DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Stuttering of waveform on MAC who have it and how solve this problem ?

gevola 8:01 AM - 29 January, 2010
Hi guys,

I bought a MAC in December 2009, and seems I 'm one of lucky guys that have the problem of stuttering of waveform.
My MAC is a MAC BookPro 2.53Mhz 4G Ram.

I talked with the Serato guys and they confirm me that after trying to solve the problem, they give - up .. due seems out of their control.

You can see my help request here:
www.serato.com

My request is understand how many people have this problem and which type of MAC have .. and ( if possible ) is there a workaround to solve the problem.

Let me know.

Ciao.
boabmatic 12:17 PM - 29 January, 2010
got a 13inch Mac pro (june 09) 2.53 4gb mem and get the stuttering waves on both leopard & snow leopard.

No workaround found....
gevola 1:18 PM - 29 January, 2010
Hi boabmatic
please can you confirm me that you don't have any audio drop-out.
right ?
boabmatic 1:44 PM - 29 January, 2010
no audio drop out with either SSL or VSL running.... USB buffer set to the lowest and screen refresh at 60.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:53 PM - 29 January, 2010
check your calibration, does this happen on yuor digitracks and m447s??
gevola 3:08 PM - 29 January, 2010
hmmm ... I tried only with m44-7 ( that is my default set-up ).
Anyway the same HW set-up on my PC works correctly.
boabmatic 3:49 PM - 29 January, 2010
get it on both my m447 & qbert OM carts... calibrated circles etc... and on various decks.
Musically Minded 3:53 PM - 29 January, 2010
I have this same problem,
15'Mac Book Pro
2.53 ghz Intel Processor
4Gb RAM
250GB 5200 RPM HD
Snow Lepard
I get the stuttering waveforms on both serato and itch
I use two Denon DN-S3500 w/ Serato & a VCI-300 w/ Itch!
DJ CISC0 4:16 PM - 29 January, 2010
Same here. Itch, SSL, m44, ortofons, cdjs, 1200s. No audio drop outs though. Nothing you can do about from what I read. You just need to get used to it.
DJ CISC0 4:17 PM - 29 January, 2010
*about it
gevola 4:28 PM - 29 January, 2010
Quote:
You just need to get used to it.

hmmm I got the MAC ... that should be the best !!!

Anyway I heard that probably changing the HD with a 7700 RPM the problem should disappear ...
Is it true ?
gevola 4:29 PM - 29 January, 2010
Quote:

Anyway I heard that probably changing the HD with a 7700 RPM the problem should disappear ...

sorry 7200 RPM
djGReddy 4:32 PM - 29 January, 2010
MBP 2.66 Ghz
4 gig of ram
512 video

it only happens when i plug in my mini display port that the waveforms starts to stutter really bad...
but if i unplug the mini display the waveforms seems to be fine or not as bad.
DJ CISC0 4:43 PM - 29 January, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah...I said the same thing to myself when I first saw it too.
terrible1fi 4:50 PM - 29 January, 2010
might have to do with snow leopard..... I'm using a white macbook 2.4 ghz 4 gig ram with 10.5.8 no problems whatsoever...
gevola 5:19 PM - 29 January, 2010
Quote:
might have to do with snow leopard..... I'm using a white macbook 2.4 ghz 4 gig ram with 10.5.8 no problems whatsoever...

hmm the problem seems related to the latest build of MAC Pro 2.5GHz. with 4GByte
Probably is a problem of graphic driver .... :(
Musically Minded 5:35 PM - 29 January, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

hmm the problem seems related to the latest build of MAC Pro 2.5GHz. with 4GByte

That sucks big time :-( !!!
DJS/R 5:46 PM - 29 January, 2010
I have this problem with same mbp... This actually is upsetting however it only gets bad when I am clicking thru my files...
gevola 5:51 PM - 29 January, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hi Musically Minded .. okky SL works better also if the waveform stutter ... but ( at lest for me ) this stuttering annoying.
bgardali 5:52 PM - 29 January, 2010
How much stutter are you experiencing? Is it so bad your grandmother would notice it if she looked at it? I'm asking because I feel like mine stutters somewhat and I'm on a mbp dual 2.6, 4 gig, 7200 rpm drive, snow leopard 1.6.2 (purchased march 08) (previous mbp model). However, its minor, it's not crazy stutter. Is this what you are experiencing?
Musically Minded 6:19 PM - 29 January, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hi Musically Minded .. okky SL works better also if the waveform stutter ... but ( at lest for me ) this stuttering annoying.

Yes very annoying even thou it is just a minnor stutter
hyun 6:35 PM - 29 January, 2010
I picked up a new MacBook a few weeks ago, I noticed this, but doesn't seem to be a big deal.
bgardali 6:43 PM - 29 January, 2010
Anyone have video of it they could post or link to?
dj_penguin 7:23 PM - 29 January, 2010
I've had a few stutters of the waveforms, but only in the 1.9.x series.

