DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How you you handle really annoying or rude people when you are dj-ing?

boo-boo 10:53 PM - 24 January, 2010
Hey,

I'm new to DJ-ing. Got started about a year and a half ago and lovin it :)

I like to think I pretty good with most people and can handle the silly drunkness and stuff that goes with the territory and thats all fine. I have to say that 99% of people that approach asking for requests or to ask what I'm using to DJ (as I guess the VCI 300 set up looks pretty new to most people) are really nice and friendly.

However how do you handle really really annoying people to just keep coming up to the booth in a drunken state shouting for this that or the other and sloshing their drink about (now THAT does annoy me - don't touch my set up!).

The is a bar/club where I have a residency is a nice little venue but the DJ booth is right in the middle of the place and on floor level so everyone waltzes past. There is one guy in his 50's who EVERY time I play there has to say really rude things. I'm female so a bit of flack is perhaps part of it but this guy whenever I walk past with my stuff to set up makes some comment like "ooh isn't she pretty" or "she's really gorgeous isn't she" to other guys at the bar. Yeah whatever I'm not bothered but then when I'm actually DJing and on his own he comes up and askes for really obsure stuff and when I say I don't have it he says things like "you're shit, I hope you have a CV cos you'll need it", the first time I played there he asked for something I hadn't heard of but I said I'd check it out and if it was any good I'd play it so the next time he asked me if I had it and I said no that I couldn't find it under the title he'd given me. He replied with "what do you do all day? are you lazy... you should be looking for it". Last night was a cracker cos he came up and asked for Phil Collins of all flippin' things! Yeah like right! To top it off I was in the middle of a nice little hip-hop groove with the dance floor bopping away to the tunes!

BTW - he is a regular so I've told the manager last night and he is gonna watch him for me. But he is a regular so DJ pissing of regular punter ain't gonna go down too well.

Also the number of people that think because I have a laptop in front of me I must be able to connect to the internet and get some god awful out of place tune from you tube is unbelievable!

Ok ...sorry folks. I've gone off on one there. I'd just like to hear how you guys and gals handle down right rude people or the totally annoying ones that just wont go away.
Logisticalstyles 11:15 PM - 24 January, 2010
Does this spot have security? If so I would get security to handle him. Just because he's a regular doen't mean he can treat you any old way. I've worked at bars where some regulars were not the managers favorite customers.
Audio1 4:01 AM - 25 January, 2010
Ive been DJing for a very long time. I try to avoid people who asks for requests. Its a catch 22 of sorts because early in the DJ game, You want to make as many fans of you as you can. Playing someone's request can help alot (sometimes). When dealing with rude people, Be polite and tell em if you do have a song or not. Dont make promises that you will play ssomething, as these people sometimes will bug you until you play the track. Alot of people are drunk and talk alot of shit. Pay them no mind, Stay focused on what you and do what you came to do, Rock the party and make the venue owners happy.
Audio1 4:05 AM - 25 January, 2010
An example, on Friday, There was a few birthday parties at the venue I played at (Apartment 24, San Francisco). One of the birthday parties was a big group of Indian people and they kept coming up, requesting Bhangra music. I unfortunately do not have any if anything a few tracks. I was polite and told them that I dont really have this style of music but if I find anything that fits the bill, I would play it. I decided it was time to switch the styles and I dropped Panjabi MC/Jay-Z "Beware of the Boys (Mundian To Bach Ke)" The party jumped at that moment. I know it wasnt much but the Bhangra crew was real appreciative about it. Like I said, It can work or fail... You always take risks as a DJ and thats how you learn.
SteadFast 6:05 AM - 25 January, 2010
I agree with audio1. I've had my share of rude people, and I think a lot of times they don't realize how rude they are being because of the alcohol.
I method I use that seems to be effective with the rude ones is I just kill them with kindness. Whatever song they request I always tell them its a great song, how much i love it too, and thank them for giving me the request. Then if I decide not to play the song, and they come back asking why I didn't play it, I act like I'm all upset and tell them I must of left it on my other external hard drive.
Audio1 6:10 AM - 25 January, 2010
^^ That can work sometimes... I try to be honest. if someone is going to ask me for some super hood LIL WAYNE or SLAYER, I wont play it. I wont string em along. Honesty is always key... LOL
s3kn0tr0n1c 8:29 AM - 25 January, 2010
i just ignore them as if they werent ther....usually im in the mix and cant take my mind off it to try and have a conversation or deal with them.....if they think im rude for ignoring them then i think ther rude for trying to talk to somone whos "in the mix"...;)
KYLE SMILE 2:40 PM - 25 January, 2010
I've worked all over the UK and abroad for years in Spain and Andorra and some people are disgustingly rude. Just because they've had a drink they think they can talk to you however they want - i mean, any other job you'd get the police involved if someone called you a stupid c*nt for not doing what they say.

You just have to learn to ignore it and laugh about it rather than it getting to you. I try to turn situations like that into funny ones, joking with the customer about what they've requested when it's completely the opposite of what i'm playing.

