 now. He loves music. What do you guys think. All thoughts highly appreciated.

Go for it! I'm still spinning and I'm now 60 having started way back in 1979. And yes, I do play up-to-date music and different genres.
RonDu 3:36 PM - 6 November, 2019
Never too old to DJ. That's like saying someone is too old to ride a bike, unless it physically impossible.
Eline 5:54 PM - 6 November, 2019
Never trust a DJ under 45? :)

Kidding, the answer imo is that music has no age, no sexual preference, no colour. It’s for everyone.

I think it’s more about the limiting beliefs you have about it and the fact that the music industry is a culture obsessed with youth. Don’t fall into its trap :)
JoJo50 10:40 AM - 8 November, 2019
Ok....So I’m going to change this one up a little..:)
I’m female and been around music all my life. I’m 50 soon and doing my DJ training!! I am not a typical 50 year old whatever people think you should be at 50 but this is my last season phase and I’m going for everything! So if I let other people’s age opinions get to me I’d be better off choosing my retirement home now! Life’s an experience and very short..go for it and inspire others. Hopefully see you at one of my sets soon :)) x
Duri 7:18 PM - 10 November, 2019
Hi there. I DJ on and off more or less serious since the mid 1980s and owned mixers since I was 15 years old. Since 2007 I have small Disco type room in the basement of our house. I am really happy with it. I can have a party any day and at any time. I love music. Since years I DJ on the side except when I could not due to serious health problems and I am registered at 2 web portals and have my own DJ website. Now I am 52 years old and still really enjoy playing for other people and make them smile and dance. I love it. That's it. Do what you love and enjoy. I think there is no age restriction if you are able to do it. Keep on rolling... Cheers