With any luck, the upcoming 2.0 release will fix this issue.
Marx&Villain 7:44 PM - 29 January, 2010
no problems on my MBP. running OSX 10.5.7
gevola 7:46 PM - 29 January, 2010
Quote:
I picked up a new MacBook a few weeks ago, I noticed this, but doesn't seem to be a big deal.

hyun .. can you tell me which type of MBP do you have ?
gevola 7:46 PM - 29 January, 2010
Quote:
no problems on my MBP. running OSX 10.5.7

Marx&Villain .. can you tell me which type of MBP do you have ?
the_black_one 7:55 PM - 29 January, 2010
what waiveforms?
hyun 7:57 PM - 29 January, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

hyun .. can you tell me which type of MBP do you have ?

I got a MacBook, not a MBP
the_black_one 7:59 PM - 29 January, 2010
it's going to do it on ALL macs, its been something that has been around for a long time.Just on mac not on PC.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:06 PM - 29 January, 2010
have you tried changing your graphics from energy saver to better performance or back???
gevola 8:07 PM - 29 January, 2010
Quote:
have you tried changing your graphics from energy saver to better performance or back???

yes .. and also reduced the refresh rate to 30 FPS
djGReddy 8:25 PM - 29 January, 2010
only does it with running video.. and also gets worst when you connect it to external video source. like from mini display to vga into a pc to tv convertor.
SG SOUNDS 12:17 PM - 23 February, 2010
ok we all now know its a problem with all macs, now the question is will it ever be fixed? maybe with the next scracth live update can anybody confirm this?
gevola 1:28 PM - 23 February, 2010
Quote:
ok we all now know its a problem with all macs

the problem is not in all MAC .. but in MACBook Pro produced in the 2009 ...
and unfortunately Serato 2.0 has the same problem.

Unfortunately I think ( this is only my opinion ) that only the Serato teams can talk with Apple to understand were the problem is .. because it is really difficulty explain to the Apple customer care this problem.
The Return of Dj Sparky 1:34 PM - 23 February, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Is it true ?

ha ha guess mac's arn't so trouble free
DJ DisGrace 2:06 PM - 23 February, 2010
Quote:

I have a 2.4GHz MBP w/ 10.5.8 and no stutter... maybe it is the higher cockspeed models?
DJ DisGrace 2:06 PM - 23 February, 2010
*clockspeed*....... whoa
gevola 2:33 PM - 23 February, 2010
hI DJ DisGrace,
is the same clock sped of my MBP.
When was made your MBP ?
DJ DisGrace 2:47 PM - 23 February, 2010
it's a 5.1 model.... bought it Jan 2009
DJ DisGrace 2:47 PM - 23 February, 2010
your MBP is 2.53 isn't it?
gevola 2:51 PM - 23 February, 2010
Quote:
your MBP is 2.53 isn't it?

yes .. my faulty ..
Anyway my model board id 5.4 bought on November 2009
I think that the problem is some changes introduced by Apple in the middle of 2009.
gevola 3:25 PM - 23 February, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Is it true ?

ha ha guess mac's arn't so trouble free

Unfortunately you are right
gevola 10:45 PM - 29 March, 2010
Hi all
there is someone that have a winXp on a MAC, I'm talking of Bootcamp 3.1(the latest update).
I have executed some test , and find that the problem is not visible on WinXP.
So same hardware but different software
Please is someone that can do my same test ?
Will08272 11:59 PM - 29 March, 2010
It maybe a problem with snow leopard because i made a post not to long ago that i was experiencing this problem also, execpt i have a netbook with snow leopard installed on it, i reinstalled win xp on my netbook and i didnt have this problem with the waveforms. I reinstalled snow leopard right after and again the waveforms were stuttering. It may not be much help since it is a hackingtosh but im experiencing the same problem also, so it might be a snow leopard thing.
boabmatic 8:57 AM - 30 March, 2010
I saw the issue on leopard & snow leopard on the same hardware (13inch MBP)

not tried the bootcamp XP install.
gevola 9:24 AM - 30 March, 2010
From my test, I found that after install winXP on MAC and then installed BootCamp on Windows ( that install the all driver for the MAC ), I got the same problem ...
In this case the driver of nVidia was dated April 2009
Then I have upddated the BootCamp on windows .. and found that the date on nVidia driver is now January 2010.
Tried again SL .. and NO Stuttering .......
So this means that the problem is related to the grpahic card and not the HD.
C. William 8:39 PM - 30 March, 2010
i've got this problem too...scares the shit out of me every time

white macbook 13" 2009 4gb ram (i forget the processor speed at the moment...i think it's 2.2ghz)
SMOKE DOGG BITCH 6:55 PM - 31 March, 2010
if you bought the base model mbp or mb that could be your issue... base model comes with nvidia i believe 9400 graffix card... next step up have same card as well as 9600gt graffix accelerator wich can be turned on or off based on performance demands
gevola 7:04 PM - 31 March, 2010
Hi All,

I confirm that other guys found that installing winXP on a MAC and updating the nVidia driver the stuttering disappear ..
So the problem seems related to the graphic card driver.

Please read this thread www.serato.com
gevola 2:32 PM - 1 April, 2010
Hi guys,

I have created a new thread on Apple about this issue.
Moreover I have opened also a ticket.

Please, who have this problem, can add the MBP details into the thread I have created on Apple site?

This is the link:
discussions.apple.com

Thanks.