Alternatively if someone pisses me off, i'll stop the music and say something about the person - saying it's their birthday and they're buying everyone a drink at the bar or that they're looking for a shag that night. They'll soon stop coming up.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:46 PM - 25 January, 2010
Quote:
I'm female so a bit of flack is perhaps part of it but this guy whenever I walk past with my stuff to set up makes some comment like "ooh isn't she pretty" or "she's really gorgeous isn't she" to other guys at the bar. quote]

pics or it didnt happen!
SUBSTANCE 10:20 PM - 25 January, 2010
I also go with the polite & less drunk route. Getting angry invites more grief.
If you don't have a song, it's easier to just say that than screw up your face because the punter hasn't respected what you're doing.
I see wack comments get under the skin of otherwise good DJ's. Hating the entire venue when in reality it's one or two douchebags with big mouths & bad taste.
I don't lie. I'm not afraid to say 'Sorry, I don't have it' or 'I've never heard of that'.
The day you say 'nah man, love that song, left it on my other drive' will be the day they pull out a flash drive full of garbage.
boo-boo 7:57 AM - 26 January, 2010
Thanks guys. Its good to hear your stories. Yeah I go with the 'nope sorry I don't have that' line too.

Ha ha DJ M.Bezzle! Btw, I wasn't saying tat to sound all big headed, I just meant like he makes comments when his mates are around but never says a word if the bar manager is in ear shot.

Kyle Smile - Lovin' the music off technique!

And no Logistic the place only has security on club nights, which I sometimes work. The bar manager knows and actually you are spot on - this guy I mention isn't a favourite customer at all.

Thanks folks - really good to hear your experiences.
al83 8:00 AM - 26 January, 2010
this always works for me:
pool.org.au
DJ Michael Basic 8:50 AM - 26 January, 2010
My standard answer to any request is, "I don't have it."
Booyah 2:55 PM - 29 January, 2010
here's another I just tell them yes if I have and no if i don't BUT if I do have it I tell them that it will get played just not at the moment because I dont want to throw off the crowd of i say I have a routine and that song is included so dont worry it'll get played throughout the night, and another one is i played it already and I dont play the same song twice, which I dont and will never do! Unless someone has a hefty tip for playing their request but I never ask for it. But when they get beligerent I ingore them and ask them "are you paying me? do I work for you directly?..... OK! Nuff said then! SECURITY!
DJ Mitchzilla 4:26 PM - 29 January, 2010
I'm saving up money for a cage and a sign that says "Don't Feed the DJ."
DJCheLu 3:21 AM - 1 February, 2010
I dj three bars every week and i have learned a few tricks :). If your a female you should have no problem getting bouncer to help you out to keep creeps away. I get to know all the bouncer and they usually all come by to say whats up every ten minutes or so, thats when i tell them my issues. I also have a flashlight i flash at them when there is an issue like an a hole, or even a broken glass on the floor. Usually the best place to watch the dance floor for fights is right next to the dj booth anyways.

Another trick i use is just telling them the owner wont let me play that here. Which is true at most places but it works great. I tell them to ask the owner if they want that song played. They go on a drunking search looking for someone who is not there.

I always listen to everyones request with a smile and if its good i search it write away. If not i just smile and nod yes. I honestly forget 90% of the requests anyways because so many people want there jam.

Last night i had this idiot trying to rap to me, thinking i could some how give him a contract or something. I just ignored him all night long making hand signs that i cant hear him because of the music :). He got the hint and left thinking I couldnt hear him.

To really big a holes who request random songs and dont stop bothering me. I actually play the song but i do it extremely abruptly right in the middle of the other song and get on the mic and point out who requested it to every pissed off person on the dance floor. Only done this twice but both times the people were regulars but i can only be so nice. They never requested a song again and life goes on :).

GL HF
DJ Goce 3:45 AM - 1 February, 2010
"Jedi" 2 finger calming technique is my last resource... just grab the boring subject with your thumb and point finger right between his shoulder and his neck , squeeze with force, and ask with the most gentle tone, what you said? works all the time....
DJ Kidd Insomnia 4:29 AM - 1 February, 2010
Overall its a tough thing to balance. I will take peoples requests and will try to make a conscious effort to play their song.....Of course some requests are thrown right out just because of the spot you are djing at and the music the owner wants to be played there.

Things have changed over the years though as to the way I treat requests. I use to have a filter for those drunken people that make requests consistently and ask why are u not playing my song, but to tell you the truth if the person is rude to me then I will be rude to them. I have been doing this for over ten years and have gotten sick and tired of people who come up to you and give you a hard time all night. Your their to work and to play for the crowd. It has always puzzled me as to why people get so upset over a dj not playing there song. Will that 2 or 3 minutes in the night make or break you having a good time? DJ's deserve respect (especially if your the reason people are coming to the venue) and if one patron is not givng it to you then why should you give it to them.....
dohreimee 8:03 AM - 1 February, 2010
LMAO. I did an engagement party the other night, and a 10 year old girl came up to me and asked if I had "how many licks" by Lil Kim - I just said no, and "you shouldnt be listening to that"
DJMattHowes 1:02 PM - 1 February, 2010
Quote:
I've worked all over the UK and abroad for years in Spain and Andorra and some people are disgustingly rude. Just because they've had a drink they think they can talk to you however they want - i mean, any other job you'd get the police involved if someone called you a stupid c*nt for not doing what they say.

You just have to learn to ignore it and laugh about it rather than it getting to you. I try to turn situations like that into funny ones, joking with the customer about what they've requested when it's completely the opposite of what i'm playing.

Alternatively if someone pisses me off, i'll stop the music and say something about the person - saying it's their birthday and they're buying everyone a drink at the bar or that they're looking for a shag that night. They'll soon stop coming up.

^^ Hahahaahaha!
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:00 PM - 1 February, 2010
Quote:
"Jedi" 2 finger calming technique is my last resource... just grab the boring subject with your thumb and point finger right between his shoulder and his neck , squeeze with force, and ask with the most gentle tone, what you said? works all the time....

...that was a vulcan technique not a jedi technique, your confusing star trk with the trilogy, NERD FAIL
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:02 PM - 1 February, 2010
Quote:
LMAO. I did an engagement party the other night, and a 10 year old girl came up to me and asked if I had "how many licks" by Lil Kim - I just said no, and "you shouldnt be listening to that"

lol thats nothing last night i was at my girls house and he sister and her 3 year old daughter were there and her 3 year old walks into the room saying "Before I leave, brush my teeth with a bottle of Jack Cause when I leave for the night, I ain't coming back "
DJ Goce 4:36 PM - 1 February, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

lol thats nothing last night i was at my girls house and he sister and her 3 year old daughter were there and her 3 year old walks into the room saying "Before I leave, brush my teeth with a bottle of Jack Cause when I leave for the night, I ain't coming back "

Quote:
Quote:

...that was a vulcan technique not a jedi technique, your confusing star trk with the trilogy, NERD FAIL

LOL!!! my bad... anyways.. it works!!!
Audio1 5:04 PM - 1 February, 2010
Quote:
Overall its a tough thing to balance. I will take peoples requests and will try to make a conscious effort to play their song.....Of course some requests are thrown right out just because of the spot you are djing at and the music the owner wants to be played there.
+1

The main thing, regardless if they are nice or rude, Keep your composure and see if the track they request fits the current setting and vibe... If its a big tempo change, save it for another time..

Alot of times, People will be like "When Are you going to play it?" Never give them an estimate or make promises. You are only inviting them to bother you later on.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:09 PM - 1 February, 2010
talking gibberish over their head works sometimes, if you get some lil blonde that you know isnt a musician just tell her look the song you requested isnt in the BPM range of the pitch phaser on this particular unit of technique nor is this pitch claibrated to impliment a key change or that caliber , you see boom boom pow is 90 BPM and the crack im currently playing is abour roughly 200 to 300 BPM not i can only make pitch variations of +-12 semitones or 7 to 12 spaces on the camelot chart so the eatrliest i can play your song is febuary 19th 2021, please make sure to be in attendance as i will never take another request for you if your not there....

Usually half way through that they get so annoyed buy me they dont care about the music anymore
DJ Bushido 6:11 PM - 1 February, 2010
lol @ Dj-M.Bezzle
@ DJ Boo Boo; Get a clip board with the top saying, REQUEST SHEET in medium print, and in bold, Tipped Request will play first over all other Request.
$1 add up, but being rude, I blast them on the Mic. Fuck that shit, I have zero Tolerance.
I get:
Hey play that new jam, by *.* fill in the blank, then walk off
Or can you play a song I can dance, too, when the dance floor is packed. WTF? I say get you ass on the Dance floor.
Hey play *.* Now bro, thanks
I personally don't care for simple minded people like this, You just can't take it personally. I don't drink and DJ Thur-Sunday. I see these F@#ks every week, not everyone granted there are many cool peeps that hang out and have a great time. it is just the one's dan't get it. No Really, They DON'T. just keep working on your Craft, you will do well, Being a DJ now, and getting paid for it, is getting harder and harder. My Club get's about 3 Demo's about Every Day. So you might be doing something right.

play what works, and if you can hook them up. they come there for the Bar, your and added bonus, but if you can hook them up, fast on the fly, then you will win them over. so if you had to move to another Location, they will follow.

when you build a following then you build leverage. anyways I lost my point, to rude ass people. if all else, Just Say No.
DC10555 6:50 PM - 1 February, 2010
Kick em in the crotch.
DJ Bushido 7:03 PM - 1 February, 2010
Quote:
Kick em in the crotch.

lol
Audio1 7:15 PM - 1 February, 2010
Quote:
Kick em in the crotch.
Lady gaga
DJ Bushido 7:25 PM - 1 February, 2010
Kick em in the Lady Gaga